Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
old-school DMC combat is extremely different from DmC, and i recommend going to either DMC1 or DMC3 if you're going to play the older ones cause DMC2 is a big ol pile of poo poo (not even in the same way people dislike DmC, it's really just a terrible action game in every sense) and DMC4's combat is pretty much DMC3 with a ton of tweaks. DMC1 is the most old-school and i feel it's kind of dragged down by its lives system but it's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it, DMC3 flows a lot better but has a lot more stuff to learn. DMC1 and 3 also have a lot of differences in presentation so if you don't like how one is presented you might like the other one more

also DMC3 has a really lovely PC port and capcom hasn't released a new one like they did with RE4, i'd only recommend the port of DMC3 on the basis that it has a mod that adds in a Style Switching mechanic from DMC4 and it integrates it pretty much flawlessly, plus it has a huge pile of fixes for the port's issues, which range from frequent crashes to unplayably slow performance, and also adds in excellent controller support.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Play DMC1 first before 3, cause once you go 3 you'll never go back.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Big Scary Owl posted:

Play DMC1 first before 3, cause once you go 3 you'll never go back.

how are they different from the reboot? i heard they don't have dodging but what else?
also i heard the remaster fixed a lot of issues people had with it - what were those issues, if you don't mind indulging me?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
What edutainment game is this? It looks to have a surprisingly large budget.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling! posted:

how are they different from the reboot? i heard they don't have dodging but what else?
also i heard the remaster fixed a lot of issues people had with it - what were those, if you don't mind indulging me?

Old-school DMC has more lock-on focused combat, they do have dodging but in DMC1 it's limited to dodging to the side while locked on, DMC3 adds the style system and one of the styles is Trickster, which is pretty much your dodge skill. However, you can only use one style at a time in vanilla DMC3, so you either get to use Trickster for dodging, Swordmaster for extra moves, Royal Guard for blocking and parrying, or Gunslinger for gun skills that are absolutely useless divorced from any other styles. A mod for the PC version lets you switch between styles at will, and DMC4 has style switching as a standard mechanic.

I don't know what DmC Definitive Edition fixed, but I do know people had issues with color-coded enemies, useless weapons and comparatively shallow combat. I do know, however, that the Definitive Edition removes Vergil's fedora.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sounds like a great babby entry point for the series then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
To my knowledge, it really isn't if you actually want an idea of whether you'll enjoy the series as a whole or not.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The DMC trilogy HD collection is like 12 dollars at Gamestop. poo poo is dirt cheap.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I wonder if Capcom will be releasing a HD version of DMC trilogy HD.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just found turbo mode and i like it even more.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The only game of the dmc genre I played extensively was god of war. Watching DmC: DMC footage made me feel like its combat is way more shallow than GoW, and GoW is considered a baby's first DMC already.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

program666 posted:

The only game of the dmc genre I played extensively was god of war. Watching DmC: DMC footage made me feel like its combat is way more shallow than GoW, and GoW is considered a baby's first DMC already.

GoW and DMC are only in same genre in the same way that Mario Kart and Gran Turismo are.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

program666 posted:

dmc combat is more interesting than gow's standard trash mob encounters and i've only seen 3 bad guy types so far in the 25 mins i've played.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
DMC3 is cool because in it Dante is super cool but he's also a total loving dork and can't stop fumbling up his radical cutscene stunts. He also only gets mildly irritated when a girl he tries to rescue shoots him in the face. Dante is way cooler than Kratos. Lady is also way cooler than Dante.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 2, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dante is pretty much the same in DmC as he is in the original DMC games, except exchange goofy smarm in DMC with rear end in a top hat smarm in the reboot. The game is still about incredibly serious things happening to an incredibly not serious person, DmC just has a different overall tone to it. DmC is a good game and the rest of the series also is save for the low points. It plays pretty differently and a bit more like a standard action game but there's only something inherently wrong with that if you are an elitist snob about a video game and if you are then just lol at you

I don't know why everybody always has to fight about which DMC game is the best when their own standing point is always "the one that is my personal favorite".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I honestly don't really like any of the stuff I've seen from DmC, but that doesn't really matter now because apparently the director of the older DMC games has said DmC actually did worse than the other ones so Capcom probably isn't going to continue the series in that same style if they continue it at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DMC3 and 4 were great, I never played DmC, I should correct that someday :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yeah I would play a game where you do nothing but kill people while soulful mariachi music is playing.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
So apparently that new Dead or Alive "Beach Volleyball" game I was posting about earlier is only going to come out in Japan :arghfist::reject:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I wonder. How many Volleyball video games are there, and how do they compare to Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a_tR-VYT-Q

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUW_oo93Z5Y

The Colonel posted:

I wonder. How many Volleyball video games are there, and how do they compare to Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball?
They pretty much died completely last gen outside of a couple downloadables I think.

