Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
That article and the sources do confirm that teflon does not improve the ability of punching through body armors, and in fact makes it harder for a bullet to achieve penetration. :v:
It does say that it helps when hitting metal surfaces at an angle, though, and helps with barrel wear. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Psion posted:

I'm surprised - he could've used this game as a springboard into the wonderful low-pay, high-stress, long-hours work of professional videogame voiceover artist!

oh wait

probably a good move

They don't make that little money.

Although a lot of them also do cartoons.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm surprised there's so much praise for Omega Strain, was it really that fun online? I know playing solo was pretty eh.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Praise the taze - Let's start a cult in SYPHON FILTER

Taser Impacts on Bare Skin at 28,000fps - The Slow Mo Guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=576HwhU6PMM

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm surprised there's so much praise for Omega Strain, was it really that fun online? I know playing solo was pretty eh.
I remember the solo mode being complete rear end and a goddamn mess with no sense of actual direction. I really hope it was more fun online cuz it had to have SOME good put into it. Also gently caress yes the Pharcom Expo was such a goddamn fun level, this was the level that the game really hit its stride with in my opinion for how fun gunfights turn out in this.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

I remember the solo mode being complete rear end and a goddamn mess with no sense of actual direction. I really hope it was more fun online cuz it had to have SOME good put into it. Also gently caress yes the Pharcom Expo was such a goddamn fun level, this was the level that the game really hit its stride with in my opinion for how fun gunfights turn out in this.

online play was a glorious clusterfuck of taser bonfires and explosions, with the occasional perfectly coordinated completely silent mission clear, depending on if it was required or not. The really lovely part is that the best ending required co-op to get. You literally can't get it without at least three people.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
IIRC, Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow were both written by Greg Rucka.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omega Strain only really worked solo if you never died, never broke stealth when you needed stealth, and didn't blunder into activating time sensitive objectives you had no idea were there in the first place. You basically have to be perfect to anything but the most mild of objectives.

I think its in the very first map where there's an objective you can just run into where you have to kill a 4 man death squad or something that is running to its target. They all have body armor so they're incredibly hard to kill (headshots being hard on moving targets) and if they kill you you respawn in some random area but time hasn't stopped so you're hosed because there is no way to get to them now that they're off running again. A lot of the stuff you have to do basically assumes you have 3 other people to help you and it makes no accommodations for not.

The only missions that are balanced around a single person are "special" missions revolving around the past exploits of senior team members that give you new moves. Those missions are actually pretty fun in the traditional Syphon Filter sense. The problem is that 1) unlocking those specials missions often requires doing really well in the missions NOT designed for a single person and 2) the moves those missions give you access to are almost 100% necessary to do well in the main missions in the first place, solo or co-op. But Sony needed a game to try and promote its terrible PS2 online service I guess.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The other cardinal sin of Omega Strain was that you didn't start with the taser and had to unlock it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The other cardinal sin of Omega Strain was that you didn't start with the taser and had to unlock it.

Those monsters.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Yeah, Omega Strain had a lot of problems. It was always designed to be online multiplayer but they felt the need to put in the single player stuff as well. Now, the single player stuff is ok but it was clearly rushed. It's infuriating too because it's designed in such a way that you have to play through each mission multiple times. Those ridiculous par times for each mission are really difficult to do the first time through mostly because you have to do every objective (including some hidden ones) and some of them are somewhat luck based. If this LP decides to cover Omega Strain, I'll point one really bad one out.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Kibayasu posted:

Omega Strain only really worked solo if you never died, never broke stealth when you needed stealth, and didn't blunder into activating time sensitive objectives you had no idea were there in the first place. You basically have to be perfect to anything but the most mild of objectives.

I think its in the very first map where there's an objective you can just run into where you have to kill a 4 man death squad or something that is running to its target. They all have body armor so they're incredibly hard to kill (headshots being hard on moving targets) and if they kill you you respawn in some random area but time hasn't stopped so you're hosed because there is no way to get to them now that they're off running again. A lot of the stuff you have to do basically assumes you have 3 other people to help you and it makes no accommodations for not.

