Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

ShadowMar posted:

Akiba's Trip. :rip:

This seems like a trap somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

This seems like a trap somehow!

Very much so, but the WotS devs did do the combat for that game lmao.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I just got off this boat and then turned around and punched the guy in the face and kicked him off the side of the pier because I'm a dick. Am I locked out of the "gently caress y'all I'm out" NG+ option?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I just got off this boat and then turned around and punched the guy in the face and kicked him off the side of the pier because I'm a dick. Am I locked out of the "gently caress y'all I'm out" NG+ option?

Nah, you just can't choose to NG+ at any time you wish. You'll have to go to one of the arranged finish points (the tournament, normally) or die and save and exit, which'll toss all your equipped weapons out to Katana Thieves and your cash/ingredients will dissapear. You do hold on to styles though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Late on this, but my problem with the Yakuza games is they take ludonarrative dissonance to entirely new levels.

The action involves you being this insane badass who punches the poo poo out of everyone who gets in your way, and a lot of people somehow think getting in your way is a good idea.

But so many of the cutscenes are SLLLOOOOWW. I have serious tone dissonance here. Like, every action drama needs its quiet time for pacing, right? That's important. Quiet time is important. But it's just jarring for me.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Finally got through Amihama Eight and I'm ten styles richer for it!

Jesus, I forgot how easy story missions are compared to the later side missions.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm still on day two of my first playthrough. I get the feeling I should just get on with it already and stop loving around.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Having trouble with getting the nightly pleasure kung fu.

I got 20 ladies and have fought Alice and the ninja kitty ladies like 20 times. Haven't seen the dude show up yet.

Also during one fight a student joined in and hit me, and it expelled them. I shin kicked another lady into my dojo but now its only 4 stars.

Also the dojo fighting style ultimate move is so good it feels like cheating.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So it turns out my graphical errors needed me to Verify Game Cache on steam. Now I have to do this pretty much every time I play or they come back. What the hell?

Anyway can you recruit dojo challengers to your dojo? A cool lady attacked my dojo earlier and if not for the fact that I murdered her for her sword I would have tried then and there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh hey additional, non-gameplay related question: is there any way I can crank up my settings, like lower the bloom and up my anti-aliasing in a config file or something? I'm no stranger to editing those, but I dunno where they hide it.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You can disable HDR in the S4-SETTINGS.ini file. This tones down bloom, and removes the glare effect. You can also maybe increase anti-aliasing through driver settings.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Any way to decrease my crime? All of the stores are out of stock for just about everything.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Fausty posted:

Any way to decrease my crime? All of the stores are out of stock for just about everything.

Do the magistrate mission where you kill all the yakuza.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fausty posted:

You can gently caress with crime rate easily by doing kill missions (The old magistrate has one and so does the madame at the Yakuza den). You can also get a worse one by sleeping outside and a better one by sleeping inside, and some sidejobs will change it also.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Fausty posted:

Working for the hobo or the magistrate to be a thief-taker will decrease crime and it's less tedious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So is there any way to make people fight you that I'm missing? Even dudes with swords, I hit them and they just run away half the time.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So is there any way to make people fight you that I'm missing? Even dudes with swords, I hit them and they just run away half the time.

You can tell them you're allowed to kill to piss them off. If they run away they're just cowards, but if they ignore you you can start kicking them and they'll kick back at you for a bit. Keep it up for a few moments and they'll usually draw their sword.

I once got a foreign lady into my dojo by kicking her into a train, and she stood back up ready to beat some rear end.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 4, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The dojo is kind of frustrating. I keep getting the same double challengers. So while I'm killing the first guy the second one always kills at least one of my pupils. I don't think I've ever had more than five at a time thanks to this.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You can find the Sensei in the Back road spot before the cemetery. You have to suggest several jobs, by following up on her at each venue before she eventually works as an instructor at your dojo. She'll basically do all the defending while you gather pupils and do other stuff.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Note that you'll probably want to murder her a few times before then since she has like three unique swords associated with her just on easy/normal and I can't remember if she has any for hard/harakiri.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Note that you'll probably want to murder her a few times before then since she has like three unique swords associated with her just on easy/normal and I can't remember if she has any for hard/harakiri.

Do unique NPCs like that only spawn once per playthrough? If so I guess I'll kill her before I end the game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

Do unique NPCs like that only spawn once per playthrough? If so I guess I'll kill her before I end the game.

Yeah. Dojima and Sensei both, although I think Dojima only has one unique sword for easy/normal aside from his hammer when he's the smith.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So what I'm getting is make a trash character for easy and murder literally everyone at least once. Also turns out if you murder the Bodyguard in the hospital, she has a chance to drop Centurian guards if you kick her corpse. Neat. Now to find someone who jumps a lot so I can master this style.

Oh dear. Now challengers just walk into the crowd of pupils I have and just swing their swords at me and there's nothing I can do or I start killing my own pupils. This AI can get painfully bad.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 4, 2015

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Ugh I just did the Amihama 8 mission on easy but no one dropped any styles at all. Was that just extremely unlucky of me or did I mess up somewhere.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Ugh I just did the Amihama 8 mission on easy but no one dropped any styles at all. Was that just extremely unlucky of me or did I mess up somewhere.

