Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This episode was amazing and I love how visceral it is whenever Emily brutally beats grown men up and I'm sad to see her stuffed in a fridge when giving her a powersuit like Kiera has (don't they have one spare somewhere?) would solve the problem of her getting ambushed.

As for Kiera, the problem is plot. The rug being pulled from under them means they have to back track some of her development to introduce a tried and true inner conflict (whose notes they know well) because they lack the time to develop another one.

In universe though, I think the holo-dream she had can be handwaved as being real enough to her (legitly thinking she's back in her own time) that it destroyed the progress she made with the help of Gaeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
We were ALREADY shown that there are multiple timelines being tracked in season 3. She can probably get back to her home timeline via one of the more-advanced time travel devices.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apoplexy posted:

We were ALREADY shown that there are multiple timelines being tracked in season 3. She can probably get back to her home timeline via one of the more-advanced time travel devices.

Possibly but as I pointed out earlier (or in the last thread?) we have yet to see anyone in this series actually travel forward in time.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That's for the finale. Hell, it seems like it should be EASIER to travel forward instead of back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apoplexy posted:

That's for the finale. Hell, it seems like it should be EASIER to travel forward instead of back.

I dunno, look how much effort it took for them to send Kiera over to the new timeline.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wouldn't she just have to make another kid in the future? We've established already that the person time traveling doesn't just switch brains, it's a new physical copy. She'd have to steal the not her child to be with him again. That's if it's not a frog cause they hosed up time a lot already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Invalid Validation posted:

Wouldn't she just have to make another kid in the future? We've established already that the person time traveling doesn't just switch brains, it's a new physical copy. She'd have to steal the not her child to be with him again. That's if it's not a frog cause they hosed up time a lot already.

The theory is that if Kiera's original timeline still exists, she could step back in seamlessly. But if it doesn't there would indeed already be a Kiera there and we don't know if she'd be willing to murder herself just to get her son (and husband I guess) back.

That is assuming that they can figure out how to access the alternate timelines, Alec seems to think it's possible. There's a lot to do in 4 episodes.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Rhyno posted:

The theory is that if Kiera's original timeline still exists, she could step back in seamlessly. But if it doesn't there would indeed already be a Kiera there and we don't know if she'd be willing to murder herself just to get her son (and husband I guess) back.

That is assuming that they can figure out how to access the alternate timelines, Alec seems to think it's possible. There's a lot to do in 4 episodes.

Could jump forward to just after she was sent back, no self murder needed!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JossiRossi posted:

Could jump forward to just after she was sent back, no self murder needed!

It looked like that might happen once previously. But not every timeline is going to involve her traveling back in time, that's the problem. She might show up to a future where she got sick the day of the execution.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Rhyno posted:

But if it doesn't there would indeed already be a Kiera there and we don't know if she'd be willing to murder herself just to get her son (and husband I guess) back.

We totally know and the answer is yes. She's like the most depraved, selfish person on the show and it owns because of it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Here comes a new episode, just a few more hours! I rarely get this excited about TV shows any more.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Apoplexy posted:

Here comes a new episode, just a few more hours! I rarely get this excited about TV shows any more.

:frogsiren: :getin: :jiggled: :jiggled: :getin: :frogsiren:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Literally this for every episode of this season. It has to be, so it is. The opening already rules. So do the new digs on Garza.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 19, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hahah Kiera you are selfish as gently caress. Lucas died so you might be able to return home if the device works.

Garza should've just shot you in the face afterwards. :commissar:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm just surprised they capped the leader of the Future Soldiers already. That's quick turn-over of new characters. Also, remembering the second CPS suit was an awesome example of why this show rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apoplexy posted:

I'm just surprised they capped the leader of the Future Soldiers already. That's quick turn-over of new characters. Also, remembering the second CPS suit was an awesome example of why this show rules.

There's 3 episodes left. That was about as developed as we can expect a new guy to be.

And there's a third CPS suit somewhere still isn't there?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

And there's a third CPS suit somewhere still isn't there?

Elena's suit, right? The one Travis stole during the aborted timeline from the end of Season 2. I can't remember what happened to that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Elena's suit, right? The one Travis stole during the aborted timeline from the end of Season 2. I can't remember what happened to that one.

Presumably wherever it was prior to Travis taking it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
In the aborted timeline, Travis got let into Alec's lab and stole it. In the new one, Alec hid the suit and, presumably at the same time or near after, Dead Kiera's suit as well. There SHOULD be a third suit somewhere, as such, but I think this is the best we're getting.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Man, don't tease me by showing the power armour and then not having Garza hop in it to break them out. Poor Lucas, I feel it's all about to come home now that we're on the final stretch.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Theory: They will end the series by killing Kiera and leaving every thread unresolved.

In interview, the head writer, while frequently rubbing his nose, will say, "In life, nothing is ever settled, nothing ever really resolved. Things just gradually emerge: plans are interrupted, things go wrong, loose ends are left hanging. *sniffle*"

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 19, 2015

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Accretionist posted:

Theory: They will end the series by killing Kiera and leaving every thread unresolved.

As long as it ends with Garza ripping out Kiera's spine, all good.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Kiera is now playing Future-Present Kellog against Alternate-Future Kellog. Which is pretty perfect and probably is A-F Kellog's plan. Why fix the past when he can go back and take it for himself.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Accretionist posted:

In interview, the head writer, while frequently rubbing his nose, will say, "In life, nothing is ever settled, nothing ever really resolved. Things just gradually emerge: plans are interrupted, things go wrong, loose ends are lefting hanging. *sniffle*"

The traveller kills Kiera.

