Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Ho ho ho, wanting children not to starve is so adolescent.
I'd say it's more childish. After all, who cares more about starving children than the children themselves? And what are we to call the interests of children?

~lordfreudlogic~

e: 4. Four. The one secret clause that Blairites hate!

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
I'm always hesitant to criticise people for taking a stand about 'the wrong thing'. There are plenty of people taking a stand about nothing at all, and I think that's more of a problem than animal activists, who often tend to be involved in other social justice causes anyway. Activism is addictive, if you get people (particularly young people) moving on one cause they often get sucked into others.

While it's a bit galling when some rich woman bequeaths 7 million pounds to a fund for retired donkeys rather than a charity for the homeless it's still better than using it to buy houses in London and yacht trips to Monaco for her children. I personally prefer people with imperfectly directed empathy to those with none at all.

lmaoboy1998 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 1, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
imagine writing that article and being proud enough of it that you got it pubilshed in a national paper. christ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You're right. Maybe if the press keeps comparing asylum seekers to animals on the same page as defending the rights of animals, they will eventually start defending the rights of asylum seekers via the transitive property. It's a long shot, but it just might work.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yes but you see that lion was endangered and more importantly, in Africa not in Calais. E: also it had a tracking collar on so we could make sure it didn't come anywhere near Calais.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

imagine writing that article and being proud enough of it that you got it pubilshed in a national paper. christ

At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Telegraph turned out to be a leftist false flag operation and the Barclay Brothers covert Marxist accelerationists. No one can actually believe that printing these sort of hysterical articles does anything but make them appear ridiculous even to those with right-leaning sympathies.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 1, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes but you see that lion was endangered and more importantly, in Africa not in Calais. E: also it had a tracking collar on so we could make sure it didn't come anywhere near Calais.
Replacing the asylum seekers in Calais with 2,200 lions would be amusing for a while.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden
In fairness to the Mirror, they did also publish this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/not-migrant-hordes--people-6165167

quote:

They do not have names. They do not have needs, or rights, or jobs, or a tax code, or a passport. They are your choice of collective noun: a swarm, a flood, a tide, a horde. They are not Bob, or Sue, or David or Kate or Charlotte or Adrian. They are not like us. They are Them. They are stateless and helpless, foodless and friendless. Why should we share? “The migrant crisis” sounds so much more threatening than “the humanitarian crisis”. The need for “austerity” sounds more important than the need for “common sense”. Let’s put to one side for a moment any arguments about space and what we’ll do if the entire population of the world wants to move to these few cold, wet, paedophile-producing square miles of rock. Let’s look at the facts.

1) There are about 5,000 stateless people in Calais

And 64.1million people in the UK. That means if we let in every single person who’d currently like us to, the population would explode by 0.000078%.
 That’s not a flood. It’s barely a drip. 

2) They would not cost very much

Total UK welfare spending is expected to be £217billion this year, 29% of our overall budget. It includes benefits, tax credits, and pensions.
 That works out to £3,385 per head of current population, or £7,406 per taxpayer.
 If we let in those 5,000 extra people, and we assume they get benefits and pay taxes at the same rates as everyone else, we'd turn a profit. They'd cost us about £17m, but make us at the current rate of GDP £100m extra. Even if they didn't work, that £17m divided by all the taxpayers is an extra 57p each.
 That’s not a drain on resources. And when you consider that over their lifetimes those immigrants are more likely than those born here to work harder for longer while taking less out of the system, it might even turn into a plus.

3) Most people don’t want to come here

The argument that letting these people in would mean everyone else would do the same is common, but unreasonable. Yes, each immigrant may have family members who would join them – but if you multiplied their numbers by five, 10, or 20, they still have virtually no impact on our population or finances.
 Most of those trying to come to Britain are from Syria, Libya, Somalia and Eritrea, which have a combined population of 45m.
 Those 5,000 immigrants represent 0.01% of them. That’s not a horde.

4) It’s not their fault

The fact their home states have collapsed is not down to these people’s failures. The fact ISIS are rampaging across the Middle East, Boko Haram are stealing children and fascist fundamentalists are undergoing Islamic schism while Britain enjoys a post-colonial reputation as a place of peace and tolerance is not their fault either.
 They’re not a swarm, bringing discord and terror in their wake. They’re coming here precisely because there is little of either.

5) It’s our fault

There was a building in Calais where asylum seeker claims could be processed. Health was checked, children were fed, women were protected from rape. No-one had to die under trains or drown in the world’s busiest shipping lane. Unworthy claims were thrown out before they set foot on British soil, and the ones who genuinely needed help got it.
 In 2002, we told the French to close it.
 And we put up a fence.
 Then we bombed Libya, were unable to pick a side in Syria, complained about Somalia, did nothing at all about Eritrea while mining it of resources and watched the Arab Spring install schismatic warlords all over the Middle East.
 It’s hardly a surprise some of them want to come here, if only to lodge a formal complaint.

