Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apache
May 11, 2004

Daedra posted:

Cancelling Deadwood was a criminal act by HBO.

This, plus Firefly and Alphas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
The Chicago Code

Stargate Universe

Southland

really any show i liked that got cancelled

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

CobiWann posted:

Shows that WERE cancelled too soon?

The Middleman.

Amen to that! Loved that show and it pissed me off that a great fun show like Middleman was killed yet the lovely "Secret Life of the American Teenager" lasted 5 loving seasons!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Leverage

My nomination, not because they left it on a cliffhanger or had unresolved plotlines, but because I just really loved this show.

It could have continued as a weekly conjob-of-the-week and I would have been perfectly happy. I liked the group dynamic, and the actors. It was just a genuinely enjoyable show.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Happytown was a surreal mystery/drama that was poorly served by a marketing campaign that made it looks like a horror show. It was dreamlike rather than straight nightmarish.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Terriers has been mentioned already, as has Firefly, Constantine, the Good Guys, The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Journeyman but I've got 2 that I liked a lot.

Human Target, despite being massively re-tooled in the second season which didn't make it as good was very fun. It was basically a throwback to shows like Magnum PI and MacGuyver where a guy helps people in trouble. Jackie Earl Halley was awesome in it.

Touching Evil
I enjoyed the poo poo out of this show, and it only got one season. At this point, I'd be happy for it to be on DVD or streaming. It was based on a show from the UK but was apparently very different.

Jeffrey Donovan plays an FBI profiler who gets shot in the head and ends up strange because of it. Also starring Vera Farmiga and Bradley Cooper in very early roles

One more:

Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

It was funny as poo poo and deserved to be on forever.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 3, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Dark Project posted:

Space: Above and Beyond. Had really found its legs by the second season, but Fox pulled the rug out from under it so it could get Morgan and Wong back for the X-Files.

SABAB only had one season. And it got measurably worse by the end due to budget issues and the CG of the time (by the end you can literally see the actors miming recoil on their rifles and only having CG effects on 1 out of 5 shots). That's not a dig at the show, I loved it and recently rewatched it.

I'm also going to disagree with Firefly and Jericho. Firefly ended before it could get tremendously lovely, as Serenity very clearly showed us it would. Jericho just never could have had the budget to do what it wanted to do right, but that's not the fault of anyone involved but the network.

I very much agree with Kings, that show was criminally mishandled by the network. An alt-reality show with great supporting actors (admittedly, not really the lead or the love interest, they were pretty wooden) that you could easily rope in the bible fuckers into watching? How do you bungle that so hard? Oh right, NBC didn't even try to make it appeal to the jesus freaks and dumped it on summer back when summer was still a total death sentence.

Terriers being canceled was a tragedy.

I also think Stargate Universe had sort of found its legs, and was way better than Dark Matter, but I'm more pissed that Atlantis got strangled by it when the Atlantis storyline was poised to finally reveal the gate program to the world and give a satisfying wrap-up to the whole stargate story.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

BooDoug187 posted:

Profit

A very dark show from 1996 that was cancelled after three episodes. The main character, Jim Profit, gets a job at a very well know company and quickly moves up the ranks. No one knows he is really trying to destroy the company from the inside out in a dark revenge plot. He will destroy and kill anyone who gets in his way!

This was "too dark" for 90's viewers but would most likely be a big hit on something like AMC or FX in this day and age!

This show was dope. Dude slept in a cardboard box!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Early Doors, a fantastic British sitcom in the same vein as The Royle Family, only set in a pub. I remember reading with excitement about the planned third series, that was a decade ago now and I'm still waiting.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Max Headroom - the ABC series, not the talk show. A scathing look at television. Maybe a little too scathing.

Dark Skies - NBC's alien conspiracy series. I really wanted to see how they would have integrated the aliens into 9/11, the space shuttle disasters, etc..

Brimstone - John Glover was the Devil. John Glover was the loving Devil!

G vs E - More devil stuff.

Another vote for Better Off Ted and Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What was the show about the guy sent by the devil back to earth to hunt down escaped souls, represented by tattoos? I don't even know if that qualifies for this topic because I can't remember if it even aired or was cut short, I just remember commercials somewhat and I liked the concept.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What was the show about the guy sent by the devil back to earth to hunt down escaped souls, represented by tattoos? I don't even know if that qualifies for this topic because I can't remember if it even aired or was cut short, I just remember commercials somewhat and I liked the concept.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Brimstone - John Glover was the Devil. John Glover was the loving Devil!