Unlucky. Be sure to kick corpses for a while, nearly every dead body has one more item drop in them which is frequently how I end up getting styles since they don't drop often from the initial kill. You can either kick (The fast way), do a loot animation by hitting light attack especially while your weapon is sheathed (Slow), or attacks that cause the "punch" sound effect can also make them drop their spare item (So, for example, hand-to-handing a body while attacking someone else). Note that it is illegal and will get the cops on you if they see you, just listen for the whistle.

Doing that will also lower your samurai rank at the end, to get the best rank you want to basically almost never do that (Reserve it for special or unique characters since I think the limit's like 20 before you go down to the second-highest rank?), to get the worst rank you want to do it over 1000 times.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 4, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mash posted:

Brother!

Well, umm the thing about that

It's really more of a Quiet situation currently

I was short on ore so I picked a couple fights, and an Underling came walking along and thought this dead Demonscale was the funniest damned thing he'd ever seen:

EDIT: I finally figured out why I kept getting turned into Samurai Soup. I thought walking up to the platform was all part of the ceremony, but you're just supposed to walk away. It makes sense now that I realized by walking up to the platform you're agreeing to join the Demonscales. If you're allied with somebody the guy knows it so he boils you alive for being a filthy traitor greed pig, but if you've been mostly neutral then he just lets you join. I'm guessing everyone else is just there for flavor.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 4, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I waited six months for this game to stop getting its release date pushed back and my loving monitor dies two days after it finally comes out. :smithicide:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Joe Gillian posted:

I made a Champloo mod, too. This is a total rescore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnwSJIXLLZY

thank you for this, this improves the game twofold at the very minimum

i never realized that the main theme of the game kicks in for like 30 seconds on the best ending path until this mod made that moment 10x better because of battlecry kicking in

Emong
May 31, 2011

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

You can leave and save right before the last fight and just reload until everyone drops what you want. I had to do the last fight twice before I got everything on hard.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm like 90% on board with buying this but does the combat get better as the game goes on? At the start there's only four or so moves and when I did the tutorials and the first big mass battle of the government vs the rebels it felt really janky and awkward.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Pierson posted:

I'm like 90% on board with buying this but does the combat get better as the game goes on? At the start there's only four or so moves and when I did the tutorials and the first big mass battle of the government vs the rebels it felt really janky and awkward.

The more you use a style the more moves you unlock. If you go into your style list and press Y on the selected style it will show you all the moves that are currently unlocked and what else is left to unlock on that style. And there are a freaking poo poo ton of styles so you're bound to find something that suits your taste. When you first start out you're stuck with the default style with no moves unlocked, so it's gonna be kind of rough.

My favorite style so far have the been the ones that remind me of Xianghua from Soul Calibur.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Double Monocle posted:

Having trouble with getting the nightly pleasure kung fu.

I got 20 ladies and have fought Alice and the ninja kitty ladies like 20 times. Haven't seen the dude show up yet.

Also during one fight a student joined in and hit me, and it expelled them. I shin kicked another lady into my dojo but now its only 4 stars.

Also the dojo fighting style ultimate move is so good it feels like cheating.

It's completely random. I must have killed the pink lady and the kitty ninjas at least a dozen times each before the lover showed up, but he showed up like three times in a very short span. Maybe I'll get him one out of every ten challengers. I have no idea what the chances are, his just seems to be extraordinarily low -- also, he ONLY shows up if you have five stars, so if you're only at four you better expel that new lady and try and get someone better.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Pierson posted:

There is a style that you can unlock that combines stabbing, moonwalking, and breakdancing. It is glorious.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Sensei Gordu-San is complete! Now to play out playthrough 3 with him.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Having just played through to the Light of Hope ending, I've made some adjustments to the Champloo mod. It'll be updated in about 20 minutes from the time of this post.

EDIT: It's up.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 5, 2015

Emong
May 31, 2011

So hey, if you're trying to unlock some of those "hit an enemy with a base move while under X HP" make sure you're using a weaker weapon for it. Turns out it doesn't like to unlock if the attack you use kills the enemy you're attacking.

Emong fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 5, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Emong posted:

So hey, if you're trying to unlock some of those "hit an enemy with a base move while under X HP" make sure you're using a weaker weapon for it. Turns out it doesn't like to unlock if the attack you use kills the enemy you're attacking.

It wants your HP to be that low not the enemy's.

Emong
May 31, 2011

I know. I spent forever waiting for an enemy to whittle me down to below 250 HP and then killed four of them with the attack that should have unlocked the move and got nothing. Then I grabbed a blunt sword off the ground and it started working.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So how does degradation work in this game? I hit the recast button and it said it'd lower the degradation. But it just raised it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Are the three evil daughters some kind of King Lear/Ran reference?

• Locked thread