Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:siren:SPOILER POLICY:siren:
THIS SHOW AIRS IN CANADA BEFORE THE U.S. ONCE IT HAS AIRED IN CANADA IT IS FAIR GAME FOR SPOILERS. THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING.

Starts on Friday Sept 4th in Canada and Sept 11th on SyFy for the US

Welcome boys and girls, children of all ages! Or one child of multiple ages! More than a year after season 3 ended the 4th and final season of Continuum is upon us. If you're just joining us, welcome! Feel lucky that you didn't have to endure the months of uncertainty wondering whether or not this day would come. Seriously, we almost lost our minds. However the side of good prevailed and we were able to find a timeline where Continuum gets a proper ending. Seasons 1 through 3 are up on Netflix if you need to get started or just want to run through it again before the last ride.

"So," you ask "what is this show as a first time viewer? Why should I care?" Simply put (very simply) Continuum is what happens Doc Brown crashes a DeLorean into a Law and Order set. Oh and for some reason everyone on the set is taking an AP Civics class. Don't ask why, just go with it. If you like time travel then strap in because this show is an absolute mind-gently caress. You will go completely nuts trying to sort out just exactly is at play in this series. The rules for time travel were established before the first episode was produced so that element of the show has remained consistent for the entire run.

This show has also been described as "too smart for it's own good" and I tend to agree with that. Continuum takes all that is wrong with the corporate world and shoves it directly in your face (Sonmanto anyone?) and does so in a way that is both entertaining and profoundly uncomfortable. You may be surprised to find that this time traveling cop show is causing you to seriously consider some very real things going on in our world.

But lets get down to business. Continuum is about a cop from the year 2077 named Kiera Cameron. Unlike most Canadian shows which take place anywhere BUT Canada, Continuum is set in Vancouver where it is filmed. Vancouver, and indeed the world of 2077 bears little resemblance to the world you and I inhabit. The scary part is that the gap between the world of Continuum and our own is alarmingly small. The world governments have collapsed leading the largest corporations in the world to bail out the governments eventually leading to the creation of a Corporate Congress. Your value as a person is measured in debt and productivity. When you're born the medical costs of your birth are added to your life debt. The world of Continuum explores the implications of a world that values money over anything else. This is a minor spoiler but Keira was even shown being reprimanded for saving several children from a burning building instead of saving several executives because the value of the executives was higher due to their education and projected output. And the fun really begins when Kiera is sent back to 2012 during the execution of a group of terrorists known as Liber8. Yes they use 8 in the name, the worst kind of terrorist.

I don't want to spoil anything for newcomers so if you haven't seen the show yet stop reading now.

-----SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT-----

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Season 4 Promo: http://tvline.com/2015/07/30/continuum-final-season-trailer/

Main cast ripped off from Wikipedia:

Rachel Nichols as City Protective Services (CPS) Protector Kiera Cameron, a law enforcement agent from 2077-era Vancouver who was sent back into the past with the members of Liber8 during their escape attempt at their execution. Cut off from her time period, she joins the Vancouver Police Department to pursue Liber8 and thwart their plans to alter the timeline using her new position in the police department and technology she brought with her. Traveled back in time 1 week following the events of the season 2 finale to find her own corpse in the SadTech lab. Helped to destroy the Freelancer cell.
Last seen being unprepared for a hotdrop from the future.

Victor Webster as VPD Detective Carlos Fonnegra, Kiera's partner with the present-day police; he learns the truth about her time-traveler status in the second season episode "Second Truths". Throughout the course of the second season, Fonnegra becomes disillusioned with the VPD's changing police procedures and is seen shaking hands with and joining Julian (Theseus) at the conclusion of the episode "Second Time" with colleague Betty Robertson. After learning that his Keira had been killed he took to the bottle. His drinking buddy is Corpse-Kiera.
Last seen failing to kidnap Landlord Alec

