Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
"in too many leagues as it is so..." had me concerned is all, wasn't trying to be a dick.

Seconded on the rules and whatnot, which I expect Mr. Organized himself to write up with glitter on posterboard and mail to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha yeah no worries, I will definitely be putting together a full rules document, sharing it on google docs, and linking to it from the OP.

I have to deal with some work stuff and then I'll follow up in here. We still have a few things to nail down, like total roster size, host, the items that were tied or too close to call in the voting, etc. but we're getting there. I normally wouldn't drag this out so much but with a multi-year, money commitment I want to make sure we get it set up really well from the get-go.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Leperflesh, you're a maniac. Thanks for being all over this dude.

Apologies that my schedule is a bit rough, but work travel + having a 6-month old makes my schedule a bit nuts. Week nights after this Wednesday should generally be good, and I will do my best to make whatever time we set. If I can't, I'll give my spot to the next man up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Spermy Smurf posted:

"in too many leagues as it is so..." had me concerned is all, wasn't trying to be a dick.

Seconded on the rules and whatnot, which I expect Mr. Organized himself to write up with glitter on posterboard and mail to everyone.

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE MY ABILITY TO BE A DEGENERATE

Cervixalot posted:

Leperflesh, you're a maniac. Thanks for being all over this dude.

also this

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've started working on a league rules doc, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnTCMrEn7Wx5ofw_mG_ke_htdtVIY1LZWr907Cx8gn8/edit?usp=sharing
I sort of... started with the money stuff. If anyone sees anything they don't like or whatever just post, and I will definitely go over what I've come up with here too, but I had sort of worked something out in my head and decided to get it down while I had it.

In the meantime... We need to break the tie between 2WRs and 3WRs, and we need to figure out the IDP slots. The vote was for 4-5 slots.

A critical part of IDP, in my mind, is making them relevant compared to offensive players; and secondarily, making non-linebackers relevant compared to linebackers. This means the scoring needs to be finessed well, and the default IDP scoring for most of the big standard hosts isn't very well done.

I know many of you will be dipping your toes into IDP for the first time. Does anyone have anything specific they want to see here, or should I just present some options?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 8, 2015

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Leperflesh posted:

I've started working on a league rules doc, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnTCMrEn7Wx5ofw_mG_ke_htdtVIY1LZWr907Cx8gn8/edit?usp=sharing
I sort of... started with the money stuff. If anyone sees anything they don't like or whatever just post, and I will definitely go over what I've come up with here too, but I had sort of worked something out in my head and decided to get it down while I had it.

In the meantime... We need to break the tie between 2WRs and 3WRs, and we need to figure out the IDP slots. The vote was for 4-5 slots.

A critical part of IDP, in my mind, is making them relevant compared to offensive players; and secondarily, making non-linebackers relevant compared to linebackers. This means the scoring needs to be finessed well, and the default IDP scoring for most of the big standard hosts isn't very well done.

I know many of you will be dipping your toes into IDP for the first time. Does anyone have anything specific they want to see here, or should I just present some options?

Part of making IDP fun is not just having "IDP" slots, since as you mentioned LB's dominate. We need a spread of positions DL, LB, DB are common, with some leagues breaking it down into DE, DT, LB, CB, S

I missed the voting due to a work schedule, but part of the keeper discussion, not so much a numbers of keepers thing as, if the salary increases by a set amount each year, that lets people both keep the majority of their players if they want, but also keeps some in circulation. Or contract lengths (3 years being most common, usually paired with a limited number of Restricted Tags, which allow everyone to bid, but the owner of the expired contract to match the bid or keep them for a few dollars less). Common ways to do this I have seen are, cost goes up $3 each year, or 10% of their salary (which has a habit of turning over star players very fast)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Hey guys, I don't think I'd be able to give the league the attention I need to. Going to have to bow out. I don't think any of my votes were swing votes for the rules.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reik posted:

Hey guys, I don't think I'd be able to give the league the attention I need to. Going to have to bow out. I don't think any of my votes were swing votes for the rules.

Sorry to see you go, Reik. To be fair, unless at least a couple people above you dropped out, you were likely going to be an alternate anyway.
Dropping your votes doesn't swing any answer to a different letter, although it does make the lead that "D" had in the "trading during draft" question (Q. 16) a fair bit closer.

Everyone, here's what I'm thinking in terms of roster:

1QB
2WR
2RB
1TE
1FLEX (RB/WR/TE)
1DL
1LB
1DB
1FLEX(DL/LB/DB)
2 IR
2 TAXI
Total: 15 non-bench players
Bench: 10 players
Grand total: 25 players

Considering the IR and the TAXI are both contributing in their way to your bench, that's effectively 11 starters and 14 non-starter roster slots. Does that seem like a good number?

