Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Michaellaneous posted:

Turret rings work in the game I think, you can put blocks directly against each other and it won't cause any problems.

Explosion damage will slip in between hull top and turret bottom even if there is no gap between those two things.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually getting turrets to not pop off is remarkably hard, a huge number of the ingame designs are extremely susceptible to it, the turrets pop well before the ship takes much damage. Even a perfect seam isn't necessarily treated as such by the game, because the blocks aren't connected.

I start all my turrets on the very bottom of my hull, that plus the 5 block space, fully armored below deck turret compartments, and low free board means I very rarely lose my turrets before I lose my firing pieces.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The issues with turrets is, well...having them armored and effective takes so much space. Shields are rather effective, and getting powerfull engines isn't too hard. Use more shields, use IR flare launchers and smoke deployers. Don't rely on your metal alone.

Also, angle your armor whereever possible.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Today's patch notes posted:

[1.78] Turret and spinner block health increased from 150 to 500 to help with 'turret pop'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

The issues with turrets is, well...having them armored and effective takes so much space. Shields are rather effective, and getting powerfull engines isn't too hard. Use more shields, use IR flare launchers and smoke deployers. Don't rely on your metal alone.

Also, angle your armor whereever possible.

Also don't put ammo boxes (even turret ones) near each other, they chain react.

Does angled armour actually help? I know the slope blocks don't actually count as slopes for the purpose of collisions but I dunno if there's some hacky special case for projectile weaponry.

It's hard to tell in any case because explosive damage doesn't seem to give a buggery one way or the other and that usually wipes out any block it hits.

It would be nice if, like in real life, non-perpendicular hits stood a good chance of bouncing off without detonating, or if the explosion itself were deflected as well. It's currently quite trivial to put enough explosive damage onto a shell to render the impact fairly irrelevant.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 21, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Yes, sloped armor does help a lot against any kind of kinetic weapon. AP has a higher chance of penetrating, anything HE will still blow up.

But against frag missiles, shells and kinetic missiles it does a lot of wonders. Flat surfaces are a huge liablility in any case and also look stupid.

e: A mix of sloped armor and a sloped shield will drastrically reduce the amount of damage you take because the only thing that can cause serious issues are HE shells that manage to penetrate the shield.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Today I learned that you need multiple air-tight compartments on your boat so when water gets in it won't sink.

Yeah yall are designing super-ships and I'm over here trying to make something float :shrug:

The only problem I see with boats this small are getting a gun on it with any appreciable amount of firepower. It seems like you always need a barrel 15 squares long to ensure good accuracy, and then you need 6 auto loaders to feed it.

edit: I have to use minimum graphics because once you load more than 10 million RP worth of crap, the game really chugs.

2: A nice trick with cannons that I learned is to mount the firing piece inverted, allowing you to make for a much lower-profile turret. I kind of wish they would just put a connector on the bottom of the firing piece to prevent me having to do that, though.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 21, 2015

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

texasmed posted:

Today I learned that you need multiple air-tight compartments on your boat so when water gets in it won't sink.

Yeah yall are designing super-ships and I'm over here trying to make something float :shrug:

The only problem I see with boats this small are getting a gun on it with any appreciable amount of firepower. It seems like you always need a barrel 15 squares long to ensure good accuracy, and then you need 6 auto loaders to feed it.

edit: I have to use minimum graphics because once you load more than 10 million RP worth of crap, the game really chugs.

2: A nice trick with cannons that I learned is to mount the firing piece inverted, allowing you to make for a much lower-profile turret. I kind of wish they would just put a connector on the bottom of the firing piece to prevent me having to do that, though.

I say go with it and build a sub.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

texasmed posted:

Much like WW 1 DDs if you want a small ships to be a threat, give them torpedoes(missiles).

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

texasmed posted:

That is an all metal boat with....not a lot of space below. Try to make your boats a bit larger and lower, so there is enough room for air. A mix of metal and wood is okay for a starter ship, so don't worry.
And yes, it's generally good to seperate your ship into multiple segmets...like real ships. We did not build them like that for no reason.

e: Different barrels affect accuracy. The best is the normal barrel with no movement. You don't need motorized barrles if you have a turret, just one or two elevation one. Also one or two gauges do wonders.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 21, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

texasmed posted:

There are some alternatives.

