Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I hope this leads to another series in a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Raccoonboy posted:

A few tips that might make your life in the digiworld easier:

The gym in the Arena area and the Center of town functionally count as two different places, there are separate digimon that upgrade how much stats these gyms raise

You start off with a clinic in the starting city where you can recover your fatigue/tiredness

The arena battles can give you some nice items early in the game if you fight some of the easier battles (there seems to be no downside to losing in these battles)

Also i put forward a vote that your digimon should wear an afro accessory as soon as you unlock it

I looked at these spoilers since they seemed to be basic gameplay tips, and I kinda figured that was how the gyms worked based on future events. We have recorded up to about 6 episodes so far, so you will see some of the things you mention. I understand your spoiler caution though.

I will be sure to look into arena battles next recording session though. I assumed that since someone in the city said there was nobody manning the desk that it would be an unlock.

Chimera-gui posted:

Yeah, Digimon's design shift could be compared to how technology has developed with older Digimon looking more crudely made, with wires, stitching, and the like sticking out of them for no real reason like old computers while newer designs became sleeker, with less of cumbersome stuff on them like modern laptops.

Compare classic MetalGreymon:

To its Savers/Data Squad counterpart RizeGreymon and MetalGreymon from Xros Wars/Fusion:

Original designs forever. I liked the grungy, hacked together aesthetic the original designs had. They kind of set it apart from rival series, like Pokemon, where everything just looked so clinical. I'd say modern Digimon designs kinda suffer from that squeaky clean look these days.

Onmi posted:

By the way, for the unaware, Bandai is doing a series of OVA going back to the adventure universe called Digimon Adventure Tri

bigass image

It looks pretty neat.

It sure does. I hope that gets officially translated.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 1, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Geostomp posted:

I hope this leads to another series in a year or two.

well it's going to be I think 7 OVAs? It was originally a series but they changed their minds.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It was originally going to be a series that was slated to start months ago.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Another Person posted:

Original designs forever. I liked the grungy, hacked together aesthetic the original designs had. They kind of set it apart from rival series, like Pokemon, where everything just looked so clinical. I'd say modern Digimon designs kinda suffer from that squeaky clean look these days.
Too much chrome digizoid.
http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Chrome_Digizoid

nehezir fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 1, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

I actually don't mind the new designs that much, they're still badass in action and I imagine that the grungy aesthetic is a pain in the rear end to animate and make video game models for hence the shift.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 1, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGcjZ2nxbI

I dunno I think they do a good job of capturing the rough designs

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

i didn't expect an actual lore reason behind the metals used in the game

Chimera-gui posted:

I actually don't mind the new designs that much, they're still badass in action and I imagine that the grungy aesthetic is a pain in the rear end to animate and make video game models for hence the shift.

True, they probably are a pain in the rear end to animate. But I imagine that once you get to high action scenes you decrease the detail used in animation. Although, I don't have an excuse for videogame models.

Also that OVA looks preeeetty good. Now if only I knew what OVA means...

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Movies tend to have a higher budget though compared to a television series so of the animation quality's going to be better.

To give an example of the simplification I'm talking about, look at Agumon's Bandai art:

Now look at its Toei animation model:

As you can see, the Toei model is less detailed with larger, rounder eyes and without the vein in it's arm. Hell, the Bandai art for Re:Digitize is closer to the animation model than the old Bandai art:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 1, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
And then there's one of my favorite representations of Agumon:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Another Person posted:

I will be sure to look into arena battles next recording session though. I assumed that since someone in the city said there was nobody manning the desk that it would be an unlock.

Yeah I grossly underestimated some of the stuff you get from these. Even if you just immediately pawn it for cash, it's still worth it, especially as I don't think arena battles cost time or fatigue. I cleared the whole thing out in an in-game day so I'm pretty sure it costs literally nothing to try. There's some other stuff about it but I really don't know if it constitutes spoilers so I guess I should message it to Mikey?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, go ahead and let Mikey know what they are, he won't reveal them to me, just nudge me towards good things.

mikeycp posted:

And then there's one of my favorite representations of Agumon:

best agumon

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Another Person posted:

i didn't expect an actual lore reason behind the metals used in the game

Also that OVA looks preeeetty good. Now if only I knew what OVA means...

Digimon has a lot of background lore rhat comes on othee media and doesn't really get used in the anime.

OVA stands for Original Video Animation. They're direct-to-DVD(both movies and short series) releases so calling Tri that is mistaken. Tri is a series of movies that is getting a theatrical release.

Most folk think it applies to everything that doesn't fit into the normal description of a seasonal anime.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

nehezir posted:

Digimon has a lot of background lore rhat comes on othee media and doesn't really get used in the anime.

OVA stands for Original Video Animation. They're direct-to-DVD(both movies and short series) releases so calling Tri that is mistaken. Tri is a series of movies that is getting a theatrical release.

Most folk think it applies to everything that doesn't fit into the normal description of a seasonal anime.

I've read through that wiki and it's amazing how much backstory there is that almost never gets used. Like Darkdramon existing specifically to kill BantyoLeomon, explaining why their fusion, Chaosmon (which is only one of at least two possible combinations to make him) is so unstable that it is constantly in danger of spontaneously failing (explaining its permanent pixelization).

