Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bux received. Everyone who has sent money can verify I've got it by checking out the "budget" tab on our spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Waiting on money to transfer into paypal. Just to clarify your PayPal is the same as your username capital L and all?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes; same address as you sent your emails to for signups.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We have $175 in deposits already! Remaining owners who should make a deposit by Saturday if at all possible: Metapod, Cervixalot, The Zack, Kazak_Hstan, and Bloody. Metapod and Kazak still need to accept their email invites to the league, too.

I'll try and take some time today to finalize the remaining open rules questions in our rules document.

I'd like my co-Commissioners to get in touch. Let's have a quick email discussion offline just to make sure we're all in agreement on what commissioners do and don't do etc.
Just a reminder: we're drafting on Monday, August 31st, at 7PM EST.

And lastly: other than "League of Extraordinarily Goony Gentlemen," any other ideas for a name for our league? Right now it's just a generic placeholder.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I never got an invite just an email that said you sent an invite

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Metapod posted:

I never got an invite just an email that said you sent an invite

Please check your spam filter. ESPN is still showing your email address in the invite column.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Good call. In as Who Da Titoons?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok I think this seems like a decent playoffs setup:

-13 weeks in the regular season.
-5 teams make the playoffs: the winner of each division, plus two wildcard spots, which are for the next two teams with the best winning records.
-In week 14, the wildcards play each other, while the three division winners have byes.
-In week 15, the winner of the wildcard match, and the three division winners, have semifinals matches.
-In week 16, the winners of the semifinals matches face off for the final.

Meanwhile, we can also have a 'Loser's tourney" of the remaining 7 teams. The best of these teams gets a bye in Week 14. The winner of the loser's tourney can claim a small cash prize.

The bottom (4?) teams going into week 14 get first seedings in the first two rounds of the following year's rookie/free agent draft.

The intent of this arrangement:
-Avoid week 17, when too many NFL stars get benched
-Keep playoffs to 3 weeks, so we can have 13 weeks in the regular season, which is already pretty short
-Ensure teams in tough divisions can still make the playoffs via wildcard spots
-Deal with the odd number of divisions (3)
-Provide a direct and immediate incentive for owners missing the playoffs to keep managing their teams through the rest of the season

Some things that could easily be tweaked:
-advancing 6 teams into the playoffs. This would require the bottom of the three division winners to give up the week 14 bye, in order to play the third wildcard team.
-basing wildcard slots on "total points for" instead of wins
-allowing teams losing playoff games in week 14 to get slotted into the consolation playoff. (The losers of the two games in week 15 playoffs should play each other in week 16 to establish third and fourth place).

One more significant option would be to run a full 14-week regular season, and then a 2-week playoff. That would mean just four teams advancing to the playoffs, though: presumably, the three divisional champions plus one wildcard team. The drawback there is the very small playoff chances: teams will be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention more easily, and weeks 13-14 may become lame duck matches for a lot of teams. The advantage, though, is that every team could play every other team in their own division twice (6 matches) plus every other team in the league once (8 matches) for a total of 14 matches. If we do a 13-week league as outlined above, we can't have such an elegant matchup schedule. Either you'll only play one of your division rivals once, or, you'll never play one other non-division team in the league.

The third way is to run a 14-week season, 3-week playoffs, and that means the championship match is held in week 17. I'd hate to see one or the other team lose because their star player didn't play in week 17, but this would be the most elegant way to do regular-season matchups while still allowing us to bring 5-6 teams into the playoffs.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
I like scenario one. And it does provide incentive as you say for people to stay involved longer. Which is very important in dynasty leagues because at some point some of us will really be looking forward to next year, but having a reason to still pay attention to this year means more fun for everyone.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Money sent.

I prefer option 2 (the even regular season schedule), but I'll be fine with any option.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm good with whatever

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cervixalot has dropped out, via PM, due to family constraints and excessive fantasy football dedication.

Dubious, are you still here? Still interested?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
If Dubious ain't, I am.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I also got a couple of PMs from Corrupt Cypher earlier this week, expressing interest. We'll have no problem filling the spot, but I want to give Dubious a shot since he's next in line.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I'm ok with option 1 or 2, but lean a bit more towards 1 because it's good that people have something to play for longer.

Spermy is in for 1 or 2. He's only on mobile so he asked me to reply for him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can't figure out how to make ESPN let me manually set the in-season matchups. Right now, with a 13-week schedule, it's doing something screwy: looks like three matches against each division rival, plus four other games, which is dumb.

e. Ah wait I found the checkbox to uncheck and the tab where I can edit head-to-head schedules. So no worries, I can set up any schedule we want.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 28, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dubious PMed me to say he's already drafting in a different league Monday, so he's out.

Corrupt Cypher is next in line.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Apparently trying to transfer money on Wednesday means it will be in your PayPal account Monday.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

money sent

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Received and accounted for!

Metapod posted:

Apparently trying to transfer money on Wednesday means it will be in your PayPal account Monday.

OK. I know if you start without a verified bank account and then set up for transfer it can take a few days for that first one. Once you verify your account it'll go faster.

That just leaves Kazak_Hstan, and our mystery 12th man Owner!

I'll give Corrupt Cypher until the end of the day to respond; after that, I'll have to move to Stevie Lee, to give him time to pay and get his team set up and any autodraft picks etc. done.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Joined and paypaled!

Sorry for the delay.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stevie Lee, are you still here? We need a fill-in immediately: drafting is supposed to be tomorrow.

Everyone: I've been trying to finalize the rules.

There are some key things I added that we hadn't fully agreed-on or discussed. They're all in Bold. If you have already read the rules, please skim through and check out the bold parts.

Here's a couple issues that cropped up:

-I believe ESPN requires you to fill every bench slot during the draft. Three of our bench slots are for taxi squad players only (which we will track via spreadsheet, because ESPN doesn't have a taxi squad roster type). This means that all Owners will have to draft three taxi squad players. I can't think of a way around this.

-I don't think ESPN lets you draft directly to your IR slots. This means that if you draft players that are already on an IR designation, they're going to consume one of your bench slots until after the draft. Once the draft is over, you can move players to IR and that will free up bench slots, which you can then fill via the FAAB free agent process. I can't think of a way around this, either.

-I don't think ESPN lets the league manager pause a draft. I'm not sure the LM can roll back an erroneous bid or pick, either. If you haven't done a mock auction draft yet on ESPN, you should do one ahead of our draft, to make sure you're familiar with the tool.

-Many leagues have special rules for the taxi squad that allow other players to (try to) steal players from each other's squads. The way it seems to work is, any team at any time can attempt to hire a player off another team's squad: they have to offer a significant amount of salary (I've seen salaries as high as $12). The actual owner of that player then has a choice: either activate the player (and start paying full salary for them), or let the other team buy them. These dynasty leagues usually also have multi-year contract rules, so stealing a player may also mean committing to a multi-year contract for them. I'm assuming we don't want this bit of complexity, or at least not just yet. Perhaps starting next year we can explore some more "advanced" options, based on how this year goes?

-I can set a deadline after which trades are not permitted. Many leagues restrict trading during the post-season. Do we want this?

-I wrote up some rules for how the league commissioners should deliberate and make rulings, etc. I also made a rule that the Owners can hold a vote of no-confidence to unseat an unpopular Commissioner, but a 2/3s vote is required to do so. Anticipating that level of problem makes me feel bad but I figured it'd be better to have a rule in place, than to get into a situation where we needed one but didn't have it. I'm confident we're all cool people who won't get into ridiculous drama, but the fantasy football thread is full of horror stories so... maybe better safe than sorry. Do any of you object to this? Maybe it should be a 50%+1 vote, or a 3/4s vote? A 2/3 vote is 8 votes, and we assume the commissioner being unseated votes against, so that's still 8 out of 11 people having to agree that a commissioner has become a Problem. A 50%+1 would be 7 out of 11.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah one more thing. Since Cervixalot dropped out, technically we could now draft on Tuesday, September 8th, at 7PM Eastern. I hate to postpone a draft with only 24 hours left before the draft, because people may have already adjusted their schedules to make accommodations for it. But I guess it's worth mentioning, just in case drafting tomorrow has become a big problem for anyone... or if we can't get our 12th spot filled in time.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Jesus loving christ that is a lot of rules. Well done, Leperfish.

Nothing to add from my side.

Edit: I do have questions about IR stuff.

So we all want Jordy Nelson on our IR. Thats given. So we will all auction him as normal while knowing he will not be available this year. He will take up a bench slot, so that is one less slot we can use for another player. Once he is put into IR (after draft) then you will have a free slot to grab a crappy free agent after the draft is over.

So say he goes for $15 or something. The following year he would cost $23 with the 8$ bump (dont remember off top of head) and be his normal WR1 self. Nothing else funky with money and IR and whatnot right?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 31, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

-I wrote up some rules for how the league commissioners should deliberate and make rulings, etc. I also made a rule that the Owners can hold a vote of no-confidence to unseat an unpopular Commissioner, but a 2/3s vote is required to do so. Anticipating that level of problem makes me feel bad but I figured it'd be better to have a rule in place, than to get into a situation where we needed one but didn't have it. I'm confident we're all cool people who won't get into ridiculous drama, but the fantasy football thread is full of horror stories so... maybe better safe than sorry. Do any of you object to this? Maybe it should be a 50%+1 vote, or a 3/4s vote? A 2/3 vote is 8 votes, and we assume the commissioner being unseated votes against, so that's still 8 out of 11 people having to agree that a commissioner has become a Problem. A 50%+1 would be 7 out of 11.

