Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
As for new names, I vote for Rocky, because someone's gotta show that Mach Jab is totally viable!

I also really like how the avatar for your Digimon partner actually changes with the digivolution bit. I even expected him to start spouting out how digivolution works after he digivolved, but I guess the game isn't that handhold-y in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Another Person posted:

sounds like you guys can't enjoy the simple things in life, like two digimen repeatedly clotheslining one another with fireballs until one cannot stand, until the battle ends where said one will inexplicably stand up to run away and fade into nonexistence

Fixed that for you.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I have a feeling that Growlmon is probably also a prosperity gate like that Guardromon, since he keeps mentioning about bringing Digimon back into the city in order to get his friend back. It's kind of neat he's not explicit about the exact number, whereas Guardromon was a robot and therefore would state things in more mathematical terms.

Also, you guys got lucky with the RNG when it comes to those Green Digimushrooms and Digipines.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
The shop music was kind of nice and catchy; too bad the rest of the game feels very grindy, right down to the character interactions.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
According to Google, StorMyu was one of the programmers who helped with the English fan translation. Also, someone by the name of HelloWinter also helped with the graphics editing. :v:

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Another Person posted:

I basically never get fan translations usually, this is probably the first. Is StorMyu a name in that community?

I think so; a cursory glance at this one site said that StorMyu's working on helping translating some other Japanese-only games as well.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
You guys are really sticking to Mach Jab, huh? And yeah, it kind of sucks you can't see the effects of the restaurant food, but I think the more expensive the food is, the more extra stat boosts it can give. And I think the stuff like Digipines and Stringy Grass, you can only give them when your Digimon is hungry - sadly, there doesn't seem to be any way to forcefeed your little (or big) guy if they're not literally starving.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I think you need to save up more money for Tentomon, since it appears to only give you options for 10 and 100 bits so far. And I'm not sure how to feel about pink poop that you can literally kick around. I guess it'd be pretty amusing if you let your Digimon poop in one particular area and just kick poop with every step you took.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
There's an option in the main menu (the thing where it shows you Items, Praise, Scold, etc) where you can press the R button to see the Area Map, which I'd imagine to be quicker than going through the World Map. Also, I think you could stand to put a few more items in the Warehouse, mainly the Divine Chestnut (since you have Recoveries already) and the Mysterious Digicore (since you can't use it in or out of battle, but it looks important enough for something else).

And sweet, Rocky can now upgrade himself to get even rockier!

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
At least this game has one thing over the original: it gives you e-mails from various characters to let you know where you need to go for the plot and which characters you've already recruited. On the other hand, how do digimons e-mail you? At least with the human characters it's kind of implied that you've traded addresses with them, but with the digimon, they just somehow psychically know how to contact you after returning to the city.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Seems like you don't get to fight Akiho on 20F if you progress too far in the plot. Not sure what that would have accomplished if her fight was optional somehow.

Another Person posted:

The moves in these games are definitely an issue, to the point of irritation. If I were to redesign the systems in this game, I would make it so that there are way more moves, which are always unlocked, and that you get different tiers of them per different stage of Digimon. You can only have 3 on at a time, but you can switch them out depending on what your stats/preferences are. Make it so some Digimon can't use certain moves due to their natural abilities, or lack of. So, basically when you get to a form you might have a move pool of about 10 moves which are always available.

Indeed. At the very least, Mega/Ultimate Digimon should have at least one rank 5 move that gets unlocked instead of getting stuck with measly rank 1 moves. On the other hand, the current system allows digimon to use their strongest possible moves from the get go, assuming you've learned it already. And given you have a chance of learning new moves while training your brains, the skill progression system isn't too bad. Another nice thing to have would be the game showing if the enemies have something we could potentially learn, but since it's Digimon World, a lot of things have to be needlessly opaque.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I'm grasping at straws here, but if there was anything to improve in a remake, the busted math of "each stack of 100 brains increases the odds of learning a move by ~3% for each time that it's used in a non-coloseum battle on your digimon that has the ability to learn it" should have been near the top of things to look at.

Given that in the PSP version, the player can save anytime unlike in the original PS version, maybe the game is aware of that and tries to keep percentages low for that reason and makes non-colosseum battles count, since time doesn't pass in said colosseum matches and it'd be absurd to have the player's digimon get all learnable moves in a span of one in-game second. And I agree that knowing the element of the enemy's attack would be nice too.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
It seems like the only other thing you did after talking to Weregarurumon was getting a great fortune from AlturMegaKabuterimon. Apparently that counts as shutting up from a guy who's more like a landlord leasing his territory to weirdos like Megadramon.

Also, that line from Yuuya was just so bad it's gone back to good. While I feel like the translation has been pretty decent, aside from the occasionally odd wording here and there, I wonder if the Japanese version was equally bizarre in regards to that line. It just seems like it was meant to be a line that would humanize Yuuya a bit more by showing that he has a sense of humor, however awkward it may be.

I'mma be just a neutral spectator here, as long as we get some digi-fisticuffs involved.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Sorry you lost that fight. It looked really close, but I guess you needed a lot more Health Recoveries than you expected, especially with all those unavoidable battles you had along the way.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Glad you guys got your revenge! Though I wonder if you guys could use that Blaze Program to go through that thick wall of snow that was blocking the way earlier. Or maybe you've already figured that out in later recordings?

Also, for the finishing move dilemma, have you tried pressing the square button multiple times?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Ouch, those Megas were wrecking your guy. Maybe he needs all his stats to be at least 900 to do some reasonable damage against them? Or like you said, you'd need lots of items to keep up the constant healing, which means lots of fishing to get the dough. Either way, it seems you guys still have some ways to go.

Also laughed at the undercooked comment - I wonder why they still force you to make the "right choice" when you go for the humorous, evil choice. It would have been easy to give that yellow-bellied Growmon some different dialogue and have him go back to the city either way.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Man am I happy with that thumbnail.

It does look nice, doesn't it? Very festive and all that. And while I can't make any promises, I'll see if I can get you guys a drawing before the end of the year. You deserve that much for this cool LP so far. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Early New Years' Eve gift to you two!

Just pretend his name is Shrocky or something.

• Locked thread