1. Fill spaces with wood, or light metal alloy, both are less dense than water and will float regardless of being airtight. Useful if your ship is too small to compartmentalise, also serves as extra armour for your internal components.

2. Much like real life, the solution for high firepower on small boats is to not use cannons. Missiles and torpedoes are much more powerful for their size and footprint, cannons are mostly good against large targets at long range, though on the whole honestly cannons aren't very good.

3. You don't have to put guns in turrets, the firing piece itself has some traverse, you will have to sacrifice some accuracy (for your barrel length, anyway) but you can put your ammo and stuff throughout the ship.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
So I just got this game during the sale, and I'm trying to build a fast attack boat. Unfortunately, once it gets above 18-20 m/s, it decides to do its best imitation of a dolphin:

http://gfycat.com/TensePeskyGypsymoth

The boat raises out of the water, balances on its propellers and tips over backwards until it capsizes. It simply will not remain stable over 20 m/s. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it; long noses, short noses, flat and pointed bottoms, hydrofoils, upwards-facing propellers on the stern, keels and counterweights.
On both ends.

I try to align my propellers with the COM, but no how many I add or however I arrange them, once it gets over 20 m/s , up it goes. It's like some kind of threshold that can't be passed.
I'm kind of out of ideas here. I Any suggestions?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That's over 30 knots. I'm pretty sure you'll need a lot more weight to keep it in the water.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I would try either replacing the bottom of your boat with lead, or mounting thrusters to the top of you boat that fire when you go forward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trochanter posted:

So I just got this game during the sale, and I'm trying to build a fast attack boat. Unfortunately, once it gets above 18-20 m/s, it decides to do its best imitation of a dolphin:

http://gfycat.com/TensePeskyGypsymoth

The boat raises out of the water, balances on its propellers and tips over backwards until it capsizes. It simply will not remain stable over 20 m/s. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it; long noses, short noses, flat and pointed bottoms, hydrofoils, upwards-facing propellers on the stern, keels and counterweights.
On both ends.

I try to align my propellers with the COM, but no how many I add or however I arrange them, once it gets over 20 m/s , up it goes. It's like some kind of threshold that can't be passed.
I'm kind of out of ideas here. I Any suggestions?

If you look at your gif, you'll see that the lower propellers are contacting the water first (obviously) and this is causing the whole ship to tilt upwards due to the offcentre thrust. It doesn't matter how balanced your potential thrust is if part of it is lifting out of the water and thus not applying any force, the bottom of the ship will always get first dibs on thrust. You may be able to also solve the problem by removing the propellers which are lower than your CoM.

Otherwise, make it longer, make it heavier along its length, and use hydrofoils to lift it out of the water.

Also consider powering it with jet engines rather than just propellers, as propellers will somewhat necessarily be mounted more below the center of mass than above (because if your boat has as much surface area above the CoM as below it underwater, it has sunk) but sticking some air based propulsion on the top helps force the nose down.

Boats do tend to lift out of the water a bit but you can build them to go pretty fast, it's just tricky to balance it, but a good start would be, as suggested, making it heavier. It's less about the mass and more about the drag, very heavy ships can move very fast if they have sleek profiles in the water. What you want is basically a seacat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 24, 2015

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It seems that a lack of buyoancy was the problem; I actually widened the hull by two spaces, which made it rise out of the water more and made it far more stable. My latest craft can top out at 27 m/s:

The base design can go around 25, as you can see by the ton of propellers tacked on, any faster and you start to hit dimishing returns.

