Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Something is very wrong about this...

Well, yeah, how does the top work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Well, yeah, how does the top work?

That's where you add the monster munch.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jre posted:

I think you are overselling the uk tech job market and underselling how hard it is to teach yourself programming. Also assuming you can even get a job you'll hit the no compsci degree ceiling very rapidly when trying to something that isn't a design agency living hell job.

Hello my degree is in history and I'm a senior software engineer. After a point your degree does not matter as long as you can do the job. The problem is more that most people dont really have an affinity for programming - not that they cant learn it at all, but doing it well takes a certain knack thats somewhat rare (or everyone would already be doing it and it would no longer pay well). Those of us who do tend to forget that i think.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 1, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My dad got a job coding COBOL with a music degree.

25 years ago.

He's still at that company.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Noxville posted:

Coding is hard to teach yourself if you don't have the aptitude but for entry level jobs particularly it's far more about solving problems than technical knowledge, and good places are looking for smart people first and foremost.

Perhaps I just got lucky but at the interview for my first programming job a couple of years ago they were far more concerned that I could suggest ideas for structuring a database or quickly come up with an algorithm (they like to ask for one to figure out if a word is a palindrome) than whether I knew what null coalescing was or the difference between IEnumerable and IQueryable in C# since these are both things that can easily be taught. I had more technical knowledge than the average person but probably significantly less than the average ComSci graduate yet I had more than caught up after only two or three months of actually doing stuff.

I imagine there's a lot of people who could do it but either don't think they can so never bother or don't have enough help/motivation to get over that initial hump. Wish there were better programs to help people learn because it's only going to keep increasing in importance.

How did you get from nothing to that interview? I used to be into programming but I gave it up for some reason. I keep thinking even if I can't get back into it as a hobby I should suck it up for job prospects but I can't imagine myself being able to do it competently enough for anything let alone a job. I'm not sure about databases but apart from Python's .reverse() apparently not applying to strings the palindrome thing seemed like child's play. Now I just sit around and get bitter whenever someone talks about success in the field. :smithicide:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think I might have asked it in a previous thread but idk and nobody can probably answer, but has a single tory MP/minister said anything about the fact the population is getting increasingly old while they're also cutting the welfare bill meaning there is no money to pay for them and by loving over young people they won't have houses for these elderly people to live in?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Noxville posted:

Coding is hard to teach yourself

Coding is hard in general if you don't update yourself often as I've almost completely forgotten about BASIC, Java and parts of C because there has been no opportunity for me to use them because of the uni course that I was on which meant learning and having some sort of previous experience with C++ which I wasn't taught at College.

Feels like my HND was worth poo poo and I just fell almost into a downward spiral once things started stacking up alongside me while also moving to the next year because the previous year I was on was mostly stuff that I learned before back at HNC. So imagine playing catch up with the previous weeks you missed out because of the courses not being clear enough and having to try learn and finish assignments with by yourself and team-based exercises while knowing no one. University was not a great experience for me then it should of been and I just lost about almost every enthusasim and motivation to continue learning or achieving something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sql is piss easy to learn and can probably help find a job

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Hello my degree is in history and I'm a senior software engineer. After a point your degree does not matter as long as you can do the job. The problem is more that most people dont really have an affinity for programming - not that they cant learn it at all, but doing it well takes a certain knack thats somewhat rare (or everyone would already be doing it and it would no longer pay well). Those of us who do tend to forget that i think.

I like to think I'm pretty smart, but my brain just does not work in the same way as my DevOps Engineer partner. He has a serious maths brain and can work those logical problems that you need really well. Maybe I could learn to do it, but it's not my strength. I always think it's a bit weird in UKMT how people are so quick to suggest programming as an 'easy' career choice for anyone struggling to find work. As well as probably not being very good at it, I personally would find that kind of work pretty dull... if it fit my strengths and interests I'm pretty sure I'd be doing (something like) it already?

Then again, said partner has zero degree altogether, working your way up from entry level jobs really pays off in IT if you struggled with uni. It's definitely a profession where hands on experience and specific certifications rather than generic degrees can go in your favour.

