Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gavok posted:

In the afterlife, Morton Downey Jr. just poo poo himself in terror and he doesn't know why.

This was my first exposure to Roddy as a kid and even though I have no idea who Morton was I loved it.

"I didn't know your girlfriend was homeless!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

therock posted:

RIP legend. I first met this wrestling icon when I was 12yrs old when he was wrestling my pops the WWE. For weeks and weeks after that meeting I would have my mom set up a video camera in the kitchen as I would "become" Hot Rod and mimmic and emulate his every word, style, swag, heat, cool cockiness and all delivered with his classic smile (and my awful 12yr old afro).He was a huge influence on me as a kid and an even bigger one when I became The Rock in the WWE. Thank you Roddy for all the talks, all the stories (especially the crazy ones about my grandfather and grandmother😂) all the advice and most importantly.. all the memories of you entertaining us fans. You're missed my friend. Heaven just got a lil' rowdier... Rest in love ~ DJ

rondarousey posted:

Thank you for the name.... And so much more.... Will do it justice and do you proud tomorrow.... This one's for you Roddy....

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
betche is like three times deader than she already was. It will be a touching tribute

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Critical posted:

This was my first exposure to Roddy as a kid and even though I have no idea who Morton was I loved it.

I'd seen Roddy before, but yeah I had no clue who Morton was but they did a great job of building up what a douchebag he was, and then Roddy comes out and pulls out that fire extinguisher... :munch:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://instagram.com/p/50bZxhoh0d/]

[url=https://instagram.com/p/50l2UsBEal/]

Is it just me or does everyone else think The Rock should quit calling himself DJ? Also Ronda is gonna shoot a promo in ring entirely in Spanish because that's what you do in Brazil while making her opponent submit and make the entire crowd boo and wish for her death. Roddy would be proud.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

gently caress this gay earth :smith:

I was just thinking about They Live a few hours ago. Somehow I've seen that film a million times but never get around to watching any of the popular blockbusters of the last few years.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Jerusalem posted:

I'd seen Roddy before, but yeah I had no clue who Morton was but they did a great job of building up what a douchebag he was, and then Roddy comes out and pulls out that fire extinguisher... :munch:

I read a good story about that one. Apparently the fire extinguisher was dummied to do a relatively harmless blast, but Rod swapped it with a real one when no one was looking, and kind of smothered Morton with so much CO2 that he couldn't breathe. He was also actually going to smash Morton with the can until Gorilla Monsoon screamed "RODDY NO!"

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Dream and Piper within the last two months :smith:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Dream and Piper within the last two months :smith:

Havin Fatal Fourways with Macho Man and Eddie. :unsmith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49NLNHdp2Co

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Piper's reaction to winning the ic title from the Mountie is probably the most pure emotion I've seen in the ring.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

betche is like three times deader than she already was. It will be a touching tribute

Reminder that Beche already made fun of Ronda's father, who committed suicide when she was twelve. We may find out if armbars can actually be fatal.

Jiro posted:

Is it just me or does everyone else think The Rock should quit calling himself DJ? Also Ronda is gonna shoot a promo in ring entirely in Spanish because that's what you do in Brazil while making her opponent submit and make the entire crowd boo and wish for her death. Roddy would be proud.

They speak Portugese in Brazil, not Spanish.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Reminder that Beche already made fun of Ronda's father, who committed suicide when she was twelve. We may find out if armbars can actually be fatal.

:thejoke: I'm aware. I meant it as a heel tactic to make the crowd frothing mad like Roddy would back in the day.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

:negative:

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

fatherdog posted:

That's the point.

Edit: gently caress, too slow

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 1, 2015

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for posting the videos. This brings me back to the magical days of wrestling. :)

Oh god I forgot how weird the cartoon was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRaX05ad_14

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
So when Macho Man died it was lovely because I became a fan as an adult. Same with Dusty.

But Piper was my guy as a kid. So this is bullshit. This is such bullshit.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

One of my favorite bits of wrestling memorabilia:

And Piper had my favorite track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRNKkrVW5M

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

A went to count how many people are dead in that pic and realized most of them are still alive, which at this point I think is the more surprising statistic

Edit: okay recounting I still think more than 50% are still alive but it's a lot closer than I thought

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 1, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, what? What the gently caress, man.

-me, out loud, verbatim, seeing this thread

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

The best part was after that mission, you could call Roddy up to fight with you at any time. He'd even have conversations with other people too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5CsIvOlW2M
[Skip to 5:53]

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Roddy beat cancer more than once? Not that this makes it any less tragic but that really takes it out of people.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
just gently caress everything i can't loving take this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Didn't Roddy beat cancer more than once? Not that this makes it any less tragic but that really takes it out of people.

nah just once the other time was a rumor

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

epitasis posted:

nah just once the other time was a rumor

Ah okay

gently caress cancer for real IMHO

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can we put a car outside Hacksaw's house please

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can we put a car outside Hacksaw's house please

In 35 years Hacksaw will still be around and still wrestling. He'll look exactly the same, and still be exactly as over as he has always been.

It's incredible and a little unsettling to boot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress everything. The Network better be full of Piper stuff tomorrow.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

let us always remember everything he did before 1995 and forget everything after

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

And the only man in the world who can rock a kilt has died. RIP.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
My favorite "signature hold" of all time may well still be the simple elegance of Roddy Piper poking someone in the eyes. The buildup, the anticipation, and the timing was always exemplary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64vHLuUkio

RIP, Roddy, and thank you for so much.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oatgan posted:

let us always remember everything he did before 1995 and forget everything after

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i should have specified in a wrestling ring

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mister Perky posted:

My favorite "signature hold" of all time may well still be the simple elegance of Roddy Piper poking someone in the eyes. The buildup, the anticipation, and the timing was always exemplary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64vHLuUkio

RIP, Roddy, and thank you for so much.

He always had some of the greatest in-ring mannerisms, just so nonchalant with the ol' illegal poke to the eyes :allears:

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

oatgan posted:

I really enjoyed that one promo where he asked Cena to not spit in his face or something

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

What about the Jericho match where he called him a motherfucker?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What a loving shitload of gently caress. :(
Will be watching Hell Comes to Frogtown tonight.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Great White Hope posted:

What about the Jericho match where he called him a motherfucker?

I don't even remember who won that all I remember is Roddy going over the ropes, getting his arm caught in the ropes, and then unleashing a bunch of vulgarity that sounded like a Yosemite Sam tirade.

I'm gonna miss that dude :(

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

gently caress cancer for real IMHO

this is a controversial stance to take, foochs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
man a home town guy gone. I got a picture of me as a little guy, trying to look tough, standing next him. RIP Piper

• Locked thread