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 1, 2015

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, You could actually make some pretty hardcore shows out of that stuff.

ThePsychoGamer
Dec 5, 2013
I'm pretty sure at this point you can't unlock any of the meat garden upgrades

ThePsychoGamer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 2, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

nehezir posted:

Yeah, You could actually make some pretty hardcore shows out of that stuff.

I don't know why, but this statement gave me Digital Monster X-Evolution flashbacks.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

mikeycp posted:

I don't know why, but this statement gave me Digital Monster X-Evolution flashbacks.

I'm terribly sorry you had to remember that. X-evolution was kind of cool but after the third time I watched it I started turning on the lens and it fell apart.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ThePsychoGamer posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point you can't unlock any of the meat garden upgrades

Keeping an eye out anyway. Priority no. 1 whenever I played DW1 was "Get Palmon" just so I was ready for a champion diet.

e; also, fixed the broken link in the op thanks to a helpful PM who told me it was not working. i am a dumb.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
New episode.

Episode 3 - The Rematch

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

AP and I are having a disagreement about the sound quality of this latest video. Please help us find the truth of the situation.

http://strawpoll.me/5119050

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hey, you will respect Lalamon for it becomes one who governs over death and rebirth

Plus, it's basically a Korok from Wind Waker which makes it adorable:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I just think it looks really lame. Infact, I tend to think most nature/plant looking monsters in games look lame unless they are covered in/made out of vines or cacti. As such, Togemon is cool with me. I guess I'm just not a flower guy, really.

e; also, the poll thing is so that I can adjust the audio from ep 5 onwards to sound as best as it possibly can based on the results. I want everyone to be able to appreciate this as much as they can, so having audio that pleases as many as possible is important to me. So, I think it would be great to get as many people as I can to vote on it, so please do that. On my equipment (amped headphones) this ep sounded fine to me, but everyone has different setups, so I want to try and adjust it to sound as good as possible across as many setups as possible. I didn't think that speakers might hear it a bit differently and less clearly, so the game and me might well come out as quieter on other setups than mine.

Some quick shop talk about how I edit the audio, to explain why it is the way it is now. When I edit things, more often than not I am far louder than mikey is due to the actual sound of our voices and accents. Mikeys voice tends to sound softer than my rubbish kinda Northern in spots, kinda Welsh in spots, oddly enough from North Wales, accent. So, I boost him and lower me by a decibel or so. The game audio in raw recordings is very loud, and the music and game sounds were inconsistent in the first ep because that anime cutscene was really loud, so I dropped it quite a bit. I think it is safe to boost it a bit now though, so I will probably do that.

I also realised in editing that if I put both of our commentary channels in the centre of the speaker that it sounded like a mess whenever we were having a fluid conversation or agreed with the other while talking, so I pan mikey to the right, and me to the left a bit. That made our conversation much clearer to listen to on headphones. As such, if you are running a speaker setup, it might sound a tiny bit less clear than a headphone one because the direction the speakers are facing and the distance from which you are sat from them has a bigger impact, which might be causing people to hear mikey more than me. In that case, I might just move us both slightly closer to the centre to adjust for that.

I wanna be open about editing video, because I am still pretty new to it (first ep of this was literally the first video I ever edited) and want to create as great a series as I can. Any criticism to the way I edit at all would be greatly appreciated, so if you think something could stand to be improved, let me know and if it is small, then I will incorporate it from every video onwards. If it is glaring and somehow got past me, I will re-edit that video, and any others it is present in.

As is, I feel like this audio issue might be only a small one, but anything you guys think works I will strongly consider.

e2; also I have a dumb video that I threw together as a joke for tomorrow, so expect a 4 min video then too. We are also gonna be doing some side videos which we will probs release on a Sunday, so stay tuned for that.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 4, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

I just think it looks really lame. Infact, I tend to think most nature/plant looking monsters in games look lame unless they are covered in/made out of vines or cacti. As such, Togemon is cool with me. I guess I'm just not a flower guy, really.

Aren't Cherrymon, Jagamon, and Petaldramon like the only Plant Type Digimon beyond the Champion Level that aren't based on flowers though? That's kinda limiting plus Blossomon is basically Biollante's two forms combined which is pretty badass if you ask me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
No idea, what I can say though is that to me is those three you list look real cool, while the flower based ones just don't do it for me, for some reason. Jagamon does not look like an Ultimate level tho. He looks like a rookie.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Jagamon does not look like an Ultimate level tho. He looks like a rookie.

That can be said for a lot of small Digimon that are Level Champion or higher like Gatomon, Piximon, and MarineAngemon.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
As for new names, I vote for Rocky, because someone's gotta show that Mach Jab is totally viable!

