Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

nehezir posted:

Tips for post- tamers digimom? I can give a bit of info.

First thing: tamers is the best written show in the series. Everything else has its strengths focuaed elsewhere.

Frontier: avoid unless you just gotta see'em all. It had a cool idea but in short the charaters are rather weak, the main villain is such a huge disappointment that his xros wars arc was largely better, and thr best guy gets the shaft.

Savers: do you like the idea of saying "gently caress EVOLUTION TIERS AND gently caress RACISM TOO"? Savers does this. With a teenager punching monsters in the face. Masaru is cool. Touma is cool. The others are semi-useless. Just come prepared for a fun, dumb action show. Watch it subbed or skip because believer is great and the dub scraps it. Thst and the dub has censorship issues and rather poor quality acting.

Xros Wars is basically what would happen if you made a digimon show entirely around jogress/DNA evolution and super robot anime. Its pretty awesome and the insert themes are cool. The third arc is pretty bad but xros wars proper is great. Subbed again, digimon dubs aren't as good as they used to be.

Edit: I mentioned insert songs so I'll provide one. This is the theme for one of the villains from xros wars.
https://youtu.be/n0vEezTGJJs

Hey now, don't blame the dubbing crews for the US' hosed up television standards for animation. It was either Citramon or the episode getting skipped altogether so they went for the funnier option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

nehezir posted:

I can at least blame them for lackluster voice quality, right?

The data squad dub is so bad even crispin freeman couldn't save it.

I've heard worst honestly, this dub is still better than Wulin Warriors.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I will say that Ben Diskin as Shoutmon is pretty fitting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3EH0yPvIoI

Like I know he has yells a lot but you can't really expect someone named Shoutmon having an indoor voice.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Also Dodomon is linked to two lines: Gaomon and Dodomon's main line, Dorumon.

Additionally, Jijimon does in fact appear in Tamers alongside Babamon. It also appears in both Frontier and Xros Wars/Fusion but does not appear in Adventure.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 31, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think you mean Gennai, Jenrya was the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese name Jianliang which was Henry from Tamers' original given name.

Speaking of names, I know this was likely unintentional but I find it funny that you named Agumon Mikey since Taiki Kudo's dub name is Mikey Kudo.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 31, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I can see how you could come to the conclusion that Gennai was Jijimon in human form since they fill the same role and it wouldn't be the last time that Digimon with human forms would appear in the franchise.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 31, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The whole thing about O as yes/correct and X as no/wrong is pretty common with media imported from Japan. Hell in Monster Rancher, the standard tournament format had O as a victory and X as a defeat. Additionally in Wonder Project J: Machine Boy Pino the interface-robot you controlled, Tinker, makes an O or an X with her arms depending on whether Pino is performing an action that is correct or not.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Onmi posted:

Savers was originally pitched as a gang series, where the protagonists would be rival gang members with Masaru as a sort of lone gunman out to prove he was the best in the world by beating the everliving gently caress out of everyone else. Yoshino played the leader of an all female yakuza gang, and Thoma played an agent who took down the American Mafia.

Then right after the pitch was made it was immediatly shot down, killing my hopes for Digimon Banchou

Ironically, the Banchō did become a group within Digimon lore, one of even appearing in Savers/Data Squad.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm confused by the fact the DemiDevimon was using its Japanese name of PicoDevimon while Candlemon is using its dub name when, if we're going by the original Japanese names, it should be Candmon. Also, that is DemiMeramon of Candlemon's head or PetiMeramon if we're going by original names.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And Digimon has never been great when it came to consistent localization which is how we get things like Devimon being called Darkmon in the localized V-Pet as well as Bearmon using its original name Kumamon in DW3 even though the name "Kumamon" would be later used as Chackmon's dub name in Frontier.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Okay, there is a single spoiler I want to know. Is Kumamon in this game?

As far as I know, neither Bearmon nor Chackmon are in Re:Digitize.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It gets better, Centarumon's original name is officially translated as Centalmon with Kentarumon as a previous translation (which is presumably where the dub name came from).

Yes, even the original Japanese version has translation inconsistencies it would seem.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 31, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Wait, do you mean it is mistranslated in general, or in this game? If the latter, I will keep my eye out for it.

I mean in general, Centarumon doesn't even appear in this game: Centalmon

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Geostomp posted:

When his other hand is some kind of weird flesh-cannon and he's covered with inexplicable purple lumps of armor(?), a weird claw is the least of his worries. He was one of the early, really weird X-treme era designs.

Yeah, Digimon's design shift could be compared to how technology has developed with older Digimon looking more crudely made, with wires, stitching, and the like sticking out of them for no real reason like old computers while newer designs became sleeker, with less of cumbersome stuff on them like modern laptops.

