Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

http://fromthedepthsgame.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268650/

"Over 250 unique components allow you to build and command voxel vehicles from the deep ocean to outer space- including battleships, planes, submarines and space ships! Forge strategies, allegiances and fleets strong enough to destroy eight deadly factions of the planet and reign supreme."

Have you ever wanted to rule the seas with an iron fist from your mobile battle fortress? Has flying through the sky with your fleet of airships been one of your dreams? Have you longed to fight tooth and nail for the resources to fulfill all these dreams.
Then you might need to play FROM THE DEPTHS.

An incredibal voxel based constructor-combat game made by Brilliant Skies.

This game centers around an area that is mostly water. Using a complicated construction system, you build, customize, and pilot your ships, aircraft and Submarines.
You can customize every part of your ships from the engines to the guns to how they are painted.

There is a large single player campaign, where you must harvest resources with your fortresses and take control of the enemy's resources in a bid to rule the seas.
There are also missions you can play so you can unlock more parts for you creations.

For multiplayer you can either fight against other peoples creations or team up in coop and build and fight together.

THIS GAME IS COMPLICATED
It has a very in depth creation tool for building things that can get a little confusing and frustrating. so much so the creators have put up many types of tutorials to teach you how to play.
The UI can be awful and hard to work around sometimes

This is an EARLY ACCESS GAME The creators are still working on it and they SEEM to update regularly.
But if you asked me they could release it now and id still be happy.

(please tell me if i left anything out)

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I actually just discovered this today. It seems to have a lot of potential. If you like Starmade, this is arguably better. It also has a single player resource based conquest mode which is really great if you don't have spergy friends to make shooty boats with.

Edit: I say it has a lot of potential but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty to do and see already.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 1, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Can I get some information on how singleplayer works? I'm highly addicted to games with complicated campaigns and learning curves and I'm seeing good things in youtube videos with fleets and resource management, but I'm always afraid of easily exploitable stuff in these voxel games. What is the general form of play for the campaign and is there room for real decision making and difficulty?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

MrBims posted:

Can I get some information on how singleplayer works? I'm highly addicted to games with complicated campaigns and learning curves and I'm seeing good things in youtube videos with fleets and resource management, but I'm always afraid of easily exploitable stuff in these voxel games. What is the general form of play for the campaign and is there room for real decision making and difficulty?

From what i played it plays a little like Mount and Blade. You start out with one base over a resource node that slowly gives you Resources. There are others around and you you need to fight for them. There are factions that you can piss off or trade with. Youve gotta construct ships and bases to protect you resources. So far its really hard even on an easy difficulty.

In my game i built a small moving oil derrick and tried to take a resource node. but the other guys reacted really hostile and sent so many ships that i just got overwhelmed. I shouldve built ships With AI to support me in the battle.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Im gonna post some screenshot before i give up on this thread.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm bummed this game doesn't get more attention. It's a lot of fun. There's a ton of ways to customize your ship's AI and weapons and the campaign mode is pretty addictive. Or you can just play in sandbox and unleash your creations on eachother. This game has way more to offer than the similar titles out there. Plus, the dev is highly active and updates frequently. I feel like I've definitely gotten 20 dollars worth out of the game so far, and I still haven't tried everything yet. I have yet to experiment with non-balloon based aircraft, submarines, and spacecraft.

This game is everything I ever loved about Garry's Mod. Building patched together vehicles and tweaking their AI and stuff to make them more efficient killing machines, only this game is built around the concept.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 3, 2015

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm bummed this game doesn't get more attention. It's a lot of fun. There's a ton of ways to customize your ship's AI and weapons and the campaign mode is pretty addictive. Or you can just play in sandbox and unleash your creations on eachother. This game has way more to offer than the similar titles out there. Plus, the dev is highly active and updates frequently. I feel like I've definitely gotten 20 dollars worth out of the game so far, and I still haven't tried everything yet. I have yet to experiment with non-balloon based aircraft, submarines, and spacecraft.

This game is everything I ever loved about Garry's Mod. Building patched together vehicles and tweaking their AI and stuff to make them more efficient killing machines, only this game is built around the concept.

If you get some Screenshots man, Id love to see them. This game is complicated and im trying to refine my constructions by drawing from other peoples designs.

Heres that gun on that Fortress that i cleaned up and made fancy

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I heard about this game from Robbaz, He has a good gameplay video if you guys wanna see what the game is about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCTRAEKMmI

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I was looking for a bit more explanation because the physics genre is full of 'the battering ram beats everything' stuff, but I figured I might as well try this out because of the new steam refund policy. It took me all of those two hours to figure out how to consistently put an engine on a boat. I had to start going through the tutorial videos to learn everything, so this game really isn't for the faint of heart, but after a few days this has really sunk its teeth into me. The lego explosions from dying vehicles is satisfying, but taking a ship down from the inside with guns in the middle of a fleet vs fleet battle was where I said yeah ok, this is something else.

