Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I can see how you could come to the conclusion that Gennai was Jijimon in human form since they fill the same role and it wouldn't be the last time that Digimon with human forms would appear in the franchise.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's not even the last time in Adventure.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I wound up grabbing the game+patch thanks to this thread,but now I've run into a hurdle: when I start the game up,it says no save data was found and doesn't give the option to create it. I'm using PPSSPP to emulate,for reference.

Edit:Goddammit,I forgot about the whole "Japanese=backwards buttons" thing. Nevermind.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 31, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

I wound up grabbing the game+patch thanks to this thread,but now I've run into a hurdle: when I start the game up,it says no save data was found and doesn't give the option to create it. I'm using PPSSPP to emulate,for reference.

Edit:Goddammit,I forgot about the whole "Japanese=backwards buttons" thing. Nevermind.

Yup, whenever you see me exit out of a menu and then back into a menu, that is what is happening to me. O = accept, X = cancel. It makes sense (a cross does equal 'wrong' after all), but is not what were are conditioned into here. It has caught me out at least 6 times in the new recordings. Also, don't run it on PSP3000 mode. There is a bug supposedly, stopping you after a certain point in the game.

Once you make a save in game, that menu won't get in your way any more.

e; also, we should maybe make this the last filez chat, just to be on the safe side of the rules. Just wanted to get that PSP3000 bug known. We cleared the thread with Geop before posting, but we don't want to turn this from LP discussion to emulation discussion and get thrown out, haha. If you have it, don't talk about how you got it or how you are running it. Just talk about the game itself, and any asides that are rule friendly.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 31, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
We have excellent PPSSPP (unless this has been archived?) and Retro Games threads where you can talk about that stuff freely with people more knowledgeable than us anyway.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I named my Augumon "Dongs",of course.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

VolticSurge posted:

Lol yeah. I hit that wall when I tried playing it in Japanese.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The whole thing about O as yes/correct and X as no/wrong is pretty common with media imported from Japan. Hell in Monster Rancher, the standard tournament format had O as a victory and X as a defeat. Additionally in Wonder Project J: Machine Boy Pino the interface-robot you controlled, Tinker, makes an O or an X with her arms depending on whether Pino is performing an action that is correct or not.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Didn't Metal Gear Solid keep that even when it came over here?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh hey I just finished this game. It's not bad! It's not quite the same as the original DW for many reasons, but I think the original DW would be something that you'd struggle to make deliberately. This one's a lot more polished and I actually think it's to the game's detriment overall. I have a bunch of other gripes but we need to see them in action first. There are also a bunch of things it does really well, and things that would be awesome in original flavour DW! But overall it just doesn't quiiiiiite hit that bizarre balance that the original does.

I don't really have any tips. The game's pretty good at directing you where you need to go (in stark contrast to DW1), and most digimons are viable, if not pretty princess enough for me. I think I only used four to reach the ending, and I basically let one of those die intentionally because reasons.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh hey I just finished this game. It's not bad! It's not quite the same as the original DW for many reasons, but I think the original DW would be something that you'd struggle to make deliberately. This one's a lot more polished and I actually think it's to the game's detriment overall. I have a bunch of other gripes but we need to see them in action first. There are also a bunch of things it does really well, and things that would be awesome in original flavour DW! But overall it just doesn't quiiiiiite hit that bizarre balance that the original does.

I don't really have any tips. The game's pretty good at directing you where you need to go (in stark contrast to DW1), and most digimons are viable, if not pretty princess enough for me. I think I only used four to reach the ending, and I basically let one of those die intentionally because reasons.

Yeah, original DW is definitely something you would struggle to make. It is a rough gem, filled with imperfections which make it kinda nice to look at. This is faaar more polished.

I've actually really been enjoying it so far, it has been pretty good stuff. Just the little things, like the game explaining what the hell you are supposed to be doing, go a long way in making it much more playable. This feels more like an RPG, and less like an accidental exploration simulator, which is how the original felt due to poor direction and signposting. Hopefully we won't run into any glaring issues, it seems like it has none in the beginning to say the least outside of impossible minigames.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Another Person posted:

I never got to play DW2, it never came out on these shores. I will probably have to give it a shot some day to find out what it was really like. I only got the first, and 3 (2003 in this country, since it was technically the second we saw). Well, I got Rumble Arena too, but that doesn't count.

Similar, I'm Australian, and only got DW2 because of importing. It's similar in the sense the premise of the game is being a tamer attached to an organization that battles wild digimon. But otherwise has nothing to do with Savers.

Savers was originally pitched as a gang series, where the protagonists would be rival gang members with Masaru as a sort of lone gunman out to prove he was the best in the world by beating the everliving gently caress out of everyone else. Yoshino played the leader of an all female yakuza gang, and Thoma played an agent who took down the American Mafia.

