Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

This is awesome. I'm jealous.

After 7 weeks and 10,000 miles at my new job i'm finally out of the stupid debt i put myself in by trying to work for myself. Also, i'm still owed a bit more from a couple people so i'm also slightly in the black too, and i have some stuff to (try) sell.

The company i'm with now love me, and the boss asked me the other day how i get around so fast. Seems the other drivers are lazy as poo poo and long everything out, despite being paid by the job and not by the hour. Hoping i can keep at the current turnover for at least a few more weeks and actually get some money saved up again. Yaaaay work, i love it.

Did you end up moving to Norway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't like waking up hating myself. It ruins my productivity for the day.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Adiabatic posted:

Astrophotography is super hard holy poo poo.

I've got a T-ring for my Canon, but achieving a good polar alignment to shoot exposures over more than a second without motion blurring is just insanely difficult for me. I've even got a polar scope inside the loving HYPERTUNED mount and I still suck. Honestly I wouldn't even try DSO's without an autoguider or the patience of a saint, maybe both.

I can also say that making a Bahtinov Mask out of cardboard or something was easily the biggest Eureka moment ever. I don't know how anyone could achieve proper focus without one, Once you have it set you're good for the night and no longer have that variable to gently caress up.

:goonsay:

Forgive my ignorance, Bahtinov Mask? Whazzat? The only real astrophotog i've done has been in the realm of 30 - 60 second galaxy exposures with the kit lens at ISO 3200 on my manual tripod, so any of the advanced terms are kinda lost on me :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

T1g4h posted:

Forgive my ignorance, Bahtinov Mask? Whazzat? The only real astrophotog i've done has been in the realm of 30 - 60 second galaxy exposures with the kit lens at ISO 3200 on my manual tripod, so any of the advanced terms are kinda lost on me :v:

It was created in 2008, so its super new, but it's the easiest loving way to achieve focus I've ever seen.

with AP you set the focus to the camera once and never have to touch it again, so it's either perfect or you're gonna get some blurry blob. In my case I suck at everything else so I still get a blurry blob but at least it's perfectly focused.

A Bahtinov Mask is a cover with slits in it that goes over the tube inlet. It diffracts the incoming light in such a way that two diffraction spikes form an x shape, and a third is vertical between them at perfect focus. When improperly focused, the vertical bar will be shifted left or right of the center of the X, and moving the dials will move the vertical diffraction spike.

The Wikipedia page explains it expertly and simply, and has some great visuals.

Also, I'd love to know how your galaxy photos came out!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, accepted the job offer for a new position at a different company doing Development Operations.

Just in time apparently too, one of the marketing guys at my current job who is buddy-buddy with someone in the know says they were ranting in raving about how I don't seem to do much anymore and that I'm not worth the money I'm being paid (I'm being paid $65k to do Systems Administration AND run a Helpdesk AND manage everything under the sun here) when they previously paid an outsourced IT Management company $80k, and they only came on site once a week. When I was hired, they complain of so many issues due to the unavailability of support. As soon as I corrected all the major issues, they started complaining that I apparently didn't have enough to do, which is normal and I'm used to hearing this.

Time to move.

Jesus, gently caress that place. Welcome to the DevOps world, hopefully you found a place that don't just use it as a fancier name for the Ops team and lets the devs toss poo poo code at you to make work. I am thinking over moving into a pre-sales engineering role since I am sick of how my team is being treated at the current job. After ~8+ years in ops/oncall roles, I really like the idea of not having to carry a pager anymore. More customer facing work, but it should be good for my career in the longer term.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Negromancer posted:

Jesus, gently caress that place. Welcome to the DevOps world, hopefully you found a place that don't just use it as a fancier name for the Ops team and lets the devs toss poo poo code at you to make work. I am thinking over moving into a pre-sales engineering role since I am sick of how my team is being treated at the current job. After ~8+ years in ops/oncall roles, I really like the idea of not having to carry a pager anymore. More customer facing work, but it should be good for my career in the longer term.

