Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Rising Thunder is a Free to Play Giant Robot Fighting Game made by Radiant Entertainment.

The game is currently in Alpha, you can sign up by clicking here.

Here is a good systems primer for how to play:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IhWcJsBZcrZM71CLpb8WMrbaP4cyXqlBgrd2MKhNOS4/preview?sle=true

The project was led by Seth Killian, who Fighting Game fans may know from his work on SF4 and his presence as a commentator at the Evo tournament series. Tom and Tony Cannon also helped with the game; they are co-founders of Evo and Tony Cannon is the developer of the GGPO Online middleware.

The primary design goal of the game is to make Fighting Games accessible to people new to the genre. There are no fireball/dragon punch/spinning piledriver/etc inputs. All special moves are tied to a single button press, as are supers. Special moves have cooldown timers, similar to skills in a MOBA/ARTS game.

The game is online only, and currently the Alpha only has Ranked Match mode.

Rising Thunder uses the latest version of GGPO. GGPO is a piece of software that implements online using rollbacks (or a combination of rollbacks and delay) rather than delaying inputs to wait for latency. Long story short, fighting games with GGPO tend to have a much smoother online experience than games with delay-based netcode.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Characters!

Chel is this game's Shoto, meaning she plays similar to Ryu or Ken from Street Fighter. She has a very strong fireball and invincible uppercut, as well as good combo potential. Great beginner character.

Edge is a ninja-like character, with good combos and fast movement. He has a run move that allows him to bypass fireballs, and a strong invincible move. Overall very versatile and well-rounded.

Dauntless is a boxer, very similar to Dudley from Street Fighter. She has very good high/low mixups and the ability to cancel special moves into each other to apply pressure. Her damage is below average, however.

Talos is a grappler, similar to Zangief. He has a command throw special, and a throw super. He also has an armored step kick that is very good for getting out of pressure. He also has a vacuum move, similar to Iron Tager's magnetism.

Crow is a fast moving setups character. He can throw discs out on the screen very rapidly to lock the opponent down and set up powerful mixups and resets. He can also turn himself completely invisible (only on the opponent's screen). However, he doesn't have any invincible moves, so he can struggle with defense.

Vlad is a Russian robot with the ability to fly. He can fly cancel his moves, setting up very difficult-to-block mixups and resets. He also has a strong fireball that can be done in the air. He relies on offensive momentum since he has fairly weak defensive and anti-air options. Also he is piloted by a dog.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Link this somewhere in OP some alpha guy posted it to Reddit day one of alpha.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IhWcJsBZcrZM71CLpb8WMrbaP4cyXqlBgrd2MKhNOS4/preview?sle=true

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
BO3 ranked matches and Dauntless not having inexplicable robot breasts is very good.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WetHkYVtw

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

https://www.reddit.com/r/risingthunder/comments/3f8fgk/biggest_and_longest_salty_rage_ever_seen_on/ctmd9ms

that being said, id like to welcome Moba players to the world of fighting games!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Needs to be in da OP.

I signed up for the alpha last night, got in today, played a handful of matches. Game is fun. Just have your own music playing or something because that one song gets old really quick.

Also I imagine it'll run well on plenty of hardware. My setup is getting kinda old -- i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz, GTX 760, 8GB RAM -- and I was getting 60 FPS in training mode and 40-50 FPS in matches with everything maxed. Turning AA and shadows down to "High" (from "Very High") netted a solid 60 FPS at all times.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
TZEO6-DU5RA-VUNI8-3SIZD-4PK7B
1D2EP-5G84S-DLYSG-M670J-7V3BB

I can't imagine there's anybody left who wants to get in but hasn't received an invite but there's some codes.

The game is surprisingly fun but the walk/run speeds are getting to me. If they ramped them up it would make the neutral game a lot more fun.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

rocket USA posted:

I can't imagine there's anybody left who wants to get in but hasn't received an invite but there's some codes.

The game is surprisingly fun but the walk/run speeds are getting to me. If they ramped them up it would make the neutral game a lot more fun.

Took the first one, thanks.

Wasn't interested in the game when I first saw it but then I saw the character with anti air grabs.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Here's the guys' twitter posts, don't look if you want to keep his identity secret to yourself:

http://i.imgur.com/DFpPvTh.png

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yo I have no interest in this game but the wonderful rage it has generated in its short life means its existence is entirely justified god bless

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

rocket USA posted:

Took the second one, I'm excited to play even though I'm pretty mediocre at fighting games.

