Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Gyges posted:

coupes.

I agree. The beach boys warned us about this. Sedans or death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Falstaff Infection posted:

This doesn't actually mean anything.

It actually means exactly what I said it means in the rest of that paragraph, if you'd not just stopped at the buzzword.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Volkerball posted:

Even Bush was able to climb up into the 90's post 9/11.

:allears:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do you suppose McCain or Romney administrations would have done better? Or Clinton had she won in 2008? Obama sucks on this issue, but he is the lesser of available evils.

I keep wondering when Obama supporters will stop hiding behind the "but he's the lesser evil!" excuse. I still have hope.

Warcabbit posted:

No, no, all this NSA stuff was happening WAY before Snowden.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest#Refusal_of_NSA_surveillance_requests

Hell, back in the 60s, we know for a fact the NSA was recording every single overseas call and cable leaving the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Committee

This poo poo is not new, it's not surprising, and that does not make it better at all.

Yes, the NSA has always conducted surveillance, but like you say, only when said calls and cables involved foreign parties. Because, you see, that's what the NSA's job is: foreign intelligence and counter-intelligence.

Today, however, the NSA spies on American citizens, even when said communication does not involve foreign parties. The difference is clear: the state sees its own citizens as potential threats to national security, and is willing to do anything to uphold it, up to and including assassinating them.

But yes, let's talk about how awesome Obama is.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

enraged_camel posted:

The difference is clear: the state sees its own citizens as potential threats to national security, and is willing to do anything to uphold it, up to and including assassinating them.

Gotta love the Patriot Act, or as it is now more commonly known, Obama's Evil Surveillance Act That He Personally Put In Place Seven Years Before Being Elected. Also, what assassinations are you talking about here?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Re-read the links. The word 'domestic' shows up a few times. It didn't start with Obama, and it didn't start with September 11th, either.
Blaming him for it is inappropriate.

This does not make it good, it just makes it institutional.

E: I'm going to guess targeting various people who were Americans and working, presumably, with the Taliban.

We woulda done the same thing any other administration, only with jet fighters and less accuracy.

Either way, he's shifting the topic.

You can blame Obama for not _stopping_ it, but you can't blame him for starting it.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 3, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Somfin posted:

Gotta love the Patriot Act, or as it is now more commonly known, Obama's Evil Surveillance Act That He Personally Put In Place Seven Years Before Being Elected. Also, what assassinations are you talking about here?

Obama had a choice. He could have fully pardoned Snowden and declared him a national hero for blowing the whistle on NSA's unconstitutional activities. Instead, he further cemented the culture of mass surveillance by shunning him.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yes, he could have done that. He also could have had Snowden assassinated. He could do a lot of things.

I think this topic is measuring what he _did_ do. In this case, he _did_ attempt prosecution of Snowden. I'm not... really... sure how that's something any other President wouldn't have done.

I'm going to look back... yeah, I think pretty much all of them would have attempted prosecution. Maybe the next president or president after that would have pardoned Snowden decades later, but the active president would probably have prosecuted him.

Except maybe Jimmy Carter, and I'm not sure about that - Jimmy _was_ ex-Navy and he had a perspective on state secrets.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 3, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

enraged_camel posted:

Obama had a choice. He could have fully pardoned Snowden and declared him a national hero for blowing the whistle on NSA's unconstitutional activities. Instead, he further cemented the culture of mass surveillance by shunning him.

You're attempting to deflect attention away from the poo poo that the NSA was suddenly legally allowed to do under Bush.

enraged_camel posted:

up to and including assassinating them.

What assassinations were you referring to here?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Somfin posted:

What assassinations were you referring to here?

Seriously?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Those guys weren't exactly attacked for going to an OWS rally you know. I think when it comes to somebody working directly with the Taliban, "the State" could be forgiven for thinking that citizen is a threat to national security.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Those guys weren't exactly attacked for going to an OWS rally you know. I think when it comes to somebody working directly with the Taliban, "the State" could be forgiven for thinking that citizen is a threat to national security.

A citizen may be a threat to national security, but the Constitution says that all citizens are entitled to due process.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Gyges posted:

There was also the oil crisis and stagflation. Then Kennedy went and tried to primary him. The Iran Hostage crisis wasn't the only thing dragging down his popularity.

Stagflation and oil crisis started because of Nixon and continued under Ford, and we don't' remember them for it.

With Nixon you can argue that it was overshadowed by Watergate, but nobody remembers Ford for anything

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I think people's opposition to the drone campaign is less "OH NO ROBUTTS!!!" and more to do with killing large numbers of civilians in countries with which we aren't actually at war. Of course, drone warfare is endlessly more moral than Bush's foreign policy, but it's still pretty much evil.

I don't think people were saying poo poo when the US were blowing up stuff with cruise missiles though.

People were hardly saying more poo poo when US troops blew up civilians in Iraq in far larger numbers.

I was watching this debate between the Pakistani ambassador and some US generals on drones, and it's pretty revealing that the ambassador basically said that drones were especially "insidious" but dodged questions on whether he thinks it would be better if F-16s were doing the bombing instead.

