Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who are you?
Ave, I'm Infinitum and I've always wanted to wet my beak on a LP. And for a first time outing I've decided to do a completely and utterly blind LP of the King of Dragon Pass, with your generous aid of course. I'm not a total idiot however and have played through the tutorial to at least get a hang of the base mechanics, but other than that I have absolutely no prior knowledge of this game other than hearing ducks are not to be hosed with.

So we are totally going to go gently caress with some ducks.

What's all this then?
Cheers to Haifisch for letting me steal her previous OP!

quote:

King of Dragon Pass(KODP) is a PC/iOS simulation/choose your own adventure/generally genre-defying game originally released in 1999. The main goal is to lead your ragtag clan of cow-obsessed magical vikings to become king of a tribe, and then king of the entire pass. The bread and butter of the game are its random events; the choices you make in response to them can have far-reaching effects years down the line. In addition, very few events have clearly right and wrong choices; it's more about tradeoffs than anything else. Even the same choice can turn out differently depending on how your clan is set up & how the RNG feels about you that day. KODP boasts incredible artwork and a great soundtrack that's available for free(I highly recommend that you give it a listen).

There have been three previous LPs of KODP, two by Haifisch and one by Mystic Mongol. This doesn't make this LP redundant; most of the fun of KODP is that each game can turn out radically differently depending on the decisions you make & the events you have to deal with(even the two past LPs were almost completely different stories!). Some events are practically guaranteed to happen, but there are enough events that even people who've been playing the game for years can be surprised with a new one. There's also the Fun factor of goons voting for things most people wouldn't choose in their own playthroughs & weaving their own narratives about the nobles.
Mystic Mongol's LP from 2009
Haifisch's LP from 2012
Haifisch's LP from 2013

KODP has just been released anew on Steam, and while chatting about it in #Steamgoons I was interested enough to pick it up and here we are. I have never played it, but have often heard of it in passing while discussing similar games. Hopefully this LP will be enough of a litmus test to interest you in buying a copy for yourself!

How's this LP gonna work?
We'll be following the same format as Haifisch's previous LP. You will vote on events, goals, and the general direction of our clan. I'll take care of all the micromanaging, but may potentially ask for help to time to time when the need arises. Especially in the beginning when I have no goddamn idea where to put crap because I am a dumb dumbo. As this is a community LP, wherein you lads are conducting this trainwreck in motion, this will help give me some experience in running any future LPs I decide to run as well.

When will updates happen?
Frequently! Because I am an unemployed bum at the moment, who is working on getting his poo poo back together, I've got plenty of free time up my sleeve. This works well in your favour dear users, so expect maybe 1-2 updates per day at the very least (Moreso at the beginning as we are forming our clan)

Spoilers?
Please don't post them! However as this is a blind run please feel free to interject with any lore that might be useful to the voting process, any time I've forgotten to sacrifice a goat to the right god, or anything else that might be interesting for us to learn about!

When will this end?
When we all die horribly on the first day! More accurately we will probably die to doing something stupid at some point, so I reserve the right to at least one do over if it's early on.

Lets Scrooge McDuck our way to the top fellas!

World info here shortly

Alliances
Boskovi
Jenstali

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Updates :siren:

Our Current Clan Ring

Clan Formation
- Part 1 - We got pissed!
- Part 2 - We're known for our prestigious bone
- Part 3 - The Rello's came over for a chinwag
- Part 4 - Donald Duck is a lovely character anyway
- Part 5 - Found the ying to our yang
- Part 6 - Woke up and decided to grab a burger from Macca's
- Part 7 - Saints cost us in the tipping comp at work. gently caress the Dragons!
- Part 8 - Bought some XL trackydacks. To grow into.

Year 1329 - The Dawning of a New Age
- Clan naming
- Point assignment
- Clan Overview

Year 1330
- A marriage proposal, A wedding feast, Lets get down to business, To mend.. our bunnnns, Tell her she's dreamin', Secret Wars, Public Enemy #1 This seems normal, no wait..