It was pretty great. A cop sent to Hell for murdering his wife's rapist is enlisted by Satan to round up 113 damned souls who staged a prison break.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That was Brimstone. Zeke Stone had tattoos representing each of the 113 escaped demons. As he sent them back to hell (by taking out their eyes), their tattoo would be burned off his body.

One of the demons took the shape of a lovely old Oldsmobile and he had to shoot out its headlights.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

If we're talking devil shows, let's not forget Reaper, which had a premise similar to Brimstone but had Ray Wise as The Devil. I really liked John Glover in Brimstone but Ray Wise was just great.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Some that have been brought up already but deserve to be mentioned again:

Terriers
Nowhere Man
Better off Ted
Don't Trust the Bitch
Middleman

And one that hasn't been mentioned:

Sym-Bionic Titan

Tartakovsky making a giant robot show, and it gets cancelled one season in because, and this is the truth, CN couldn't figure out how to merchandise a loving giant robot show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Test Pattern posted:

Some that have been brought up already but deserve to be mentioned again:

Terriers
Nowhere Man
Better off Ted
Don't Trust the Bitch
Middleman

And one that hasn't been mentioned:

Sym-Bionic Titan

Tartakovsky making a giant robot show, and it gets cancelled one season in because, and this is the truth, CN couldn't figure out how to merchandise a loving giant robot show.

That reminds me of Titan Maximum, another giant robot show that only lasted one season. Monkey Jesus!

And I still lament the loss of Lucy, The Daughter of the Devil. Don't think getting Bob's Burgers was an even trade off.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I might as well mention another one of ABC Family's one season wonders, Bunheads. I plugged this show incessantly when it was on the air, so if you're interested you can delve into the mouth of madness and search my post history for it, but here's the gist: Bunheads is a funny and emotionally compelling show about a Vegas showgirl who moves to a small California community to run a dance studio with her curmudgeonly mother-in-law. It is very much a spiritual successor of Gilmore Girls, being created by the same woman, so if you liked that show you should like this one.

Unfortunately, short clips and gifs don't do it justice (like Gilmore Girls), but the clip below is indicative of the tone of the show. The show doesn't stream anywhere and good luck finding a torrent of it, but it is available on iTunes and I recommend giving at least the first two episodes a try if what you see below doesn't make you vomit blood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WkgaIeAbA0

AFewBricksShy posted:

Terriers has been mentioned already, as has Firefly, Constantine, the Good Guys, The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Journeyman but I've got 2 that I liked a lot.

Human Target, despite being massively re-tooled in the second season which didn't make it as good was very fun. It was basically a throwback to shows like Magnum PI and MacGuyver where a guy helps people in trouble. Jackie Earl Halley was awesome in it.

I think fans of this show and The Neighbors would agree that they were both cancelled at precisely the right time.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I think Mission Hill was a very good cartoon that deserved to be on TV a lot longer than it was

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Stargate Universe

I wanted to like Stargate Universe. I liked the premise. I liked the aesthetics. But unfortunately, it was a BSG wannabe in the bad ways, too: they had no loving idea where they were going with it, and it showed. Robert Carlyle's character was where it was the most threadbare...the sighing at how ignorant and stupid people are around him when a question is asked pertaining to where the show might be headed, followed by a non-answer which said more about the writers than the character. Then they dropped revelations from out of nowhere like a steaming hot turd, and compromised the whole premise of the show by bringing in characters from Earth and elsewhere in our galaxy.

That show was born prematurely, and died from complications related to that. There was no saving it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Max Headroom - the ABC series, not the talk show. A scathing look at television. Maybe a little too scathing.

There has never been a better attempt at cyberpunk on TV or in film.

Max Headroom was the best TV show of the 1980s.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Southland
really any show i liked that got cancelled

I need to give this show another shot. i only watched 4 episodes and it didn't really grab me. Although, it did get 5 seasons. Is 5 seasons really "too soon"?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

xcore posted:

Apart from the obvious Firefly/Arrested Development/Carnivale/Deadwood examples that people will give, I'd like to nominate Better off Ted which never got the same love as AD or 30 Rock but belong in the same conversation and Freaks and Geeks, or even Undeclared for that matter. How can shows with that pool of talent, headed up by Apatow have only got one (limited) season each?

I might be mistaken, but I don't think Apatow had anything to do with Better Off Ted. It *was* however, created by Victor Fresco, who also created the show that I miss more than any other: 'Andy Richter Controls The Universe'.

I also miss Andy Barker PI.

I just want Andy Richter to be successful.