Then right after the pitch was made it was immediatly shot down, killing my hopes for Digimon Banchou

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Another Person posted:

Ahhhh, no chance of me getting one then. The 10 year old in me is upset.

A few (3-4-ish) years back, I picked up a Tag and Crest on Etsy. It was neat, but the cord was too small for my giant-rear end head, and the crest's color washed out after a couple years, but it's a neat thing to see.

Edit: Been watching the video while typing this. I like this game, just never had a chance to play it.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 31, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Onmi posted:

Savers was originally pitched as a gang series, where the protagonists would be rival gang members with Masaru as a sort of lone gunman out to prove he was the best in the world by beating the everliving gently caress out of everyone else. Yoshino played the leader of an all female yakuza gang, and Thoma played an agent who took down the American Mafia.

Then right after the pitch was made it was immediatly shot down, killing my hopes for Digimon Banchou

Ironically, the Banchō did become a group within Digimon lore, one of even appearing in Savers/Data Squad.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So uh as the guy who LPed the original Digimon World twice I'll proabably look into this once SGDQ is done.

Yes I did get up extra early for the DW run and ended up an hour early why do you ask?

I could withstand DeSu2's character designs and even run Hinako in my main crew so surviving this would be trivial.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh hey OFS, I was the guy who in your SSLP thread who made a huge fuckoff post about beating the whole game with 2 digimon, one of which turned from the basic Agumon into a MetalGreymon, and then SkullGreymon. I imagine I was insufferable to read, because my posts back then were huge.

Also, how was the DW speedrun? I haven't caught it yet. Is it any better than the commentated speedrun which is already on YT?

Allllllso, since I kinda know the game, a thing I might end up doing during this thread is just doing a full DW Speedrun without any optimization. Just one long marathon recording. It would probably take about 5/6 hours to get 100 prosperity using purely my memory, it took about that last time I tried it.

Finally, Digimon Bancho version of Digimon Savers is what I want. That would be greeeeaaat.

e; new ep in like 20 mins probably

Another Person fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 31, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Another Person posted:

Also, how was the DW speedrun? I haven't caught it yet. Is it any better than the commentated speedrun which is already on YT?

I haven't seen that one, but I checked and they use Birdramon. The SGDQ one got the Greymon donation incentive so it has a spinning dinosaur and very little of the marathon luck that's been plaguing the Zelda runs. It's pretty smooth.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I haven't seen that one, but I checked and they use Birdramon. The SGDQ one got the Greymon donation incentive so it has a spinning dinosaur and very little of the marathon luck that's been plaguing the Zelda runs. It's pretty smooth.

Greymon? SGDQ speedrun is already cooler.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
New Episode.

Episode 2 - Bus Nerd

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

-On Digitorin.

I'm no expert but I think the generic japanese word for bird is "tori" and one of the ways the like to nickname cute things is to attach to or replace the end syllable to the tune of -in( pronounced like "eeen"). I've seen it in a few things.

Again, no language authority, just a weeb. I stopped early to mention it right before you guys worked it out.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Mikey can actually read Japanese (and speak), so he is likely to point cool things like that out every now and then. Any cool translation things anyone can spot though that might not get noticed by me or mikey, if you notice it, mention it in here. Cool stuff like that interests me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

nehezir posted:

-On Digitorin.

I'm no expert but I think the generic japanese word for bird is "tori" and one of the ways the like to nickname cute things is to attach to or replace the end syllable to the tune of -in( pronounced like "eeen"). I've seen it in a few things.

Again, no language authority, just a weeb.

More or less. For someone who has studied Japanese for as long as I have it took me an embarassingly long time to remember how to say "bird". :(

The -in, or just -n, is pretty common for nicknames. In reality it's whatever sounds cute/whatever the person likes more that sticks as a nickname.

I just watched a video the other day that explained it really well, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. I'll post it if it ever shows up for me again.

e:

Another Person posted:

Mikey can actually read Japanese (and speak), so he is likely to point cool things like that out every now and then. Any cool translation things anyone can spot though that might not get noticed by me or mikey, if you notice it, mention it in here. Cool stuff like that interests me.

It should be noted though that I've never seen the original Japanese for this game, so unless it's apparent in the translation there will probably be Japaneseisms I'll miss, especially if they were diligent in their localization.