Now to see if I can make a warship that can hit 40. I mean, it's not like I'm planting any flags here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vyj5kcvDrk

Trochanter fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 25, 2015

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I've been following this game for a while and can't wait to dive in, but I was curious what you guys thought about the cannons. Right now, IIRC it's pretty trivial to make most custom cannons fire at machine-gun speed, which looks really silly on the larger battleships. It's a trivial point but I'm curious if anyone else has similar feelings about it. I'd love to have slower-firing guns that fire a much more powerful shell.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

I've been following this game for a while and can't wait to dive in, but I was curious what you guys thought about the cannons. Right now, IIRC it's pretty trivial to make most custom cannons fire at machine-gun speed, which looks really silly on the larger battleships. It's a trivial point but I'm curious if anyone else has similar feelings about it. I'd love to have slower-firing guns that fire a much more powerful shell.

I believe that's what the upcoming cannon overhaul is going to be mostly focused on. There'll still be the silly machine guns, but they'll be far less powerful than proper cannons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I am very hopeful that the cannon overhaul will improve them, they're not in a very good place at the moment, volume matters far more than build quality.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Engines in this game are weird. The only efficient small engine is a large lump of parts.

Also my ship is so light that I can't keep my prop under the waterline.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bondematt posted:

Engines in this game are weird. The only efficient small engine is a large lump of parts.

Most ships benifit greatly from a keel. It's best if you use lead blocks for it. If it is a really small ship, just start adding a block in the front and the back. Keep going until you have reached a good floating depth.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Bondematt posted:

There are two ways to gauge engine effectiveness; most efficient and most compact. You can fit as many cylinders as you want but, generally, power of the engine(s) scales geometrically. So an unbroken line of cylinders covered in carburateurs and a couple superchargers and the vast majority of the thing covered in fuel tanks will get you the most power per area. However, no matter what you do if you get the cylinder count to about 10+ rows you are starting to get into insane amounts of power. If you are oil limited but not space limited you can leave a space between rows of cylinders and put extra carburateurs and such in between the rows. Near as I can tell the exhaust module does nothing really.

I've put over 100 hours into this game and it is really quite impressive. The first time you go into battle and are facing these huge air ships held up with balloons leaves quite the impression.

What is the best weapon also depends on who you are fighting. The first enemy is usually the wooden airship guys and missiles do great against them. There is a faction of nothing but gigantic metal boats and huge guns and flying ships shooting cannons do really well.

There are some positional strategies you can engage in; such as putting your tanky ship/flier way out front and have sniping laser guys way, way, way in the back. You can always out range everyone with lasers but sometimes they take a while to really have an impact on the enemy.

There is a youtuber named Lathryx that did a fairly good video series on the game.

In my opinion missiles are kind of pointless, cannons are able to be made way more powerful, and lasers can get way more range and can easily shoot fliers. The missiles have short range and miss quite a bit for their rate of fire and damage. That being said, usually in my early games I spam missiles since they are easier to build and understand.

Little flying helicopter dudes with missiles were, for me, a great early game option since they moved around quickly and could have a reasonable amount of firepower.

edit: also stealing other factions ships and stripping them down for resources is really, really fun.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 27, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Missiles have a distinct advantage of being able to attack targets of all types depending on what loadout you use, and are also extremely compact for their power. A massive rack of missiles is very powerful and takes up less space than a comparable cannon or laser.

Additionally, torpedoes are the only weapon type that isn't blockable, as laser defence doesn't work against underwater targets, while smoke screens and shields can block laser and cannon rounds, while EMP warheads can seriously damage and short out key systems without having to get through armour first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bit of a bump but thought some of you might be interested in the new cannon overhaul.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Bit of a bump but thought some of you might be interested in the new cannon overhaul.

Yesss.
Yesssss.
This looks amazing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

It looks like a mad scientist's experimental weapon. I love it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=723

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10051

There's quite a lot of information in the threads there. Start at the back and work forwards I would say.

Long and short is you get customisable ammunition, more cannon parts, and more intricate reloading mechanics. More options for machine gun cannons or sniper cannons and the like.

They can fire very fast shells:

http://i.imgur.com/4aUC3NU.gifv

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 15, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new custom cannon system is live on stable, I believe, or will be later today if it isn't already. They're very complicated but look awesome and offer a lot of variety.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The new custom cannon system is live on stable, I believe, or will be later today if it isn't already. They're very complicated but look awesome and offer a lot of variety.