Compare classic MetalGreymon:

To its Savers/Data Squad counterpart RizeGreymon and MetalGreymon from Xros Wars/Fusion:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 21, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Original designs forever. I liked the grungy, hacked together aesthetic the original designs had. They kind of set it apart from rival series, like Pokemon, where everything just looked so clinical. I'd say modern Digimon designs kinda suffer from that squeaky clean look these days.

I actually don't mind the new designs that much, they're still badass in action and I imagine that the grungy aesthetic is a pain in the rear end to animate and make video game models for hence the shift.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 1, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Movies tend to have a higher budget though compared to a television series so of the animation quality's going to be better.

To give an example of the simplification I'm talking about, look at Agumon's Bandai art:

Now look at its Toei animation model:

As you can see, the Toei model is less detailed with larger, rounder eyes and without the vein in it's arm. Hell, the Bandai art for Re:Digitize is closer to the animation model than the old Bandai art:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 1, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hey, you will respect Lalamon for it becomes one who governs over death and rebirth

Plus, it's basically a Korok from Wind Waker which makes it adorable:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

I just think it looks really lame. Infact, I tend to think most nature/plant looking monsters in games look lame unless they are covered in/made out of vines or cacti. As such, Togemon is cool with me. I guess I'm just not a flower guy, really.

Aren't Cherrymon, Jagamon, and Petaldramon like the only Plant Type Digimon beyond the Champion Level that aren't based on flowers though? That's kinda limiting plus Blossomon is basically Biollante's two forms combined which is pretty badass if you ask me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Jagamon does not look like an Ultimate level tho. He looks like a rookie.

That can be said for a lot of small Digimon that are Level Champion or higher like Gatomon, Piximon, and MarineAngemon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
AP, you realize that Guardromon, DemiDevimon, and BlackAgumon are all Virus Attribute right? File City isn't just for Data and Vaccine Attributes you know!

I should note that Black, Yuuya's BlackWarGreymon partner, is a variation of the species born from the X-Antibody. There's some history for the X-Antibody but I'm not going to go into detail on that since I have only a tentative knowledge on it and it's not really relevant to the game's story, I'll leave that to someone else who'd be more knowledgeable on that subject.

Speaking of partners though, Mirei's Angewomon and LadyDevimon can not only assume the form of a pair of cats but DNA Digivolve to become Mastemon which, while awesome in its own right, continues the issues of the DNA Digivolution/Jogress concept being conflated with the concept of DigiFuse/DigiXros though I'll spare you the details of that unless there's actual interest in that.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since you already made an unintentional Fusion reference and are watching Savers right now, how about Masaru?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hey I actually like 02! :mad:

Yes the writing had issues, most notably the epilogue, but the concepts it introduced like the Armor level and Jogress/DNA Digivolution were unique and are still part of the franchise to this day with the latter (or at least the 02 version of it, long story) being the basis for DigiXros/DigiFuse generations later.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Senerio posted:

For a future digimon, requesting a Brainy Green Egg.

Best digimon.

Seconding this there are three digimon on that path that I want you to raise at some point, one of them specifically to round out the Savers/Data Squad partners and the other two cause they're my favorite Digimon from Adventure.

Edt: I believe the higher Digivolution stages have a faster metabolism and thus they eat more and require toilet breaks more frequently.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 25, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Oh great. I guess that means we have a Lalamon in our future then! The next Digimon is the brainy green egg!

I feel posting this is obligatory:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 27, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hagurumon itself is raisable, it requires the red egg or the green egg. Supposedly, you could get with the light blue egg, the same egg that gave us Gaomon, but that's not as guaranteed as the red and green eggs are.

The enemy-only Digimon you're thinking of is likely Solarmon, a variation of Hagurumon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 30, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Digimon does a fair bit of this actually.

In addition to Digimon that are either modifications of existing Digimon (e.g. Agumon from Savers/Data Squad and the X-Antibody variants) or semi-loosely based on previously existing Digimon (Guilmon, Gaomon, and Lalamon's Digivolution lines are based on Agumon, Gabumon, and Palmon's lines respectively as well as WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon, and Omnimon being the basis for EmperorGreymon, MagnaGarurumon, and Susanoomon respectively) you also have a lot of variants that are basically recolors like Solarmon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 30, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hilariously enough, the blue Virus variant of MetalGreymon actually came first, it was created in 1997 making one of the first Digimon ever created alongside SkullGreymon. The Vaccine variant we know of wasn't created until 1999 when it became Tai's partner.

