Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

yeah that cat is about two seconds from loving you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
How do I get my friends' cat to not be such a loving rear end in a top hat all the goddamn time. It keeps trying to bite or claw at my things, while leaving everyone else's stuff alone. And hisses at me when I try to put my stuff out of its reach. So far my friends have settled for just scaring him away with a little spray bottle, but I need a more final solution.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

How do I get my friends' cat to not be such a loving rear end in a top hat all the goddamn time. It keeps trying to bite or claw at my things, while leaving everyone else's stuff alone. And hisses at me when I try to put my stuff out of its reach. So far my friends have settled for just scaring him away with a little spray bottle, but I need a more final solution.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bedlamdan posted:

I need a more final solution.

Look at this literal Hitler,plotting to genocide the mews. :godwin:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Look at this literal Hitler,plotting to genocide the mews. :godwin:

yes, you caught the reference I was making, but seriously I will genocide that loving cat if it keeps trying to bite me when I just go out of my way to avoid it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
You're all lucky. My whole family prefers dogs and they are annoying as all get out! :(

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Bedlamdan posted:

yes, you caught the reference I was making, but seriously I will genocide that loving cat if it keeps trying to bite me when I just go out of my way to avoid it.

Spray bottle of vinegar mixed with water. You don't even have to spray it directly at the cat; the smell will be enough to keep him away.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

You're all lucky. My whole family prefers dogs and they are annoying as all get out! :(

gently caress yourself

Simian_Prime posted:

Spray bottle of vinegar mixed with water. You don't even have to spray it directly at the cat; the smell will be enough to keep him away.

I'll see if friends are down for that, thank you.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Bedlamdan posted:

gently caress yourself

I'll see if friends are down for that, thank you.

No prob. Make sure it's a clear vinegar, like rice or white wine, so it doesn't stain.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I love dogs but I was briefly dating this girl with a pug and holy poo poo pugs are not cute. Not at all. They are disgusting and smell and wheeze constantly. It was like a sweaty danny devito kept trying to worm its way into bed.

I can attest that both Border Collies and Boston Terriers are chill dogs though.

But lets check out an ADVENTURE DOG

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I love dogs but I was briefly dating this girl with a pug and holy poo poo pugs are not cute. Not at all. They are disgusting and smell and wheeze constantly. It was like a sweaty danny devito kept trying to worm its way into bed.

I can attest that both Border Collies and Boston Terriers are chill dogs though.

But lets check out an ADVENTURE DOG

Pugs are cute, and they look like bread.

That dog in your pic is a Good Dog however. :neckbeard:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Pugs have been engineered over the years to be so corpulent and feeble they can no longer clean themselves or breed without assistance.

much like yourselves

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Apparently if you squeeze a pug the right wrong way, it's eyeballs will pop out of their sockets. :psyduck:

Serf
May 5, 2011

The sad thing is that if I could have a dog, I would get a pug. Those little fuckers are so cute and I'd be drat happy to have one.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Serf posted:

The sad thing is that if I could have a dog, I would get a pug. Those little fuckers are so cute and I'd be drat happy to have one.

Yeah! YEAH!!!

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Serf posted:

Pugs are adorable, but I can never see one without hearing Maria Bamford talking about the Little Angels Pug Rescue in the Glendale Petco, with the trainer lady saying "These are Not! Smart! Animals!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usRhJyUi1n4

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

Pugs are adorable, but I can never see one without hearing Maria Bamford talking about the Little Angels Pug Rescue in the Glendale Petco, with the trainer lady saying "These are Not! Smart! Animals!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usRhJyUi1n4

This video is hilarious and Bamford is a genius, but the pug/corgi combo is a double whammy of doggie cuteness and I can't handle it.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm out of town for a week or two and I visited the local game store (WAY bigger than the one in my hometown!). Two books caught my eye; Legend of the Burning Sands, and The One Ring (which comes in a snazzy box with dice n stuff). I found an abandoned F&F about the latter but it was abandoned before going into much detail. I'm probably gonna pick up one of the two because my gf has a bunch of credit at the store that we need to burn before we leave. Anyone have experience with either of them? Or know where I can read more nitty-gritty F&F style stuff about em?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so to give us an actual TG topic to discuss(as much as I'm loving the pet chat), here's a question, what are some original RPG settings you've seen on other sites that you'd want to run and/or play a game in?

