Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Problem description: I did a "repair" installation of Windows 8.1 to correct an unrelated issue, and after the installation completed, right-clicking any icon in the task bar pops up a jump list that looks like this:

The background color is the same as the Start Screen's background color (it changes to whatever I set it to), and the Pin and Close icons are too large and offset.

Attempted fixes: I have tried rebooting, installing all Windows Updates, updating NVIDIA GeForce drivers, and running CCleaner. The scant Google results I could find suggested installing StartIsBack+, but that did not resolve the issue. Uninstalling StartIsBack+ did not resolve this issue either.

Recent changes: Repair install of the OS. I did an in-place "upgrade" installation of Windows 8.1 from a USB flash drive created using the official Media Creation tool.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

System specs:
ASRock H97M Pro motherboard
Intel Core i5 4590
16 GB RAM
Zotac-brand GeForce GTX 760
750W Corsair RM750 power supply
1TB Samsung 840 EVO

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I'm having the same issue while rebuilding a laptop for a user. Reissuing a laptop to another user, did a factory restore. This is a standard Dell XPS 13 with 8.1 Pro.
I'm seeing the same thing coming up today in a number of forums, as well as Reddit as well.
I have to wonder if it's somehow related to the Windows 10 rollout?

metavisual fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 30, 2015

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Interesting thought. My computer was reserved for the upgrade, and it did appear in Windows Update. I hid the update to stop it from installing before I'm ready. Then I did the repair install.

Some more googling has me thinking that maybe the theme data may be corrupted somehow. I'm gonna see if I can do something about that when I get home tonight.

Edit: Even more googling suggests that you're right about this somehow having something to do with Windows 10 rolling out yesterday. Maybe something goes weird when downloading updates during any install of Windows 8.1, clean or upgrade.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 31, 2015

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Other brave souls resolved this issue by disconnecting all Internet connections and running a clean install. I assume this will work with a repair install as well. Here's a thread talking about it: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/69359-context-menu-taskbar-looking-weird.html

This lends a lot of credence to the theory that it's something to do with Win10's rollout. I'll give this a try sometime soon.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Final update: archtop on EightForums had the solution: uninstalling KB3072318 and restarting. This resolved the problem for me.

After rebooting, I went back to Windows Update to reinstall this update just to see what would happen, but instead it only gave me KB3035527, which I installed and then restarted my computer. The problem did not recur. I checked for updates again, but KB3072318 did not reappear. I remembered that I had hidden the Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro update, so I unhid that and checked again for updates, but still no KB3072318. Oh well. It's not a particularly critical update anyway, plus the weird problem is resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Yup, same here. Just uninstalled that update (KB3072318) for my user and it fixed the problem.

Thanks!

• Locked thread