Erik Knudsen as the young Alec Sadler. As a teenager, before he went on to found SadTech (:smith:), Alec is reclusive and prefers to spend time in his computer lab; there, he is able to communicate with Kiera through her cybernetic implants, which he discovers to be based on his own inventions. The events of season 2 created a new timeline with duplicates of Alec and Keira. The Alec that traveled back a week is called Squatter Alec with Alec of the new timeline being called Landlord Alec. Squatter Alec spent much of season 3 in a Freelancer prison that is suspiciously missing a toilet.
Landlord Alec last seen bleeding out. Squatter Alec last seen getting owned by Kellog

Stephen Lobo as Matthew Kellog, a former member of Liber8. Kellog deserts from the group in Season One and hopes to build a new and wealthy life for himself in the past using his knowledge of the future. Kellog was recruited by the resurrected Curtis Chen to assist with the plans of "The Traveler" but that is really all we know about that.
Last seen with the :smug: to end all :smug:s

Roger Cross as Travis Verta, a member of Liber8 and super-soldier, Kagame's right-hand man and former lover of Sonya Valentine. Since Kagame's death, he has been opposed to Valentine, Kagame's designated successor, seeking more violent methods and recruiting criminals into his version of Liber8. Travis appeared to die after falling to his death in "Second Time." The season 2 ending reset quite a few things including Travis' life.
Last seen setting up shop in the destroyed Freelancer base.

Lexa Doig as Sonya Valentine, a member of Liber8 and former lover of Travis Verta who is designated Kagame's official successor as leader after his death, and now seeking to reform the world through ideas rather than violence, and recruiting middle and working class people into her version of Liber8.
Kept on with the mission even after it had been totally dismantled. Last seen yelling ALLAH ACKBAR.

Luvia Petersen as Jasmine Garza, a soldier and member of Liber8. Garza is physically strong, agile and lethal, but mentally damaged from corporate imprisonment. She sided with Travis during the Liber8 civil war, and claimed to become Travis's current lover. Garza also has a connection with elderly Alec: apparently she intended to serve as his "insurance policy" if his younger self seems to deviate from his plans, although as with everyone else, she doesn't know if the purpose is to change Alec's path or ensure it.
Last seen with Travis at the Freelancer base.

Jennifer Spence as Vancouver Police Department Detective Betty Robertson, a colleague of Det. Fonnegra, who generally handles the computer side of their cases; recent evidence has suggested that she has begun to sympathize with Liber8's motives to the point of providing them with information.
Shot and killed.

Brian Markinson as VPD Inspector Dillon, Carlos and Betty's superior officer; he respects Kiera's insights despite the mysteries of her past. The red tape and politics of police work begins to set him down a dark path that alienates Carlos and even surprises Kiera.
Last seen standing way too close to Lexa Doig. Not officially confirmed but he isn't dead.

Magda Apanowicz as Emily/Mia Hartwell, Alec's girlfriend. It is revealed in the second season episode "Second Degree" that she is working for Escher. She was killed by the Freelancers in pursuit of the time travel device in "Second Last". In the episode "Second Time", it is revealed that Alec likely plans to stop her death when he says "I have to save her" before activating the time travel device with an unknown destination. While cute, Emily is a stone cold baddass. She would snap someones neck without a second thought. Also performed the emergency brain surgery on Escher.
Last seen being intentionally caught by police for unknown reasons.

Curtis Chen as Terry Chen Chen might have one of the most interesting and unusual stories in a show full of interesting stories. Chen was initially part of the group sent back but was killed in the first of second episode of Season 1. He only had one other appearance before his return, but it turned out to be an important character hint. Fast forward to the end of season 2 and Chen reappears as a Freelancer. During the flashback he was in during season 2 shows Chen having a conversation with someone then Chen puts his hand on someones shoulder. It was incredibly subtle but you could see the little dots in between his fingers that the Freelancers use as authentication codes. Chen was a Freelancer the entire time. He is resurrected by The Traveler but Chen is incredibly distraught and asks if being revived was "a violation." The other Freelancer that was present seemed to acknowledge that what they did to bring Chen back was very hosed up.