The only missions that are balanced around a single person are "special" missions revolving around the past exploits of senior team members that give you new moves. Those missions are actually pretty fun in the traditional Syphon Filter sense. The problem is that 1) unlocking those specials missions often requires doing really well in the missions NOT designed for a single person and 2) the moves those missions give you access to are almost 100% necessary to do well in the main missions in the first place, solo or co-op. But Sony needed a game to try and promote its terrible PS2 online service I guess.

Hold the phone, what is this about "moves" unlocking from these missions?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Hold the phone, what is this about "moves" unlocking from these missions?

I might be mistaken, I only ever completed two of the bonus missions before giving up on the game entirely, but for example the first bonus mission has you playing as some old war weary sniper guy who has the special ability to kill guards barehanded by snapping their neck if you sneak up behind them. If you complete the mission - or maybe complete it under a certain time? - you unlock that ability for your own characters. The second bonus mission has some kind of stealth ability.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 12, 2015

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Oooo there is my childhood...

And its kinda amazing how this game even managed ran on 2MB of RAM back then.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Just want to point out that Syphon Filter only runs at 20 fps too.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
According to the Internet standard issue tasers are shot at 50,000 volts, not 500,000. I guess Gabe is just 10 times the man.

That voice acting, though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 03 - The Kazakhstan Infiltration

TASER. STEALTH.

Syphon Filter Episode 3 - Rhoemer's Missile Base|(31:51)
After locating Rhoemer's base in Kazakhstan, Gabe and Lian are sent to destroy the compound and if possible eliminate the elusive terrorist. Logan employs a new, devastatingly illegal weapon alongside his trusty taser and Lian demonstrates her psychic powers.

~Equipment Database

We've only got one more weapon in this game to go! Also we're kinda-sorta at the halfway point now. It only gets harder from here...oh god does it get harder.

X_countryguy posted:

According to the Internet standard issue tasers are shot at 50,000 volts, not 500,000. I guess Gabe is just 10 times the man.

The outro was made just for you :allears:

Hope this wild ride stays entertaining for all of you. I, personally, can't wait to get to the second game, but there's still plenty of silly poo poo in this one!

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Man, that silent alarm is utter bullshit. You're careful and stealthy in the first part? gently caress you, here's a gang rush of enemies anyway. I know Dark Mirror has a level where if you manage to stealth the first part, the second part starts with the enemies still not alerted. I know that was kinda tough to pull off on the PS1 but still.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I hate that goddamned level so much. It's a huge pain in the rear end, especially if you accidentally alert someone while you're hitting one of the checkpoints.

Not that I did that near the end when I only had to go finish the level and it really sucked because I had to wind my way through the entire base while fighting off waves upon waves of infinitely spawning bad guys.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

i can't recall now if you used the taser to knock out lights in the first level or not but you can do it and it saves ammo and rrrrrgh dammit you're not committed enough to the holy church of tazer and from one member to another i am disappoint

content: Mithridates VI of Pontus sounds like the emperor who immunized himself against poisons with lots of sub-lethal doses.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yes, that is definitely the dude!

Also I would never have thought the Taser would attack its fellow electric components :(

There will be a very amazing opportunity in the next level for this though, and I will try it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Based on your intro conversation you need to LP The Saboteur next. You'll love one of the characters :getin:

also those missiles are only "long range" in the sense of a range 300 times longer than their "long range radar" instead of 8000. Syphon Filter why

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 16, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Rhoemer's villain laugh after he kills Liang is just too beautiful for this world. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They didn't actually find a body, so I'm guessing Lian is alive and there'll be a hostage situation later.

