Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Chimera-gui posted:

Hey I actually like 02! :mad:

Yes the writing had issues, most notably the epilogue, but the concepts it introduced like the Armor level and Jogress/DNA Digivolution were unique and are still part of the franchise to this day with the latter (or at least the 02 version of it, long story) being the basis for DigiXros/DigiFuse generations later.

DNA and Armor are the only two good things about 02. Everything else can and should be forgotten.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh God, that interface! Make it stop. I forgive DW1 for any gui gripes I may have had, just as long as it isn't THAT

Yeah...the gui is pretty dated. It's pretty ugly.

As for the video itself, is there anything in particular you guys thing I should do to the big black bars on the left and right? I feel like there should be something there, but everything I played with looked terrrrrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I liked 02 as a kid but when I was a kid I probably liked pretty much everything.

I've started rewatching 01 and plan to rewatch 02 afterwards, so I dunno, maybe it won't live up to how I remember it.

mikeycp posted:

As for the video itself, is there anything in particular you guys thing I should do to the big black bars on the left and right? I feel like there should be something there, but everything I played with looked terrrrrible.

Black bars are fine to me honestly.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh, now this is a bad game. This game sucks.

e; btw mikey I think the black bars are fine, they seem like every other game on the PS1

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Another Person posted:

Oh, now this is a bad game. This game sucks.

You're not getting a rise out of me. Unlike some people I'm capable of admitting that a game I liked as a child isn't very good.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So mikey and me just realised that the audio for this goes way out of sync, and why it is doing that (sorry person in YT comments, that was me responding before I realised where it desyncs and why! I listened and couldn't notice it at first, and then I got to our dollars-pounds chat and realised it was bugged). We are gonna have a fixed edition up soon!

Another Person fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 17, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I fixed the audio for DW2 and reuploaded it. Here's the new and improved version! With bonus cosplay as an apology.

Episode 6.5 - Digimon World 2

I'll also go back and fix my old link and have AP update the OP ASAP.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
The shop music was kind of nice and catchy; too bad the rest of the game feels very grindy, right down to the character interactions.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Put the sync'd version in the OP. You know what else I put in the OP?

The NEW EPISODE.

Episode 7 - "Dappermon"

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Also with the advent of the new episode, I have just decided this. Good items you get for arena victories is not spoilers. Telling me what the items are is. So, PM me or mikey with a list of arena battles have a reward you think we would like or find funny, and we will prioritise those battles in the name of white ties and hats.

So, if you know which coliseum battles are worth winning, tell one of us what that battle is called, do not tell us what the reward is though.

That way we can always be shooting for something good when we go in there, instead of junk like 2 offence plugins and a med recovery which we could buy.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

hooray dress-up

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Another Person posted:

Also with the advent of the new episode, I have just decided this. Good items you get for arena victories is not spoilers. Telling me what the items are is. So, PM me or mikey with a list of arena battles have a reward you think we would like or find funny, and we will prioritise those battles in the name of white ties and hats.

So, if you know which coliseum battles are worth winning, tell one of us what that battle is called, do not tell us what the reward is though.

That way we can always be shooting for something good when we go in there, instead of junk like 2 offence plugins and a med recovery which we could buy.

Well I mean, arena fights don't take time, so you could just cut out of the video the ones that give junk. But I'm willing to run through the game again and do that if you want (I cleared every fight long ago on my main file). I can check out the Yuuya thing if that still needs resolving, too?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

cut out of the video the ones that give junk

code:
$ cut\ video

cut video: command not found

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I actually didn't realise there was a New Game + until just now. This could be interesting.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I actually didn't realise there was a New Game + until just now. This could be interesting.

From what I've seen, there isn't actually anything to the NG+ in this game, like...at all.

Decode has a bunch of extra stuff apparently, though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

mikeycp posted:

From what I've seen, there isn't actually anything to the NG+ in this game, like...at all.

Decode has a bunch of extra stuff apparently, though.

It carries over a bunch of stuff you had. That seems to be it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Well I mean, arena fights don't take time, so you could just cut out of the video the ones that give junk. But I'm willing to run through the game again and do that if you want (I cleared every fight long ago on my main file). I can check out the Yuuya thing if that still needs resolving, too?

