Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Actually he sold me some blade oil and then I used it to murder him. v :) v He didn't drop his style though, the prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Actually he sold me some blade oil and then I used it to murder him. v :) v He didn't drop his style though, the prick.

Always save before murdering someone if there's a specific reward you're aiming for. If they don't drop it, reload.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Picked this up two days ago, got 11 hours in. This is probably the best I've ever done in a WoTS game. Three endings completed (if you count getting boiled once), a sword with over 200 damage (Black Mark't, working on building a custom sword with the Asura blade for a better reach sword), and I've got the starting style mastered (the towards+block+heavy attack is loving brutal, leg sweep plus ground stab? Baller).

I've got the unlock for guns, but apparently there's only two pistols in the game, and the easiest one to get either requires the Dice of Destiny event (which I've haven't been able to make appear, is there a quest chain I need to start?) or play through the Prajna questline again and hope that JJ is using his gun when we kill him (eww, please don't make me play through nihon racism simulator again). Is that correct? I wanna bring a gun to a sword fight.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

God drat is it hard to beat all of Uchimada's retainers the second time around.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Unrelated to my last post but I love that after a while the game stops playing the opening boat ride at the beginning and just drops you off at the docks.

Also getting through the first set of fights fast enough that everyone there goes full :stare: "Holy poo poo that was amazing. You just kicked my rear end and it was incredible. Please please please be my friend." is just the best. :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RickVoid posted:

Picked this up two days ago, got 11 hours in. This is probably the best I've ever done in a WoTS game. Three endings completed (if you count getting boiled once), a sword with over 200 damage (Black Mark't, working on building a custom sword with the Asura blade for a better reach sword), and I've got the starting style mastered (the towards+block+heavy attack is loving brutal, leg sweep plus ground stab? Baller).

Jeez, I've played it for like 17 hours and I only just now fought a bunch of Demonscales on Day 3(?).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Once you've done a playthrough to completion, it's really easy to see how to get through the game super fast.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Jeez, I've played it for like 17 hours and I only just now fought a bunch of Demonscales on Day 3(?).

Some of the longer missions throw either an infinite or near infinite number of enemies at you, which helps with two things: a metric gently caress-ton of poo poo swords to melt down for scrap (more on this in a bit), building up kills on your chosen sword, and helping you master your chosen style. The drop rate for consumables (food for vitality, whetstone for fixing your sword when you've ground it down) is pretty good too, so there's no reason you can't grid 'em a bit.

I've also been playing on Easy, but since Easy is Normal, Normal is Hard, Hard is Very Hard, and Harakiri is Impossible, I don't feel bad about that.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
A nice trick I found for unlocking JJ's pistol if you already have 'Ogre Island' is to finish the game with it equipped. When you meet your past character in a new game, they should have 'Josephine'(?) equipped.

I made a cowboy themed character just to test it. It felt strange doing the foreigners' quest line with everyone referring to John Wayne as a noble samurai.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well then you should've modeled yourself after Tom Cruise

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I figured out how to get the Dice of Destiny event!

And then JJ decided to use a sword instead of his gun!

And I didn't save before the fight!

:negative:

At least it's super easy to get back there, but goddamn do I feel like a moron now.

MediumWellDone posted:

A nice trick I found for unlocking JJ's pistol if you already have 'Ogre Island' is to finish the game with it equipped. When you meet your past character in a new game, they should have 'Josephine'(?) equipped.

I made a cowboy themed character just to test it. It felt strange doing the foreigners' quest line with everyone referring to John Wayne as a noble samurai.

But to get Ogre Island I would have to do Glorious Nihon Nationalism Quest again, but choose this time to die with the rest of the idiots. (Yes, getting Ogre Island and being allowed to use it requires siding with the Prajna's and seeing both sides of their lovely quest, because one side gets you the revolver but you have to do the other side to get the unlock to be able to use it.) gently caress that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Prajna own, though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like JJ more. He loves gambling and sushi.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have a gun!

Wow this thing is poo poo. The Ulster Gun Arts move-set suuuuuucks and it's a struggle to kill people with it.

It doesn't help that I made the mistake of using my ore to to improve its durability first, then I tried to refine it to make it stronger. It only let me do it once, now I have to melt more lovely swords so I can use the recast option. Thanks Dojima.

Thojima.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The secret about guns is if you put the bigshot charm onto one it becomes super super broken since you can just kind of one-hit anything in the game with 3x bigshot. Doing that involves a mind numbing and time consuming process so it is never worth it.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

RickVoid posted:

Wow this thing is poo poo. The Ulster Gun Arts move-set suuuuuucks and it's a struggle to kill people with it.
Stick with it. Like all styles, it sucks at first, but then you unlock some sweet moves and just start murdering everything.