I think a large part of the drone controversy really does come down to "killer robots" and it would be far less controversial if F-16s did the bombings even if it did kill more civilians.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

enraged_camel posted:

A citizen may be a threat to national security, but the Constitution says that all citizens are entitled to due process.

The constitution also says that the executive branch has the power to wage war as it sees fit once congress authorizes it. In the US civil war for example you didn't need a warrant to kill every single Confederate soldier even though they are legally US citizens.

You might not like it, but drone strike on Awlaki is constitutional. Whether that's a good thing or not is another question.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Hang Jonathan Pollard from the nearest tree branch for selling state secrets, a treasonous offense if there ever was one. Also make sure to send in a SEAL team to capture this guy

quote:

In a video posted to the internet on November 8, 2010, al-Awlaki called for Muslims around the world to kill Americans "without hesitation", and overthrow Arab leaders. He said that no fatwa (special clerical ruling) is required to kill Americans: "Don't consult with anyone in fighting the Americans, fighting the devil doesn't require consultation or prayers or seeking divine guidance. They are the party of the devils."

because in spite of the fact that he's surrounded by armed gunmen at all times, blowing him up from orbit violates due process requirements and that he is actively, at this very moment, committing treason has to be proven in a court of lawnever mind that a court case was filed and the dismissal made the point al-Awlaki himself could have challenged it.

I mean, of all the ways we've misused drones over the years, this has got to be the least significant one.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Adar posted:

Hang Jonathan Pollard from the nearest tree branch for selling state secrets, a treasonous offense if there ever was one. Also make sure to send in a SEAL team to capture this guy

because in spite of the fact that he's surrounded by armed gunmen at all times, blowing him up from orbit violates due process requirements and that he is actively, at this very moment, committing treason has to be proven in a court of lawnever mind that a court case was filed and the dismissal made the point al-Awlaki himself could have challenged it.

I mean, of all the ways we've misused drones over the years, this has got to be the least significant one.

If the dude didn't want to get blown up by evil killer robots he shouldn't' have joined an organization which declared war on the US and which the US congress explicitly has authorized military action against, if he just founded al-Gaydar or something instead he would at least have some wiggle room on the language of the AUMF.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Even Bush was able to climb up into the 90's post 9/11.

If Fidel Castro was president during 9/11, his popularity would have hit the 90's. It had nothing to do with Bush.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Typo posted:

Stagflation and oil crisis started because of Nixon and continued under Ford, and we don't' remember them for it.

With Nixon you can argue that it was overshadowed by Watergate, but nobody remembers Ford for anything

Just because they weren't his fault doesn't mean they didn't get laid on Carter. '79 had gas lines and freak outs because the Iranian Revolution caused oil prices to skyrocket. Also in '79 the FED changed tactics on the economy and went to work on inflation, giving the country record interest rates and unemployment skyrocketed. Of course Carter had also helped fan the inflation through monetary policy when he first took office.

The economy was poo poo and people having trouble getting gas for their cars was fresh in voters minds. They certainly weren't going to give Carter a pass on them just because Nixon started it, especially when Carter's actions were directly responsible for where they were then. Of course had Carter managed to beat Reagan he would have gotten the credit for turning it all around that Reagan got. It was Carter's boy Volker's monetary policy that finally reigned in the inflation and set us into the glorious excess of the 80s.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

enraged_camel posted:

lol Isn't the NSA like, STILL constructing huge hubs in the middle of the desert for purposes of storing documentation of everything that was ever done on the internet, ever? And a loving lion getting shot is making international headlines instead? :sigh: The new True Detective slogan applies to the U.S. population perfectly: We get the world that we deserve.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

He's also helping out some of the most vulnerable states such as Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan.
The friendly, flying Obamabots will surely bring about peaceful, democratic states fully interested in working towards America's national interests.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

No, the Constitution says all persons are entitled to due process. Citizens have no more constitutional protections from drone than anybody else.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

killing large numbers of civilians in countries with which we aren't actually at war.

Where are we killing large numbers of civilians again?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I keep wondering when Obama supporters will stop hiding behind the "but he's the lesser evil!" excuse. I still have hope.

What are you going to compare your political options to except the alternatives? Sure, based on some platonic ideal, Obama is bad on surveillance and privacy. Compared to any other viable candidate this century, he does not stand out.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Spotty foreign policy notwithstanding, it's still pretty cool my cousin was able to marry his longtime boyfriend hassle-free.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah, the comparison space is not 'a decent human being' or even 'a good presidential candidate' but rather 'all previously serving presidents, with special attention paid to the last century.'

Clinton bombed that aspirin factory, remember?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

It shouldn't be. Some of the hallmarks of the American center-left are a belief in the power of the state to curb the abuses of private industry (which the PPACA does through its pre-existing conditions regulations among other new requirements for insurance companies) and the validity of wealth transfers to aid the poor (which the PPACA does through the medicaid expansion). I, like literally every liberal/progressive in the country, believe that Single Payer would be better and will continue to fight that battle. I am not naive enough, however, to believe that Obama could've somehow used the magic of THE BULLY PULPIT to transform people like Max Baucus and Joe Lieberman into social democrats. Could he have fought harder for the public option? Did he give away too much to try to court republican support? Perhaps. But lest we forget, Rahm Emmanuel and Biden were both urging him to abandon the fight for healthcare reform after the special election in Massachussetts, but Obama (correctly) ignored their advice. The PPACA was a progressive piece of legislation and very much a step in the right direction. As always, though, la luche sigue.