Also AP grossly overestimates my Japanese ability.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 31, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm confused by the fact the DemiDevimon was using its Japanese name of PicoDevimon while Candlemon is using its dub name when, if we're going by the original Japanese names, it should be Candmon. Also, that is DemiMeramon of Candlemon's head or PetiMeramon if we're going by original names.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
This would probably have been a group effort to translate, so you may get a few cases where different names have different languages they are translated faithfully to. One person may translate more literally than another, another might change the names to the Western name. I imagine it can be quite difficult to proofread and spot those issues in the runup to the release. Not the biggest issue in the world, really.

e; unless we are given instructions to speak to a Digimon, and the name we are instructed to go to is different to the one the Digimon has due to translation issues. That might be an issue, but I doubt that would happen.

e; mikey totally speaks japanese like his mothers tongue. infact, it is his natural language and english is his second.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 31, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm confused by the fact the DemiDevimon was using its Japanese name of PicoDevimon while Candlemon is using its dub name when, if we're going by the original Japanese names, it should be Candmon. Also, that is DemiMeramon of Candlemon's head or PetiMeramon if we're going by original names.

If I were to take a wild guess I would say they just picked whichever sounded better to them. In the case of digi-names, it seems like a reasonable loc decision.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And Digimon has never been great when it came to consistent localization which is how we get things like Devimon being called Darkmon in the localized V-Pet as well as Bearmon using its original name Kumamon in DW3 even though the name "Kumamon" would be later used as Chackmon's dub name in Frontier.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

My pc is presently out of commission so I'm posting from phone. Going to avoid multi quoting.

Game Translation: It was a group effort and I'm pretty sure they had some dropouts over time. That was part of what took so long.
Japanese poo poo: I really like picking up on trends so this kind of thing interests me.
Boss Fight: you should get enough stats, new skills, and hp from evolution to handle it. Though you will wanna stock back up on floppies.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

And Digimon has never been great when it came to consistent localization which is how we get things like Devimon being called Darkmon in the localized V-Pet as well as Bearmon using its original name Kumamon in DW3 even though the name "Kumamon" would be later used as Chackmon's dub name in Frontier.

Okay, there is a single spoiler I want to know. Is Kumamon in this game?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

As far as I know, neither Bearmon nor Chackmon are in Re:Digitize.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

He is not.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Booooo. Kumamon is so pro.

e; Bearmon, even. Didn't realise Kumamon is a totally different digimon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It gets better, Centarumon's original name is officially translated as Centalmon with Kentarumon as a previous translation (which is presumably where the dub name came from).

Yes, even the original Japanese version has translation inconsistencies it would seem.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 31, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

It gets better, Centarumon's original name is officially translated as Centalmon with Kentarumon as a previous translation (which is presumably where the dub name came from).

Yes, even the original Japanese version has translation inconsistencies it would seem.

Wait, do you mean it is mistranslated in general, or in this game? If the latter, I will keep my eye out for it.

Also, you guys, I'm am super bummed out I won't be able to get Bearmon in this. I regret asking for the spoiler. Take it back, take it all back. Bearmon rules.

Maniac Pack 4eva.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Wait, do you mean it is mistranslated in general, or in this game? If the latter, I will keep my eye out for it.

I mean in general, Centarumon doesn't even appear in this game: Centalmon

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ahhh, just in general then. Also, I've never noticed that Centarumon's other hand is weird. I always thought it was the same sort of colour as his chest and not some burn victim claw.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Another Person posted:

Ahhh, just in general then. Also, I've never noticed that Centarumon's other hand is weird. I always thought it was the same sort of colour as his chest and not some burn victim claw.

When his other hand is some kind of weird flesh-cannon and he's covered with inexplicable purple lumps of armor(?), a weird claw is the least of his worries. He was one of the early, really weird X-treme era designs.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
A few tips that might make your life in the digiworld easier:

The gym in the Arena area and the Center of town functionally count as two different places, there are separate digimon that upgrade how much stats these gyms raise

You start off with a clinic in the starting city where you can recover your fatigue/tiredness

The arena battles can give you some nice items early in the game if you fight some of the easier battles (there seems to be no downside to losing in these battles)

Also i put forward a vote that your digimon should wear an afro accessory as soon as you unlock it

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Geostomp posted:

When his other hand is some kind of weird flesh-cannon and he's covered with inexplicable purple lumps of armor(?), a weird claw is the least of his worries. He was one of the early, really weird X-treme era designs.

Yeah, Digimon's design shift could be compared to how technology has developed with older Digimon looking more crudely made, with wires, stitching, and the like sticking out of them for no real reason like old computers while newer designs became sleeker, with less of cumbersome stuff on them like modern laptops.

Compare classic MetalGreymon:

To its Savers/Data Squad counterpart RizeGreymon and MetalGreymon from Xros Wars/Fusion:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 21, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
By the way, for the unaware, Bandai is doing a series of OVA going back to the adventure universe called Digimon Adventure Tri

It looks pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I want an anime based on ryo's anode tamer games.

Or maybe a remake of those games.

• Locked thread