Really, the most important upgrade you can have on your gun is the Unbreakable title. Actually firing it does heavy damage to its durability. With Unbreakable, you can just fire repeatedly and indiscriminately, which obviously makes killing dudes much easier. Find some nice secluded corner where people won't bother you (like the language school's little front yard) and just keep firing until it breaks, get it repaired, and repeat until you've repaired enough for Unbreakable. Don't get any of the other durability titles, they'll just make the process take longer, and it takes long anough already.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

The secret about guns is if you put the bigshot charm onto one it becomes super super broken since you can just kind of one-hit anything in the game with 3x bigshot. Doing that involves a mind numbing and time consuming process so it is never worth it.
What is this process? Since you can't disassemble/reassemble guns, the only way I can think of to possibly get charms on a gun is for it to spawn with them already on it. Or hack/glitch it somehow.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RiffRaff1138 posted:

What is this process? Since you can't disassemble/reassemble guns, the only way I can think of to possibly get charms on a gun is for it to spawn with them already on it. Or hack/glitch it somehow.

Yeah, that confused me a bit.

Thanks for the gun advice.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Through an odd series of events I just discovered this series and it is amazing. Played through 2 a bunch on a soft moddded ps2 and got this a few days ago.

Some of you seem to have like western style hats, but I haven't seen any in the clothing store where are you getting them from?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

wow rude posted:

Some of you seem to have like western style hats, but I haven't seen any in the clothing store where are you getting them from?
Check the Foreign Restaurant.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any days past the tournament? No matter what I do the game ends there. I mean, that's fine if it does I'm just wondering if I should be trying to make it through or what.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Are there any days past the tournament? No matter what I do the game ends there. I mean, that's fine if it does I'm just wondering if I should be trying to make it through or what.

If you're sponsored by a faction and win there should be a point where you regain control and are asked to join the other winners.

Don't. Just walk away and leave the tournament grounds.

(It has been a while since I've played the game but this should work.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Airspace posted:

If you're sponsored by a faction and win there should be a point where you regain control and are asked to join the other winners.

Don't. Just walk away and leave the tournament grounds.

(It has been a while since I've played the game but this should work.)

You will be stopped and asked what the hell you are doing. DO NOT TURN BACK.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A drat fine game, I just finished the light of truth ending at last.

Wish it was easy to mod, seeing Royal Marines all wearing blue bugs the poo poo out of me.

Decayer
Jul 25, 2007
Purveyor of fine tarts
http://store.steampowered.com/app/427510/

WotS3 on Steam!

Decayer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 23, 2016

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

For those that have played WoTS 4 and 3, what are the major "selling points" of 3 that someone whos played 4 would enjoy?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's more way of the samurai

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Conot posted:

For those that have played WoTS 4 and 3, what are the major "selling points" of 3 that someone whos played 4 would enjoy?

It's less "anime" and silly than 4, takes place during an earlier period of Japanese history than 4, being set in the Sengoku era instead of at the tail end of the Shogunate. There are 22 endings to get compared to 4's 10. Probably the biggest difference is how time is handled. Time only passes in 4 when viewing certain events or sleeping, while time constantly moves in 3 but 3 also doesn't have a day limit either and you can stick around for as long as you want. A whole lot of other little things are different too. But basically.

Robo Reagan posted:

it's more way of the samurai

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Man, this game caught of me off guard.

I was just chilling around doing standard fare thinking this is gonna be a light hearted sandboxie game with a fun wushu styled plot. Then "look at how I'm totally not evil" dude shows up. I rock his tournament, but I walk away from the celebrations because I don't wanna join his bodyguard trope. Plus, me and English boy and are bros4lyfe and the hopelessly goodie girl is good to have around. But then everything goes down hill after the stew pot incident. They murder my bro 4 lyfe, and I'm about to go on a Sterling Archer style rampage. But then Laura manages to dissaude me, and I'm like all fine. But then they decided to dig their own graves anyways, so I just kindly put them in there. Problem is that I'm bad at this game and during the Ambush Laura gets killed. I consider save scumming, but when the camera pans to my character just sitting there on the docks where he came I knew what I had to do.

Go to blacksmith and I disassemble all my weapons. I pour everything I have into crafting two new swords, Laura and JJ. I enter the Magistrate, the guard demands to know what I'm doing there. Without a word I cut him down, and proceed on wards to exact my vengeance. I butcher the constable that once called me friend, and finally reach his daughters.They try to put up a fight, but it's Spring Harvest time and they are given no mercy.

Now I am off the Edo, but put down one final dog.

Real talk though, I probably haven't been this engaged with a game since... Well.. gently caress. Actually I think this might be the most engaging game I've played.

On a side note, where can I buy a different base outfit?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SweetBro posted:

You playthroughs net you points you can spend between runs on the character editor goodies.

For some reason unlocking a girl model doesn't give you any free clothes to go with her.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

SweetBro posted:

There's a shop in the Main Plaza where you can buy clothes, as well as accessories and hairstyles/colors. Face the road to the Town area, and the shop is the first building on the right side of that road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

There's a shop in the Main Plaza where you can buy clothes, as well as accessories and hairstyles/colors. Face the road to the Town area, and the shop is the first building on the right side of that road.

And just in case you're an idiot like me and don't realize it at first, it's actually three shops in one.

Also I had like the same exact same play through but no way was I letting her die. The next play through though I ran all those bastards through.

I'm going to play through 3 tomorrow I hope it's as fun. I liked that 4 had a pretty good sense of humor.

• Locked thread