Midnight Shakes
Apr 10, 2009
I got a couple of keys as well, if anyone wants to try this game:

WR1ST-87F61-PMX88-DW7BH-RMZT6
NFD3Q-JBJFP-F33CX-R10ZN-Q8632

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

My laptop is poo poo but I was able to get into training and goof around for a bit. My initial impression is that it is expectedly unsatisfying to do a cool combo and then realize that almost all of it was just a single button press. Smash avoids that by being based on frenetic and difficult platform movement, but in a game with standard fighting game movement I see everything being that simple ultimately hurting its longevity.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got codes too:

9NMDD-TITRA-8B7T4-O3R12-GIZX4
AO8QP-MRZEB-R0Q61-9CJYL-DSZXV

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My laptop is poo poo but I was able to get into training and goof around for a bit. My initial impression is that it is expectedly unsatisfying to do a cool combo and then realize that almost all of it was just a single button press. Smash avoids that by being based on frenetic and difficult platform movement, but in a game with standard fighting game movement I see everything being that simple ultimately hurting its longevity.

The Kinetic Advance (roman cancel/FADC-like) stuff is very fun in combos, you should mess around with that.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

The Kinetic Advance (roman cancel/FADC-like) stuff is very fun in combos, you should mess around with that.

Worth noting: You don't get much scaling back from kinetic cancelling, although you do get another juggle point - a good use KAs is to turn a hit which won't result in much damage into a good hit - KA early to get into position for an ideal combo.

For supers, right now the ideal starter is ~2 heavy hits, then super, then whatever finisher you can get on the end.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

I did. That was the exception to the "mostly single button presses" thing. However, that then leads into another issue the game has, which is that the scaling is ridiculous.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
4PZ59-S4IEF-FY792-C8YMB-5C6H9

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I did. That was the exception to the "mostly single button presses" thing. However, that then leads into another issue the game has, which is that the scaling is ridiculous.

i think its like pretty close to sf4's rules: it just subtracts 10% per move i think?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nativity In Black posted:

4PZ59-S4IEF-FY792-C8YMB-5C6H9

Claimed. Thank you!

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Here's spooky playing right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i think its like pretty close to sf4's rules: it just subtracts 10% per move i think?

SF4 goes 100-100-80-70-60.... etc. This game does 100-80-60-40.... I believe. This isn't a game about long combos though, most of the time Kinetic Advance is better for a reset, or for maximizing a confirm.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

one of the cannon bros said they found the bug causing the disconnect issue and it will be patched next week

seems that every time I win I get DCed :(

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Yeah I cant connect to poo poo.
Game says its a firewall issue but I disabled the whole thing and tat didn't change anything.

Despite never connecting to a match my record says I'm 3-2 and ranked me up for it.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Good mechanics guide someone did too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3sqq-DipIA

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The game only displays this for me. It's completely unresponsive. I don't know what the problem is.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

This game is really fun and the fact that scrubs get super angry over their precious execution barriers being gone now makes it even better.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The Gorp posted:

Yeah I cant connect to poo poo.
Game says its a firewall issue but I disabled the whole thing and tat didn't change anything.

Despite never connecting to a match my record says I'm 3-2 and ranked me up for it.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Issue I was talking about is between matches in a set. Ranked is always best of 3. In the last 10 tries I've had one set go to completion.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Genetic Toaster posted:

This game is really fun and the fact that scrubs get super angry over their precious execution barriers being gone now makes it even better.

can you explain to me what this means in laymans terms? i'm not really in to the whole "fighting game" thing.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I tried this game and I didn't find it very compelling.

It was probably because normals don't cancel into each other, they link like it's 1970.

Plus the whole "you have three one-button specials and that's it" too.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Zand posted:

can you explain to me what this means in laymans terms? i'm not really in to the whole "fighting game" thing.

In other fighting games, special moves and certain combos require a certain amount of dexterity and timing to pull off (you need to do a variety of motions with the joystick to do certain special moves, such as quarter circles, half circles and full circles, and even stranger ones like triangle charge motions, as well as timing them perfectly so they execute within a combo). The best players would be ones with superior hand dexterity who are able to pull off complex motions and button timings consistently with minimal error. Here special moves are all just one button, removing a supposed "execution barrier" separating strong players from the best players.

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 1, 2015

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I'm not super into this game right now, but I'd love to see where it is in six months. Dauntless is cool. Please someone take these codes.

HUZ5J-GI1ZC-09JYX-42EP4-TR9GR
3U8V6-DYZRM-GF3OM-EHL7S-Q4LHH

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Hello, I am here to throw more codes into the pile.

0PBYC-7YDPU-FUPWH-HB4MN-JRW0D
AK3O2-MYBDO-WXOIL-ODR2O-TIW5U

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here's some codes as well

PB7Y2-9LGZD-HANAG-OU4L3-QMAEN
BFXUT-8DGY6-PM6PY-YDSZW-JZ4AH

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Seriously tho why did they put links into a super simple accessible fighter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
this game's one button special system is fine but there's advantages to the inputs from other games too. peace.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

Seriously tho why did they put links into a super simple accessible fighter

Links are seriously baby easy in this game, this isn't SF4. Also all fighting games have links.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Endorph posted:

this game's one button special system is fine but there's advantages to the inputs from other games too. peace.

What do you feel are some of the advantages of having inputs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
This game makes SF 4 seem like Marvel in terms of game speed

• Locked thread