Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They sure were asking for it pretty hard.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...73c2_story.html

quote:

Three University of Virginia graduates and members of a fraternity who were portrayed in a debunked account of a gang rape in a retracted Rolling Stone magazine story filed a lawsuit against the publication and the article’s author, court records show.

The three men, George Elias IV, Stephen Hadford and Ross Fowler, filed suit Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York. They are also suing Rolling Stone’s publisher, Wenner Media.

A lawyer for the men said they suffered “vicious and hurtful attacks” because of inaccuracies in the November 2014 article, which was written by journalist Sabrina Rubin Erdely.

Also Wednesday, The New York Times reported that Will Dana, Rolling Stone’s managing editor, will be leaving the magazine next month. Dana said in a statement to The Times that after 19 years at Rolling Stone, “I have decided that it is time to move on.”

When asked whether Dana’s departure was linked to the retracted story, a spokeswoman for the magazine’s publisher, Jann Wenner, said that “many factors go into a decision like this,” according to the report.

The Charlottesville Police Department has said it found no evidence to back the claims of the woman identified in the story only as “Jackie,” who said she was raped in 2012 by seven men at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house.

A U.Va. associate dean sued Rolling Stone magazine for more than $7.5 million in May, saying a debunked and retracted account of an alleged gang rape on campus cast her as the “chief villain.”

A report published by the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism earlier this year said Rolling Stone failed at virtually every step of the process, from the reporting by Erdely to an editing process that included high-ranking staffers.

No one at Rolling Stone was fired as a result of the article, titled “A Rape on Campus.” Dana posted an apology on the publication’s website, and Erdely also apologized in a statement.

Look, if you're going to walk around with poorly sourced stories, failed any attempt to verify your information, and generally skip all steps of the journalistic process what do you think will happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Rape my hole at Burning Man

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

rolling stone has been a joke since the late 80s

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jann Wenner is the piece of poo poo who kept musicians like KISS out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for years because he wasn't a fan

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best part was the WWE style descriptions of her being slammed through a glass table and then hosed on the broken glass

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

EugeneJ posted:

Jann Wenner is the piece of poo poo who kept musicians like KISS out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for years because he wasn't a fan

Yeah but KISS sucks so...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

loving :laffo: if you think the rock n roll hall of fame is worth anything

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like how they apologized to every one except the people they hurt.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

counterpoint, KISS is terrible

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

loving :laffo: if you think the rock n roll hall of fame is worth anything

LOL if you don't think having your name on a plaque in Cleveland is worth anything. What the gently caress do you think the colonists fought the British for?

Or the Beach Boys fought the British Invasion of the 60s come to think of it.

Brittania Go Home

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this is a sad situation all around. i feel especially bad for the young men who had no other option but to attend the university of virgins.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Rolling Stone got really bad once they turned in to "The Monthly Rape Accusation", OP

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
listen and believe

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
rape is bad, imo

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

City of Tampa posted:

listen and believe

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
[MATT TAIBIBI]

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
The rock hall's fun and educational imo

but there's pretty much no way to present it that isn't hilariously capitalistic and counter to loving everything about rock.

I kinda wish it'd been elitist and had like five inductees with four of them being ultra obscure, but nah if you've heard of a group and it's 25 yrs old it's in.

Except KISS I guess and gently caress them.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hope they go out of business so I don't have to read about what a genius Kim Kardashian's buttcheek is

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

quote:

“many factors go into a decision like this,”

but yes

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

City of Tampa posted:

listen and believe

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

symbolic posted:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

symbolic posted:

Yup, burn it to the ground.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

symbolic posted:

matt taibibi was good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

if jann wenner isn't dead yet he might as well be

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Black Baby Goku posted:

The best part was the WWE style descriptions of her being slammed through a glass table and then hosed on the broken glass

Good lord

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

but so many rapes go unreported, so innocent people being accused of rape is a good thing

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
even if that particular rape didn't happen, symbolically it did.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
really no one should be raped, especially mick jagger

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
rape is definitely bad

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

rape is definitely bad

Epic THISERY!!!

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
If it wasn't this, those bros probably did something like it at some point. They might be :airquote: innocent :airquote: but that really was just water trying to find its own level

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Gatekeeper posted:

rape is definitely bad
So brave

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Why isn't the lying "victim" in any trouble ? Do we even know her real name ?

I know names are withed in instances of real assault, but what about made up ones ?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Gatekeeper posted:

rape is definitely bad

It's not an easy stance but someone had to say it, thank you

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

gently caress my black rear end, OP

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Miltank posted:

even if that particular rape didn't happen, symbolically it did.

Something dozens of new wave feminists said with a straight face when the truth came out.

E1M1 posted:

If it wasn't this, those bros probably did something like it at some point. They might be :airquote: innocent :airquote: but that really was just water trying to find its own level

It's highly likely that at least one member of the fraternity hosed a girl too drunk to consent and then badgered her the next day convincing her she wanted it. But that's not a news story, its just business as usual.

Can't remember, didn't like 5 other girls at UVA get interviewed about their rapes and Erdely asked them "That's nice, know anyone who was gangraped?"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 30, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Why is she dressed like a sailor.

She was never in the military.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Why isn't the lying "victim" in any trouble ? Do we even know her real name ?

I know names are withed in instances of real assault, but what about made up ones ?

She didn't really do anything illegal. I mean she might be taken to civil court but criminally nothing she did was wrong. and if you're going to go to civil court it's much better to take on the corporation that will pay you millions in what is a clearly open and shut case.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

innocent until proven guilty is just a tool of rape culture, the cowardly screen that rapists like these bros stand behind. disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Black Baby Goku posted:

Yeah that bit was great. It was really gratuitous and gory about it too, emphasising how they raped her for hours on this pile of broken glass after tricking her up into the room and surrounding her and reading a bunch of amateur-dramatic-club level threats and a whole bunch of other stuff that any competent editor would look at and think, "This reads like a frustrated teen's rape-fic. I should probably check whether there's any evidence that any of this happened."

• Locked thread