Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

City of Tampa posted:

I thought that I had a pretty fat 401k, but then someone pointed out that even $100k in a 401k account is only going to be like $400 a month in income when you retire.

so basically unless you have like a million dollars saved in a 401k, you're probably going to be eating catfood or prostituting yourself in your old age.

and that's assuming that your 401k money isn't stolen by a bank or lost in another stock market collapse (it will be).

Well, yeah, if you retire with only 100k you're kinda hosed. My mom showed me her 403b and it had like 24,000 bucks in it, and she seemed happy that she had "that extra money"

Honestly, if you start saving a little bit when you're young and continue to contribute, a million bucks shouldn't be that hard to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread