Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Hey here are some keys for those who don't have one yet for some reason

Does anyone else get random frame drops regardless of graphical settings? It's kinda annoying when you're trying to find links and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Hey here are some keys for those who don't have one yet for some reason

Does anyone else get random frame drops regardless of graphical settings? It's kinda annoying when you're trying to find links and stuff

Game runs pretty smooth for me. What videocard do you have?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zand posted:

This sentiment is stupid.. i didn't know it was possible to be objectively wrong with a preference but you're pioneering a new frontier with rubbish opinions like this

Mortal Kombat is the only good fighting game series. DBZ Budokai 3 is a good casual fighter.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Mortal Kombat is the only good fighting game series. DBZ Budokai 3 is a good casual fighter.

Now I know you're trolling.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

teagone posted:

Game runs pretty smooth for me. What videocard do you have?

AMD Radeon HD 7950 by Sapphire
which is still a reasonably powerful card, enough to run most recent games on high settings at least.

e: vvv Yeah that's what I figured. It's okay though, they're still in alpha after all!

Captain Flame Guy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 1, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Flame Guy posted:

AMD Radeon HD 7950 by Sapphire
which is still a reasonably powerful card, enough to run most recent games on high settings at least.

Hmm, my guess would be the game isn't as optimized for AMD cards at the moment, compared to nvidia (I have a GTX 970).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
well, played the game for three days now and I think that's more than enough. hopefully this game gets way, way better but a lot of my issues with it seem to be the game working as intended so who knows

for now, all I know is that if I wanted to play a dumb and more combo focused version of sf4 with framerate drops I can just play ASB or strekken

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

:vince:
seth please name the next character CHRISTIAN to make this full circle

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Remove Edge! This character is so retardedly good that I get physical pain when I see I have to play one (almost every single match).

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 1, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Yeah Edge seems kinda overpowered to a non-fighting games expert such as myself. I like using him to learn the game though: I can only blame myself when I lose

Talos looks fun though I'll probably play him soon

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Rising Thunder - Hyenas Laughing at Hyenas

Minorkos posted:

I like using him to learn the game though: I can only blame myself when I lose

You're a pretty cool guy. Keep up the good work.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
LI Joe's been streaming a lot of Vlad, and he agrees the character has more issues than the rest of the cast. Apparently he has insider information that the next build of Vlad is gonna have a lot more going for him though, which implies that the devs are aware that Vlad's not so good right now.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I always end up maining the poo poo tiers.
Is Vlad Getting a respectable low? More fuel?
The ability to air block? A crossup jet cancel of any kind?
The ability to fly over anti airs without hitting the top of the screen?

I thirst.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 2, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I have to whore the top tiers because I suck at fightmans.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
I figured out a way to do two flight cancels in a combo with Vlad. You have a lot of advantage after a low flight H, so you can delay your follow-up ground H long enough to get your flight meter recover enough for a second cancel. So:

H xx flight H, *slight delay*, H xx S1 xx kinetic dash forward, H xx flight H, H xx S3

For 325 damage 670 stun. Cancel S3 into super, sweep for 436 damage. I think he's pretty strong! Kinetic jump cancel S1 into jump H or crossup for mixups.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I still think i prefer barrier Vlad just for the fact that his combos are already long and hit hard, not getting ruined by better characters is more the issue.

Here's a code for anyone still looking.

OI79C-BQ39M-QGPPU-3T52Y-273O3

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

I still think i prefer barrier Vlad just for the fact that his combos are already long and hit hard, not getting ruined by better characters is more the issue.

Here's a code for anyone still looking.

OI79C-BQ39M-QGPPU-3T52Y-273O3

Kinetic Advance is definitely superior for Vlad. Comboing off of throws is strong, as well as making DPs safe on block. Another good usage is to dash cancel a fireball to set up a jumpin when they block the fireball.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I often jump follow a fireball anyway and am kind of sick of spending a meter when i didn't want to use it.
His damage off throw and safe dp are amazing though, much better than taking a hit off the dp and spending the bar to not die.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
What can Vlad do off throw besides super?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
It's just a super.

Also as somone who is a platinum ranked Vlad, I can say with a minor degree of psuedo-credibility that the sucker doesn't have one advantageous matchup.
Crow is the possible exception, which is weird - But Dauntless can punish your special 3 with a jab on block, Chel has better normals than you as well as a better ranged game, and Talos is a unique problem.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Newbie match results. 2 losses, 2 win, one fail to connect.

Edge, carbon 2: Painful loss.
Chel, Carbon 2 Chel: Win, close matches where I'd win the 3rd out of three. Lots and lots and lots of fireball spam in the later half.
Edge, Bronze 2: painful loss. I guess I made him mad when I pulled a last second win one round, so he opened the next with a 17 hit combo including his ultimate :staredog:
Edge, Bronze 1: Match waiting... eventually booted back to menu.
Vlad, Bronze1: Oh my god :buddy: I won, then he won, then I pulled a last second win out of my rear end. Actually felt like I half knew what I was doing and I wished I could tell them how cool he was.

I was using Talos for the A: high health. B: conceptual simplicity of "My special moves are grabs." While I know you can't chain moves with the shoulder rush, I liked it more in the training because longer reach than the lightning yank.

I love his air grab, but my reaction is often just too grandpa slow to take advantage of it when they try to jump over me from up close :downs:

I tried using the kinietic guard thing but edge would just thwack me anyways without sending them flying without them without even stopping their combo. I expect I am Doing It Wrong, or just had bad luck with timing.

PS: Vlad is so awesome :allears: I suspect I only did so well because captain air grab is probably supposed to be the hard counter for "flies a lot", even with my bad reactions, but Vlad is super cool.

It did help that I was starting to click on things like "Oh yeah, charge my ground grab to catch a landing dragonpunch" and stuff that fight as well. So that fight was encouraging because it felt like I was playing a cool funtimes fighting robots game instead of just flailing about.

EDIT: Dauntles's prediction? Paaaain. ow. Silver tier Edge still beat me but at least I got my wins in because he didn't seem to know how to combo for the entire fight.

Followed by more pro edge. who ducks so often it looks like a graphics glitch, and by the time I can pull out my air grab for their jumps they are already on the ground stabbing in the dick again. And then another pro edge.

Is Talos's Back+medium NOT an overhead? I thought it would be but ducking edges are able to block that purple glowing downward swipe just fine.

Moral victory edit: I started handing a silver Chell their rear end, and suddenly the match lost connection :unsmith:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 2, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Talos back medium is used for its combo potential after forward heavy and as a move with vacuum effect.

A proper talos 6H combo is:
Forward H -> Back M -> airgrab

Alternatively, you can go for a reset. Dont do the airgrab and hit/grab them as they land behind you. This is gimmicky and should be considered as a trick with high risk and reward.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there universal frame data yet, because I keep (out of habit) trying to punish with my super on people that whiff air attacks and that's clearly not punishable the last 50 times I tried.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tae posted:

Is there universal frame data yet, because I keep (out of habit) trying to punish with my super on people that whiff air attacks and that's clearly not punishable the last 50 times I tried.

I'm pretty sure there's just no trip guard since I have also tried the same thing and I THINK I've only been able to get it if their jump attack whiffs really close to the ground, so they're in recovery from that, but it may have just been when someone wasn't blocking because they thought it would hit. Hard to tell with sparse training options and no ability to play specific people to test.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Chel's crossup attack is rediculous holy poo poo. It's completely changes the jump arc.

Edit:

I found the best way to deal with Edge abusing the dash overhead/low mix up is to give him The Boot any time he slides since it beats both. I believe he can cancel mid dash which screws with that plan, I've been going for neutral jumps at the edge of his slide range to try and catch that out/discourage it.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 2, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I need to get some loving sleep, time flies when you are robot punching.

Is my newbie opinion wrong in thinking Talos's lightning pull move is complete garbage? Even if I DO hit with it, people hit ME with grabs or hits before I can chain a punch, grab (which is usually out of range to hit) or the clothesline, jesus.

Literally every Chell my newbie talos fights loses match connection the moment I win a fight, when it doesn't just fail to reach the match intro. At least it lets me pretend I'm "Good" if they are sore enough to quit over someone as bad as I am :v: Still plenty of Chells that kept kicking me out of bronze though.

As for Edge... I just don't got the reflexes to react to the fact he has an across the screen dash attack for both low AND overhead :smith: Throw in the fact he's got invulnerable uppercut to save his rear end if I try to close in while it's on cooldown, or fast hitspam to blow through my super armor and :suicide: At least with Crow I know it's basically my own drat fault for being terrible at dash stepping on demand or judging pixel perfect distance for not dealing with disc toss spam (coinflip if I nail em with my shoulder rush to zip in. Then another coinflip if they did the close one so I get hit in the head before I can clothesline). But I usually give crow hell in the process.

Fake Edit: I never knew Edge's dash special had a middle hit, until I looked at him in the training mode. I have LITERALLY never seen anyone use the heavy attack on his dash. Only his slide kick and overhead. Even someone as bad an ignorant at fighting games can see why.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 2, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Section Z posted:

Fake Edit: I never knew Edge's dash special had a middle hit, until I looked at him in the training mode. I have LITERALLY never seen anyone use the heavy attack on his dash. Only his slide kick and overhead. Even someone as bad an ignorant at fighting games can see why.

I use it as a combo ender sometimes. Justin Wong seems to like to end his combos with it. After the wall bounce if the hit lands, you can juggle with gathering storm.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, it's a combo extender. Part of what makes Edge so good is that he has a special move that's 4 different things at once. Run cancel, low, overhead, and combo extender all in one move. Nobody else really has anything like that right now.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The timing on the overhead and low followups for his run are really different. You can generally react and DP the overhead if he's just doing it randomly at neutral, though it doesn't really solve the slide being completely safe on block. A good edge will use them sparingly just to minimize his chances of being DP'd, and to increase their chances of hitting when he does use them. Bad Edges who do literally nothing but the two are easy.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Section Z posted:

Is my newbie opinion wrong in thinking Talos's lightning pull move is complete garbage? Even if I DO hit with it, people hit ME with grabs or hits before I can chain a punch, grab (which is usually out of range to hit) or the clothesline, jesus.

Its good for pulling someone back in at close range after a pressure string.
The issue is Talos doesn't have real pressure strings and it doesn't help him break distance.

You can multi-hit it to follow with a lariat for a knockdown. If it hits, don't try anything else. Something that may be interesting is that it MAY leave the opponent in a throwable state, so you could S3 into super maybe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The timing on the overhead and low followups for his run are really different. You can generally react and DP the overhead if he's just doing it randomly at neutral, though it doesn't really solve the slide being completely safe on block. A good edge will use them sparingly just to minimize his chances of being DP'd, and to increase their chances of hitting when he does use them. Bad Edges who do literally nothing but the two are easy.

While I get the theory of "no I frames rush = PUNISH :buddy:", my reaction time on it is dumb idiot levels which is at least 50% my problem with dealing with the attack. Also since at the time I was playing Talos doesn't have a DP anyways, and the overhead rush is multihit so has interrupted my attempts to heavy kick many times due to my Being Bad and bad luck soooooo.

At least non multihit DP's I've been having off and on luck with Superguarding into a grab in general against various enemies, I just keep botching the timing for "How long until super guard kicks in" against people who will just automatically DP when they get up no matter what (Hindsight now that typed: WHY I DIDN'T I BLOCK THEN GRAB INSTEAD)

The Gorp posted:

Its good for pulling someone back in at close range after a pressure string.
The issue is Talos doesn't have real pressure strings and it doesn't help him break distance.

You can multi-hit it to follow with a lariat for a knockdown. If it hits, don't try anything else. Something that may be interesting is that it MAY leave the opponent in a throwable state, so you could S3 into super maybe.

I've managed to grab people with my super directly after my shoulder charge when I skip the lariat. So either those were Bad Players letting me get away with it, or just another reason for me to dislike the lightning yoink. I kept trying things other than the lariat with the lightning because ive seen it described as "you can chain other stuff into this" so I thought that was supposed to be the point/advantage of the move :downs:

I do appreciate all the advice to my ignorant self though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 2, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
The could jump, reversal or otherwise to get out of it.
They stay blocking because they expect the folowup. Good players can wait for the second followup, realize the pause and then get out though.

I'm not saying not to use it, because its good.
I'm saying its not as amazing of a tool as it is proving to be. Grapplers in fighters tend to devour new players who don't know how to deal with their poo poo.
A few pages back I was furious that Vlad has no answer to Talos boot.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Having a lot of fun actually being able to play a zoning character (my execution always limited me to big heavy button-press mans before). I obviously still have a long way to go, but unlike the completely newbie Chel's I can at least follow up my DP with a sweep sometimes. Sadly I'm having the connection issues so I'm probably 20% to get a 3-round set with people.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Can't play this game until I order my new graphics card but until then here is a key for aspiring robits:

TO8UH-VJFBN-3M5VH-R55QH-1P6Z2

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Dauntles's jab punishes Vlads special 3.
Supers can't punish that, that's loving horrible.

Also jab scaling into super is the most painful thing in the world, she gets 1/3rd hp bar from jab scaling.
Is this intended? No other character can pull this off.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I don't know if I like the cooldown system. There's a lot of times I try to do an uppercut or something and it turns out there was 0.3 seconds left on the cooldown and I eat poo poo. It's really hard to keep track of the cooldown. I'm guessing if you put like 30 hours into a character, you'll eventually know exactly when it's going to come off cooldown, but still. I think I prefer the simple Mortal Kombat style inputs over the cooldown system

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
I've started up #risingthunder on IRC for anyone interested on being salty with each other over chat.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Minorkos posted:

I don't know if I like the cooldown system. There's a lot of times I try to do an uppercut or something and it turns out there was 0.3 seconds left on the cooldown and I eat poo poo. It's really hard to keep track of the cooldown. I'm guessing if you put like 30 hours into a character, you'll eventually know exactly when it's going to come off cooldown, but still. I think I prefer the simple Mortal Kombat style inputs over the cooldown system

Dash cancel more. It removes like 2 seconds or something from all cd's every time you do.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Draynar posted:

Dash cancel more. It removes like 2 seconds or something from all cd's every time you do.

I do but it's still annoying and hard to keep track of. It gets especially difficult when the game lags and slows down a bit, changing the cooldown timers a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Finally the honorable MMO player has an advantage over FGC scum.

• Locked thread