6) We’re idiots

We cut resources for our border agency, which means there are only a few people at a time to check lorries at Calais. This means the queue backs up, the lorries have to stop, and immigrants have the opportunity to clamber aboard.
 We put up better fences at the ferry terminal, which means those same people have gone to the Eurotunnel terminal instead. We’re putting up more fences there, so now they’re cutting the normal fences further away and walking up the track. 
We’re going to have to put up steel fencing all the way to Tripoli at this rate, and that still won’t stop it.

7) Crime is due to motivation, not opportunity

They’re not coming here because of some idle urge, like picking up a fiver dropped in the road. They’re coming because what’s behind them is utterly awful. That’s not a tide. It’s an extremely small exodus.

8) Troops will not help

In Eritrea, the government is accused of being involved in sexual slavery, murder and forced labour. People must do 18 months’ national service in the army at 18 but are not allowed to leave for a decade. Anyone who refuses is considered a traitor and given the death penalty.
 In Somalia, citizens have a government which refuses to hold elections on one side and Al Shebaab’s terror group on the other.
 As for Libya and Syria… these people have seen enough of soldiers. Let’s not throw any more at them.

9) Every single refugee in Calais would be a better British citizen than Nigel Farage

The refugees are degree-educated (Nigel isn’t), capable of speaking half a dozen languages (Nigel’s not), and have worked very hard to get there (Nigel takes part in less than half of all votes in a job he gets paid £109,000 a year to do). 
Their camp in Calais contains a cafe, mosques, a church, paintings, and cut flowers. Immigrants, by definition and throughout history, are people who move great distances for a better life for themselves and their children. America was founded on immigrants and seems to have done quite well.
 Nigel’s home is 2.3miles from the place where he was born and 92% of the electorate didn’t vote for him. 
As immigration point systems go, the refugees are winning. 
There is no swarm. There are no hordes. There are merely a handful of people who’ve had the wit and resources to get as far away from genocide, slavery, rape and murder as they possibly can.
 There is Samira Ahmed, aged 27, whose father was a political activist in Eritrea and was killed when she was a baby. She sleeps under a tree and says: “I just want a happy life.”

(picture)

There is the unnamed 16-year-old girl who was knocked down and killed by a car at the ferry terminals. There are the two Sudanese men in hospital with gruesome injures after being hit by trains.
 There is the doctor from Darfur clinging on to a lorry axle who says Britain will welcome him. There is 17-year-old Aida from Eritrea who walked from Greece to Calais. There is Mouaz al-Balkhi, a Syrian student who bought a wetsuit to swim the Channel and was never seen again.

(picture)

They don’t want to hurt us. They don’t want to steal or squat. They just want a place to rest.
 Yet we threaten troops, we build higher fences, we define them by a collective noun and demand the French do something about the terrible disaster on our doorstep.
 It confounds logic to have our politicians commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day while talking about sending a small number of desperate, clever, useful people back to the Nazis they’re fleeing.
 Have we forgotten? It boils my bowels to hear people talking about troops and fences and walls when what we need is to find our soul. I am not proud of this. I am not proud to see my government treat the needy like a leech to be brushed aside. I do not want my taxes spent on barbed wire when they could more usefully be spent on an immigration centre, diplomacy, or nation building.
 And I do not want to hear one more person talk about floodgates. 
There is no flood. 
There is a drought.
 That’s the crisis, there’s your disaster – the paucity of compassion, the poverty of thought, the total lack of humanity from a nation which, for all our faults, has always had a heart. Until now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I enjoyed calling the under 25s selfish while simultaneously slipping in a MY TAX BILL.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

Someone's jealous they never got their English homework printed in the grown ups paper!

e- good mirror article though

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 1, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ThomasPaine posted:

At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Telegraph turned out to be a leftist false flag operation and the Barclay Brothers covert Marxist accelerationists. No one can actually believe that printing these sort of hysterical articles does anything but make them appear ridiculous even to those with right-leaning sympathies.

Belting out the internationale between lines of cocaine and baby panda cheek canapes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

That might be the first even close to honest article I've ever seen about immigration.

We make such a huge deal out of a relatively tiny amount of people... when by spending a relatively tiny amount of money (and probably profiting in the process) we could make the problem go away entirely. But then, isn't that pretty much the definition of the 'problem' with people on benefits, with the NHS, with virtually every public entity - spending some money on it would make it better and probably make a profit by making it better because when things are better people like them more and spend more on them (or conversely, for the NHS, are generally healthier and spend less on them).