I'm already glad I spent the twenty dollars, but with the sheer enormous complexity of the game - in all aspects of it, building, moving, fleet control, etc - I don't know how it can get a wide audience. This is the game you give to someone who wants a real Star Citizen but with a janky UI that will give you sea sickness and you have to learn from a manual as thick as a bible and it spills unnumbered pages all over the floor when you open it. You gotta take the bad with the good, but the good is definitely there for the few who can stomach the journey.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

MrBims posted:

I was looking for a bit more explanation because the physics genre is full of 'the battering ram beats everything' stuff, but I figured I might as well try this out because of the new steam refund policy. It took me all of those two hours to figure out how to consistently put an engine on a boat. I had to start going through the tutorial videos to learn everything, so this game really isn't for the faint of heart, but after a few days this has really sunk its teeth into me. The lego explosions from dying vehicles is satisfying, but taking a ship down from the inside with guns in the middle of a fleet vs fleet battle was where I said yeah ok, this is something else.

I'm already glad I spent the twenty dollars, but with the sheer enormous complexity of the game - in all aspects of it, building, moving, fleet control, etc - I don't know how it can get a wide audience. This is the game you give to someone who wants a real Star Citizen but with a janky UI that will give you sea sickness and you have to learn from a manual as thick as a bible and it spills unnumbered pages all over the floor when you open it. You gotta take the bad with the good, but the good is definitely there for the few who can stomach the journey.

Maybe i should put the UI shittiness thing in the OP, Its got a kinda Dwarf fortress learning curve though. Once you get past the UI you can have bunches of fun.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Random tidbits of info:

*Your character can control all weapons on the ship by being near a Fire Control Computer, and you can use a WASD-controllable third person camera by pressing Tab. So place the ship wheel and computer in an armored part of the vehicle and use Tab to move and shoot
*If you want to zoom in around the map without the third person camera being moved by your personal ship, press N twice
*Beams have more health than four single blocks
*Attach the stagger block to multiple-pad missile launchers and adjust the timer by pressing Q on it (.1 to .5 seconds) to stop missiles from being blown up by each other
*Attaching fragmentation sections behind explosive warheads on missiles, along with decreasing the cone of dispersal, is essentially a HEAT tank round. Use without a proximity fuse for maximum effect
*For initial resources in the campaign, you can remove unnecessary parts of the starting fortress and build a scrap smelter and crystal farm on it
*Keels are absolutely necessary for staying afloat
*Use prefabs!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I bought this ages ago but oh gawd the motion/sea sickness :stonk:
Does it lag less than it used to? I remember mid-size battles were pretty terrible because it would slideshow.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Croccers posted:

Does it lag less than it used to? I remember mid-size battles were pretty terrible because it would slideshow.

I don't know how well your computer works but I can have pretty big battles without it slowing down too much

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Press 'E' twice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yay someone else made a thread. I think mine dropped into the archives.

It's a good game. Buy it. It's neat. Make a flying battleship and fight bad guys.

MrBims posted:

*Keels are absolutely necessary for staying afloat

Pontoons also work :v: And they give you more space to put guns.

There's supposedly a big cannon overhaul coming soon which I'm pretty stoked for, the recent overhaul of the battle system and battle command UI was very good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 4, 2015

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The dev just added Lua blocks to the game for customized vehicle scripting. Not sure how functional they are yet but it should be the start of something glorious.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Hihohe posted:

I heard about this game from Robbaz, He has a good gameplay video if you guys wanna see what the game is about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCTRAEKMmI

The rocket barrage destroying those ships looks so cool, gonna have to buy this game

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
http://www.bundlestars.com/store/from-the-depths/
On sale now :toot:

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I felt like I had to pick up this game on sale, since I was already looking forward to it. Hopefully I can recreate some US military designs and see how they work. I've already looked at a lot of the premade ships and some of them are insanely detailed. The Andromeda is a crazy tough gunship that shreds mostly anything I've seen. I watched it get shot through completely twice, crash land and repair, then cut the jet engines back on to take off again. :stare: I think this is thanks to clever placement of the AI mainframe separate from the ammo and fuel storage areas, and plenty of repair bots scattered across the ship.

I'm gonna dive into the campaign now, even though so far I can't build anything better than an automated raft gunboat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The campaign is honestly fantastic and I look forward to the day the multiplayer is good enough for dedicated servers and faction warfare, because that'd be fun as heck. I love this game for all of its ambition and detail. Good, proper submarines are a pain to build and that's how it should be. And it isn't unnecessarily detailed except for maybe the engines, it is fantastic fun.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

texasmed posted:

Hopefully I can recreate some US military designs and see how they work.