Jose posted:

I think I might have asked it in a previous thread but idk and nobody can probably answer, but has a single tory MP/minister said anything about the fact the population is getting increasingly old while they're also cutting the welfare bill meaning there is no money to pay for them and by loving over young people they won't have houses for these elderly people to live in?

Well you see this would probably require them to admit they don't have a clue what they are doing and/or are only acting in their own or other rich people's best interests. So I doubt it.

Although I don't quite get what you mean in that loving over the young of today means no houses for old people?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well I assume that by cutting the welfare bill they expect old people to move back in with their family, who thanks to other welfare slashes are also hosed for somewhere to live

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

Feels like my HND was worth poo poo and I just fell almost into a downward spiral once things started stacking up alongside me while also moving to the next year because the previous year I was on was mostly stuff that I learned before back at HNC. So imagine playing catch up with the previous weeks you missed out because of the courses not being clear enough and having to try learn and finish assignments with by yourself and team-based exercises while knowing no one. University was not a great experience for me then it should of been and I just lost about almost every enthusasim and motivation to continue learning or achieving something.

If it helps, aforementioned partner who is now a devops engineer did an HND, tried a uni degree and got frustrated with it being repetitive and dropped out. After a bit of random stuff he got a few entry level IT positions and worked his way up. By all accounts loads of his jobs have included sufficient downtime and manager support to study and get certifications during work time, and I reckon being able to apply on the job worked wonders for him. He seriously started at the shittest level (laptop repair guy, ,PC world technician etc.) but it didn't take him that many years to work his way up to a pretty good wage.

Jose posted:

Well I assume that by cutting the welfare bill they expect old people to move back in with their family, who thanks to other welfare slashes are also hosed for somewhere to live

In my head it always works the other way around, young people can't afford to move out or end up moving back in with their parents/grandparents etc. when things get tough. Thereby possibly subsidising old people to stay in their big old expensive houses.

Robot Mil fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 1, 2015

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Hoping this link works. Corbae's rally tonight in Liverpool:
https://www.facebook.com/adam.white.3517/videos/10206320217140646/?fref=nf

Tenner bets the other three wouldn't know the words!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

They are explicitly not cutting welfare for old people despite it being half the welfare budget because old people vote (Tory).

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Kaislioc posted:

How did you get from nothing to that interview?
read books
write projects

the key to becoming a good software dev is the same as the key to becoming good at anything else: practice. immerse yourself in the field and work on problems you find challenging.

Robot Mil posted:

I always think it's a bit weird in UKMT how people are so quick to suggest programming as an 'easy' career choice for anyone struggling to find work.
the reason i harp on about it isn't because it's 'easy', but because the barriers to entry and advancement are far lower than those for any other professional career. you don't need an expensive degree or specific training: you just sit down with a book and an editor and hammer away for as many hours as you can give. it isn't easy and it isn't for everyone, but (as noxville was saying earlier) there are a lot of people out there that are suited to it but don't realise it's an option.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 1, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noxville posted:

I imagine there's a lot of people who could do it but either don't think they can so never bother or don't have enough help/motivation to get over that initial hump. Wish there were better programs to help people learn because it's only going to keep increasing in importance.

Extreme0 posted:

Coding is hard in general if you don't update yourself often as I've almost completely forgotten about BASIC, Java and parts of C because there has been no opportunity for me to use them because of the uni course that I was on which meant learning and having some sort of previous experience with C++ which I wasn't taught at College.

In some regards one of the things that I've meant to get around to doing, but mostly didn't because I wanted to improve my own competence first, is making a guide to learning to code that worked for all skill levels with Wiki-like comments that allowed for people such as Extreme0 who know older foundations but might not necessarily know modern changes to add their learning experiences, so that anyone of any age level and experience could read through and see how things have changed for the better or worse.