It's pretty simple. I'll write up a full guide on it a bit later.

e: Actually there are plenty tuts online. Use that.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 27, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why putting two loaders on the cannon makes it fire two shots at once instead of twice as fast.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why putting two loaders on the cannon makes it fire two shots at once instead of twice as fast.

That's a bug.

e: Also, it will only make the cannon *load* twice as fast. It still has to wait for the cooldown.

So if you have a cooldown of 20 seconds, and a loading time of 10 seconds from autoloader to cannon, you can fire every 10 seconds. Adding a third autoloader would do nothing.

So always check the numbers on the ammo screen. No need to build huge assemblies for reasonable cannons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get that there's a bunch of limitations but the shotgun bug has been in since the early builds, would have hoped it'd be fixed.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A few things about the new cannons:

.5 gauges sound like fun, but you will reach insane amounts of cooldown. 100 seconds and upwards. It's just not viable.

As a rule of thumb, this system seems to be pretty close to reality. 0.1 gauges are fast firing guns, .15 can already hit pretty hard, and anything from .2 to .35 are just extremely powerful.

The more gunpowder a shell has, the longer the cooldown is. A good value for reload vs. speed is 300m/s. That makes the shell fly really far but you can have a good refire rate as well.

AP Capped with some HE is perfectly fine as normal shell. Maybe a depth fuze if you want to get fancy. Especially for smaller calibres its pretty good.

Shell length is a bit tricky. For smaller gauges you can make much more complex shells and still have 1 or 2m long shells. It's a bit of a throwup of what you actually want. But as a rule of thumb anything below .1 gets good results with 1m, .1 to .2 with 2 and anything above is okay with 4m long shells.

Keep in mind this is based on loving around in the vehicle editor.

Tennance
Feb 8, 2013
It is worth remembering that space in a vanilla planet begins at 500m, and therefore for a flak cannon lower velocities are all you need, as you will be able to bapbap most things above you and the AI will happily just angle your guns up for range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seem to be having some luck with 40mm autocannons, I refit one of my outposts to replace the scanner with a shilka turret. It'll probably wreck house with anything light, but the belt fed reload delay will be killer if it doesn't wipe out the enemy in the first salvo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I seem to be having some luck with 40mm autocannons, I refit one of my outposts to replace the scanner with a shilka turret. It'll probably wreck house with anything light, but the belt fed reload delay will be killer if it doesn't wipe out the enemy in the first salvo.

Remember that you can build turrets that have a base below deck. Feel free to use multiple bells to maximise your destruction power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can and usually do for purpose built ones but the outposts weren't designed to be armed so I'm having fun trying to make a very small but effective turret.

So far I've got an 16mm gun with conventional loaders which just plinks away at stuff while the 50mm gun can fire 30 rounds every minute or so.

Works pretty well, took out a nessie and some of those little airships with just the 18mm gun, the new cannons are very nice in that you can make very accurate weapons which don't suffer range and effectiveness dropoffs against armored targets by sacrificing a little of their sheer power against unarmored targets.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

This game is amazing

Would love to play some coop games with goons. Hmu

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The new stable version has just come out with the new engines, localized resources, reactive armor, and also PID controllers apparently. Time to start a new campaign to try this stuff out (oh god no more unlimited shield and laser power, RIP my ships)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BMan posted:

new engines

Yesssss. Hopefully this means smaller engines don't have to be horribly inefficient. Also maybe it'll make a use for fuel tanks, since the fuel on the old engines was enough to last to the heat death of the universe for anything larger than one bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BMan posted:

The new stable version has just come out with the new engines, localized resources, reactive armor, and also PID controllers apparently. Time to start a new campaign to try this stuff out (oh god no more unlimited shield and laser power, RIP my ships)

The PID stuff is gonna make the squirrels even more obnoxiously hard to hit once people figure out the settings to get them to roll while doing the salmon dives.

• Locked thread