The issue with cutting is that we do this live, so if we cut stuff you would have fragments of a conversation. I could edit out the conversation, but that would end up being no different from just a random clip on YT of someone showing fights. We could record post-commentary, but both Mikey and me aren't too into it, especially since we do the rest of it live. And unless you are going full post-commentary, then random interspersals of post for little bits just comes off as slightly stilted. Plus, showing me lose fights is a part of the 'AP experience'. I am good at every game called Spelunky and EUIV. No others.

If you want to go through again because you want us to rock and afro and a cape, then sure, go ahead and let us know the good ones. Also, I would be interested to know what happens if you accept that challenge from Yuuya. I would go back and show it, but I accidentally saved over it (you can see me do it in one of the videos somewhere - I don't comment on it but I noticed it in editing. Kinda scared me because if that footage went bye-bye somehow I'd be up poo poo street with fixing that).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That said, I don't see a problem with just doing them in order. We can pretend we're being informative that way, even.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Another Person posted:

The issue with cutting is that we do this live, so if we cut stuff you would have fragments of a conversation. I could edit out the conversation, but that would end up being no different from just a random clip on YT of someone showing fights. We could record post-commentary, but both Mikey and me aren't too into it, especially since we do the rest of it live. And unless you are going full post-commentary, then random interspersals of post for little bits just comes off as slightly stilted. Plus, showing me lose fights is a part of the 'AP experience'. I am good at every game called Spelunky and EUIV. No others.

If you want to go through again because you want us to rock and afro and a cape, then sure, go ahead and let us know the good ones. Also, I would be interested to know what happens if you accept that challenge from Yuuya. I would go back and show it, but I accidentally saved over it (you can see me do it in one of the videos somewhere - I don't comment on it but I noticed it in editing. Kinda scared me because if that footage went bye-bye somehow I'd be up poo poo street with fixing that).

It's cool. I'll go through 'em and have a look-see. NG+ has let me keep a portion of my old digimon's stats (all maxed) so I've got like 2000/1500/200/200/150/150. I'll breeze the early game. On the off chance I can fight Yuuya, I'll train nonstop and see if I can win. Got some digivolution items in my back pocket too, just in case.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh yeah. We'd eventually do all of the arena fights. I just wanna get the good poo poo so we can mess with it for longer.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Okay so if you try and fight Yuuya his digimon reacts to something offscreen and he tells you you'll fight later. Aw.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Aw, shame. It would be really funny if the game just went "Yep, sure. Fight BlackWarGreymon right now."

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
By the way, those stats you quoted at the start of the video were intended to GET you Greymon, not ones for Greymon to get. Miscommunication on my part.

I've burned through 1F, 10F and 20F of the arena, here are the battles that don't just give cards, bolded ones are pretty useful or cool:

quote:

1F Battles that give dressup items:

Let's Battle, Neverending Battles, Looking For Practice, Battle Me And Agumon, Promotion Match 1F

quote:

1F Battles that give useable items:

Gimme All You Got, Wanna Fight?, Retirement Decision

quote:

10F Battles that give dressup items:

Skill Setup Matters, I Can't Give Orders Here, Blazing Fight, I'm A Loner, Promotion match 10F, We Don't Need A Tamer (Tournament)

quote:

10F Battles that give useable items:

My Digimon My Pride

quote:

20F Battles that give dressup items:

Limited Time Battle, Over So Quickly, Running Wins, Speed King, Promotion Match 20F

quote:

20F Battles that give useable items:

Won't Run Or Hide, End It With One Shot, Time Keeper, Before School (Tournament)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Nice, thanks for the list of ones to hit up!

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
According to Google, StorMyu was one of the programmers who helped with the English fan translation. Also, someone by the name of HelloWinter also helped with the graphics editing. :v:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I basically never get fan translations usually, this is probably the first. Is StorMyu a name in that community?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Another Person posted:

I basically never get fan translations usually, this is probably the first. Is StorMyu a name in that community?

I think so; a cursory glance at this one site said that StorMyu's working on helping translating some other Japanese-only games as well.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh, cool. What other stuff is he working on? If anything sounds interesting, I might look into it. He seems to have done a pretty good job of translating this, and making all of the menus look good with the new text.

In other news...

New Episode

Episode 8 - "Rocks in the Pond"

Episode 9 is a long one. Like, 40 or 50 mins, so buckle up and look forward to that one next Tuesday!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

AP just told me he had something in store for the weekend, but wouldn't tell me what it is.