What Bond villain can resist a good kidnapping?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i can't recall now if you used the taser to knock out lights in the first level or not but you can do it and it saves ammo and rrrrrgh dammit you're not committed enough to the holy church of tazer and from one member to another i am disappoint

content: Mithridates VI of Pontus sounds like the emperor who immunized himself against poisons with lots of sub-lethal doses.
That is pretty loving metal holy poo poo I've never heard of that guy until now. Also man, you think the taser's good now, the NEXT game they uh...well something changes and it's...really wonderful. :allears:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Man, I feel pretty bad about passing on these games when they came out. I'd had a bad experience with other 3rd person PS1 games and figured this was just an imitator riding Metal Gear Solid's coattails.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
This is relevant to the taser discussion. I don't know if you were planning to pull this one out when we got to the second game but here's a TV spot I remember for this game when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykgQ6vfcgk

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

X_countryguy posted:

This is relevant to the taser discussion. I don't know if you were planning to pull this one out when we got to the second game but here's a TV spot I remember for this game when it came out.

This seems roughly in character for a man who uses an overcharged portable electric chair and nerve gas, yes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

X_countryguy posted:

Oh my god, the hammyness of this reaches to space, how did I never see this?

I OP'd that poo poo pronto.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, as to the new title, I don't think a hellspawn like the Taser is going to save anything.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Night10194 posted:

Also, as to the new title, I don't think a hellspawn like the Taser is going to save anything.

It's going to save the world, so that only it can destroy the world

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I've been playing Omega Strain on the PS2 emulator and drat this game is fun as hell when you actually sit down with it. I couldn't play it before because the flashlight & night vision was borked but the emu devs fixed it.

Sadly the online functionality will never be seen in this LP I think :sigh:

RoboKy would just be throwing grenades at everything that moves & Coolguye would only be using the Taser, even if it got him killed.

All told, I'll most likely be playing Omega Strain for the LP too!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm sorry, how is that potential outcome of multiplayer bad, exactly :confused:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I don't think he was saying it was bad besides the part where it wouldn't happen. :ssh:

I got fed up with the voice over chewing me out on the first level for taking too long (lady I can't hurry it up four guys are shooting at me and you wouldn't diss Gabe for taking a little time to kill them, also the par time you think the best of the best should make can only be done by glitching now that online support is out). If I could disable those stupid bits I could play it like normal aside from some objectives apparently being impossible but otherwise ugh.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Psion posted:

I'm sorry, how is that potential outcome of multiplayer bad, exactly :confused:

I was trying to say that we just can't play it because there is no way to play it online through the emu.

Also some guy just told me "thanks buddy that was a close one!" after I saved him then he proceeded to shoot me a few times as he ran off.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 18, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

X_countryguy posted:

YES

SOMEBODY BROUGHT THIS COMMERCIAL UP IT'S BRILLIANT
i love it. I completely forgot about this until you linked it, it is absolutely brilliant that they knew how awesome that taser was.
Think about it, Syphon Filter 1 did well enough, the sequel came round and for a TV spot they went "okay guys what do we advertise to make people come in, we got a cool train level to use so-"
"WHAT ABOUT THE TASER?!"
"...got it."

The 90s were a glorious age for videogame commercials :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'll admit I haven't looked at netplay for PS2 in a long time but when I last looked it was basically in the 'yeah that'd be a pretty fun idea' stage so I'm not hopeful.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I'll admit I haven't looked at netplay for PS2 in a long time but when I last looked it was basically in the 'yeah that'd be a pretty fun idea' stage so I'm not hopeful.

If it does work, I'd be 100% on board with being a fourth, if you guys would want one. I loved the hell out of Omega Strain.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

How Sony could print money: Re-release Omega Strain & the RE outbreak games in a PS2 netplay revival pack.

It's like the Berlin wall only on one side a torrential rain of dollars ready to rain down on the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you have a network enabled PS2 you can actually still play Omega Strain online on a private server.

Still no luck for the emulators though.

• Locked thread