And seconding Space Above And Beyond even if it has aged outrageously poorly. Like, really, really poorly. I still would have been thrilled to get more at the time.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I loving loved The Tick. Patrick Warburton was amazing in it. I have the full season DVD and still watch it from time to time. Still awesome.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Undergrads was the best post-Beavis & Butt-Head cartoon that MTV had done, and it only got a single season. It's on DVD, so buy it and watch it because it's very good.

Eureka got shafted out of a full 5th and final 6th season by Syfy, so everything had to be wrapped up in 13(?) episodes instead of 40ish, leaving the now final 5th season mostly a rushed mess that cranked out the original main plotline for season 5 in 3 episodes, then spent the rest of the series focusing entirely too much on reviving Felicia Day's godawful annoying character, Holly.

The Big O ended on a loving cliffhanger and never got the 3rd season that it was originally intended to have, so gently caress Cartoon Network for not financing it.

Seconding Journeyman and Megas XLR, both fantastic shows that didn't get their proper due.

edit: The Tick live action show is coming back, and will be on Amazon.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

xcore posted:

I need to give this show another shot. i only watched 4 episodes and it didn't really grab me. Although, it did get 5 seasons. Is 5 seasons really "too soon"?

I only watched the seasons after it switched to TNT (I think it was TNT at least), which was s3-5 iirc and definitely worth watching. Tried to watch the first season once and it was kind of boring

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

AFewBricksShy posted:

Touching Evil
I enjoyed the poo poo out of this show, and it only got one season. At this point, I'd be happy for it to be on DVD or streaming. It was based on a show from the UK but was apparently very different.

Jeffrey Donovan plays an FBI profiler who gets shot in the head and ends up strange because of it. Also starring Vera Farmiga and Bradley Cooper in very early roles

I liked Human Target, but for me the Mark Valley show is Keen Eddie, which also introduced the world to the lovely Sienna Miller.

Bradley Cooper puzzles me. Every time I see his name I keep wondering how the guy who played a character who's life's ambition was to gently caress Sydney Bristow on Alias ended up a superstar.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

I might be mistaken, but I don't think Apatow had anything to do with Better Off Ted. It *was* however, created by Victor Fresco, who also created the show that I miss more than any other: 'Andy Richter Controls The Universe'.

Sorry, they were two separate statements. Better Off Ted and Freaks+Undeclared.

I haven't seen Pushing Daisies mentioned. That show was cool.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Guiding Light

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

xcore posted:

Sorry, they were two separate statements. Better Off Ted and Freaks+Undeclared.

.. ohhhh yeah.

Reading is tough.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh, how could I forget Almost Human, it was yet another promising sci-fi show fox killed after 1 season. Great chemistry in the leads - Karl Urban and Michael Ealy (from the excellent but oft overlooked Sleeper Cell) - and a really cool world with a lot to explore. But it was on fox so of course it died in the crib.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

IRQ posted:

Oh, how could I forget Almost Human, it was yet another promising sci-fi show fox killed after 1 season. Great chemistry in the leads - Karl Urban and Michael Ealy (from the excellent but oft overlooked Sleeper Cell) - and a really cool world with a lot to explore. But it was on fox so of course it died in the crib.

Almost Human also had the bad fortune of getting the Firefly treatment and having all the episodes aired out of order. When you go back and watch it as it was written a lot of things that people complained about had been a byproduct of watching network fuckery.

Crunch Grabowski
Sep 4, 2015

by Ralp

AFewBricksShy posted:

Touching Evil

gently caress yes! God this show was incredible. Great directing, interaction between the characters, and a loving incredible soundtrack from a NIN side project. I was so bummed when this show got cancelled. I think it was just a bit ahead of it's time. It would flourish today on FX/AMC/Showtime/HBO.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Terriers is my favorite untimely-canceled show. The one season streams on Netflix, and it's only 13 episodes. I strongly recommend it to all. I've always imagined it took place in the same continuity as Veronica Mars, where Keith Mars and Hank Dolworth would have been chummy fellow private dicks in their neighboring seamy SoCal beach towns.

FX did Terriers such a disservice with one of the worst marketing campaigns I've ever seen for a show. And no, I didn't watch it either -- not until years later, after it gained a well-deserved cult following and showed up on Netflix.

I also miss Stella (I could watch those guys do anything), and I would have enjoyed more of TNT's '40s crime-noir drama Mob City, which scratched my James Ellroy itch, even though I never got to see the last episode. Constantine was improving and could have ended up great, but at least we haven't seen the last of Matt Ryan's excellent portrayal of John Constantine.