That's actually why I used both variants when I made my comparison post a few pages back.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact: Both Numemon and Sukamon will eat any poo poo they come across in the original game if you had the misfortune of having your Digimon Digivolve into either. I believe that's still the case here a well from research I was able to find.

Also the "Hagurumon" you saw in the desert canyon was actually a Solarmon given its coloration.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Senerio posted:

Megidramon is the digimon you're thinking of.

Also Megalogrowlmon's english name was WarGrowlmon.

Megidramon is a gnarly customer too:

Digimon Reference Book posted:

Although it is a rare species that isn't even known to be extant, and its very existence is a "Digital Hazard", its powers were sealed away by some sort of "force". However, it is said that a great amount of damage will be exerted on the Digital World when its powers are awakened. It has a body made from Chrome Digizoid. According to one theory, Megidramon and Chaos Dukemon are the same being, and it is said that whether that wave of terror is projected as a dark knight or as a dark dragon depends on the observer.
The other Mega Level form in the Guilmon line is the Royal Knight Dukemon/Gallantmon and its variant ChaosDukemon/ChaosGallantmon, latter being the one mentioned in Megidramon's entry:

Compare Gallantmon's entry in th reference book:

This Holy Knight Digimon is called one of the "Royal Knights" alongside Omegamon and Magnamon. The Royal Knights are Digimon assigned the highest rank of Network Security, so it is absolutely impossible to violate Security in their presence. It is a being containing contradictions, as it is a Virus attribute while also being called a guardian deity of the Net, and if its balance collapses, even due to a freak chance, it is possible for it to become a dangerous existence. It is clad in holy armor refined and constructed from 99.9% pure Chrome Digizoid, and its right hand can become the holy lance "Gram" while its left hand can become the holy shield "Aegis". It honors chivalry, and is a loyal vassal towards its lord.
To ChaosGallantmon's entry:

A form of Dukemon who awakened to its Virus instincts. Its mind has completely shifted to the Dark Side and it brings nothing but disaster to the Digital World by using the "Digital Hazard". Like Dukemon, it is clad in armor refined from pure Chrome Digizoid, but black. Its right hand can become the demonic lance "Balmung", while its left hand can become the demonic shield "Gorgon". Its existence is an antithesis to Dukemon's.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 4, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, Chrome Digizoid is extremely strong metal which naturally makes it good for the weapons and armor of high level Digimon, Megas being especially fond of using it.

As for the the video itself, "Tailmon" is the original Japanese name of Gatomon while "Gatomon" is the English dub name.

And the Vitium is that strange creature you fought against with Niko as well as at the monolith thing in the jungle:

On that note, I actually like MachGaogamon slightly more then its Adventure generation Digimon that it was based on, WereGarurumon. Don't get me wrong, I love Gabumon in Adventure as well as his Digivolution line but WereGarurumon doesn't transition to MetalGarurumon quite as well as MachGaogamon does to Gaomon's Mega form.

Even the X-Antibody version of the Gabumon line handles the transition from Ultimate to Mega better than the original:

And before anyone asks about WereGarurumon X having a tail, the original WereGarurumon is in fact supposed to have one as well, it's just obscured by WereGarurumon's arm in the old Bandai art as you can see with the Crusader art on the right:

It was also omitted by the Toei animation model either due to animation constraints or they just didn't realize that WereGarurumon's supposed to have one.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 5, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Eh, it's all up to personal tastes like I've said before; while I've come to appreciate the old style for its gnarled aesthetic, I don't resent the elegance of the newer designs.

Thank you, there are some topics I briefly touched on when I talked about Yuuya and Mirei's Digimon but I'm holding off on going into greater detail about those outta respect to the LPers.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Did DemiDevimon just quote the log song? I assume whoever did the translation for the patch made that joke since I doubt that was part of the original Japanese dialogue and the joke fits with the dubbing style of previous Digimon series which were considered gag dubs though I don't think any of them made borderline parody style jokes about other franchises.

It's also kinda ironic that it's a Nicktoons joke considering that Digimon Fusion aired on Nicktoons.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Sorry about that, it was the best quality video I could find.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Congratulations on getting Rocky to his highest level, Mega/Ultimate. :toot: To elaborate, Digimon Levels have different names depending on whether you're looking at localized materials or Japanese materials. The Levels go as follows in order of dub name to original name:
  • Fresh or Baby (幼年期I Yōnenki I, lit. "Childhood I"), officially translated as "Baby I"
  • In-Training (幼年期II Yōnenki II, lit. "Childhood 2"), officially translated as "Baby II"
  • Rookie (成長期 Seichōki, lit. "Youth"), officially translated as "Child"
  • Champion (成熟期 Seijukuki, lit. "Adolescence"), officially translated as "Adult"
  • Ultimate (完全体 Kanzen-tai, lit. "Perfect form"), officially translated as "Perfect"
  • Mega (究極体 Kyūkyoku-tai, lit. "Ultimate form"), officially translated as "Ultimate"
So MachGaogamon was an Ultimate/Perfect Level Digimon while MirageGaogamon is a Mega/Ultimate Level Digimon. And yes before anyone points it out, the last two stages both have "Ultimate" as a name though which stage in question the name is referring to depends on whether you're looking at localized or Japanese material. Supposedly this was do to them being a single stage in the first V-Pets and the original Digimon World where both Ultimates and Megas were treated as Ultimates.