Hixalot posted:

Part of making IDP fun is not just having "IDP" slots, since as you mentioned LB's dominate. We need a spread of positions DL, LB, DB are common, with some leagues breaking it down into DE, DT, LB, CB, S

This is another option for IDP: if we go with five IDP slots, we could do one each of DE, DT, LB, CB, and S. The trouble here is that with no flex spot, most teams would have to roster two of each just to cover byes. Which is fine with me, but I think it means a longer bench than what I have right now is needed? I'm up for that... is anyone else?

quote:

I missed the voting due to a work schedule, but part of the keeper discussion, not so much a numbers of keepers thing as, if the salary increases by a set amount each year, that lets people both keep the majority of their players if they want, but also keeps some in circulation. Or contract lengths (3 years being most common, usually paired with a limited number of Restricted Tags, which allow everyone to bid, but the owner of the expired contract to match the bid or keep them for a few dollars less). Common ways to do this I have seen are, cost goes up $3 each year, or 10% of their salary (which has a habit of turning over star players very fast)

Yes, I think keepers should cost more each year, and that's not something we've talked about yet. I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions too.

Everyone, when you have 20 minutes please Take a look at the draft league rules. Feel free to comment here, or inline on the rules doc. Everything in bold is something I was taking a wild guess at, but everything is open for discussion. A lot of what's there we haven't discussed. I tried to put together some common-sense rules for how we should handle money (with a treasurer responsible for deposits and payouts), requests for refunds, etc.

We still need to discuss scoring. For offensive players, we're doing 0.5 PPR, but does anyone want something other than standard scoring? For example: kickoff/punt return yards? I'll present some ideas for defensive player scoring shortly.

Also take a look at the drafting rules, both for the startup draft and the annual rookie draft. Do dynasty leagues normally lock rosters during the offseason? At what point do owners drop players in order to create room for the rookie draft: before the draft, or during, or after?

When should we hold rookie drafts each year? I've heard of leagues doing it right after the NFL draft, or just before training camp, or after training camp, or after preseason games are finished. Ideas?

What should the annual FAAB waivers budget be? We'll have larger teams than normal. Is $100 fake money sufficient?

Do we want FAAB to run just once, on Wednesdays, with free-for-all free agent hiring after that... or twice, once on Wed, and once on Thursday (for players dropped to free agency on Wed, for example) and then free-for all? Or no free-for-all at all, just a series of FAAB auctions every night through the week?

Should we lock the waiver wire during league playoffs? Should there be a period before/during playoffs when trades are no longer allowed? Many leagues do this to prevent teams that got into the playoffs from harvesting good players from non-playoff teams.

I'm going to put everyone's schedules together to try and figure out a startup draft date soon. [b]If you didn't vote[/i], please still at least answer questions 10 and 11, so I can try and scheudule the draft at a time when you can be included. If I absolutely cannot accomodate everyone, I'll give priority to those higher on the list in the OP.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 9, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry to see you go, Reik. To be fair, unless at least a couple people above you dropped out, you were likely going to be an alternate anyway.
Dropping your votes doesn't swing any answer to a different letter, although it does make the lead that "D" had in the "trading during draft" question (Q. 16) a fair bit closer.

Everyone, here's what I'm thinking in terms of roster:

1QB
2WR
2RB
1TE
1FLEX (RB/WR/TE)
1DL
1LB
11DB
1FLEX(DL/LB/DB)
2 IR
2 TAXI
Total: 15 non-bench players
Bench: 10 players
Grand total: 25 players

We still need to discuss scoring. For offensive players, we're doing 0.5 PPR, but does anyone want something other than standard scoring? For example: kickoff/punt return yards? I'll present some ideas for defensive player scoring shortly.

I like that roster and other rule I can think of is to be sure that there is fractional scoring

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh god yes fractional scoring is an absolute given. I'm so sick of not having it in my other leagues. Sorry if anyone hates it, I'm not flexible on this one... we have to have fractional scoring.

E. also I meant 1 DB, not 11 DBs, lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

11 dbs could be interesting

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
RE: Draft availability, I'm Pacific Time and work nights, but am very flexible provided a minimum week notice due to the nature of my job after Aug 16th (with one exception of Aug 28th which is another league draft)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Soooo. Not much in the way of comments on the rules. I'm going to assume this means all of you are simply delighted and have no problem whatsoever with what's laid out there at this point. Right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is NFL.com's standard IDP scoring

quote:

Tackle (NFL.com Default = 1 point)
Assisted Tackle (NFL.com Default = .5 points)
Sack (NFL.com Default = 2 points); Note: Half Sack will be recorded as half of a sack's point value
Interception (NFL.com Default = 2 points)
Forced Fumble (NFL.com Default = 2 points)
Fumble Recovery (NFL.com Default = 2 points)
Touchdown (Interception Return) (NFL.com Default = 6 points)
Touchdown (Fumble Return) (NFL.com Default = 6 points)
Touchdown (Blocked Kick, Punt, or Missed FG Return) (NFL.com Default = 6 points)
Blocked Kick (Punt, FG or PAT) (NFL.com Default = 2 points)
Safety (NFL.com Default = 2 points)
Pass Defended (NFL.com Default = 1 points)

This is the scoring we've been using in the loving IDP Frenzy league:

quote:

Tackle Solo: 1.5
Tackle Assist: .75
Sack: 3.5
Interception: 5
Fumble Force: 3.5
Fumble Recovery: 3.5
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Pass Defended: 3
Block Kick: 5
Tackles for Loss: 2
It worked really well, but it didn't have to be balanced against offensive players at all.