Be afraid, thread. Very very afraid.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Started playing this game, the only issue is the end-game grind is a pain. Once you get to a certain point, anything that's not Mega just can't do... anything, so it's a major pain to play those dumb training mini-games for ages before you can do a thing. By the way, the arena is not an optional thing I've learned, the plot makes you do at least a few Colosseum matches, so enjoy that. Also, the Colosseum gym is right next to a toilet, so use that one for any marathon training sessions. Things I've learned from marathoning this game FOR HOURS ALREADY YOU HORRID THING.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Haha, yeah. That was the problem in the original DW as well. Once you got far enough only a certain level would work for you any more. The power progress resetting based mechanic kind of forces you to continually replay slow portions of the game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the original game at least attempted to alleviate it with the beetleland digimon you could recruit that would upgrade the gym and the training book from pixiemon's secret shop amongst other things but it true digimon world fashion it was all obscure and locked away behind pure random chance and ridiculous hoop jumping you could easily never find it naturally. getting that stuff would make training to get anything cool way quicker
i don't know if this game has anything like that though.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

the original game at least attempted to alleviate it with the beetleland digimon you could recruit that would upgrade the gym and the training book from pixiemon's secret shop amongst other things but it true digimon world fashion it was all obscure and locked away behind pure random chance and ridiculous hoop jumping you could easily never find it naturally. getting that stuff would make training to get anything cool way quicker
i don't know if this game has anything like that though.

I'm posting some stuff that might be spoilers, but are really vague and basically are very very rough hints that really don't matter. Nothing related to plot or actually telling you how to do anything beyond the vaguest guidelines.

There is a way to upgrade gyms!

It's locked by story-progress and also Colosseum progress! If you don't make a habit of going to the Colosseum between story stuff I think it's possible to just not trigger the even for a while. And the "Upgrade" takes the form of HARDER forms of the training minigame! I can't reliably do them without slowing the game to 50% hard! Also, you need a mega-level with really good stats to do it. I did it on my 3rd, and it still took me 2-3 tries.

The issue is more that the high level content in this game REQUIRES 999 in all stats. Yeah, REQUIRES, I can't imagine how you could do some things without a maxed-out mega and the top-tier techniques!

(Colosseum Spoiler) There's legit a Colosseum fight where your opponent is explicitly more powerful that it's possible for you to be, and has techniques that it's not supposed to be able to get. If you go in with the wrong Digimon you just have to hope the enemy AI sucks enough to eke out a win.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, I read the first one because I kinda expected that. Is the story possible to complete without 999 stats? If so, I will probably play normally to there, and then I will do some of the grinding off camera so you guys don't have to endure me failing at 3D Ghost Leg. I intend to show everything off, but that doesn't mean I will put you guys through more than a few 1 hour grind videos.

Game Kiwi dot net: 1 hour grinding videos all day erry day son

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Another Person posted:

Okay, I read the first one because I kinda expected that. Is the story possible to complete without 999 stats? If so, I will probably play normally to there, and then I will do some of the grinding off camera so you guys don't have to endure me failing at 3D Ghost Leg. I intend to show everything off, but that doesn't mean I will put you guys through more than a few 1 hour grind videos.

I'm pretty sure that at least isn't an issue. I think getting brains over 500 doesn't do anything? I have no idea, maybe something involving technique learning or some poo poo, but 500 is where you unlock all the commands so I generally don't care. Also, the upgraded Gym gets you like, 25 points per training, and there's other stuff to help you get crazy stats besides training if you have enough money to burn. Over 500 in everything by time you hit champion is easy if you are consistently recruiting Digimon to unlock stuff. I don't think the Story requires that high-of stats, but I know for sure some recruitment definitely do.

For Example: To get Dukemon/Gallantmon you have to beat 3 Mega level enemies at the same time in under a minute.

Basically, if you don't care about getting 100% don't worry about it, the Story stuff is legit easy, you could probably beat it with only 1 Digimon if you know what you're doing from the get-go.

I have spent way too much time playing this thing if you can't tell.

Send Help, Devimon Won't Let Me Stop.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, we don't know what we are doing at all. We are probably gonna burn through Digimon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Chimera-gui posted:

Hey I actually like 02! :mad:

Yes the writing had issues, most notably the epilogue, but the concepts it introduced like the Armor level and Jogress/DNA Digivolution were unique and are still part of the franchise to this day with the latter (or at least the 02 version of it, long story) being the basis for DigiXros/DigiFuse generations later.

