Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
past me was a loving rear end in a top hat and future me is a toolbag

IronClaymore posted:

So here's me, the transporter tech. Your shuttle will take ten minutes to dock with us and consume a gazillion gallons of fuel doing so. Maybe I just do a thing, you find yourself onboard, or a version of you does with all your memories identical with you in every way, using some energy to matter replicator thingies no one knows about but me. (Not really energy to matter the atoms of your new body are taken from the air there's plenty of spare atoms in the hold.)

And then I call my buddy on the phaser battery who blasts the shuttle. As far as you know, you took a shuttle craft to the ship, you disembarked, you are now on the ship. But I put some fake memories in there. The real you was blasted into space dust by my buddy, you're just some clone I made up in the replicator. You still have all the old guy's memories. But he/you, you're still dead buddy!

yeah but remember when Lt Broccoli finally went through you and there were other beings and poo poo trying to pull him into the data stream or whatever

No thanks buddy. Post-scarcity economy anyway.

In fact just hook me up with a holosuite on Earth and I'll never leave that room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Moridin920 posted:

yeah but remember when Lt Broccoli finally went through you and there were other beings and poo poo trying to pull him into the data stream or whatever

No thanks buddy. Post-scarcity economy anyway.

In fact just hook me up with a holosuite on Earth and I'll never leave that room.

Great. Another holosuite drone. In the future: the vast majority of people doing nothing and living in holosuites, a small group of Patrick Stuarts getting paid a good amount to tear around the universe looking for the poo poo, and an even smaller group of engineers working 16 hour days making it all work. Yeah, no coincidence they chose the engineer guy, the one guy who did everything in his power to make an almost normal family life with his wife and daughter, to make him spend a lifetime in virtual reality prison cell with constant starvation and make him murder his best friend, just as a plot point.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
go colonize a planet about it

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TEAYCHES posted:

prove it retard

cogito ergo sum works for me, can't really prove it to other people though :shrug:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

There was all those episodes where like someone would get all hosed up with Alien disease genetic cancer diarrhoea or whatever and they'd be like "We have their pattern in the transportafier's data banks, we can just run them through it and correct all those issues".

But did they ever put a dead person through there to do the same thing? They still got that bullshit pattern, but nope. They just are like "oh dear he dead nothing we can do". All the same parts are there just their heart stopped or whatever, should have worked.

The entire crew was maladjusted morons.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

Also I'm disregarding the sleep = death poo poo from this thread, gently caress thattt

Yeah that sounds like bullshit to me.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

concerned mom posted:

at what point is a discarded fingernail clipping no longer you

when it doesn't bend anymore

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Janeway was the best captain.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Hobohemian posted:

Janeway was the best captain.

for me to poop on!!!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

for me to poop on!!!

was she into that? i didnt see much voyager

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Yeah that sounds like bullshit to me.

when you lose consciousness your body is a meat sack, like former vegetable Terri shivo. there is absolutely no person in the meat sack and you have effectively seized to exist. if you are lucky, your body will start up a new, almost identical consciousness when you wake up and it can pretend like nothing happened. Always remember that you are not your body, you are something your body does. only the body has true continuity.

where did you think you were going when you fall a sleep?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

shes a durty bitch

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

when you lose consciousness your body is a meat sack, like former vegetable Terri shivo. there is absolutely no person in the meat sack and you have effectively seized to exist. if you are lucky, your body will start up a new, almost identical consciousness when you wake up and it can pretend like nothing happened. Always remember that you are not your body, you are something your body does. only the body has true continuity.

where did you think you were going when you fall a sleep?
the land of nod fucker

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There was one where she gets turned into a lizard with Tom the pilot and they have lizard babies. Oh god, that show was so bad, I regret my post even as a joke.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I was real stoned when I saw The Prestige but I thought that whole thing was stupid too

The machine works by sticking a cat or a hat into the machine and it poops out a copy nearby

Oh no, which one is the original? The one in the goddamn machine, dummy. That's how it works

You can examine a very similar process by sticking a piece of paper on the glass of a xerox machine there is very little room for existential angst

Also, the Batman character apparently decided to start living a double life before beginning the years-long development process where he decided that he had to commit his whole life to his act and do whatever it took to be the best magician, for instance being twins each living a double life like a crazy man. Good thing he was already doing it when he first met literally every other character including the ones who were around when he learned this important truth looooool

also scarlet johanson sucks she literally can't do anything that isn't "Look, I'm scarlet johanson being an actress" in every goddamn role

Tujague fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 1, 2015

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, I'm comforted to learn that I'm neither of those people. It's nice.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Came here to post this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

basement jihadist posted:

what about all the particles of pee pee and doodoo that are in u at the time are they reintegrated?

Welcome aboard captain, oh I took the liberty of removing all pee pee and doo doo from your system.

• Locked thread