This company ONLY does Software Development, and I'm being hired to fill a specific niche of being the go between for the Programmers and the Operations guys, since the Programmers and Ops guys keep running into issues and pointing fingers. They brought me in for the interview and I solved a major problem within 5 minutes, the two lead programmers just turned their heads when I tossed a possible solution, looked at each other, and nodded. I'll take that as a good sign.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I am freakin PUMPED

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CommieGIR posted:

This company ONLY does Software Development, and I'm being hired to fill a specific niche of being the go between for the Programmers and the Operations guys, since the Programmers and Ops guys keep running into issues and pointing fingers. They brought me in for the interview and I solved a major problem within 5 minutes, the two lead programmers just turned their heads when I tossed a possible solution, looked at each other, and nodded. I'll take that as a good sign.

drat, it sounds like you found a job that actually uses the dev/ops title as intended. Best of luck.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Well my PM is a good friend of mine who said to me "dude no piss test" when first telling me about the job. One of the girls in the crew is also good friends with my girl so that is cool too. Going out for some beers and food with them all in a few.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well my PM is a good friend of mine who said to me "dude no piss test" when first telling me about the job. One of the girls in the crew is also good friends with my girl so that is cool too. Going out for some beers and food with them all in a few.

When the institute piss tests I will sell you my pee.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sounds like a deal.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

I am freakin PUMPED

Have you been drinking green tea all god drat day?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

It was created in 2008, so its super new, but it's the easiest loving way to achieve focus I've ever seen.

with AP you set the focus to the camera once and never have to touch it again, so it's either perfect or you're gonna get some blurry blob. In my case I suck at everything else so I still get a blurry blob but at least it's perfectly focused.

A Bahtinov Mask is a cover with slits in it that goes over the tube inlet. It diffracts the incoming light in such a way that two diffraction spikes form an x shape, and a third is vertical between them at perfect focus. When improperly focused, the vertical bar will be shifted left or right of the center of the X, and moving the dials will move the vertical diffraction spike.

The Wikipedia page explains it expertly and simply, and has some great visuals.

Also, I'd love to know how your galaxy photos came out!

Holy poo poo that sounds super useful. I've been doing all my focusing the hard way, looking through the camera viewfinder and just squinting and manually tweaking the focus ring. That mask sounds like it makes things infinitely easier!

So far this is the best I've managed with my gear, but it turned out cool so i'm okay with that. I've dabbled in exposure stacking and getting multiple hours worth of star trails as well, but I need more batteries to properly do that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

Have you been drinking green tea all god drat day?

My brakes and csl rack and bits are on :3:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo that sounds super useful. I've been doing all my focusing the hard way, looking through the camera viewfinder and just squinting and manually tweaking the focus ring. That mask sounds like it makes things infinitely easier!

So far this is the best I've managed with my gear, but it turned out cool so i'm okay with that. I've dabbled in exposure stacking and getting multiple hours worth of star trails as well, but I need more batteries to properly do that.

This is fuckin' cool as hell, I wish I still had my old telescope, it was a p fuckin nice celestron with a motorized base and poo poo. I think I used it maybe 3 times :(

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I missed the last two thirds of the July chat thread but thanks to this OP I know exactly what is going on. I took Friday off for my kids birthday and we took her to a local theme park. As we were driving on the freeway during non-peak hour traffic we were in the middle lane, to the right of the passing lane and HOV lane. Up ahead I saw some abrupt brake lights so I preemptively slowed down and made sure I had an out at each angle. To my rear left the J-Body cavalier was not so lucky. A HUGE railroad tie was chilling across the passing lane. They tried to swerve where they could but they were too close to other cars. Rather than wiping out one of the people next to them they took as much space as they could in their own lane and drilled this thing at somewhere between 60 and 70 MPH at impact. I caught the sight in my side mirror to see the left side of the car catch air and the front left tire/everything just disappear. Looked like they were able to make it off of to the shoulder but drat did it make a BANG :stare: Drive safe, drive aware, and always leave yourself an out when traveling at freeway speeds internet friends!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

This is fuckin' cool as hell, I wish I still had my old telescope, it was a p fuckin nice celestron with a motorized base and poo poo. I think I used it maybe 3 times :(