But tories.

And also. We are a nation of immigrants. gently caress the USA, Britain is a nation of immigrants. Every nation outside of central loving Africa is in the end, a nation of immigrants one way or another. Unless you're able to trace your descent right back to the first celtic settlers who chased mammoth across the channel back when it wasn't full of water... I hate to break it to you but you're a descendant of immigrants. Immigration is what made Britain great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

That might be the first even close to honest article I've ever seen about immigration.

We make such a huge deal out of a relatively tiny amount of people... when by spending a relatively tiny amount of money (and probably profiting in the process) we could make the problem go away entirely. But then, isn't that pretty much the definition of the 'problem' with people on benefits, with the NHS, with virtually every public entity - spending some money on it would make it better and probably make a profit by making it better because when things are better people like them more and spend more on them (or conversely, for the NHS, are generally healthier and spend less on them).

But tories.

And also. We are a nation of immigrants. gently caress the USA, Britain is a nation of immigrants. Every nation outside of central loving Africa is in the end, a nation of immigrants one way or another. Unless you're able to trace your descent right back to the first celtic settlers who chased mammoth across the channel back when it wasn't full of water... I hate to break it to you but you're a descendant of immigrants. Immigration is what made Britain great.

Strictly speaking immigration is what made Britain Britain, whether you think that's great or not is up for debate.

Statistically speaking a lot of the tories are probably descended from immigrants, which is a very compelling argument against immigration.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Looks like corbs is running things still.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33745731

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Immigration is what made Britain great.
It's also what made Britain massive shits to half the world though. I doubt they'd have acted the same way towards Ireland if it weren't for the Norman conquest.

That's not really comparable to a few people not wanting to get murdered at home and a sign that says Polski Sklep though.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Mirror posted:

9) Every single refugee in Calais would be a better British citizen than Nigel Farage

Ooohh buurrrrrrrn.

friendlyNeurotoxin
Sep 14, 2011

Super High-school Level Slacker
Quick addition to the learning to code chat from earlier.
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/ is a fantastic resource and they include the book online for free.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guavanaut posted:

You're right. Maybe if the press keeps comparing asylum seekers to animals on the same page as defending the rights of animals, they will eventually start defending the rights of asylum seekers via the transitive property. It's a long shot, but it just might work.

Not quite. As a resident of Kent in the area affected by the strikes (and lets be honest, the strikes are what are causing the disruption, the migrants are simply taking advantage of the situation) I can confirm from various conversations and hear say that the most popular solution at present is shooting them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ludicro posted:

Not quite. As a resident of Kent in the area affected by the strikes (and lets be honest, the strikes are what are causing the disruption, the migrants are simply taking advantage of the situation) I can confirm from various conversations and hear say that the most popular solution at present is shooting them.

Shooting the strikers hardly seems productive, then you'll just end up with more disruption.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

Shooting the strikers hardly seems productive, then you'll just end up with more disruption.

My post was badly written, the migrants are the ones who would be shot. The popular opinion about the strikes is to reroute the ferries to other nearby ports and cut Calais out entirely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The solution, as always, is to shoot the root cause of the problem.

I'm not sure what international capitalism looks like, but I bet it would look nice mounted on my wall.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Can we release the lions in Kent instead?

Also, it was funny in that Corbae fanfiction how the idea that a politician might have principles and stick to them, instead of saying what the focus group told them to say today, is so alien to them that they think he must just like being contrary.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This is a nice article, but as a counterpoint every single one of these people can claim asylum in France. Presumably it is possible that once an asylum claim is approved to obtain EU citizenship and then come over through legal channels?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

Can we release the lions in Kent instead?
Good idea. I'd vote for it.

XMNN posted:

Also, it was funny in that Corbae fanfiction how the idea that a politician might have principles and stick to them, instead of saying what the focus group told them to say today, is so alien to them that they think he must just like being contrary.
It's quite possible that he's both. It's a lot more fun being contrary when your opponents are complete bastards though, so I think he would make a far better leader of the opposition than any of the other three. I'm not sure he even wants to be PM, but if he can drag the window left during the next 5 years that would be a great thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ludicro posted:

This is a nice article, but as a counterpoint every single one of these people can claim asylum in France. Presumably it is possible that once an asylum claim is approved to obtain EU citizenship and then come over through legal channels?

I'm fairly sure that's not how asylum works, it's significantly different than regular migration.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Ludicro posted:

'These people'? That's some quality othering you're doing there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ludicro posted:

My post was badly written, the migrants are the ones who would be shot. The popular opinion about the strikes is to reroute the ferries to other nearby ports and cut Calais out entirely.