It is never revealed who he is or what he wants.

:eng99:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The traveller kills Kiera.

It is never revealed who he is or what he wants.

:eng99:

YES. Farscape the gently caress out of this finale.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Crazy theory (not at all serious): the traveller is Keira's son who is doing all this so his mom will be home for his 15th birthday.

I liked Julian and Lucas together, especially when they were giving Alec a hard time, and it's a shame that it didn't happen more, and now it's done. :(

I thought it was a nice touch that Keira was the one who told all the former Liber8 members about Lucas.

Garza is the best. :3:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don't know if I could take another full season, they have no more ideas left for the show and Kellog is a bad villain. It's just going to end with the same future that season one started with.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think the last few episodes have been amazing, personally.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apoplexy posted:

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

Pretty much this. I can see hints of what would have happened in future seasons if they'd had them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just think its a lot of rehashed mush personally, but I wouldn't call it bad or anything. And does Kiera ever manage to finish a mission in stealth without getting revealed?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Wasn't there something at some point about Keira's husband being in-on her getting sent back, or whatever? Did anything ever come of that?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Brock Samson posted:

Wasn't there something at some point about Keira's husband being in-on her getting sent back, or whatever? Did anything ever come of that?

He worked on the device in question and had some idea something was up (Kiera losing her memories regarding the case, then Kiera's last minute station change) and seemingly got promoted oddly quickly to working closely with Alec Saddler. However there isn't anything to suggest he was a knowing accomplice.

The tragedy this episode was Kiera deciding to go in and blow up the place despite originally wanting only recon; it's all in character for her but it's so tragic. Had she agreed to pull out at the first oppurtunity Garza would've come along and Lucas would be alive AND Alec would've figured out it was an anti matter system.

Kiera's recklessness ruins everything for herself again.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 20, 2015

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Pikehead posted:

Pretty much this. I can see hints of what would have happened in future seasons if they'd had them.

I think the episodes have been great so far. I'm trying to think of each plot thread in the context of a normal show or season length.

for example in most shows:

Theaseus trying to run away from his future only to embrace it, and try and change it would be an entire seasons character arc for some shows.

The reveal that the super soldiers are building a time machine would probably have been a penultimate episode reveal, after a seasons worth of the bad guys getting away and hints at what they are doing, all wrapped around a standard cop procedural.

Lucas bonding with Alec, and then dying tragically by listening to his would probably have been at least half a season to make his death even more impactful.

I am sure there are lots of others in the last 3 episodes I am not remembering right now but each plot thread on a normal cop show would be stretched to its limits. Having the countdown to the finale allows them to blow past the fluff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think the show would have had that take any longer than half a season. Continuum wasn't ever a show slow, just deliberately paced.

For instance, I do think the season could have benefited from slightly more time on Lucas, Theseus, Brad and the other future soldiers (I really love where they're going with Kyra Zgorsky as the anti-Kira though). Plus, there's been precious little fall-out from Sonya's death. Plus, I'd just like to have a chance to spend more time with the characters that I've enjoyed for the last few years. It's a good cast, all up. No weak links.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't think the show would have had that take any longer than half a season. Continuum wasn't ever a show slow, just deliberately paced.

For instance, I do think the season could have benefited from slightly more time on Lucas, Theseus, Brad and the other future soldiers (I really love where they're going with Kyra Zgorsky as the anti-Kira though). Plus, there's been precious little fall-out from Sonya's death. Plus, I'd just like to have a chance to spend more time with the characters that I've enjoyed for the last few years. It's a good cast, all up. No weak links.

I see your point. I don't think continuum could have been a 7 to 10 season show, but I do think an extra season or two would have worked well. I do think the characters are written well, and the special effects look good too.

I'm cautiously excited for the upcoming episodes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
"Her. I found her Instagram account. Really loves cat videos."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Future Kellogg plotting to gently caress his younger self is hilarious. So Old Alec sent Kiera back, but only because young Alec told him to. But he only knows about any of this because Old Alec sent Kiera back. So, the Traveler comes from a totally different timeline I'm assuming or he would have known about this. From the ending I'm guessing this is going to go horribly wrong. Brad and crew are bringing their survivors back, and prepping the stuff it would take to get them back to health. But those are the same things that you'd need to bring in an army but I don't recall them at any point ever mentioning weapons. Then again they apparently have power armor so they may not need weapons. From last season Brad said they have all the tools to destroy life but none to sustain it. I have the sneaking suspicion that what they told Brad was bullshit to placate him. They sent one guy back to change things but it wasn't enough. Now they could be sending everyone to get a jump on whoever the enemy is in Brad's future. This is going to be a catastrophe and I really hope there isn't a reset button at the end of all this.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wrap this and it's probably better that they don't dig too much into the traveler or my head will loving explode taking all of Vancouver with it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wrap this and it's probably better that they don't dig too much into the traveler or my head will loving explode taking all of Vancouver with it.

The Traveler is Kiera's kid, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If now Alec and future Alec have to meet in a place outside of time to converse, lest they create a paradox that collapses all timelines, wouldn't future-now Kellog's kidneys inside future-future Kellog's body do the same thing?

• Locked thread