Year 1331
- Everything went better than expected, Ohhh yeaaaaahhhhh, Who. Run. Bartertown?, Which idiot put me in charge of food again?, The neighbours are revolting, Mistakes were made, Dear Journal, Nobody understands me, I'm selling these fine leather jackets, Wait, didn't we already have one of those?.., D-D-D-Duck Tales! WooOOoo!!, Rallying Cry of the Duckberg Slayer

Year 1332
- Hark, a Vagrant!, Sticks and stones, The post in which we murder ducks and see a rainbow, The post in which it is made adequately clear why you should not gently caress with the ducks

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 5, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And by dangerous I obviously mean lets fill out the particulars.

Clan formation is a series of questions. I'll try and pace them out at around 2-3 hour intervals to get the voting over with quickly.

There once was a time when gods and people walked the Earth together. Your clan traces its ancestry back to those times.

Your clan history begins when you joined the forces of the storm god Orlanth. Back then, Orlanth was simply on of many upstar, rebellious gods bent upon conquest of the world. Orlanth's unique contributions at that time were personal honor, and a close kinship to the other deities who seemed to be on the winning side.

After many tribulations, adventures and discoveries Orlanth proved himself worthy of marrying Ernalda, the Earth Mother. The two of them created the Marriage Ring, and established great harmony in the world through this sacred bond. Our clan took part in the wedding ceremony. Most clans either whooped with Orlanth or learned a secret from Ernalda. A few clans stood with Elmal, God of Horses and the Sun, as an honour guard.

How did we prepare for the great marriage?

- Our men and women donned gleaming armour and stood guard with Elmal to protect the celebrants from Orlanth's many enemies.
- Our men whooped with Orlanth and drank the Eight Known Drinks, so that their heads would hurt during the ceremony.
- Our women withdrew with Ernalda and learned a List of Names, which they promised not to repeat to the men.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 30, 2015

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Our men whooped with Orlanth and drank the Eight Known Drinks, so that their heads would hurt during the ceremony. Because drinking solves all problems.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

- Our men whooped with Orlanth and drank the Eight Known Drinks, so that their heads would hurt during the ceremony.

Drinking and partying like crazy viking people is the only true route. I vote this.

Also, only 'Eight Known Drinks'? What a boring party.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
We whooped with Orlanth.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I like the option of having vinga queens.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

This is the android version ported to Steam (version 1.7 or something?), without the additional events from the more updated iOS version (2.3?). I never seem to be able to get much clear information on the differences between the various versions, and the main dev doesn't seem to know much aside from the iOS version.

- Our men and women donned gleaming armour and stood guard with Elmal to protect the celebrants from Orlanth's many enemies.

Because standing around is real productive.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
While I have a soft spot for Ernaldan clans, let's do this a bit more traditionally.

Our chief is going to have a dick. Unless she's a Vingan. Then she'll only have a metaphorical and cultural dick.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

This is the android version ported to Steam (version 1.7 or something?), without the additional events from the more updated iOS version (2.3?). I never seem to be able to get much clear information on the differences between the various versions, and the main dev doesn't seem to know much aside from the iOS version.

Yeah the folder structure for the game is straight up iOS with all the icons and what-not. Cool thing is that means all the art assets are available for easy upload.

There are 443 images in the scenes folder if that means anything to you.

EDIT: Ingame version number is 2.2.1

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 30, 2015

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Pimpmust posted:

From what I gather, the android and iOS are the same, gameplay wise. The interfaces are slightly different and android is behind on some events. I think that's about it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
gently caress yeah KODP. I love KoDP.

Because the one in the LP archives I read a few months ago was already drinking the drinks. Mix it up a bit.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 30, 2015

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Let's go Orlanth cause I ain't done that in a while.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have never played this before so I'm excited to see what happens!

I vote you whoop with Orlanth. Drink all the drinks!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
- Our women withdrew with Ernalda and learned a List of Names, which they promised not to repeat to the men.

