Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
There's so many minor visual gags that I'm going to have to re-watch. I cracked up in the final episode after the huge sporting equipment battle, and then the army shows up and someone flings a frisbee at the jeep's windshield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also the missiles are just those big crayon banks.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Loved it when Victor is putting on the condoms and the camera goes to the woman and you see a condom flip up and hit her in the face.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It cracked me up how many times they used the "throwing something followed by pottery smashing sound" gag. Awesome callback to the movie.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I saw most of the series with captions and the captions had a lot of that 'pottery smashing sound' captioned as well as people off screen making comments about what's happening. Was pretty funny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One thing I missed from the movie was when characters would leave a scene ridiculously - like walking off the dock directly into the water, or running off to stand with their heads against a wall because their part of the script was over and they weren't needed in the scene anymore.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jerusalem posted:

One thing I missed from the movie was when characters would leave a scene ridiculously - like walking off the dock directly into the water, or running off to stand with their heads against a wall because their part of the script was over and they weren't needed in the scene anymore.

They did that gag at least once though with Andy, where he keeps turning back to talk and then walks towards a fence with a giant overgrown cornfield behind it. In the end he just sort of awkwardly climbs over the fence into the corn as the camera stays on him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

King Vidiot posted:

They did that gag at least once though with Andy, where he keeps turning back to talk and then walks towards a fence with a giant overgrown cornfield behind it. In the end he just sort of awkwardly climbs over the fence into the corn as the camera stays on him.

Haha, I did forget about that one. Welp, the series is now just a small kid being thrown out of a van away from being perfect.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Gene's skipping running had me geeking up.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I had no idea Ken Marino was that ripped.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I loved the film but honestly, this just was not funny every scene is one of 3 things

1. Joke about how their old people playing young people.

2. Serious Conversation then CRAZYNESS

3. Boring.

I thought it was complete garbage.

Was this post a joke?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Everybody give Burning Love a shot if you haven't heard of it. I just found it on Hulu and it's Ken Marino, Michael Ian Black, and a ton of very funny character actresses doing a fake The Bachelor type show. it aired on E! which explains why I never heard of it.

Anyways it's no WHAS but I love those two actors and a lot of Party Down cast is in there as well. it's 3 seasons and they build on previous seasons while coming up with ridiculous ways to keep the first season cast around.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Burning Love is aces, they pull off the formula perfectly. Good cameos as well.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If you like Burning Love try The Hot Wives of Orlando by June Diane Rapheal and Casey Wilson on hulu. The sequel series set in Las Vegas premieres next week.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
I laugh whenever I think of the "I'll fart my way into that snatch, just you watch." line. A more perfect line has never been spoken.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

COOL CORN posted:

It cracked me up how many times they used the "throwing something followed by pottery smashing sound" gag. Awesome callback to the movie.

And at one point Gail walks into Arts (and farts) and Crafts with a massive box of crayons and a crate marked "pottery clay"

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Something awesome a friend pointed out was that Katie's ElectroCity lawyer costume is similar to Celery Man.

Reo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 15, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad others felt the Coops Girlfriend plot was the weakest. It's just super uncomfortable to watch, and its also super cliched. Nice guy is really into his hot girlfriend, who isn't really that into him, and there's some hot foreign guy that she's clearly more into.

Him and the kid being bullied is good. I Love the "Why do you do this????" and the bully kid is "because I can!".

It's so weird to think how many famous people got their start in this movie. I had no idea it was Bradly Coopers first movie, that's insane.

Something I always wondered, is the camp a specifically Jewish kids camp or does it just have a lot of Jewish campers and staff. A lot of the Jewish kids i went to school with went to a Jewish camp in upstate New York every summer, and it sounded a lot like Firewood. The Blake's comment about "sunburnt Jews" made me wonder. Its also possible that he's just a racist like all old money Americans.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The plot with Coop's girlfriend was great because David Wain's character was flirting with Coop about as much as he was hitting on his girlfriend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Beth freaking out to flashbacks while driving and the robot kid just sitting there uncomfortable was god drat funny. Also, McKinnley and JJ's "lets get out of here" walk when Andy and Kate are arguing at the party.

Emerson Cod posted:

The plot with Coop's girlfriend was great because David Wain's character was flirting with Coop about as much as he was hitting on his girlfriend.

Once that became obvious, it wasn't nearly as awkward as it was at first.

In the last shot of Gene coming up from behind the bush, did anyone else expect Falcon to come up with him?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 15, 2015

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

twistedmentat posted:

Something I always wondered, is the camp a specifically Jewish kids camp or does it just have a lot of Jewish campers and staff. A lot of the Jewish kids i went to school with went to a Jewish camp in upstate New York every summer, and it sounded a lot like Firewood. The Blake's comment about "sunburnt Jews" made me wonder. Its also possible that he's just a racist like all old money Americans.