some favorites of mine;

The City Built Around The Tarrasque- a D&D Campaign Setting centered around a city built around The Tarrasque after it was imprisoned centuries ago

Voices From Below and The Long Stairs
The Long Stairs: Second Landing
a pair of threads that's basically Special Ops in The Underdark

Transmissions From The Undead Apocalypse- a Zombie Apocalypse with the Undead being more of the Resident Evil sort than anything(with an underlying psychic/eldritch bent), with the survivors being in more direct contact with each other than what's the norm for this sort of setting

Mythos Supers: Oh What May Be Wrought With This Hideous Might- Superheroes with ties to the Mythos and all the horrible things that implies

Dreamers In The Dark- Inception meets Lovecraft's Dreamlands with a touch of Delta Green mixed in

The Manifold Worlds of Humanity- a setting inspired by Dune that takes off in some very unique ways, and is one of the most creative settings I've ever seen

Mortasheen- quite possibly the most unique "Mon" setting I've ever seen, created by my good friend Bogleech, with hundreds of unique monsters already described and beautifully illustrated, this one's going to be getting an official Tabletop RPG sometime in the future(although that might be a while as it's been in development since 2012)

unfortunately most of the other ones I've seen are ones that came from 4chan's /tg/ board so I'm hesitant to link any of those

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So I looked at Mortasheen and it seems legit good, I love goofy monsters and I dig the art style. It is a sad thing though, that anytime someone says some variation of 'in development for X years' I brace for impact. Also the depraven is gross. Like not grogs.txt awful but it's gross. A lot of the other monsters are cool, like the heebies and the (non-euphemistic) sausage monster. I didn't look at all of them, just clicked on some random names.

e eff c

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 4, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been binge-listening to RPPR's Call of Cthulhu games and now I really want to look into a d100-based game, but there are so many variations of RuneQuest and I don't know jack about Glorantha. Where do I even begin?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The City Around a Tarrasque thing is pretty cool. I'd love to play in/run a game with that as a centerpiece.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been binge-listening to RPPR's Call of Cthulhu games and now I really want to look into a d100-based game, but there are so many variations of RuneQuest and I don't know jack about Glorantha. Where do I even begin?

Rolemaster! :v:

Apparently BRP Fantasy whateverthefuck is pretty good as far as BRP goes. I can't remember what the specific name of the book you'd want is, I seem to recall they've got some mess of editions going on.

WFRP 2E was okay-ish. I dunno how hard it would be to get the books nowadays. I'd actually like to see the thing cleaned up and turned into an old-schooly gritty fantasy game, somewhere in between the weighty fantasy-science of the 40k RPGs and WFRP2.

I don't think there are actually any good percentile games out there. At least, none that I know of.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I've always wanted to play in a Literal Points of light campaign

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elfgames posted:

I've always wanted to play in a Literal Points of light campaign

so basically Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles then?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've always wanted to play in the Dissidents in Darland setting. There's a lot of directions you can go without overloading the setting with too much information, and the fact that it's alt-fantasy Weimar Germany appeals to me as a history buff.

I heard all the horror stories, figured it couldn't be that bad, skimmed the combat section of what was supposed to be the simplified version of RM (Rolemaster Express) and got scared off.

This is my cat:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

so basically Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles then?

The Ghostlines setting is kind of like that, right?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

I heard all the horror stories, figured it couldn't be that bad, skimmed the combat section of what was supposed to be the simplified version of RM (Rolemaster Express) and got scared off.

I never got on the Rolemaster Express train, but I'm pretty sure it has the same problem all other versions of Rolemaster have had: It makes itself look way more complicated than it actually is. It's not all that bad compared to any other 80's-90's games, but it does an abysmal job of explaining itself. And it's still an 80's-90's game, so digging into it you'll still only find an at best mediocre game anyway. (The crit charts are still fun as hell, and everyone loved them in the short MERP game I ran for the express purpose of experiencing ridiculous 80's gaming.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Long Stairs actually showed up in an altered form in the Monsters and Other Childish things Road Trip mega-adventure, as ripping open the dungeon to let more monsters out was the ultimate goal of the adventure big bad.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm out of town for a week or two and I visited the local game store (WAY bigger than the one in my hometown!). Two books caught my eye; Legend of the Burning Sands, and The One Ring (which comes in a snazzy box with dice n stuff). I found an abandoned F&F about the latter but it was abandoned before going into much detail. I'm probably gonna pick up one of the two because my gf has a bunch of credit at the store that we need to burn before we leave. Anyone have experience with either of them? Or know where I can read more nitty-gritty F&F style stuff about em?
Kemper Boyd loves The One Ring to bits and wrote a long-rear end review of it for GamerXP.

Legend of the Burning Sands is Legend of the Five Rings's Arabian Nights -style companion game. As far as cultural stereotypes go, I don't think it's too offensive, but it's based on the third edition L5R system, which wasn't nearly as good as the current fourth. I dunno, you could head into the L5R thread to find out more maybe.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Fallen London would be a pretty excellent setting, both in terms of tone and flexibility. If you want to plumb the deep mysteries of the setting and answer the big questions (why do the Masters of the Bazaar tax love stories? What happened to the Fallen Cities before London? What is the Vake, exactly?) you can, but you can also just smuggle tea and prisoner's honey with the cover of the darkness if you don't feel like it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Just be aware there is a revised version of The One Ring that comes as a hardcover. From what I understand it is a good improvement in rules clarity.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

Fallen London would be a pretty excellent setting, both in terms of tone and flexibility. If you want to plumb the deep mysteries of the setting and answer the big questions (why do the Masters of the Bazaar tax love stories? What happened to the Fallen Cities before London? What is the Vake, exactly?) you can, but you can also just smuggle tea and prisoner's honey with the cover of the darkness if you don't feel like it.

i think it was actually going to have a tabletop rpg adaptation, by vincent baker, but nothing ever came of it

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Tollymain posted:

i think it was actually going to have a tabletop rpg adaptation, by vincent baker, but nothing ever came of it

Yeah, I think there was a Knife and Candle tabletop game that was in the works and then just died quietly. I agree though, its one of my favorite fictional worlds and is a fantastic setting for RPGs.

Plus I would love to just look at a beautiful book full of art and worldbuilding for The Neath.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Reene posted:

yeah that cat is about two seconds from loving you up

TO BE FAIR I did not take that picture of Yorrick! My mom took it while I was out of town and she was petsitting for me! So, yeah, he's mad that someone else is IN HIS HOUSE, probably! Though actually he rather likes my family! I'll put up more pics tonight, becuase he is a great cat.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought about removing the image link, but then realized that this post would not have cat in it.

Anyhows, try Delta Green! It's Cthulhu-y enough, but based in the 90s/2000s, so I think it is very easy to relate to. Plus, who doesn't love government conspiracies?

The government, most likely.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ettin plz change thread title to TG August Cat Thread

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

LuiCypher posted:

I thought about removing the image link, but then realized that this post would not have cat in it.

Anyhows, try Delta Green! It's Cthulhu-y enough, but based in the 90s/2000s, so I think it is very easy to relate to. Plus, who doesn't love government conspiracies?

The government, most likely.

The new version's rules for characters were previewed at a GenCon panel and they're pretty slick, too. Definitely designed with an eye towards speed of play. I imagine the handout will be posted online fairly soon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you want a traditional d100 Cthulhu game, either of the last two Call of Cthulhu editions are fine. As far as Runequest goes, plain old Runequest 6 is complex but it's not a horrible mess or anything. You just have to decide what you want to do with it and figure out a game from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The only time I'm able to get a photo of this 19.4 lb monster of a cat is when he's sleeping.

• Locked thread