ESPN only has IDP in custom leagues, so they don't have a standard scoring setup for it.

Here's an Article on PFF about IDP scoring.

quote:

Solo Tackles – 1.5 point
Assisted Tackles – .75 points
Sacks – 4 points
Tackles for a Loss – 2 points*
Interceptions – 6 points
Passes Defensed – 1.5 points
Forced Fumbles – 4 points
Fumble Recoveries – 4 points
Safeties – 10 points
Blocked Kicks – 6 points
Touchdowns – 6 points
*2 points if this includes sacks, 3 points if not.

You can see there's not a huge amount of variance from what we were doing in loving IDP. Both are substantially higher in several categories than NFL.com's standard, and the article I linked makes some good arguments for why. Essentially, an elite IDP player in any of the standard IDP categories ought to score similarly to an elite RB or WR (or I guess Gronk). It's OK if one category is a little lower than another, or than one of the offensive categories (QBs generally outscore other categories in standard offensive scoring, for example), but the variance shouldn't be too huge either way.

The article advocates possibly using different scoring per position, particularly with that all-important tackles scoring, but unless we happen to choose a host that allows that, I'd prefer to avoid it. It does mean that, as in their example, DTs will probably tend to score less than LBs. But we're not requiring anyone to take DTs (unfortunately. With just 4-5 IDP slots per the voting, I felt I shouldn't break down beyond the DL/LB/DB broad categories, because in order to fit in all five standard defensive positions we'd have to forego a defensive flex, and that would mean a minimum of five more bench slots just to cover byes).

Anyway if nobody has any strong feelings, I'll probably go with something similar to the PFF scoring, but with lower points for safeties (10 is just too swingy).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 11, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have no knowledge of how the scoring should work and you are not an idiot so letting you do what you do is my plan.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sorry I'm back a day late, plane didn't come to pick me up as scheduled.

Qs 10-11: August 19, 20, 21 would be best for me. Outside that range, later in August is better for me.
I'm in Alaska time zone, time of day doesn't really matter for me, I have a flexible work schedule.
My biggest scheduling issue is I'm a park ranger in a wilderness park so my schedule can send me to the woods on short notice if a bear chomps someone or w/e. The site I'm likely to go to in later August has satellite internet though so it's not a huge problem. In the event I wind up out of contact, I will be fine-tuning player ranks according to my own research so an auto draft won't cripple me. I'm in for the long haul anyway.

All rules in the poll look good to me. If we're still looking for tiebreakers, I prefer 1qb 2rb 2wr 1te 1flex for offense. For defense I prefer broken down by position DL/LB/DB. One of each plus flex as suggested sounds good to me.

One question I have is how players get listed on defense. Are 3-4 OLBs listed as LBs or line? I'm not experienced with IDP, but it seems like putting them with the linemen would concentrate the sack monsters on the line and the tackle monsters in the LBs, avoiding an overly weak DL pool. Not sure if that's possible with ESPN, or an actual good suggestion.

I think a pass defensed should count more than a tackle, 10 points is too flakey for a safety, and forced fumbles should probably count more than fumble recoveries, as recoveries are essentially random while forces are not.

Re: increasing cost of kept players, I think it's necessary if rookie draft is separate from regular draft. If we do one draft a year though, im less sure. Everyone should be participating in the rookie draft every year, with the exception of trading picks. If keeping players winds up preventing participation in the rookie draft, I think that results in the two essential aspects of dynasty conflicting with each other.

Maybe it is possible to have some limit on the number of "player years" you can keep, and you assign the number of years you are keeping a player when you get them / make the first keeper decision for them. I.e., say you keep ten players a year, you have a budget of 30 player years to allocate, which you can spread as you wish over your ten. All ten for three, or two for 10 two for 2 and six for 1 or w/e. Sort of like a rough equivalent to a salary cap. That could be a tedious thing to keep track of, an extra layer of strategy, or both.

Thanks for hero-level :effort: Leper

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Soooo. Not much in the way of comments on the rules. I'm going to assume this means all of you are simply delighted and have no problem whatsoever with what's laid out there at this point. Right?

Yes.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Yep pretty much

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Scoring looks fine to me. Have we decided on cost for keepers at all?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey Leperflesh, I am going to have to drop out (think I was an alternate anyway). I was able to get into my company's fantasy league this year and don't think I can dedicate the time to play in three leagues. Thanks for all your hard work!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Sorry I'm back a day late, plane didn't come to pick me up as scheduled.