The issue I have found with this is that meter^3 minimum on blocks make it hard to make anything smaller than a battle ship, unless you do a reverse scale. In which case your ship costs become insane.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I find that you can bribe some of the factions that are attacking you off with oil. It will keep them off your back until you can get suitable guns to combat them.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
This game is awesome. Finally got my first all-metal ship to work, it has a gigantic double barreled cannon on a turret with a 360 degree arc, and two batteries of five anti-air missiles. It absolutely shreds anything except aerial targets with anti-missile defences. I guess for those I just want a gun with high elevation and rate of fire?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Infinite Monkeys posted:

This game is awesome. Finally got my first all-metal ship to work, it has a gigantic double barreled cannon on a turret with a 360 degree arc, and two batteries of five anti-air missiles. It absolutely shreds anything except aerial targets with anti-missile defences. I guess for those I just want a gun with high elevation and rate of fire?

Lasers generally beat most other weapons hands down, especially against aerial targets. The ideal ship is basically a big laser.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

OwlFancier posted:

Lasers generally beat most other weapons hands down, especially against aerial targets. The ideal ship is basically a big laser.
I tried making a giant laser once, it was absolutely enormous but when I used it against a Marauder (my standard testing target) all it did was snipe off individual blocks from the Marauder's hull every time it fired - it was far less effective than a similarly sized missile battery or cannon would be. Is there some trick to building lasers that I'm missing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I've found missiles to be far more effective. Lasers are great for AA fire though, since they can do lots of focused damage.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah missiles seem the most powerful to me. I think it would be cool if there missile flare or something like that to protect against them.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

This game's pretty cool, I got it a while ago and keep coming back once in a while. I once made this big rear end turret that was way too huge for anything I can figure out how to build. Unfortunately I think I lost its save.

I'd appreciate a variant of the custom cannons where you could make gauss cannons or railguns using your ship's energy supply.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You can kinda make decoys through fake engine blocks attached to bits that stick out, with anti-missile defence all around it.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can kinda make decoys through fake engine blocks attached to bits that stick out, with anti-missile defence all around it.

I'm pretty sure that you can setup missiles with that flare addon, havent tried it yet though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I tried making a giant laser once, it was absolutely enormous but when I used it against a Marauder (my standard testing target) all it did was snipe off individual blocks from the Marauder's hull every time it fired - it was far less effective than a similarly sized missile battery or cannon would be. Is there some trick to building lasers that I'm missing?

Split the laser more, you can add more barrels and more Q switches to make it fire more beams at once, and cycle faster. Essentially going for maximum power isn't too useful, but you can simply spread out that power more and more until you're firing a laser machine-shotgun at things, and you can stick all of that into a very compact turret, limited only by the number of barrels you want to give it.

I've found missiles to be far more effective. Lasers are great for AA fire though, since they can do lots of focused damage.

Missiles have been buffed heavily recently, though they've always been quite good, but they are also hard countered by laser defences which non-DWG ships (and even some DWG capships) will have a lot of.

Going up against a full metal battleship bristling with guns and laser defences will make missiles less effective, though torpedoes will still work because lasers don't hit them underwater.

Lasers are harder to counter, the only thing that works is smoke dispensers and I don't think many ships mount those, and I don't know how well they work even if they do.

I really hope the cannon overhaul also touches on turret mounts because it's really annoying how easy they are to pop by hitting the single, fragile, connector block through a tonne of armour.

I like to build battleships but the turret popping propensity makes me tend towards just loving everything to death.

Also yes rocket powered battleships are completely practical.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 19, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

I really hope the cannon overhaul also touches on turret mounts because it's really annoying how easy they are to pop by hitting the single, fragile, connector block through a tonne of armour.

it seems like a recessed turret with the ammo and connector inside an armor citadel should be as resilient as anything, do they break without being directly hit or something

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ah yes I wanted to make a megathread about this as well.

I will post my submarines a bit later and explain how you can make them. They are quite fun and good if used right.

As a general tip for missiles:
They can be really good. Just don't strap explosives to them. A few frag warheads with a spread of 6 degree are probably the best armor piercing weapon short of lasers.

For mines and depth charges, explosives are okay.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

UberJew posted:

it seems like a recessed turret with the ammo and connector inside an armor citadel should be as resilient as anything, do they break without being directly hit or something

The recessed turret is actually very possible, its just that if the enemy breaks through the armour on one side the gun entirely breaks. It would be better to be able to designate at least a 3x3 base to the turret.