Obama should have stood firm on the public option, though. The original draft of the bill (Medicaid compensation changes, public option, expansion of Medicaid) that was envisioned would have been an excellent thing for politicians to point to in order to build support for single payer. Seriously, what insurance company would be able to compete with the federal government if the public option for a Medicare buy-in was available today? They're running as a non-profit and can't go bankrupt so they can essentially take on infinite risk and would be able to offer lower premiums than private insurers. Instead, Obama hosed that up and let it slip away. I absolutely do not believe the public option was politically nonviable.

I do medical billing working with self-pay and privately-insured patients, and PPACA has created this wild variance in employer health plans. Low-wage hourly workers at some of our major employers in the area have trouble even paying their deductibles, much less the rest of their medical bills. We have to deal with rising medical costs, and PPACA isn't doing poo poo. Really the best outcome of PPACA is that it leads to single payer, and...it's not a particularly a good platform for that after it was neutered. The worst is that the GOP's "repeal and replace" leads to Paul Ryan personally distributing Medicare vouchers to the elderly.

The weird loving malaise of the left that has them shrugging their shoulders and saying "Well, I guess this was the best we could do!" is poo poo.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Spotty foreign policy notwithstanding, it's still pretty cool my cousin was able to marry his longtime boyfriend hassle-free.

Thanks to the Supreme Court.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

crabcakes66 posted:

Where are we killing large numbers of civilians again?

Pakistan, Yemen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Afghanistan too.

TheImmigrant posted:

Thanks to the Supreme Court.

Obama appointed two of the judges!

So did Bush :D

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

No, the Constitution says all persons are entitled to due process. Citizens have no more constitutional protections from drone than anybody else.

The Constitution is written for America. The implicit context is American citizens. This is why people in Yemen don't have freedom of speech, for example.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

enraged_camel posted:

The Constitution is written for America. The implicit context is American citizens. This is why people in Yemen don't have freedom of speech, for example.

The implicit context is anyone under the jurisdiction of the United States.

Do you really think that foreigners in the US don't have the right to a speedy trial, the right to an attorney, the right to not self-incriminate, etc?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Pakistan, Yemen.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Afghanistan too.

Large numbers meaning what exactly? Are we launching hellfires at schools and markets or something?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

crabcakes66 posted:

Large numbers meaning what exactly? Are we launching hellfires at schools and markets or something?

41 men targeted but 1,147 people killed in Pakistan, as of November of last year.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Obdicut posted:

The implicit context is anyone under the jurisdiction of the United States.

Do you really think that foreigners in the US don't have the right to a speedy trial, the right to an attorney, the right to not self-incriminate, etc?

It depends. The government seems to have the power to unilaterally declare someone an "enemy combatant" and extrajudicially murder the poo poo out of them. So I'm not sure if having a bunch of rights matters at this point.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

It depends. The government seems to have the power to unilaterally declare someone an "enemy combatant" and extrajudicially murder the poo poo out of them. So I'm not sure if having a bunch of rights matters at this point.

The judicial process is inapplicable to combat, and combat deaths do not fall under the definition of "murder." Reasonable people can disagree on what constitutes "combat," of course, which is the controversy involved here.

The Obama Administration has continued Bush's policy of making disingenuous, bad-faith legal arguments to justify erosion of constitutional principles. In this case, it involves an expansion of what is a "combatant."

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 3, 2015

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

crabcakes66 posted:

Nah just sensible military targets like weddings.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

The Phlegmatist posted:

Obama should have stood firm on the public option, though. The original draft of the bill (Medicaid compensation changes, public option, expansion of Medicaid) that was envisioned would have been an excellent thing for politicians to point to in order to build support for single payer. Seriously, what insurance company would be able to compete with the federal government if the public option for a Medicare buy-in was available today? They're running as a non-profit and can't go bankrupt so they can essentially take on infinite risk and would be able to offer lower premiums than private insurers. Instead, Obama hosed that up and let it slip away. I absolutely do not believe the public option was politically nonviable.

Okay, you convinced me. Now convince Joe "almost McCain's running mate and not because he said no" Lieberman.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

The judicial process is inapplicable to combat, and combat deaths do not fall under the definition of "murder." Reasonable people can disagree on what constitutes "combat," of course, which is the controversy involved here.

The Obama Administration has continued Bush's policy of making disingenuous, bad-faith legal arguments to justify erosion of constitutional principles. In this case, it involves an expansion of what is a "combatant."

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Typo posted:

...nobody remembers Ford for anything

He pardoned Nixon which immediately ruined any chance at having a non-shameful legacy while arguably setting the tone for modern politics.

• Locked thread