Qs 10-11: August 19, 20, 21 would be best for me. Outside that range, later in August is better for me.

I'm in Alaska time zone, time of day doesn't really matter for me, I have a flexible work schedule.
My biggest scheduling issue is I'm a park ranger in a wilderness park so my schedule can send me to the woods on short notice if a bear chomps someone or w/e. The site I'm likely to go to in later August has satellite internet though so it's not a huge problem. In the event I wind up out of contact, I will be fine-tuning player ranks according to my own research so an auto draft won't cripple me. I'm in for the long haul anyway.

Cool, OK. Looks like Alaska is 1 time zone to the west of me (I'm in California, PST).

quote:

All rules in the poll look good to me. If we're still looking for tiebreakers, I prefer 1qb 2rb 2wr 1te 1flex for offense. For defense I prefer broken down by position DL/LB/DB. One of each plus flex as suggested sounds good to me.

One question I have is how players get listed on defense. Are 3-4 OLBs listed as LBs or line? I'm not experienced with IDP, but it seems like putting them with the linemen would concentrate the sack monsters on the line and the tackle monsters in the LBs, avoiding an overly weak DL pool. Not sure if that's possible with ESPN, or an actual good suggestion. [quote]

Typically, the LB is the linebackers. DL are defensive ends and defensive tackles, and then the DB position covers safeties and cornerbacks. Part of the strategy when drafting LBs is to look at 3/4 vs 4/3 defenses, because in most leagues, the key to lots of points is lots of tackles. However by upping the amount of points you get for sacks, interceptions, and (especially) passes defended, the scoring system ought to make other defensive positions more competitive with those elite LBs... although they still tend to be less dependable and more swingy.

[quote]I think a pass defensed should count more than a tackle, 10 points is too flakey for a safety, and forced fumbles should probably count more than fumble recoveries, as recoveries are essentially random while forces are not.

I agree that pass defended ought to be worth more than a tackle. In terms of affecting plays it's a play that stops the offense from gaining any yards, whereas a tackle that isn't a tackle-for-loss, didn't. Plus there are linemen in particular who are good at blocking passes, and this gives the cornerbacks more opportunity to score points vs. the linemen. Interesting point about the recoveries... obviously recovering a fumble is a turnover, and turnovers are huge, but a lot of the time the guy recovering a fumble is just whoever was in the vicinity and/or got into the bottom of the pile and wrestled the ball away from the dude who jumped on it first. It does tend to be random. A lot of people who set scoring do so based on "how much does this matter in the game" which is a decent metric to look at... but one of the reasons we're not using kickers is because, while field goals are important, kicker scoring is essentially random.

So I think I actually agree with you on this one. I'd put more points on forced fumbles and less on the recovery. I think 6 points for a safety is pretty good: while it's not a touchdown, it does represent a combination of scoring and turnover, and they're so rare that it ought to make a big difference when a player manages it. Especially given the offense usually knows they're in danger of a safety and should be calling plays specifically designed to avoid them, so it represents a defensive player defeating the offense's entire plan that play.

quote:

Re: increasing cost of kept players, I think it's necessary if rookie draft is separate from regular draft. If we do one draft a year though, im less sure. Everyone should be participating in the rookie draft every year, with the exception of trading picks. If keeping players winds up preventing participation in the rookie draft, I think that results in the two essential aspects of dynasty conflicting with each other.

Maybe it is possible to have some limit on the number of "player years" you can keep, and you assign the number of years you are keeping a player when you get them / make the first keeper decision for them. I.e., say you keep ten players a year, you have a budget of 30 player years to allocate, which you can spread as you wish over your ten. All ten for three, or two for 10 two for 2 and six for 1 or w/e. Sort of like a rough equivalent to a salary cap. That could be a tedious thing to keep track of, an extra layer of strategy, or both.

OK, so just to be clear, in a dynasty format the idea is that most teams keep most of their players each year. I had initially thought we'd have a maximum number of keepers, like 1/2 the team or 2/3s of the team or whatever, but voters seemed to prefer an even higher number and/or no specific restrictions. So I think the idea is that there's a rookie draft, and participation in the rookie draft is essentially down to how many new players each owner thinks they need.

But there also needs to be a mechanism to make it increasingly hard to hang on to the star players. So escalating costs is a given in keeper formats and I think we need one as well. Usually that's accomplished using escalating draft positions in a snake format, or escalating costs in an auction format.

This is what dynastyleaguefootball has to say:

quote:

Annual Draft – You’ll want to clarify early on how future league drafts will be handled. Typically the subsequent drafts are rookie/free agents drafts which happen after the NFL draft is complete. Teams can then select from the new rookies in the league, as well as from any free agents currently un-drafted. Many leagues will lock down the waiver wire at the conclusion of the NFL regular season, so that by the time the draft rolls around, changes on teams will have created some opportunities for free agents who were not all that attractive just a few weeks before. Some leagues separate out the rookie draft and the free agents draft, handling them as two distinct events.

I don't think we've really discussed this yet, or at least, come to a conclusion. Do we want to include free agents in the annual draft, or should it strictly be a rookie draft? I think if we escalate player costs we have to include free agents in the draft, because otherwise, it'll just be a free-for-all to claim star players who are too expensive to keep on your keepers. Right?

MrSargent posted:

Hey Leperflesh, I am going to have to drop out (think I was an alternate anyway). I was able to get into my company's fantasy league this year and don't think I can dedicate the time to play in three leagues. Thanks for all your hard work!

Yeah, you were an alternate. Sorry to see you go, but cool that you got into another league!

With MrSargent leaving, we're down to a current list of 13 owners; if nobody else leaves voluntarily, atomictyler will be the unfortunate odd man out. But atomictyler please stick around for now, there's always a decent chance someone will lose interest, not have the money, or not be able to make the draft and decide to bow out.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 11, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Keeper cost is tough stuff. Chris Harris just had a Dynasty focused podcast on The Harris Football Podcast where he talked about keeper cost.

Not sure how that works in a dynasty startup, though.

EDIT: Here is the link to that league ruleset -

http://football12.myfantasyleague.com/2015/options?L=19721&O=26

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 11, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm sorta confused. I was under the impression that a Dynasty league typically had you draft players and keep them forever, cutting a handful each year to make room for the rookie draft and trading picks and players year over year.

Based on some of the conversations, it sounds like this is being concepted more like a keeper league, blending redraft and dynasty, with a handful of players being kept year-over-year and a draft to fill in the non-kept spots, with possible escalating costs for players or a salary cap option thrown in.

Which one is it? Or is it some other format?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Dynasty is a Keeper league - when you add an element of salary/penalty to it for managing a superstar player, it adds to the variance of the format.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Keeper cost is tough stuff. Chris Harris just had a Dynasty focused podcast on The Harris Football Podcast where he talked about keeper cost.

Not sure how that works in a dynasty startup, though.

EDIT: Here is the link to that league ruleset -

http://football12.myfantasyleague.com/2015/options?L=19721&O=26

Interesting. Seems like they're using a salary cap system. So you can draft free agents using FAAB, but your FAAB budget is equal to $912 minus your roster's cost (based on what you paid to draft them or what you paid to pick them up from FAAB waivers - not sure how trades affect that), and the remainder is what you have available in the annual rookie/free agent draft (so on that rulesheet, you can see they've manually set the budgets for each team in the league for their redraft).

I'm not sure how they arrived at that $912 budget but I'm sure it is affected by total number of roster slots (26), IR slots (5), and Taxi slots (8). (And all that boils down to just 11 starters!). IR players charge 50% of their cost to the cap, and taxi players charge 25%.

I don't understand this one: "Percent Of Player's Salary That Should Be Charged To Franchise Owner When Player Is Dropped: 100%"
I think it means that you have to pay for a player's "salary" the whole year, even if you drop them, but what happens if that player is then picked up off waivers via FAAB? They also have "Reset Player Salary/Contract To League Default: drop" which implies to me that every player has a default salary, and maybe that's what you get charged when you drop a player.

fake edit: Oh, they've got rules spelled out near the bottom.
"* Players may be dropped at any time, too, but your team remains responsible for the dropped player's hit against your salary cap this year. (In addition, if the player is signed for multiple seasons, there may be cap ramifications for the *next* season, too, but see Part 3 for more details about that.)"

They've got rules for escalating contract costs, for star players engaging in salary "holdouts" when they're underpaid compared to other star players in their position, franchise and transition players, and more. It looks... well, amazing, but also really complicated.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah, really complicated, even Harris admits that. However, I think some sort of salary cap for keeping players would be advantageous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

I'm sorta confused. I was under the impression that a Dynasty league typically had you draft players and keep them forever, cutting a handful each year to make room for the rookie draft and trading picks and players year over year.

Based on some of the conversations, it sounds like this is being concepted more like a keeper league, blending redraft and dynasty, with a handful of players being kept year-over-year and a draft to fill in the non-kept spots, with possible escalating costs for players or a salary cap option thrown in.

Which one is it? Or is it some other format?

You're absolutely right, and we want to do a dynasty league. I think I'm just struggling a bit because there doesn't seem to be a "standard" setup for exactly how a dynasty league works, when you get down to the details.

Even in a dynasty league, though, there has to be a mechanism by which teams can pick up free agents. You can either include them in the "rookie" draft (so that it combines rookies and free agents), or you can leave them entirely to FAAB. If you do the latter, then you have to have a calendar that restricts picking up free agents during the off-season, at least until after the rookie draft. I think.

