Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i just gis'd the covers and lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
p sure she gets cut in two and then both half morph back into people but ones evil lmao

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

didn't they send crippled kids to their deaths near the end?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Moldy Taxes posted:

Yeah, they recruited a dozen crippled kids and turned them into animorphs, because they knew the Yeerks wouldn't use crippled bodies. At the end they sent them on a diversion so they could sneak into the Yeerk mothership, and all the crippled kids were killed.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Moldy Taxes posted:

Yup. Jake turns into a total cold-blooded 'ends justify the means' type, makes a bunch of kids with disabilities into animorph soldiers (because the Yeerks won't possess them) and then they end up in a microwave tunnel and get cooked to death, IIRC. He also vents something like 100,000 Yeerks (who are defenseless at that point because they're just brainslugs) into space, killing them all. So the series ends with Jake being horribly hosed up mentally, Rachel's dead, Tobias goes 'gently caress y'all I'm out' and loses his humanity forever, Cassie breaks up with Jake and does charity work, Marco is a celebrity who tries to hide the fact that he's got horrible PTSD, and Ax turns into some sort of evil alien king, I think?

The other animorph, David, tries to sell them out to the Yeerks to save his parents, and so they trap him as a rat forever and drop him off on some lovely island in the middle of the ocean to live out the rest of his life. I remember that it talked about how people sailing by the island afterwards would hear psychotic screaming in their heads.

That series was dark as poo poo.

(But for real, why didn't they just let Tobias touch the morphing cube, get stuck back in human form, and then touch the morphing cube again to get his morphing powers back?)

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Sonofsilversign posted:

hey at 14 i started smoking weed and became the pinnacle of cool i am to this day :c00lbutt:

peaked at 14. shameful

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pinball posted:

Yup. Jake turns into a total cold-blooded 'ends justify the means' type, makes a bunch of kids with disabilities into animorph soldiers (because the Yeerks won't possess them) and then they end up in a microwave tunnel and get cooked to death, IIRC. He also vents something like 100,000 Yeerks (who are defenseless at that point because they're just brainslugs) into space, killing them all. So the series ends with Jake being horribly hosed up mentally, Rachel's dead, Tobias goes 'gently caress y'all I'm out' and loses his humanity forever, Cassie breaks up with Jake and does charity work, Marco is a celebrity who tries to hide the fact that he's got horrible PTSD, and Ax turns into some sort of evil alien king, I think?

The other animorph, David, tries to sell them out to the Yeerks to save his parents, and so they trap him as a rat forever and drop him off on some lovely island in the middle of the ocean to live out the rest of his life. I remember that it talked about how people sailing by the island afterwards would hear psychotic screaming in their heads.

(But for real, why didn't they just let Tobias touch the morphing cube, get stuck back in human form, and then touch the morphing cube again to get his morphing powers back?)

You could only use the cube one. Getting morphing powers back in hawk form was a one-time exception (from the ellimist, I think?) and if he got stuck in human form he couldn't fight anymore.

Of course he could get stuck in an older human form and then just buy a gun to fight with but whatever.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jake did nothing wrong :colbert: :hitler:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ax flipping the gently caress out over m&ms because he'd never eaten anything but hoofgrass until then

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Applegate did a AMA somewhat recently where she revealed most books from 20ish onwards were ghostwritten. Explains a bit.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

loquacius posted:

Sounds kind of like Heroes but vaguely different

I found it, it's called Mindwarp. Doesn't even have a Wikipedia page but it does have some rad 90's as gently caress covers with silver foil effects:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/61016-mindwarp

Doing a deep dig through my own memory I'm pretty sure at the end of the "Jason Bourne Powers" book the kid discovers he was killed at the beginning and replaced by a shapeshifting assassin clone with his personality who is supposed to hunt down the other kids and has been losing a grip on his identity. It was a pretty weird series.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 31, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Apparently like 75% of those books were ghostwritten so that's probably why no one gave a gently caress about it

Its something like the first 23 are her, the last 5-10 are and than a handful of important ones in between. Everything else ghost written

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Area 51 has an andalite toilet

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Its something like the first 23 are her, the last 5-10 are and than a handful of important ones in between. Everything else ghost written

Except for the ending to one because the ghost writer was so ham-handedly shoehorning her vegetarian agenda into it she had to write a new ending where they go to the mall and pound down cheeseburgers.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Except for the ending to one because the ghost writer was so ham-handedly shoehorning her vegetarian agenda into it she had to write a new ending where they go to the mall and pound down cheeseburgers.