Anyway as last last gen goes, Sega Spikers was better than DOA, Outlaw Beach Volleyball was actually worse.

The best will always be SUPER SPIKE V'BALL y'all

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I played one of those stupid Sniper Elite games that I don't remember buying at all, and boy, there's a lot of non-sniping gameplay in that game, and it's all loving garbage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sniping is basically the only good thing about Sniper Elite, which is why you should play only the survival mode and not the crap story mode

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

The sniping is basically the only good thing about Sniper Elite

That's exactly what I expected going in, which is why I was dismayed when the tutorial stage informed me I had an assault rifle and had to move around. I mean it's fun sniping, the bullet goes into the skull and everything, why the hell did they think they had to cram in stealth and traditional cover-based shooting and poo poo? I really thought it'd just be a game where you're in a clock tower and you snipe people.

CJacobs posted:

which is why you should play only the survival mode and not the crap story mode

I'll check that out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I met one of those fabled story gamers IRL.

He only seemed to like videogames as a concept and just talked for hours about the assorted fanfiction he read about the videogames and all the cosplay people he took pictures of.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

That's exactly what I expected going in, which is why I was dismayed when the tutorial stage informed me I had an assault rifle and had to move around. I mean it's fun sniping, the bullet goes into the skull and everything, why the hell did they think they had to cram in stealth and traditional cover-based shooting and poo poo? I really thought it'd just be a game where you're in a clock tower and you snipe people.

I'll check that out.

cabelas pro hunts

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

cabelas pro hunts

I bought a bunch of these when they were going for under a dollar. I gotta say they were rather decent videogames. Much better than the fishing genre, but then again nothing has yet to top Sega Marine Fishing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hope Galak-Z ends up being good I could use some faux anime shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EUq1jwl79Y

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Dolphin has become God tier, I'm transferring all my Wii games to ut. 1080p looks really good on Wii games.

Playing Shiren and it looks like a goddam 360 game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

theultimo posted:

Dolphin has become God tier, I'm transferring all my Wii games to ut. 1080p looks really good on Wii games.

Playing Shiren and it looks like a goddam 360 game.

play xenoblade with the hd texture pack :feelsgood:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remember to use the .dds textures though because playing without preloading them to ram causes stuttering issues and the .png ones take up roughly a gig and a half more space and need more than eight loving gigs of ram to be preloaded

there's a really, really, really incredible wind waker hd texture pack made by someone who is downright amazing at capturing the game's art style and it has even worse issues because the textures are all 4068x4068 and in .png format. the author of the texture pack said they have 24 gigs of ram and they need 19 of it to preload their own textures into the game, and if you don't preload them in the game stutters like poo poo every time the camera pans around

on the bright side, that person also has a texture pack for super mario 64 done in a similar super high-res, more paper crafty style that doesn't have any super high requirements and that style is, like, the only way to do hd textures for n64 games that actually look decent

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 3, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

remember to use the .dds textures though because playing without preloading them to ram causes stuttering issues and the .png ones take up roughly a gig and a half more space and need more than eight loving gigs of ram to be preloaded

there's a really, really, really incredible wind waker hd texture pack made by someone who is downright amazing at capturing the game's art style and it has even worse issues because the textures are all 4068x4068 and in .png format. the author of the texture pack said they have 24 gigs of ram and they need 19 of it to preload their own textures into the game, and if you don't preload them in the game stutters like poo poo every time the camera pans around

on the bright side, that person also has a texture pack for super mario 64 done in a similar super high-res, more paper crafty style that doesn't have any super high requirements and that style is, like, the only way to do hd textures for n64 games that actually look decent

Got any screenshots my man?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

Got any screenshots my man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzea5GeEdU0

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That pixel shader looks terrible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is kinda cool but the thick black lines are pretty lovely IMO

Is dolphin able to emulate wind wakers heat haze where things get blurrier with distance? That video certainly didn't have it. Looks rad as heck on a standard def TV but I tried playing the og gc version on my hdtv the other day and it looked like absolute poo poo.

E: looks like it can do skyward sword's watercolor filter just fine:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 3, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I know they patched out the issue in Dolphin that kept the heat haze effect in the Dragon Roost Caverns in Wind Waker from displaying, I dunno about the long-distance heat haze. They might have only patched it out after that video was uploaded.

Also the texture pack has optional shader replacements, much like the optional alt skins for Link and Tetra, and I don't remember the standard ones looking like that so I think the video author might be using one of the optional ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I am glad that I purchased Shovel Knight for ten dollars, it is a very fun game

• Locked thread