Firewood's a lot like my old summer camp, but I've talked to some fellow Wet Hot fans who were raised Jewish, and for all of my recognition of different camp things, they said it's even closer to their Jewish summer camps from their childhoods. That, combined with Blake's comment and a few other things ("shul," Alan Shemper's accent) make me think Firewood's a Jewish camp. I also think Wain has said it's based off his experiences at a Jewish camp.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CRINDY posted:

Firewood's a lot like my old summer camp, but I've talked to some fellow Wet Hot fans who were raised Jewish, and for all of my recognition of different camp things, they said it's even closer to their Jewish summer camps from their childhoods. That, combined with Blake's comment and a few other things ("shul," Alan Shemper's accent) make me think Firewood's a Jewish camp. I also think Wain has said it's based off his experiences at a Jewish camp.

I think its based off of people's experiences, but I doubt a Jewish camp would be performing Godspell.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's why it got booed.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Wain wrote it based on his own experiences in camp growing up so there you go.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

twistedmentat posted:

I'm glad others felt the Coops Girlfriend plot was the weakest. It's just super uncomfortable to watch, and its also super cliched. Nice guy is really into his hot girlfriend, who isn't really that into him, and there's some hot foreign guy that she's clearly more into.

There was so much callback to the film that I'm surprised people disliked the Coop's girlfriend plot. I thought it was a pretty clever take to force him into a three way and to use his old man fat to make him look ridiculous. And besides, everyone at camp had that one hopeless romantic kid that got torched by half the girls in camp, so it's fitting as a plot I guess, even if it is cliche.

twistedmentat posted:

It's so weird to think how many famous people got their start in this movie. I had no idea it was Bradly Coopers first movie, that's insane.

I watched WHAS on cable TV a lot and finally saw it just the other month on Netflix unedited. I had no idea Bradley Cooper had a scene in that movie where he was getting it from behind from Michael Ian Black

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The only thing I liked about Coop's subplot is that Lake Bell delivered her lines in a perfectly awkward manner. I just didn't find Wain's character very funny at all.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In the movie you get from Coop's phone call home that he isn't sure if Katie is Jewish, so it seems like there may be some degree of diversity.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Although he does say he likes how she's always late for schul.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure like a lot of things in this show, the camp being super Jewish -but that not coming up directly- is the joke.

In the movie they have the scene where they're reading off kids names, and it's absolutely hilarious because it makes the audience go: 'oh wait, is this a jewish camp? hah hah.'

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
In the movie, there's the scene where Janeane Garofalo is reading off the children's names in the cafeteria, it is clear that she is just ad-libbing the most Jewish names she can think of.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hilario Baldness posted:

Gene's skipping running had me geeking up.

Yeah, if someone can get a gif of that and Marino running that would be aces.

I think directing-wise, this was a step up from the movie. The types of shots (David Hyde Pierce's scene was practically a mini-movie, the 80s rock magazine scene was also directed perfectly) was more ambitious and more assured, building off from the movies and shows (especially Childrens' Hospital, which is basically a halfway stop between the movie and the show) Wain has done in the meantime.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

wa27 posted:

The only thing I liked about Coop's subplot is that Lake Bell delivered her lines in a perfectly awkward manner. I just didn't find Wain's character very funny at all.
The bit I liked was the reversal of the cliched misunderstood accent.
"Coop, I think he's saying third."
"No, I say turd. Like, what happens in toilet?"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i've watched the show 4 times now and my favorite thing is definitely the music. I Am A Wolf and Higher & Higher are both fantastic, and all of the other songs that I don't actually now the names to rock also

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

vonnegutt posted:

In the movie, there's the scene where Janeane Garofalo is reading off the children's names in the cafeteria, it is clear that she is just ad-libbing the most Jewish names she can think of.

From memory, half of them are real surnames being read off a list for the real camp on the wall.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

From memory, half of them are real surnames being read off a list for the real camp on the wall.

Also, Hank Azaria went to that camp when he was a kid, and Janeane Garofalo saw his name carved into a bunk and called him up to ask him about it... and then she threw an "Azaria" into that list of names as a result.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Man, I thought the show was great, not quite as great as the movie, but that's going to happen on a show. Plenty of call backs, but done in newer ways, and also tons of new jokes.

I need to practice my mask work.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was pretty enjoyable. Missed alot of the blatant i guess humor of the movie but still great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bird in a Blender posted:

Man, I thought the show was great, not quite as great as the movie, but that's going to happen on a show. Plenty of call backs, but done in newer ways, and also tons of new jokes.

I need to practice my mask work.

Are you trying to be more, creative?

I love that Electro City's logo on stage was made with Light Bright.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 23, 2015

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, if someone can get a gif of that and Marino running that would be aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

twistedmentat posted:

I love that Electro City's logo on stage was made with Light Bright.

Just like the Talent Show in the movie.

• Locked thread