I know, I was being silly. Also it is somewhat difficult to know at the moment whether strikers or immigrants are more evil in the eyes of the public.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm fairly sure that's not how asylum works, it's significantly different than regular migration.

To be honest I have been looking at information as to how the process works and its not especially clear. I'm making presumptions on the basis that there must be some kind of transition to EU citizenship once granted with an indefinite leave to remain (or whatever the French/continental equivalent is), which would allow freedom of movement.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

'These people'? That's some quality othering you're doing there.

Referring to people as people is othering now is it? Would you prefer I referred to them as those people, or perhaps just migrants? Maybe swarm or horde would be more appropriate?

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
They want to come here because the French are failed cultural imperialists who treat even their third and fourth generation immigrants like human poo poo, let alone new ones that can't speak French. Just look at the outskirts of Paris.

Britain is a much better country than France and we should be proud that people are willing to swim shipping routes to get from there to here.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

James Delingpole is a loving wanker, discuss.

e: I suppose I should add some context, he was just on any questions on R4 ... that's all I need to say really. Who is this loving arsehole to have opinions on things? Why is this tosser on the loving radio? I don't claim to be some great mind but at least I'm of average intelligence and would attempt to talk some common sense.

Very confused.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 1, 2015

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ludicro posted:

To be honest I have been looking at information as to how the process works and its not especially clear. I'm making presumptions on the basis that there must be some kind of transition to EU citizenship once granted with an indefinite leave to remain (or whatever the French/continental equivalent is), which would allow freedom of movement.

It depends on the country, but sometimes the only way to get indefinite leave to remain on asylum is to marry and have kids. Otherwise it's only until the conditions in the country of origin stabilise, i.e. it's not 'indefinite'.

Like I know some asylants from Armenia who have been around for more than 19 years and still can't travel freely (you can get a special one-time permit to travel though). This is in France, in the UK you can get it after 5 years maybe?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 1, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

James Delingpole is a loving wanker, discuss.
"James Mark Court Delingpole is an English columnist and novelist who has written for a number of publications, including: Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Times, The Daily Telegraph, and The Spectator."
I don't know what specific event you're talking about, but I'd be tempted to agree with you.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Added some context. The man is a loving moron.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Guavanaut posted:

"James Mark Court Delingpole is an English columnist and novelist who has written for a number of publications, including: Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Times, The Daily Telegraph, and The Spectator."
I don't know what specific event you're talking about, but I'd be tempted to agree with you.

His Telegraph bio begins, 'James Delingpole is a writer, journalist and broadcaster who is right about everything', which tells you most of what you need to know about him.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Dellingpole is a renowned moron and climate change denier. Have a search on YouTube for clips from the edition of Horizon where he had a 'debate' with Nobel Prize winner Prof Sir Paul Nurse, an occasion Dellingpole later described as amounting to [his] 'intellectual rape'.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

It's quite possible that he's both. It's a lot more fun being contrary when your opponents are complete bastards though, so I think he would make a far better leader of the opposition than any of the other three. I'm not sure he even wants to be PM, but if he can drag the window left during the next 5 years that would be a great thing.

I think he's said he wouldn't want to be PM, but the fact is, he doesn't have to be - at least, not within possibilty till the next general election - if he's elected Labour leader, all he has to do is make the concept of electing a left wing Labour party more palatable to the general public (and to the Blairite party shitheads); he's not going to win with the press, as they're clearly stacked against him. It's going to be an up-hill struggle.

But , yeah, presenting actual opposition, and making it more politically acceptable would be fantastic.

[e]: Delingpole chat

quote:

Delingpole described himself "as a member of probably the most discriminated-against subsection in the whole of British society—the white, middle-aged, public-school-and-Oxbridge educated middle-class male,"

Poor discriminated WASP :qq:
wotta twat.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 1, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crashbee posted:

His Telegraph bio begins, 'James Delingpole is a writer, journalist and broadcaster who is right about everything', which tells you most of what you need to know about him.
I knew I'd seen his name come up recently, but couldn't place it. Turns out it was in something that I posted in the neoreactioary/dark-enlightenment thread.

Guavanaut posted:

The NRx Overton window:

e: Also :lol: at the fact that they don't have anything left of the SPLC. :ussr::anarchists:

He seems in good company. The prick.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Animals all look cute while people are generally ugly and steal your tv. There. I solved the case. Now shut the gently caress up about it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished a couple of hours manning the phones for the Corbyn campaign. drat near every labour member I called was super enthusiastic about Corbs, and even the people with doubts want to vote for him but are worried about his electability.

Now we're having a big Corbyn picnic in Russell Square. This campaign rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Is there jam?

• Locked thread