I really need a new telescope :( My old one was a Celestron I found in the garbage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Almost ready to leave Portland...on 12 year old rubber. But the spare is from 2014 :psyduck:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Almost ready to leave Portland...on 12 year old rubber. But the spare is from 2014 :psyduck:

Brave and insane!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geirskogul posted:

Just be thankful that the tires are new enough to have date codes! Check the tires and add oil. Repeat. Get home. Enjoy!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Haha, thanks man. I'm still planning on grabbing a decent telescope setup sometime this fall / winter with any luck. Right now that's basically the one big investment I still need to make to start doing proper galaxy / star stuff. The 18 - 55mm kit lens works for wide shots, but I want to take photos of Andromeda and stuff :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Andromeda is pretty god damned huge. I'm not sure if an 18-55 would get it well, but a 75-300 should do you well.

Here's a good size-reference comparing it to the moon:

Obviously it's been photoshopped in, but that's about how large it is in the sky compared to Luna The only problem is light absorption, but huge ISO and long exposure will take care of that, as you no doubt know.

Other DSOs, you absolutely need a telescope for. Andromeda just happens to be a special snowflake that wants to come say hi at 200,000 mph.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Oh also this loving owns and beats the poo poo out of what I've ever done.

Also also, you almost got Andromeda in that shot. It should be slightly left of the upper left corner of your picture!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

^^^ Heh, thanks man. One thing I love about this area, super rural so light pollution isn't too bad.

Adiabatic posted:

Andromeda is pretty god damned huge. I'm not sure if an 18-55 would get it well, but a 75-300 should do you well.

Here's a good size-reference comparing it to the moon:

Obviously it's been photoshopped in, but that's about how large it is in the sky compared to Luna The only problem is light absorption, but huge ISO and long exposure will take care of that, as you no doubt know.

Other DSOs, you absolutely need a telescope for. Andromeda just happens to be a special snowflake that wants to come say hi at 200,000 mph.

I've got a 70 - 300 telephoto lens, so I could mayyybe swing it, but i'm worried about blur from the combo of high zoom and non-tracking mount that I currently have :v:

It's definitely a serious goal of mine though. Just gotta keep putting back money and try to find the ideal setup that's not too expensive but still high quality enough to have auto tracking and good lens quality.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 3, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Word. Most AP nerds can do some serious damage with just a badass mount and a 75-300. The mount is sooooooo much more important than the OTA. https://www.cloudynights.com has the best deals on used mounts. I got a Celestron CG-5 for $450 from there and it's served me incredibly well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gently caress you lot with having success from online dating. All I seem to cop is flakes or overseas women who want immigration

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

gently caress you and your $6 Guinness draft.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

You Am I posted:

gently caress you lot with having success from online dating. All I seem to cop is flakes or overseas women who want immigration

Could be worse, you could meet someone who borrows your pee rag and never returns it.

Which, by the way, is who I am meeting for drinks right now.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

goatse guy posted:

Could be worse, you could meet someone who borrows your pee rag and never returns it.

...you're going back out with that dude? Does knowing he wiped your dry pissrag on his face take the nervousness out of it?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Sigma X posted:

...you're going back out with that dude? Does knowing he swiped huffed your dry pissrag like ether to take the nervousness out of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBCZcPEzDM

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Sigma X posted:

...you're going back out with that dude? Does knowing he wiped your dry pissrag on his face take the nervousness out of it?

Unfortunately he's still the best guy I've dated in a long time by a long shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

Sweet Piss-Soaked Jesus.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
drat, you got me feeling sorry for you.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

You Am I posted:

Shoutouts to forever alone :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

My girlfriend is probably going to leave me because it's all her dying father wants in the world before the cancer kills him.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend is probably going to leave me because it's all her dying father wants in the world before the cancer kills him.

Maybe it's for the best. At least you're not taking pot shots at a significant portion of AI posters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Maybe it's for the best. At least you're not taking pot shots at a significant portion of AI posters.

I only target BSS goons with my venom.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I only target BSS goons with my venom.

And you're better than a piss-rag breather.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Permanently single club whatup :hfive:

I'm too weird, awkward, antisocial, and unattractive to land a date and I have come to accept this :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

And you're better than a piss-rag breather.

Well that thought just made me gag.

• Locked thread