The Traveler played by :iiam: We know very little about the traveler except that he is able to revive the dead. He has tech built into his body and dreads. Most speculate that he is the person sent back 1000 years to start the Freelancer group though this has not been confirmed. It is unclear why he was locked away in Freelancer jail. So far we've only seen his dreadlocks and the tech glowing in his chest. He spoke the last words of season 3: "It has begun"

Keira's Mole was a casualty of war and confirmed KIA between season 1 and 2.

Recurring Cast:

William B. Davis as the elderly Alec Sadler in 2077. In the future, Alec founded SadTech in the later twenty-first century. He has risen to head one of the largest and most powerful corporations in the world, as its owner and CEO, his influence and technology dominate the North American Union. He was also a founding father of the Global Corporate Congress, and is currently Chairman of Superior Council. Alec is responsible for the presence of both Kiera and Liber8 in 2012; in season 2 it is suggested that he regrets having founded the corporate future world, due to all that has been lost to create it, and has set a plan in motion, with Kiera at the center, to change it, or perhaps ensure it. Has been mostly absent from season 3.

Richard Harmon as Julian Randol, Alec's step-brother in 2012. Later in his life, he will be known as Theseus, the founder of Liber8 and mentor to Edouard Kagame.
Last seen being shoved into a closet after looking into a coverup.

Hugh Dillon as Mr. Escher/Marc Sadler, ex-freelancer, Alec's father, and a shadowy figure with powerful connections, who appears to know something about Liber8 and Kiera's true origin. He has protected Kiera and seeks to form an alliance with her, however his true motives are as yet unclear. In "Second Time", he revealed himself to be Alec's father.
Last seen undergoing unexpected brain surgery.

Ian Tracey as Jason Sadler, an alleged former employee of the same prison where Liber8 escaped from, thrown back in time to 1992, rather than 2012. His sanity isn't quite intact from his prolonged time alone; he has hinted that he has learned that there are other time travelers, capable of going back and forth through time, that are present in their current era, known as "Freelancers", but considering his mental state this information is of questionable accuracy. In the third episode of the second season, "Second Thoughts", it is hinted that he is Marc Sadler. It is revealed in "Second Time" that he is Alec's son in 2077 instead and that he played a major role in sending Liber8 back in time.
Last seen being Jason.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 31, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

New characters

Ryan Robbins as Brad Tonkin, a soldier from the timeline created by Alec's time jump at the end of season 2. He arrived from the year 2035 where the governments still failed but the major corporations fell apart as well creating a complete hellscape even worse than the future Kiera comes from. He was initially unable to remember anything about him but with a little bit of time and a memory recall drug everything comes back and he remembers that it was in fact him that killed Landlord Keira found in the first episode. His mission coming from 2035 was to wipe out all the Freelancers and time travelers.

In addition, there are 6 new cast members. These were the Space Marines that jumped in during the closing seconds of season three.

quote:

Kyra Zagorsky (Helix, Soldiers of the Apocalypse)
Michael Eklund (Bates Motel, Shattered)
Ty Olsson (The 100, Supernatural),
Aleks Paunovic (The 100, Arctic Air)
Lisa Berry (Xlll: The Series, Nikita)
Garfield Wilson (Almost Human, Arrow)

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 31, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am so loving hype for season 4. Future space marines and time travel schenanigans woo!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am so loving hype for season 4. Future space marines and time travel schenanigans woo!

I just want to emptyquote this in every timeline

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I posted in the old thread cause I'm a dumb. I had a crappy day. This has made it less crappy. I want to see them go off the rails. Make everything screwy! Embrace the madness!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

If anyone can find or make a gif of the space marines jumping in, email it to me, I'd like to add it to the OP

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still bitter about the short season but it's pretty awesome that we get closure.

Five weeks.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So good.