As you've no doubt discovered, your Digimon's Level affects not only its power but the amount of maintenance required as well. The higher the Level, the more maintenance is required.

Regarding Mikey's comment about MirageGaogamon's size, the Megas in Data Squad/Savers are generally giants as even the smallest ones, Rosemon and Ravemon, still towered over their partners. Of course, Data Squad/Savers had a lot of weird scaling quirks such as giant Kokatorimon or the amazing Drimogemon who can go from being small enough to ride in your car to its natural size.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 17, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Unfortunately, that's an all too common weaboo-ism seemingly in response to the more creative dubs that have occurred in the past though even so-called "bad" dubs like 4Kids' stuff are entertaining if in a "so bad it's good" way.

Another Person posted:

Finally, yeah, the size changing for the Drimogemon was pretty funny to me. His sense of scale was less consistent than the names of individual level form translations. He goes from fitting in a van to a towering monster between shots.

I personally want to believe that the Digimon of the Data Squad/Savers universe acquired the Mass-shifting ability of G1 Transformers but didn't understand how the gently caress to use it properly so it ends up with stuff like Vilemon growing to the size of a goddamn house.

And why would Digimon even need to know how to use change size in the first place? It made sense for Tranformers since because Generation One came from two different Takara toy lines, Diaclone & Microchange for those wondering, a good number of Tranformers had alt-modes considerably smaller than the Robot mode. Hell, Megatron could become small enough to be wielded by Cobra Commander though clearly Megatron has complete control over whether he fires or not.

In the anime at least however, Digimon could simply De-Digivolve to become smaller. It'd made more sense if Digivolution was more permanent like in the games at which point having a MirageGaogamon able to become smaller than a building would be a good idea.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 27, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The guide I'm looking at doesn't mention needing to unlock ShineGreymon before being able to raise your Digimon to it.

I assume it is because Re:Digitize uses Data Squad/Savers trio of Agumon, Gaomon, and Lalamon since MetalGarurumon also needs to be unlocked before you can raise one yet MirageGaogamon is available by default.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 16, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Joking aside, Leomon does actually have a sword called Shishio-maru, Beast Sword in the dub, on its waist that is actually sentient and magical according to the Reference Book while Leomon X gets a secong sword called Jūga-maru. The only species related to Leomon that don't use swords are GrapLeomon & SaberLeomon though IceLeomon/Panjyamon X does use an axe called Yuki Hanabi instead of a sword like regular IceLeomon/Panjyamon.

Biyomon is female in Adventure but male in Data Squad/Savers yet both became Garudamon though their Champion forms are different, Adventure Biyomon's Champion form is Birdramon while Data Squad/Savers Biyomon's Champion form is Aquilamon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Kamemon and Chibitortomon/ChibiKamemon are literally the same species, for some reason Xros Wars gave Kamemon a different name despite the it being literally just a super deformed Kamemon.

I believe its the buoyancy program that allows you and your Digimon to cross water, you wouldn't have been able to do it even with an aquatic species of Digimon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 22, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Oh, that's dumb on both counts then. I am pretty sure the game tells you that "maybe a Digimon that swims can help you out there". If you can't do it anyway, then why misinform the player? Or, maybe I misinterpreted it, or the translators did.

I assume misinterpretation on your part since the BlackAgumon you talked to explicitly mentions the existence of the buoyancy program and that it was in the possession of a Digimon, the digimon in question being Chuumon/Tyumon. I also suspect that Chuumon may have actually been around from start but it only appears during the day.

Part of the reason I think was the case is that Chuumon is the only Digimon I saw running around on the water in the beach area, the Kamemon were next to the water but not running around past the point you were being blocked like Chuumon was.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

Was the Chuumon actually there the first time I rocked through that screen? I don't remember him there. But then, I'm not sure if I've been there since completing the first memorial stela, so he might've only spawned in then, like the later stela only activating on plot command.

You were only there before at night and areas have been shown having different Digimon depending on whether it's day or night so it may have either been wrong time to see Chuumon or a plot induced spawn.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 23, 2015

• Locked thread