Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Alain Post posted:

Never. F1 has never been good.

And its heading in to terminal decline with our Lord and Saviour Formula E set to save us from despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Looks like Jenson Button's F1 days might be over. Various reports in last 2 days saying he has signed on to be one of the next hosts of Top Gear, and the rumours look to be strong as all betting on it appears to have been stopped.

Its very unlikely he can do that and still drive in F1 for Williams as was also rumoured.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Is it just me or... well... seriously do people like this really exist I mean.. is it just me?

He moans about everything except Ferrari, so its just you.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brainwrong posted:

Benson is off his tits.

Alonso - 9

Ricciardo - 8

Button - 8

How?? How are any of those scores reflective of the 2015 season??

Alonso and Button I agree with Benson as its amazing they have managed to drag that poo poo heap of a car into the points as many times as they have.

But the Aussie (aka poo poo) at most should be on a 6 he's been one of the worst 'top team' drivers this year on par with Rosberg.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
On the note of Donington -

Formula E Pre-season testing starts on Monday at Donington, with the new none all the same cars. Tickets are FREE (Only £5 if you want a pitwalk) so if you live near Donington and have time spare on a Monday or a Tuesday over the next 3 weeks might be worth a look -

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/fiaformulae-london/

List of teams that have finally entered -

ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport (DEU)
Andretti Formula E Team (USA)
Dragon Racing (USA)
DS Virgin Racing Formula E Team (GBR)
Mahindra Racing Formula E Team (IND)
NEXTEV TCR Formula E Team (CHN)
Renault e.Dams (FRA)
Team Aguri (JPN)
Trulli Formula E Team (CHE)
Venturi Formula E Team (MCO)

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

Haas is in talks with 0 drivers who are any good.

FTFY.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Kimi's signed with the Scud for another year.

Haha, so they decided to keep the poo poo driver they have instead of switching to a different poo poo driver as they planned. Ferrari never stop being bad.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Kyvat is the biggest failure on the grid by allowing his Australian team mate to out qualify him.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Everytime they stop the garage telling things to the drivers nico gets worse.

Rosberg is just Massa, but even more poo poo.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

Ofcourse Shamilton cuts the track limits and gets no penalty

Track limits and Spa don't work, and we have this brought up every race here.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Could be an important podium, given they need to find a buyer /someone with millions in cash before they can leave the circuit :)

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Vettel just on BBC swearing a lot saying its all Pirelli's fault.

And not the loving idiots who thought they could run 1 tire for 30 laps around Spa!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brainwrong posted:

He's Ferrari now. Nothing is ever a Ferrari driver's fault.

On that note has it ever been made public when Rosberg's current contract with Merc ends? i.e. is it next year.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

I am "reliably" "informed" by Joe's Award that PDVSA are actually broke and any shenanigans with the Lotus team ownership will likely result in Pastor being shown the door.

Hard to see how Lotus will cope with the loss of their #1 driver. :(

Yeah there are reports the bailiffs have seized their cars and have impounded them at the track. Really does look like the end unless someone buys them in the next few days. At the very most they have a week to sort this mess out.

edit: They have seized everything when they tried to remove it from the track including their trucks.

ukle fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 25, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dudley posted:

Didn't we know that though, that wasn't even them being broke so much as the legal dispute with Charles Pic over taking his money and forgetting to let him drive the car.

They hadn't seized the equipment though, there was just the threat to. But reports from people at the track say the threat was carried out this morning when the teams vehicles tried to leave. Also various rumours and reports from F1 'journalists' (all be it with no real evidence to back it up) they are either broke or very close to being. They really need a sale to survive.

ukle fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 25, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dudley posted:

It really isn't being reported much either, which is interesting.

Yeah its really odd how none of the English F1 sites are posting about any of this, it was a Brazilian F1 journalist who first broke the news as he was staying near the track, while the English speaking Journalists are mostly based in England so would have gone home Sunday night.

Also a few French F1 sites have reported Lotus has put in a 60 Million Euro offer for a 60% stake in the team, wouldn't hold your breath on that being true though as French F1 journalists are probably as bad as English ones.

ukle fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 25, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dubs posted:

rosberg cant be a national embarresment because he has 3

When Rosberg is driving at Ferrari I wonder what national anthem he will choose when he consistently beats worst WDC ever Vettel.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

poty posted:

Renault is only buying the team because they're desperate to get Pastor driving for them again. Ever noticed how they signed with Williams after falling in love with Pastor's first year? And how they dropped them as soon as Pastor said he'd leave for Lotus? But I guess that a bunch of Rosberg fans in an internet forum know more about driving skill than Renault

Rumour is they already have an agreement in principle with Perez for next season to replace Maldonado. Question is does Pastor go the other way, assuming he still has the sponsorship next year?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If i have one lewis criticism its "Stop bragging about your jet, only stupid people buy jets or boats, you rent them instead"

Unless of course you fly around the world a couple of times a week, with your dogs then having your own Jet will save money as the damages fees from dog poo poo have got to be big.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hamilton is fast.

Yeah if Merc weren't already dominant enough the modified engine seems to be completely absurd. They were over a second clear on the rest of the field in first practice, with Hamilton beating Mark Webber mk2 by almost half a second.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Rough guess but the Merc's are probably going to be qualifying in the low 1min 22s while everyone else is going to be 1.5 seconds behind. This weekends race is already over before its begun unless something happens to take out both the Merc's.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

GramCracker posted:

Maldonado can assist with that.

Hes been failing to take out anyone but himself though lately, so I wouldn't even get hopes up for him to return to form and cause a pileup.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Merc are fastest but nowhere near as fast as the practice sessions lead everyone to believe, bizarro none sandbagging in practice sessions it seems.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
All German drivers are poo poo.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

AgentJotun posted:

Is Nico using an old spec engine and Lewis a new one? 3 tenths might not be how much performance the tokens brought, but an engine would also lose a bit of performance after 3 or 4 race weekends. For once I don't think Rosberg did that badly.