The writing had more than a few issues. Alongside the characters being annoying, the whole plot fell apart in the latter half of the series. So many great ideas fell by the wayside for no apparent reason. I liked DNA digivolition, but armor never really amounted to much, especially after they got the ability to go champion normally.

The fact that it was immediately followed by the best written series of them all only makes it look worse.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Wapole Languray posted:

There is a way to upgrade gyms!

There's two ways to upgrade the gyms. One upgrades the Colosseum gym, one upgrades the Togemon gym. There are other ways to powerlevel, too, if you remember your Digimon World 1.

Wapole Languray posted:

The issue is more that the high level content in this game REQUIRES 999 in all stats. Yeah, REQUIRES, I can't imagine how you could do some things without a maxed-out mega and the top-tier techniques!

It's worth noting that this does actually mean all stats, because Speed and Brains do have an effect on battle. From what I've seen, Speed affects how fast your digimon uses moves in combat, and Brains affects how fast they respond to orders in combat. I had a 9999/9999/999/999/800/800 digimon and it wasn't enough to beat the final arena challenge. After maxing those last two stats I got enough attacks off to win. Just.

I've never thought about trying to one-digimon this game, actually. I did it with DW1 (100 proserity, even) as I mentioned in the Run Button DW1 thread, but I didn't consider doing it here. It's probably quite possible, given that you can head off to a gym as soon as the game lets you and get a Mega digimon straight away. It'd probably live long enough to bulldoze the storyline at least.

I think thats what kinda gets me about this game, the fact you can just go train to Mega right away. Ultimates in DW1 were harder to get and felt like they meant more, and you probably weren't getting one without the Training Manual, Beetle Land digimon, and maybe some veggies. Or stuffing a million chips down its throat or using digivolution items, but thats kind of a one-time trick.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You can't 1 Digimon DW1 to my knowledge. I think there is one that stops you doing that. Might be Frigimon. I might be wrong though. Ain't done it in like 4 years.

Also it is totally possible to get 3 different ultimates in DW1 within your first 2 Digimon pretty easily (yes, 3, trust me - when I do this dumb 'speedrun', I will try to show it off if I get lucky). You don't need the manual, or the Beetleland guys (although the Beetleland guys definitely help). You just need to be pretty good and keep up with attaining goals. Feed all of your chips to your first Digimon, train gently caress out of your second and beat up all the idiots in native forest over and over. Get enough of the conditions and it falls into place easily. You need to not deviate from the path at all.

If you know the game well enough, it is possible to repeatedly get ultimates.

e; without digivolution items that is, because they are for borign people

e2; the 1 digimon 100 prosp barrier is likely monzaemon - you simply die too quick using him to get everything done and Numemon is not good enough to beat most of the enemies. Yep, thinking about it, 100 prosperity run with 1 Digimon is likely impossible. You need to clear out Ice Sanctuary and Grey Lord's Mansion, as well as get Monzaemon. You HAVE to beat high level guys in each of them, including SkullGreymon and the Giromon recolour, and a bunch of powerful dudes in the ice place. Your Numemon would need to be mad beefy with that fart based offence in Grey Lord's.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 23, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Another Person posted:

You can't 1 Digimon DW1 to my knowledge.

You can. I just did it. Agumon will trigger Frigimon if you feed him Rotten Meat from Amida Forest while in Freezeland -- he gets the sad status icon while there. I could screenshot my run if you want. I had to sit around for three days doing tournaments after getting 98 prosperity in order to get Vegiemon. I even did the Back Dimension (it forced me to! It was in the Ice Sanctuary and I hasn't cleared that out yet!).

It was made easier by the fact that I hit the same trigger OFS did in his LP that made my Agumon's weight evaporate to 1. I found that if I got him to 15 weight at all he'd instantly digivolve to Meramon. Fights give too many stats to stay under 100 Offense. The weight evaporation seems to be related to Drill Tunnel because that's where it happened to me. He was at 13 weight anyway, so I had a buffer, but it did help.

I guess if you say No Mojyamon Loops it's impossible, but that's in the game so I feel justified in using it.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

but that doesn't mean I will put you guys through more than a few 1 hour grind videos.

Hey man, where would Giant Bomb's Persona 4 run be without hour long persona fusion videos?

Wapole Languray posted:

Basically, if you don't care about getting 100% don't worry about it

No promises, but I think we want to get 100%, or at least as close to 100% as we can.

• Locked thread