The founding fathers would be proud :911:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah one more thing. Since Cervixalot dropped out, technically we could now draft on Tuesday, September 8th, at 7PM Eastern. I hate to postpone a draft with only 24 hours left before the draft, because people may have already adjusted their schedules to make accommodations for it. But I guess it's worth mentioning, just in case drafting tomorrow has become a big problem for anyone... or if we can't get our 12th spot filled in time.

I would very slightly prefer Tuesday but can make it either way!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Stevie Lee, are you still here? We need a fill-in immediately: drafting is supposed to be tomorrow.

yes I'm here and I'm awful at auction drafts

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Stevie Lee posted:

:hfive:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I'm against stealing players from taxi squads, but only because I have no experience with taxi squads and I'd like to keep it simple. I won't quit if people want to do it, though.

I'm also against trades and acquisitions during the playoffs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

Send me an email at my username at gmail.com. Also, please paypal me $25, at my username at gmail.com. Check the rules I just linked to, and as soon as I get your email I'll invite you to the ESPN league. When you get the invite, you can use it to go sign up.

I have literally never auction drafted before, so no worries.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Chop the taxi squads if it makes it easier imo

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
I'm fine with all those restrictions, save taxi squads, and I would also vote for the axing of taxi squads in interest of simplicity, we can make an official vote at draft tomorrow if majority doesn't do it on here. They can be added back in future years if league stays together and votes then back, or moves to pay site to support.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, I'll let others comment but that's certainly an option. One thing we can (probably?) do is do our draft, and then I could add three additional bench slots to everyone's roster post-draft, for use as taxi squad slots. We'll be manually drafting in the annual rookie/free agent drafts anyway, so this is the only draft that's messed up due to lack of taxi squad support.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Leperflesh posted:

OK, I'll let others comment but that's certainly an option. One thing we can (probably?) do is do our draft, and then I could add three additional bench slots to everyone's roster post-draft, for use as taxi squad slots. We'll be manually drafting in the annual rookie/free agent drafts anyway, so this is the only draft that's messed up due to lack of taxi squad support.

Actually you just gave me a brainstorm for something, let me percolate the idea fully and will PM you about it tomorrow, maybe can introduce to league if you like it. It wouldn't affect this year, only next year anyway.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'd like the taxi squad to exist, without stealing. It might be a decent thing at some point, but we probably want to get a dynasty season under our belts first.

7/11 to remove a commissioner is my preference, but 8/11 is fine too. I figure if more people than not prefer a commissioner removed that's significant. The default position is probably supporting s commissioner; if most of the league moves past that inertia then something is wrong.

Moving draft to sept 8 is fine with me. No strong preference.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: I do have questions about IR stuff.

So we all want Jordy Nelson on our IR. Thats given. So we will all auction him as normal while knowing he will not be available this year. He will take up a bench slot, so that is one less slot we can use for another player. Once he is put into IR (after draft) then you will have a free slot to grab a crappy free agent after the draft is over.

So say he goes for $15 or something. The following year he would cost $23 with the 8$ bump (dont remember off top of head) and be his normal WR1 self. Nothing else funky with money and IR and whatnot right?

It's 10% a year, so he'd be a whopping $17 the following year. Players on IR cost you 50% of their cap, so this year he'd cost you $8 this year while he's on your IR.

And, I do not actually know that you can't draft a player directly to IR, because I've never used ESPN's IR before, there's no IR slots on the practice draft thing, and their explanation of IR doesn't mention it. I'm just making an assumption.

One thing to keep in mind is that you only have two IR slots. It makes sense to put your highest-cost injured players there, but if you have more than two on your team, you'll have to keep the additional injured players active (and pay their full salaries). So deliberately drafting an injured player has an opportunity cost.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
ESPN will not allow you to draft directly to IR. also your salary reduction for IR players won't be able to be applied during draft since that is all automatic through ESPN. League Manager should be able to alter cost after the draft but not during.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's OK. Our salary cap is $250 and you only have $200 during the draft, so nobody needs to worry about breaking their cap. And of course your bid is your bid, irrespective of where you intend to put a player. I figured post-draft I'll be tracking all the salary and cap info on a set of spreadsheets anyway.

Drafting tonight is starting to look pretty unlikely. I do not have an email from Stevie Lee yet, and I don't have money from him or Metapod yet either.

Please Speak up now if you cannot make a new, postponed draft date of Tuesday, Sept. 8, at 7PM EST.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Got it.

Also got notification from PayPal that I've "violated the terms of service" and have four days to respond before my account will be "restricted." They don't say how I've violated, I have a case number but no way of looking it up, and I'm supposed to sign a statement that says I "agree I've violated the terms of service" with a link to the terms of service but their own link is broken.

I'll figure it out. Presumably they don't like me receiving gifts from 10 strangers of $25 each.

e. Their auto-email telling me I'm in violation gave me a transaction ID that is apparently the problem. Here's the fun part: it doesn't match any transaction in my account. I specifically checked it against all of you guys' transactions and none of them match. Also there's no way to search transactions in Paypal by ID, and no way to list recent transactions that shows ID.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 31, 2015

• Locked thread