I bet that was a Cassie book too

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:five:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tender Bender posted:

I found it, it's called Mindwarp. Doesn't even have a Wikipedia page but it does have some rad 90's as gently caress covers with silver foil effects:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/61016-mindwarp

Doing a deep dig through my own memory I'm pretty sure at the end of the "Jason Bourne Powers" book the kid discovers he was killed at the beginning and replaced by a shapeshifting assassin clone with his personality who is supposed to hunt down the other kids and has been losing a grip on his identity. It was a pretty weird series.

I read a handful of these too! I remember he gets transported to a mysterious wasteland and has to outfight this crazy dude in a hockey mask and it's his dad! Also the fat Latino kid could understand a fax machine by listening to its beeps.

So what happens to Marco's Mom as Visser 3? Is that ever resolved?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

fuckin lol

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

this one hit the spot pretty good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We leave Jeopardy on the big screen over the bar at work and tonight like 4 seconds ago "Animorphs" was the answer to a question about animals in literature and I screamed the answer out and all 8 people in the restaurant were probably super impressed.

Thanks for being here, thread.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I stopped reading them around book 30 but they were rad as hell

the hork-bajir chronicles were loving awesome. I really liked the whole canyon-world idea, like the surface of the world is like mars with a thin atmosphere and stuff but the planet is covered in cracks from an asteroid impact and in those cracks the atmosphere is thick enough for life. and the hork-bajir with all their terrifying blade arms and poo poo were just peaceful goofs eating tree bark.

and there was some other alien race that lived at the bottoms of the canyons that had engineered them. they had made themselves immune to yeerks by weakening a blood vessel in their brains, so if they ever got infested it would burst and they'd die. don't remember that part as well.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I read a handful of these too! I remember he gets transported to a mysterious wasteland and has to outfight this crazy dude in a hockey mask and it's his dad! Also the fat Latino kid could understand a fax machine by listening to its beeps.

So what happens to Marco's Mom as Visser 3? Is that ever resolved?

think she was visser 1 or 2. she was like the first yeerk on earth iirc. they save her but im pretty sure she was voluntarily being infested anyway?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
read one of those books and saw some of the episodes

those mind control slugs man

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How is it there have been multiple animorphs threads but none for goosebumps? I would start but I remember literally nothing about those 50+ books I read

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
funny blog that reviews goosebumps. theyre real bad like way worse than you remember

http://www.bloggerbeware.com

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Also this is top notch

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

facebook jihad posted:

How is it there have been multiple animorphs threads but none for goosebumps? I would start but I remember literally nothing about those 50+ books I read

gently caress GOOSEBUMPS

THERE I SAID IT

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Cassie was a dumb crybaby whose biggest, baddest battle form was a stupid loving wolf

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

facebook jihad posted:

:justpost:

Seriously this is new GBS. Post a thread. OP is "remember goosebumps? how bout that poo poo. Like the one where the girl put on the mask and couldn't take it off :catdrugs:". Done.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pinball posted:

I never read the books to the end of the series, but that sounds about right. I still remember reading the book where they trap the traitor kid as a mouse on the island, that definitely happened.

IIRC they did give Tobias the power to morph again but since he was suck as a hawk that became his base form. He could morph into a human, but idon't remember if it was some blend like the human form Ax used or his original human form, somehow. Did the Ellimist give his original form back or something?

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Zeno-25 posted:

IIRC they did give Tobias the power to morph again but since he was suck as a hawk that became his base form. He could morph into a human, but idon't remember if it was some blend like the human form Ax used or his original human form, somehow. Did the Ellimist give his original form back or something?

The Ellimist gave Tobias the power to morph again, and then took Tobias back in time to meet himself and reabsorb his human DNA.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Zeno-25 posted:

I never read the books to the end of the series, but that sounds about right. I still remember reading the book where they trap the traitor kid as a mouse on the island, that definitely happened.

he took him back in time so he could get his original form i think ellimist liked him cause he was the son of his favorite andalite

lol beaten on animorphs trivia

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Here because of Jeopardy.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
as much as i loved the books i feel like it probably is responsible for a big part of the furry problem

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
If you're nostalgic for bad transformation effects, might i suggest the tv show face off?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i read goosebumps as a kid

I remember vague storylines kind of. some camera killing the kid's family or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I remember one book that was a kid at summer camp and a werewolf was attacking, but no one believed him, so he had to deafeat the monster himself, and at the end it turned out the whole thing was a test set up by his parents to see if he could handle going on a mission to an alien planet with them.

And that alien planet was Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

• Locked thread