I also really like how the avatar for your Digimon partner actually changes with the digivolution bit. I even expected him to start spouting out how digivolution works after he digivolved, but I guess the game isn't that handhold-y in that regard.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I will make Rocky the list. Mach Jab; best move.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
mach jab; worst move

there is a void in this partnership appearing over this move, pick a side

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
infact, new rule for Rocky

if we end up using that move, we must raise a Digimon with sick pugilistic abilities, and must always use mach jab, and only mach jab

I am going to make you all understand why it sucks.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I haven't seen that one, but I checked and they use Birdramon. The SGDQ one got the Greymon donation incentive so it has a spinning dinosaur and very little of the marathon luck that's been plaguing the Zelda runs. It's pretty smooth.

Apparently they speedrun is far from optimal since they wrongly understand how the games RNG works according to a goon who used to speedrun it but stopped after the other runners were a bunch of rear end's who wouldn't listen.
There is even apparently an ACE glitch that can be done at the Meramon fight about 20-30mins in.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

Apparently they speedrun is far from optimal since they wrongly understand how the games RNG works according to a goon who used to speedrun it but stopped after the other runners were a bunch of rear end's who wouldn't listen.
There is even apparently an ACE glitch that can be done at the Meramon fight about 20-30mins in.

Wait, so is the SGDQ one the optimal one, or the YT one? Not seen the SGDQ one yet, due to a lack of free time to sit down and pore through all of the SGDQ recordings I wanted to watch. (luckily a certain Crash Bandicoot run has been scratched off that schedule...)

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Another Person posted:

Wait, so is the SGDQ one the optimal one, or the YT one? Not seen the SGDQ one yet, due to a lack of free time to sit down and pore through all of the SGDQ recordings I wanted to watch. (luckily a certain Crash Bandicoot run has been scratched off that schedule...)

None of them are since none take proper advantage of the games RNG.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

None of them are since none take proper advantage of the games RNG.

Is there one recorded that does, and does it have commentary?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
dumb training montage

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 6, 2015

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Just popping in to say I dig the videos and I do enjoy me some Digimons.

Might have to give this game a shot, looks like everything I want in a Digimon game!

I'm also totally going to get Cyber Sleuth when it comes out stateside, I do like the gameplay in the DS games and it looks like Cyber Sleuth is more along that style, but yeah I really dig the original DW game so this looks right up my alley.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Another Person posted:

Is there one recorded that does, and does it have commentary?

Not that I know of. Ask Eddalius for more info.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

Just popping in to say I dig the videos and I do enjoy me some Digimons.

Might have to give this game a shot, looks like everything I want in a Digimon game!

I'm also totally going to get Cyber Sleuth when it comes out stateside, I do like the gameplay in the DS games and it looks like Cyber Sleuth is more along that style, but yeah I really dig the original DW game so this looks right up my alley.

Thanks for the positive feedback! And yeah, this game is definitely worth giving a shot. It is real fun to play, and the fact that I can only play it on a recording schedule instead of playing it like I would play a normal game is killing me. Just wanna go back in there and beat up the 'mons.

Cyber Sleuth, based on what little I have seen and heard, also looks like it is an odd, interesting game. Might motivate me to track it down.

FillInTheBlank posted:

Not that I know of. Ask Eddalius for more info.

Might do that sometime. I intend to play all of Digimon World (possibly drunk) in one sitting for this thread as a joke unoptimised single segment 100 pop speedrun based entirely off my memory of the game (I know it pretty much in and out due to playing it so much when I was 8). It will be uploaded as one video, and will probably be a few hours long. There is a 'leaderboard' googledoc out there and there are like 4 people on it for that category, so it would be funny to me to place myself on it as 5th place with the worst speedrun ever. It would be interesting to actually know how to properly speedrun the game so I can talk about it when I do this thing, as an aside. Who knows, if it is something I am even capable of, I might even give it a shot of showing off.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Another Person posted:

Might do that sometime. I intend to play all of Digimon World (possibly drunk) in one sitting for this thread as a joke unoptimised single segment 100 pop speedrun based entirely off my memory of the game (I know it pretty much in and out due to playing it so much when I was 8). It will be uploaded as one video, and will probably be a few hours long. There is a 'leaderboard' googledoc out there and there are like 4 people on it for that category, so it would be funny to me to place myself on it as 5th place with the worst speedrun ever. It would be interesting to actually know how to properly speedrun the game so I can talk about it when I do this thing, as an aside. Who knows, if it is something I am even capable of, I might even give it a shot of showing off.

You would have 5th place by a big margin, based on the Digimon World page on speedrun.com.

There's some guides in there but they're outdated any% guides, doesn't look like there's anything written up on 100 Prosperity runs. Maybe check out the Digimon World thread on SDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

You would have 5th place by a big margin, based on the Digimon World page on speedrun.com.

There's some guides in there but they're outdated any% guides, doesn't look like there's anything written up on 100 Prosperity runs. Maybe check out the Digimon World thread on SDA.

5th still 5th son, putting my chips all in on a 6 hour speedrun

e; also, by 'properly speedrun', I mean it would be interesting to know how to do it with RNG manipulation. I know Sparsie does not use it, because I watched his commentated any% run (any in this game basically means 50 pop) and he doesn't use it there when there is RNG involved. That means all of those runs could infact be improved if RNG manipulation can be used to cut time.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 6, 2015

• Locked thread