As a man, I can say with confidence that men are really dumb and don't deserve to learn the Names. They are too busy whooping and drinking and standing around.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Infinitum posted:

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Go with Olanth

I have to warn you, if you mess with any one slider, and then change screen, it counts as your turn, so be careful about that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Olanth

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Going with the classic, get Vinga queens.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Considering I'm drinking beer at the moment Our men whooped with Orlanth and drank the Eight Known Drinks, so that their heads would hurt during the ceremony only seems appropriate.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I've played this game a lot and also read all the KoDP LPs that came before this.

Still going to follow this one.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Just a nitpick, I'm pretty sure Haifisch is a woman, so you might want to fix that little bit at the top of your OP :v:

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Our men and women donned gleaming armour and stood guard with Elmal to protect the celebrants from Orlanth's many enemies.

Orlanth is a pretty safe choice, but I'm curious to see how an Elmal run will go.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Get krunk with Orlanth

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

With the other nearest vote being 3, I think it's pretty clear alcoholism has won the day and is now one of our clans many fine founding traditions.

quote:

Our men whooped with Orlanth and drank the Eight Known Drinks, so that their heads would hurt during the ceremony

I'm just just so goddamn proud right now :australia:

Orlanth's struggle to remake the world was just beginning, and many other gods joined him in it. Orlanth fought Yelm the Bright Emperor, and undertook many wars of conquest. Other, more peaceful deeds, were just as important.

What was our earliest Famous Event?

- The Healing of Orlanth, when the merciful goddess Chalana Arroy joined Orlanth's tribe.
- The Hundred-Day Hunt, when Orlanth and his son Odayla tracked the Sky Bear.
- Jested's Settlement, where Orlanth and Issaries the Talking God outwitted foreign deities in a difficult negotiation.
- The Procession of the Animals, where Uralda the Cow Mother led the sacred herds into Orlanth's stead
- When Barntar, son of Orlanth and Ernalda, learned of harnessing oxen to plow
- When Lhankor Mhy, the Knowing God, learned how to use the marking bone, which could mark signs of power upon anything
- When Pella, the pottery goddess, made the first pot to store grain in.
- When Roitina, lady of dance, first did the Clan-making Dance.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
When Lhankor Mhy, the Knowing God, learned how to use Wikipedia, which could mark signs of goon upon anything

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

When Roitina, lady of dance, first did the Clan-making Dance.

We got krunk, now it's time to get on the dancefloor.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
- The First Pot

Where else would we store our drinks?

iGestalt posted:

Also, only 'Eight Known Drinks'? What a boring party.

I dunno, we're talking beer, wine, brandy, mead, whiskey, cider. That's six, I'm not sure what the other two known drinks would be.

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 30, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
When Roitina, lady of dance, first did the Clan-making Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCLY0Rlx6Q

Dakona
May 3, 2014
When Lhankor Mhy, the Knowing God, learned how to use the marking bone, which could mark signs of power upon anything

They drank, then the next morning attended their classes with a pounding hangover.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jested's Settlement, where Orlanth and Issaries the Talking God outwitted foreign deities in a difficult negotiation

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
There are only two important things in KoDP, and they are Ducks and Tricksters.

Lhankor Mhy

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When Lhankor Mhy taught us the power of the pencil! :awesome:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
- The Healing of Orlanth, when the merciful goddess Chalana Arroy joined Orlanth's tribe.

And then, in the morning after the wedding, the White Lady, in all of her compassion and mercy, came to the site and actually healed Orlanth's massive hangover headache.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Healing

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Lhankor Mhy.

And, as Tarezax pointed out, Haifish is a 'her'.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The Hundred-Day Hunt, when Orlanth and his son Odayla tracked the Sky Bear.

Sky bears are cool

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Gotta get in the spirit of things and determine the gender of Haifish through some sort of heroquest.

- Jested's Settlement, where Orlanth and Issaries the Talking God outwitted foreign deities in a difficult negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Lhankor Mhy nerded out with us.

• Locked thread