Following the end of this, Cinemax needs to create a show with Rachel Nichols et al where they continue to kick a lot of rear end.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mars4523 posted:

So good.

Following the end of this, Cinemax needs to create a show with Rachel Nichols et al where they continue to kick a lot of rear end.

Banshee...through TIME!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Ooh new thread. Can't wait for the conclusion to all this madness.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
OP needs moar Space Marines

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I suppose it is fair to say that most people in this thread will be watching the Canada aired episodes through various "means"?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm flying to canada for the duration... or there aboots.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Michigan is basically Canada, so yeah.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

OP needs moar Space Marines

I tried to make a gif of it but it came out to 30megs. We need some gif ninjas

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Whoever it was that came up with "Picking up where season 5 left off" shoot me a PM or post here I wanna buy you an avatar cert or something. Also 10bux or a cert or whatever bounty for someone who can come up with SpaceMarines.gif

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Holy poo poo I am so excited for S4 I can't stand it :suspense:

I'm halfway through season 1 of my re-watch and this show is so drat good. I'm disappointed that we'll only get 6 episodes but at least they're ending it the way they've always intended. Perhaps in another timeline there are more seasons.

Can someone link to the S4 promo? The current link displays a broken video on my end.

Edit- nevermind, found the video elsewhere

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Both (yes, there are two) promos are here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ryan Robbins just joined the cast of Arrow in a recurring bad guy role.

It's like Six Degrees of Vancouver with these guys.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I KNEW there was a reason I went with the Canada tag over the SciFi one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I KNEW there was a reason I went with the Canada tag over the SciFi one

You should make a chart of Canadian actors and which shows they have appeared in.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ty Olsson was Capt. Kelly in BSG, mainly the miniseries pilot but guest appearing in the show intermittently.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Whoever it was that came up with "Picking up where season 5 left off" shoot me a PM or post here I wanna buy you an avatar cert or something. Also 10bux or a cert or whatever bounty for someone who can come up with SpaceMarines.gif

Thread title was me :)

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

Thread title was me :)

Got an email I can send the cert to?

Rhyno posted:

You should make a chart of Canadian actors and which shows they have appeared in.

Weekend project found

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Weekend project found

If you actually do this it will make my week.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
OP forgot to add that this show has one of the best music scores of all time too!

Anyway, Continuum is possibly the most underrated show ever. There simply is not another sci-fi show with writing as smart as this. That is a fact. It takes a few episodes to find its ground and there is always the occasional less exciting episode - though most are Season 1 and none are season 3. The "bad guys" are smart and actually win most of the time. There are no black and white things in this show, there is grey, black and some weird spectrum not made for human eyes (loving time travel). Every time you think they've figured out what's happening some other thing changes the entire equation.

No character is wasted, even the ones who seem to be one-off redshirts who die in the first episode. Every character has realistic motivations and ideology which only get more complicated as more is revealed around them. No character is a cliche - the ruthless brutal supersoldier is easily one of the smartest characters too and can lay down a badass monologue like any other. Speaking of, this show has the best monologues.

The moment I was hooked.

In the future there will be a lot of bitter nerds writing about why this didn't get ten seasons and a movie once it is rediscovered by the generations to come, a Firefly of its time.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 1, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The best thing about Continuum is that you cannot point to anyone and say 'that's a Good Guy' or 'that's a Bad Guy'. It's a lot like life, in that everyone has their agendas, and they all conflict with each other; but every single one, from at least one perspective (and usually more) is 'right' and/or reasonable. And from another perspective, is in the wrong.

Everybody. Kiera, Alec, Other Alec, Old Alec, Liber8. Hell, Carlos may be the only character in the show who is still 'pure' but he's still basically an accessory to Kiera's agenda.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Carlos spent the last season hanging out with the corpse of his timeline's Kiera, and Carlos of the first two seasons joined up with Julian, so...