Even in a dynasty league, there has to be the ability to drop players, too. Just like a real NFL team cuts players. Having a salary system like that league that Gyshall linked is one way to manage it: you can cut players (to free up roster slots) but you still have to pay their salaries, at least through their current contract... and if you have multi-year contracts, they can have a hit against your salary cap in the following year. This system discourages, but does not prevent, owners from dropping players.

If you do it though, you then have to figure out what to do for trades, players who retire, players on IR, etc.

e. By the way, I'm increasingly thinking that we're going to have to use MFL, or another site with similarly complete features.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
When I spend all my money on JJ Watt and he scores 14 offensive touchdowns how will that be scored in addition to his defensive sacks?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know you're joking, but when a player stands in at a position they earn points per that position. For example, if you have a WR who throws a forward pass for a touchdown, he gets 4 points for the passing TD.

Unfortunately, fantasy football still hasn't really figured out what to do with offensive linemen, so you can't earn points for, e.g., Garry Gilliam or Nate Solder catching TDs.

We're also not rostering kickers, but if I set field goals to have points, then a non-kicker kicking a FG could still earn you points!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a strong opinion on exactly how we manage keeping players, but I'd probably lean in favor of roster permanence at the expense of forcing churn of superstars. I haven't played dynasty, but that seems to be the basic tension. I think there is enough variance from year to year to avoid one person having all the talent locked up, because outside quarterbacks and maybe WRs the best players tend to change on a relatively short time span. That said, I'm open to any system without glaring holes, I don't have a strong preference on the specifics.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I don't have a strong opinion on exactly how we manage keeping players, but I'd probably lean in favor of roster permanence at the expense of forcing churn of superstars. I haven't played dynasty, but that seems to be the basic tension. I think there is enough variance from year to year to avoid one person having all the talent locked up, because outside quarterbacks and maybe WRs the best players tend to change on a relatively short time span. That said, I'm open to any system without glaring holes, I don't have a strong preference on the specifics.

I think part of the issue is not just holding on to a keeper for a long time, but getting a superstar for super cheap. For example, if you'd drafted Luck in 2012, it would probably have been in a mid-round for a small amount of fantasy dollars, say $5. So now you'd be able to hang on to him for a decade for $5 a year? By escalating the cost of veterans, you're not necessarily forced to drop a star after a couple years... you just have to pay closer to his actual value. The guys you wind up dropping are the veterans who aren't your cheap studs; guys whose cost has escalated to the point that they're not worth it. You might be happy to pay $20 for Luck this year when you only had to pay $15 last year (for example), but you're not OK with paying $20 for Trent Richardson (obviously) or Rueben Randle (tougher call?).

Getting this right seems like it's pretty important, which is probably why I've been kind of locked up the last few days not making progress. I think these are the key items we need to decide on:
  • Should the FAAB allowance and the startup/rookie draft allowances come from the same budget?
  • If so, exactly how much should that budget be?
  • If not, what should the team, rookie, and FAAB budgets be?
  • exactly how much should players increase in cost each year?
  • should the annual rookie draft also include free agents?
  • Should the annual rooke/(free agent) draft have a fixed number of rounds, and if so, how many?
  • What should happen to the cost of a player when they're dropped and then picked up as a free agent by another owner?
  • What should happen to the cost of a player when they're dropped and then picked up as a free agent by the same owner?

It seems like most of the owners are like "I defer to the wiser people" but I am no wiser in this case than anyone else. I don't think we want a system quite as complicated as that league that Gyshall linked to, but I'm not sure how much simpler to go while still keeping things well-balanced and interesting.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
how many owners are you looking for? I'd waitlist if there isn't space.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We seem to have settled on a 12-team league, and I currently have 13 owners. You're welcome to join the waitlist, though: this is a money league and we've yet to schedule the draft, and I expect at both the payup and drafting steps there's a chance someone will decide to drop out.

I've added you to the list in the first post.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

• Should the FAAB allowance and the startup/rookie draft allowances come from the same budget?
  • Should the annual rooke/(free agent) draft have a fixed number of rounds, and if so, how many?
  • What should happen to the cost of a player when they're dropped and then picked up as a free agent by another owner?
  • What should happen to the cost of a player when they're dropped and then picked up as a free agent by the same owner?

No
FAAB should be $100 the others idk
5-10%
Yes
Yes, whatever the number of minimum dropped players is
Idk
Idk

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
  • Should the FAAB allowance and the startup/rookie draft allowances come from the same budget? No

• If not, what should the team, rookie, and FAAB budgets be? 100 or whatever people smarter than me say
  • exactly how much should players increase in cost each year? 5-10% sounds logical, but I have never played this league
  • should the annual rookie draft also include free agents? Yes
  • Should the annual rooke/(free agent) draft have a fixed number of rounds, and if so, how many? Yes. We need to pick up what? 7 players every year after we keep the keepers? So in that case, 7 rounds.
  • What should happen to the cost of a player when they're dropped and then picked up as a free agent by another owner? Drop 10%? Honestly no idea.
  • What should happen to the cost of a player when they're dropped and then picked up as a free agent by the same owner? Bump 5%? Again, no idea.