Also, kamikaze planes outfitted with rams and explosives that are fired from a sky-carrier are actually highly cost-effective. I'm trying to test mini-subs in order to see if they're effective at all against any targets. Missile subs are very potent though, as are standard torpedo subs.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The recessed turret is actually very possible, its just that if the enemy breaks through the armour on one side the gun entirely breaks. It would be better to be able to designate at least a 3x3 base to the turret.

Also, kamikaze planes outfitted with rams and explosives that are fired from a sky-carrier are actually highly cost-effective. I'm trying to test mini-subs in order to see if they're effective at all against any targets. Missile subs are very potent though, as are standard torpedo subs.

Mini subs are viable, but you need to armor and shield them up quite heavily. They rely on a massive distance to the enemy to get to a certain depths while obliterating them with long range torpedos.

Frag rounds with a cone of 6 and a elevation of around 30 make it so the hail if shrapnels actually penetrate through the ship and wreck it's insides effectively.

e: Okay, submarines.
There are two ways you can make a submarine work. The first is using automated control blocks, the second is an advanced controller. Make sure your submarine has no holes and is heavy enough to sink. Place a few air pumps to make sure it can be filled with air and stay afloat.

The first method is to place two control blocks: the first enables on all pumps if you are deeper than a certain depth, the other deactivates them if you get higher than you want. Around -100 is a decent depth for a sub.

The second is the advanced controller. You can bind airpumps to keys - T and G for example - and control how quickly you sink or raise.

You need a lot of jet stabilisers, they will keep your sub nice and straight. Hydrofoil are neat as well, but you can do without them. Here are mine!

My starter one, and a rather anemic one at that. It's cheap, only has two forward torpedos, 2 anti air missiles on the top. It can take care of the first few starter ships but other than that...eh. It also doesn't like to get hit at all.

Ah, now we are talking. All metal, all beast. With 4 frontal torpedo launchers, 8 anti air missiles, 8 mine launchers and two after torpedos it offers a rather brutal array of weapons. It's not too fast, but can take a punch. The shields help a lot, but if a HE shells comes through, the armor can take over.
And now~

500k metal. 3 layers of it on every side. Rotating shiels around the entire ship.

8 frontal torpedo tubes, each of which has the power to punch through any armor it encounters.

12 anti air missiles which are actuall quite nimble for their size. With 4 ejector add ons and ballast tanks they can be fired from about 120 metres.

And last but not least, two massive sideway torpedos that...are a bit overkill.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 20, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Yeah missiles seem the most powerful to me. I think it would be cool if there missile flare or something like that to protect against them.

There are IR flares you can put on missiles that work as attractor if you hit a ship and as normal flare as well. You can put a bunch of 1 size rockets on a small 360 turret, put IR flares on it, a few ejector add ons and make your own counter measure launcher.

Only works against IR seeker heads that do not use IR camera that target other things than heat sources.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Make sure to make your lasers are really strong, and then add one or two Q switches to pulse them. Don't forget frequency doubler and - most importantly - don't add too many focus optics. Try around a bit until you get a laser that can hit a target, but still wriggles around with every pulse.

If you do everything right, lasers will outdamage anything else you can offer.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 20, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UberJew posted:

Explosions have a somewhat irritating propensity to go through the seam between turret and vehicle and pop the connection through the hull. I also think they sometimes damage things through solid blocks.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

OwlFancier posted:

Explosions have a somewhat irritating propensity to go through the seam between turret and vehicle and pop the connection through the hull. I also think they sometimes damage things through solid blocks.

The best bet I have found if to make the above deck turret as big as you can and make the threw deck connector as small as you can, also armor both the bottom of the above deck turret and the deck beneath it as well.

5 blocks between the edge of the above deck turret and the edge of the connection hole seems to stop explosion damage from snaking in between your turret and deck to detonate your below deck turret with out killing the armor, at least for reasonable sized expositions.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 20, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turret rings work in the game I think, you can put blocks directly against each other and it won't cause any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Turret rings work in the game I think, you can put blocks directly against each other and it won't cause any problems.

You can, it's just that isn't how a turret ring works, the actual connecting part is a single pivot block, whereas a turret ring can function even with part of it removed because the rest of it will still hold the turret on.

Actually getting turrets to not pop off is remarkably hard, a huge number of the ingame designs are extremely susceptible to it, the turrets pop well before the ship takes much damage. Even a perfect seam isn't necessarily treated as such by the game, because the blocks aren't connected.

This is, in some ways, another benefit of lasers, because with enough steering mirrors you can get 360 degree coverage with five overlapping static laser barrels.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 20, 2015

• Locked thread