And that sentence is the perfect reason why this show is the all-time best sci-fi. Because it's not bad writing at all. Also makes it really hard to explain the plot to friends who should watch it though because it sounds like a really cheesy show.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

OP forgot to add that this show has one of the best music scores of all time too!

Anyway, Continuum is possibly the most underrated show ever. There simply is not another sci-fi show with writing as smart as this. That is a fact. It takes a few episodes to find its ground and there is always the occasional less exciting episode - though most are Season 1 and none are season 3. The "bad guys" are smart and actually win most of the time. There are no black and white things in this show, there is grey, black and some weird spectrum not made for human eyes (loving time travel). Every time you think they've figured out what's happening some other thing changes the entire equation.

No character is wasted, even the ones who seem to be one-off redshirts who die in the first episode. Every character has realistic motivations and ideology which only get more complicated as more is revealed around them. No character is a cliche - the ruthless brutal supersoldier is easily one of the smartest characters too and can lay down a badass monologue like any other. Speaking of, this show has the best monologues.

The moment I was hooked.

In the future there will be a lot of bitter nerds writing about why this didn't get ten seasons and a movie once it is rediscovered by the generations to come, a Firefly of its time.

More or less why I took a dig at Firefly during thread title polling. :v: I've always enjoyed the loving time travel aspect because it levels the playing field. Everyone has an agenda, but only has half of the rulebook, so all of the competing futures end up producing things like Space Marines.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm just so weirded out that goons aren't all over this. Rewatching this for the millionth time. Would any other show have the main character battle someone for three seasons only to go "You were right" at the end of the third season finale? The way this show plays enemies is so much ahead of it's time. It gives us people who are evil beyond anything shown in shows thus far - not something like Walter White or Tony Soprano but people who kill tens of thousands in the blink of an eye, and it makes you sympathize with them. Agree with their goals. See where they're coming from. Even if their methods are horrific beyond the pale, the world where they are from is so much more terrible that you get why they are willing to do anything to prevent it from becoming true. This is AMC/HBO level stuff but because it's sci-fi it just doesn't get there in fame. No other show has ever tried to make you try to understand...I don't know, Hezbollah? Really Liber8 has probably murdered way, way more people.

EDIT: Just so everyone knows why the above scene is awesome (seriously, the whole show is like 55% of Canadians trolling Americans):
http://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/Research-Aids/Ready-Reference/JFK-Quotations/Inaugural-Address.aspx

Also, what is everyone's favorite episode? Mine's Ep. 3.11. "You're done. You're all done."

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 1, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

Also, what is everyone's favorite episode? Mine's Ep. 3.11. "You're done. You're all done."

The one where Carlos roundhouse kicks some guy in the face. :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Carlos Norris.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

Both (yes, there are two) promos are here.

First time seeing those and is that The Traveler?

Oh and Kiera on the bed is totally going to be the ending scene of the show. That part with old Alec saying "you changed the past" was probably something they shouldn't show in a promo.... unless it's there to throw us off.

holy poo poo Dillon!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone else think the fight scenes in this show are super boring and go on way too long? Especially the gun fights.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Anyone else think the fight scenes in this show are super boring and go on way too long? Especially the gun fights.
The gunfights are cool. Yeah, firing a handgun at enemies in cover will indeed result in a lot of ammo used for minimal gain.

The pistol CQC fight with Kiera and Brad vs the Freelancers in the penultimate season 3 episode was all kinds of badass.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mu Zeta posted:

Nope

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Don't have PMs, so mike dot harman at gmail.com

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mars4523 posted:

The gunfights are cool. Yeah, firing a handgun at enemies in cover will indeed result in a lot of ammo used for minimal gain.

The pistol CQC fight with Kiera and Brad vs the Freelancers in the penultimate season 3 episode was all kinds of badass.

Gunfights look like dogshit after watching Strike Back. And the CQC stuff is done better in Nikita or Spartacus. I like the show otherwise but I pretty much skip past the fight scenes. Especially since people rarely die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Look at this guy who doesn't watch Garza.

• Locked thread