Here are my useless answers since I have never played this type of league and have no idea how it actually works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah "the way it works" seems to be a thousand different ways depending on every different specific league. E.g., I have yet to find anyone even claiming that there's a standard. We are off the beaten path here, apparently. Who knew dynasty leagues were such a free-for-all?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Getting this right seems like it's pretty important, which is probably why I've been kind of locked up the last few days not making progress. I think these are the key items we need to decide on:

It seems like most of the owners are like "I defer to the wiser people" but I am no wiser in this case than anyone else. I don't think we want a system quite as complicated as that league that Gyshall linked to, but I'm not sure how much simpler to go while still keeping things well-balanced and interesting.

• Yes. It's probably simpler at the outset than separate rookie / free agent drafts.
  • $100? ESPN defaults to $200 in a standard redraft auction, but after the first year we should be doing a shorter auction than a redraft would. Maybe year one should be higher.
  • Unsure. I think somewhere around 5-10% would work.
  • I think at the outset rookie and free agent draft should be one and the same. This seems like one of the easier things to change later if we don't like it.
  • if we are using draft picks probably a fixed number of rounds, so as to properly value picks in trades. If we are doing an auction, probably not, it just ends when people stop bidding.
  • I think for dropped players, if they are picked up via competitive FAAB, their value should be whatever it cost to get them. If they hit waivers without anyone making a FAAB bid, they should default to $1 or w/e. If a player clears waivers the league values him at zero. If you spot good value in someone everyone else thought was garbage, good on you, you should reap the benefit of that foresight.

Ultimately I am not all that worried about getting it exactly right the first year. If we don't have a dynasty expert on board to guide us we'll just figure it out. If we botch it this year, we can tweak it in the future. I assume most of us are interested in an engaged and in depth league, more so than the most easily exploitable path to the winners pot.

Having a single budget for FAAB / draft / keepers seems like it achieves the basic goals: you can't hang onto Andrew luck for ten years because he will get cost prohibitive, it rewards discovering talent before others because you get a cost savings on your roster, and it forces strategic thinking by making us choose between prioritizing keeping stars (win now) and drafting future talent (rebuilding).

Because I am a lazy idiot, can someone remind me weather we decided on snake draft or auction? I seem to recall auction, but there have been references to draft picks too.

Also I will be in the woods tomorrow through next Wednesday, did we agree on a buy in? I'd kind of like to send mine in to avoid being in the woods with people wondering if I ditched the league with the patent deadline looming. Sometimes the plane isn't 100% on time picking me up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We decided on FAAB, we're doing an auction for the startup draft, but then people definitely favored being allowed to trade future draft picks. I suppose those are basically incompatible things, aren't they? I mean, in an auction you still get to take turns nominating players to bid on, but that's not really a thing worth trading with others.

We pretty solidly settled on $25 buy in. We have not elected a Treasurer or the other two Commissioners. I am willing to act as Treasurer but I wanted to leave that open in case someone else wants to do it.

What do you guys think of this?
  • We do an auction-style start-up draft, with a $200 starting budget and $1 minimum bids. We need a decently large budget because this is going to be a long draft, like 24 rounds or something.
  • We do a separate $100/year FAAB budget for each week's waiver wire pickups.
  • This gives a "salary cap" of $300.
  • When you trade players with other owners, their salaries are sticky. So if you paid $8 to draft a player, he costs $8 for your trade partner to add to his roster.
  • When you drop a player, their salary vanishes. Their new salary is whatever someone FAABed to pick them up. Keep in mind that by FAAB, the minimum cost to pick up a player is a dollar, even if nobody else bids.
  • Each offseason we'll raise every player's salary by the larger of: $1, or 10% of their current salary (rounded to the nearest whole dollar). This means effectively every player with a salary of $1-$4 goes up by $1, everyone with a salary of $5-$14 goes up by $2, A salary of $15-$24 goes up by $3, etc.
  • Each year we'll have a "rookie" draft that includes every rookie and free agent. This draft goes in order - non-snake for the first (x) rounds, and then snake through to the end. We set fixed salaries for those players according to their drafted order. So maybe the #1 draft pick costs $20 in salary cap, the #2-#6 costs $15, the #7-#12 costs $12, all the players in the second round cost $6, third-rounders cost $3, and everyone else costs $1. Just for example, I'm not set on those numbers.
  • Only actual rookies can be put on your taxi squad. Taxi squad members don't count towards your salary cap. But when you activate a player from the taxi squad, you have to add their value to your team. This means you can draft an expensive rookie and stick them in the taxi squad if their price would put you over your cap, and then wait to see if they actually get to play before it costs you.
  • Once activated, a player cannot go back to a taxi squad: they're now either rostered or a free agent.
  • However, players dropped from a taxi squad and then FAABed by another owner can go onto that new owner's taxi squad; their new salary is the FAAB value, but just like drafted taxi squad members, they still don't count towards the new owner's salary cap.
  • Players on IR only cost a fraction of their salary... say, 50%. They have to be on a real NFL injured reserve, though, and you can't reactivate them until the NFL does.
  • If we use a system like this, then there is no minimum or maximum number of keepers each year. It's entirely up to the owners how many players they want to keep.
  • All of the numbers here are adjustable if they turn out to be too much or too little.