I've always wanted to watch Charlie Jade, though. Sci-fi noir with alternate universes is right up my alley. I love anything like that, especially Fringe. It's a shame it doesn't stream anywhere.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 4, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Yates posted:

I loving loved The Tick. Patrick Warburton was amazing in it. I have the full season DVD and still watch it from time to time. Still awesome.

Have you heard the good news?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
A bunch of stuff already mentioned:

Firefly - In another universe, this would have been aired in order and promoted more. Really scratched my 'well written sci fi' itch. Don't know if it would have found the audience to justify a second season due to it's high costs and sci fi leanings even if given a chance.

Stargate Universe - First season was good to meh for me. Second season (and finale) really blew it out of the water when they worked stuff out. Dark, futuristic sci fi

Kings - Quirky, well written show.

Some of my own:

Harsh Realm

Soldier trapped in a government virtual reality simulation that they no longer have control of. Very quirky niche sci fi, music by mark snow, concept adapted from comic books by Chris Carter

Flash Forward

Based off a book by Robert J Sawyer. Very philosophical and a bit confusing at times. I really enjoyed this show, but there just wasn't the audience for it go past 1 season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

FX did Terriers such a disservice with one of the worst marketing campaigns I've ever seen for a show. And no, I didn't watch it either -- not until years later, after it gained a well-deserved cult following and showed up on Netflix.

Well I watched it when it aired :colbert: and it was amazing. Problem is, I'm a dirty Australian pirate so it wouldn't have helped with ratings anyway. The chemistry between Hank and Britt was awesome and I wish I had a friendship like that (minus the alcaholism and failed marriages).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loved Sirens but I'm the only person I know who watched it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Invasion

Started off slow and kinda bad but by the end of its season, it was incredibly good and was drawing nice ratings. The problem was that it aired after Lost and ABC got greedy about what ratings it should be pulling. As it turns out, nothing really got close to drawing what Invasion did, so ABC hosed themselves.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Young Justice: I still say this was the best animated thing that DC had ever put out and I don't know why it never really caught on. Arc based storylines, a lot of interesting plot developments, they seemed to have really good cameos.

Dead at 21: Okay, it's a show that is almost destined to run only a single year given the story is the main character is set to die at 21 and they'd turned 20 in the first episode, but after the final episode I was already working out a 'Dead @ 22" season outline in my head. I don't know WHY this is a show that I remember just watching and liking so much in the 90s for just that one year it aired.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

BooDoug187 posted:

Profit

A very dark show from 1996 that was cancelled after three episodes. The main character, Jim Profit, gets a job at a very well know company and quickly moves up the ranks. No one knows he is really trying to destroy the company from the inside out in a dark revenge plot. He will destroy and kill anyone who gets in his way!

This was "too dark" for 90's viewers but would most likely be a big hit on something like AMC or FX in this day and age!

If I'm remembering right, he didn't want to destroy the company. He wanted to ensure its survival at all costs because he was raised in a cardboard box with their logo on the side and internalized the idea that their slogan ("a family company") meant that the company and the family that founded it were somehow his real family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Mao
Apr 24, 2004

The Chinese Communist Party is the core of leadership of the whole Chinese people. Without this core, the cause of socialism cannot be victorious.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also: GvsE. Sort of. It was an hilarious black comedy when it was on USA, then it promptly tried to turn 'hip and cool' when Sci-Fi absorbed it, and became absolutely unfunny. It deserved a second season of actually getting to be a comedy. (ED: For a hint how terrible it became they renamed it Good Vs Evil because they decided the audience was too stupid to get that.)

God GvsE was a good show wasn't it? Ultra low budget campy fun with a retro 70s vibe, funny, well written, well acted. It knew exactly what it was and what it wanted to be. Shame Good vs Evil managed to be literally none of those things. What a way to ruin a great formula and waste a cast with incredible chemistry.

I mean they didn't just fail at making a funny second season, they actively sucked out all the comedy and filled it with terrible failed attempts at pathos and made it a drama that felt more like they wanted Brimstone but couldn't afford the rights (or decent writers).

Wax Lion posted:

All you people naming shows that did two or more seasons are spoiled. Wonderfalls was a charming romantic comedy with some cool visuals from Bryan Fuller and was cancelled after four episodes. I still mourn it, 11 years later.

Holy crap someone else remembers Wonderfalls. I remember watching this as it "aired", and by that I mean watching the increasingly incomplete workprints as they leaked to the internet. I actually came in here to post this and I can't believe someone else beat me to it.

Speaking of shows graced by the loving death touch of Tim Minear though, Terriers deserved a whole better than it got.

Chairman Mao fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 4, 2015

• Locked thread