Goon project?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's been a while since I looked at it, but isn't https://www.codecademy.com/ pretty easy access for all skill levels?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I remember when Space Raiders were luminous colours.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.codecademy.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=XHTML+1.0+Strict&group=0

Punishment: Guillotine.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I tought myself HTML/CSS, PHP, SQL, Javascript/jQuery and other web poo poo in the final semester of my history degree with no previous experience. Learning basic programming is drastically easier than it seems, it seemed like absolute magic to me before I started.

Kin posted:

It's been a while since I looked at it, but isn't https://www.codecademy.com/ pretty easy access for all skill levels?

I started with codecademy and it definitely helped me get my bearings, but once you get through with the basic tracts my advice would be to just start on your own project and whenever you have a question google it, which will lead you either to stackexchange and a youtube tutorial.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The latest in awful journalism from the Guardian: suicide jokes!

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

TinTower posted:

Oh. my. god. That is so phenomenally inappropriate!

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I smirked.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Zohar posted:

I smirked.

If you don't have compassion for Clegg, which is understandable, at least have compassion for the poor driver.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
I generally consider myself to be pretty politically correct and struggle with depression myself but I think Nick Clegg suicide jokes are funny

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's a funny caption.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It seems a bit much for the Guardian. Maybe more suited to some guy's edgy twitter account, or a hilarious comedy forum.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I thought that was a little funny, personally, I mean there's a difference between ":laffo: Clegg's life is poo poo" and " Suicide is cool & good, kill you're parents and then you're self".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not a Twat posted:

I generally consider myself to be pretty politically correct and struggle with depression myself but I think Nick Clegg suicide jokes are funny

Basically yeah. If you can't laugh about suicide you've clearly never had depression. Gallows humour is a thing for a reason.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How likely, from very likely to certain, do you guys think it is that they have a mix up with the leadership ballots and miss out like half the new sign ups.
Maybe I shouldn't have put "leftist extremism" as my reason for joining.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I've got similar misgivings about the drunken, sanctimonious wank I wrote on mine. I can only barely remember signing up. Most people wake up after a pissup in stranger's bed or come to streaked with piss and vomit with their wallet missing. I woke up a member of the labour party, which is probably more shameful. If Corbae doesn't win, doubly so.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

TinTower posted:

It could be suggesting he is considering which fine West End show to see that evening as he has to do far less work now than he did when he was Deputy PM.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

TinTower posted:

Yeah that's pretty poor form from the Guardian, but I bet Clegg's only trying to decide whether to vote for Cooper or Burnham.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33750628

Poll launched to find UK's favorite insect.

I propose the ant, but only the worker ones. The queens should abdicate.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

KKKlean Energy posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33750628

Poll launched to find UK's favorite insect.

I propose the ant, but only the worker ones. The queens should abdicate.
But without a queen the workers' lives are purposeless and they just wander around aimlessly until they die. Therefore, the 1% is necessary and plutocracy is good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Solitary Bee.

No gods, no masters, throw off the chains of your oppressors and own the means of production. Evolutionary Proletarianism Best Proletarianism.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Seeing as the fucker convinced me vote for him with the promise of electoral reform which he didn't deliver on then proceeded to suck a bunch of demi nazi's cocks for 5 years causing misery for millions of people the oval office can jump headfirst into a wood chipper as far as I'm concerned.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Seeing as the fucker convinced me vote for him with the promise of electoral reform which he didn't deliver on then proceeded to suck a bunch of demi nazi's cocks for 5 years causing misery for millions of people the oval office can jump headfirst into a wood chipper as far as I'm concerned.

This. Also some of you might stop being so painfully earnest! Black humour is a thing and is cool and good and often quite cathartic for those suffering by the thing being joked about. As long as it's actually funny it's all good.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
My uncle committed suicide and I found that moderately funny. The Americans have always been really candy assed about any sort of black humour and it's a shame young people here are absorbing that from their media.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It may be considered in moderate poor taste given the recent death of another prominent member of the liberal democrats who was suffering with depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I forgot Nick Clegg was a thing. He'll be a very tricky pub quiz question within a year.

• Locked thread