I think this method gets us most of what we wanted: you can effectively keep most of your players every year. You'll probably have a handful of busts to drop, no matter what, and that will give you some room for rookies. If you want more rookies, you can taxi squad a few. But, nobody can hang on to a ridiculous stable of studs forever.

Remember that it's perfectly legal to have empty roster slots, too, so if you're suffering from salary cap woes, you can always just dump players and leave empty bench slots.

Anyone object to the above?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

We decided on FAAB, we're doing an auction for the startup draft, but then people definitely favored being allowed to trade future draft picks. I suppose those are basically incompatible things, aren't they? I mean, in an auction you still get to take turns nominating players to bid on, but that's not really a thing worth trading with others.

We pretty solidly settled on $25 buy in. We have not elected a Treasurer or the other two Commissioners. I am willing to act as Treasurer but I wanted to leave that open in case someone else wants to do it.

What do you guys think of this?
  • We do an auction-style start-up draft, with a $200 starting budget and $1 minimum bids. We need a decently large budget because this is going to be a long draft, like 24 rounds or something.
  • We do a separate $100/year FAAB budget for each week's waiver wire pickups.
  • This gives a "salary cap" of $300.
  • When you trade players with other owners, their salaries are sticky. So if you paid $8 to draft a player, he costs $8 for your trade partner to add to his roster.
  • When you drop a player, their salary vanishes. Their new salary is whatever someone FAABed to pick them up. Keep in mind that by FAAB, the minimum cost to pick up a player is a dollar, even if nobody else bids.
  • Each offseason we'll raise every player's salary by the larger of: $1, or 10% of their current salary (rounded to the nearest whole dollar). This means effectively every player with a salary of $1-$4 goes up by $1, everyone with a salary of $5-$14 goes up by $2, A salary of $15-$24 goes up by $3, etc.
  • Each year we'll have a "rookie" draft that includes every rookie and free agent. This draft goes in order - non-snake for the first (x) rounds, and then snake through to the end. We set fixed salaries for those players according to their drafted order. So maybe the #1 draft pick costs $20 in salary cap, the #2-#6 costs $15, the #7-#12 costs $12, all the players in the second round cost $6, third-rounders cost $3, and everyone else costs $1. Just for example, I'm not set on those numbers.
  • Only actual rookies can be put on your taxi squad. Taxi squad members don't count towards your salary cap. But when you activate a player from the taxi squad, you have to add their value to your team. This means you can draft an expensive rookie and stick them in the taxi squad if their price would put you over your cap, and then wait to see if they actually get to play before it costs you.
  • Once activated, a player cannot go back to a taxi squad: they're now either rostered or a free agent.
  • However, players dropped from a taxi squad and then FAABed by another owner can go onto that new owner's taxi squad; their new salary is the FAAB value, but just like drafted taxi squad members, they still don't count towards the new owner's salary cap.
  • Players on IR only cost a fraction of their salary... say, 50%. They have to be on a real NFL injured reserve, though, and you can't reactivate them until the NFL does.
  • If we use a system like this, then there is no minimum or maximum number of keepers each year. It's entirely up to the owners how many players they want to keep.
  • All of the numbers here are adjustable if they turn out to be too much or too little.

I think this method gets us most of what we wanted: you can effectively keep most of your players every year. You'll probably have a handful of busts to drop, no matter what, and that will give you some room for rookies. If you want more rookies, you can taxi squad a few. But, nobody can hang on to a ridiculous stable of studs forever.

Remember that it's perfectly legal to have empty roster slots, too, so if you're suffering from salary cap woes, you can always just dump players and leave empty bench slots.

Anyone object to the above?

Sounds great to me, thanks for explaining all of this - makes so much sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All of that looks good and I agree with it. My only questions concern carryover budget. Dowe have separate FAAB and auction budgets? Does surplus carry over? If so, is there a limit?

For instance, suppose I have $35 remaining at the end of this year's draft. Do I then have $135 FAAB? Or do I carry over $35 to next year's draft? Or does it vanish? Same with FAAB- f I end the year with $20 FAAB, do I start +20 in the draft next year, +20 in FAAB next year, or is it use it lose it?

My gut says it has to carry over in some way, but perhaps with some kind of cap. I m not sure how likely it is for someone to ile up $200 extra bucks aftera couple years or w/e, or how league breaking that would be.

• Locked thread