Yes they are, but all signs point to they have tuned down Hamilton's engine just in case, given the issues with Rosberg's new engine. Hamilton was widely expected (Based on his 1st and 2nd Practice sessions) to be in the low 1.22's yet he was nowhere near that.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The stewards letter has a time stamp on it, which is just a few minutes before Merc did the radio calls to Lewis to push. I.e. They only reacted once they knew there was a potential issue.

I would be surprised if Merc is DSQ given the Pirelli monitor in their garage OK'ed supposedly.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Heid the Ball posted:

3 questions:

If the pressure was taken before the race and found to be outside limits, do the team get notification and/or have a chance to correct the issue?

If the stewards are aware of an safety-related infringement before the race should they not be duty-bound to notify the team who can either rectify or withdraw?

Equally, if Mercedes knew of a safety-related infringement before the race, did nothing about it and sent the car out anyway, should they be DQd?

1. They had no notification so had no chance to correct it

2. They should be but aren't, hence why Merc were unaware

3. Merc is stating they were unaware of this, which in the case of Lewis's is very possible given 0.3 would only require a few degrees temperature difference from time they were filled to when the measurement was done. Rosberg's though would require a significant difference though, so that one is suspicious.

Its all very questionable and if they do DSQ odds are it will go to the World Motorsports Council, due to all the points you raise. Also Bernie is hoping Merc will do him and F1 a favour and let Red Bull use Merc engines next year, that could well be in jeopardy if they do DSQ.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Finally we can crown Lewis Hamilton 2015 WDC.

53 point lead with 7 races remaining, so unless he has the worst luck in the world or Rosberg suddenly becomes a driving god there is no way he can lose it.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Goetta posted:

They sort of have to get Ferrari engines don't they? Although I hear Honda will be the best engine Any Day Now.

Ferrari will be in a similar position as to Merc, so they will be unlikely to provide engines to Redbulls main team. There only realistic option is Honda - its going to be a fun fight at the back of the grid next year.

I can see Redbull selling the teams after this, question is who buys them. Ferrari for Toro Rosso would be an obvious one, but Redbull really is an odd one, given the teams size etc they have massive overheads.

ukle fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 7, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
They can't get VW, BMW etc in for next year - they can't build a new engine in 6 months.

There only options are Ferrari or Honda and only 1 of them would consider offering them engines to the main team, so its either Honda or they sorry to Renault.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Why are you posting poo poo Formula E circuits in the F1 thread?

Honestly I thought Formula E has raced there, and had to check. Instead it was just flashbacks to the nightmare when this was brought up a year ago.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

Mark Webber on the BBC says the F1 talent pool has never been weaker.

That is all.

Given almost every current driver could beat Webber (Mehri is the exception) he really doesn't understand just how poo poo he actually is. Worst pool was mid 90's to mid 00's and is the main reason why Schumacher won so many titles as he was for most of it the only great driver.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

Lewis Shamilton

Worst WDC and his team mate Vettel was 1st every time. Only poo poo drivers can lose to Vettel in the same car and Webber lost every time.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Gmaz posted:

Hakkinen owned. He was like Kimi except better and not taking a poo poo.

Hakkinen was good not great, same as Button is good but not great.

El Hefe posted:

Have they banned Lewis and Merc for deflategate yet

Nah the report came out and turns out that the FIA is run by loving amateurs and don't understand pressure. Was a complete none issue due to idiots.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

Britain's obvious lack of sporting prowess.

While Australia's literally is -

As Australian Males are so poo poo at Sport that isn't Cricket or Swimming - and they aren't any good at those any more either, hence why a very poo poo driver is the top Aussie sportsman. Australian males are a disgrace to the species.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dudley posted:

The FIA aren't nearly that stupid.

This is the FIA who at the last race proved they didn't understand how pressure works. After that debacle its probably best to assume the worst with them.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

td4guy posted:

I don't think Dre has anything to worry about. Check out the track, second video on the page.

Terrible.

Its bad but its not even Hamilton's work its some guy called Spinz Beats

This is just your normal PR flare and Bose couldn't even afford to pay to get a good producer to do it

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Alain Post posted:

I'm sometimes pretty sure that Frank Williams made a point of hiring the worst drivers possible in the 90s so everyone could see that it was all the car.

He did kind of say words not a million miles off that in the 80's, hence why I hated the bastard in the 80's and 90's as he treated drivers like complete poo poo. I will try and find the exact quote but its something along the lines of 'its 99% down to the car and the driver has very little affect on the result'.

Don't exactly hate him now given hes about 10 years past his should have died point, as you have to have some admiration for someone that keeps death at bay for so long. Except if it was Bernie. gently caress Bernie for ever.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Lotus have 7 days for Renault to buy them or they will be shut down for unpaid taxes -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-34293806

quote:

Lotus has been given seven days breathing space in insolvency proceedings brought by Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

The Formula 1 team, based in Enstone, Oxfordshire, is facing administration over a £900,000 unpaid tax bill.

Mr Justice Birss, at London's High Court, said he would allow time for a deal to be signed that could provide "significant funding" to the company.

Whats the betting Renault gently caress this up somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

There's nothing to gently caress up. The team is having a blow out sale 7 days from now. Renault wins either way.

Not if they are made insolvent and wound up. Then its a mess to sort out and assets will be auctioned once the mess has cleared, usually takes months can take years. If the team is to be saved they have to find a buyer before next Friday or the team will cease to exist.

I wouldn't be shocked if Bernie buys them if Renault pulls out, as would be a massive blow to lose one of the bigger teams.

• Locked thread