Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wow, something non-terrible came out of the senate:

quote:

Last Thursday, the Appropriations Committee voted 16-14 on an amendment to allow marijuana businesses access to federal banking services, a landmark shift that will help states like Colorado, where pot is legal, fully integrate marijuana into their economies. As significant as the vote was, it’s only the latest vote in a remarkable run of success marijuana advocates have had this year on Capitol Hill.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/dea-marijuana-120674.html#ixzz3hb2LOeMl

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I still don't get the whole drone thing to me it's just fancy remote control airplanes with a camera, really don't see the different between them and a RC car.

edit:

Now that Marijuana Dispensaries are making real money, they can donate to real PACs, specifically SuperPacs so I see Marijuana being de scheduled across the US in 10 years or less.

We live in a Acceleration Culture, because of our information technonologies it's easier to connect with supporters and coordinate better organizations and such.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The answer, of course, will be autonomous anti-drone drones patrolling your airspace. Firing air-to-air tangle nets, presumably.

Nonsense posted:

Someone attached an actual pistol, fired off a few rounds on video, and got in trouble, but nothing further is known (if he was even booked). At least he wasn't doing it in his backyard.

I thought electronic/electro-mechanical firing mechanisms for guns were super-duper illegal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Klaus88 posted:

There's gonna be a massive outbreak of :qq: when that happens after the inevitable legislative response.

"B-b-but you see via correct understanding of NAP I'm not responsible for any acts carried out by the murderdrone contact I found online to punish that one dude who stiffed me on my kratom order! And really, given that he was actually an undercover FBI agent anyway, it's more like the state was aggressing against me in the first place and furthermore the fringe on that flag prov-"
*is violently tasered*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hobnob posted:

The answer, of course, will be autonomous anti-drone drones patrolling your airspace. Firing air-to-air tangle nets, presumably.

I thought electronic/electro-mechanical firing mechanisms for guns were super-duper illegal.

I think that it has more to do with the application of the mechanical trigger, like you couldn't make Aliens Auto Turrets and set them out on your front lawn, but you could just build it and never use it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Iowa Rep. Steve King, introducing Huckabee, said gay marriage ruling now means "you can marry my lawnmower."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/07/30/steve_king_marrying_a_lawnmower_iowa_congressman_imagines_strange_desires.html

Unlike "joke" candidate, Donald Trump, King is actually an actual sitting member of congress. But yes, let's keep talking about how the Donald is somehow corrupting this otherwise completely sane and rational Republican party.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobnob posted:

At the moment, no. Otherwise PPC rifles would be illegal as poo poo. The illegal part is using an electric/electronic trigger to simulate full auto. Anything that electronically pulls a mechanical trigger and isn't being used to artificially make it shoot like a machine gun (like that drone) would likely be okay. I wouldn't want that drone to shoot quickly anyway; it was using a Kel-Tec PMR-30, which fires .22 Magnum, and still flew back when it went off. A 9mm or .45 has several times the recoil impulse and the drone would be jumping back a yard or two each time it fired.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I still don't get the whole drone thing to me it's just fancy remote control airplanes with a camera, really don't see the different between them and a RC car.

Regular flying plane-style drones don't get a lot of attention. What do get attention are things like helicopter drones, as they're able to easily carry various loads (from cameras to weapons to dropped items) and are very easy to control, letting them loiter overhead or fit into small spaces easily.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It won't be the future until an armed drone delivers my legal weed

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bitcoin-Powered Drone Delivers Cannabis to Your Doorstep

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

berzerker posted:

One of the great problems of our legal system is the insistence on stretching analogies way too far, even when patently ridiculous and without regard for bad policy outcomes. It's how we get nonsense like our wiretapping laws.

Drones surveilling your neighbors anonymously is bad, and we ought to create a practical recourse, either through public policy or allowing people to act on their own (rf jammers, lasers, bird shot since it won't likely hurt anyone falling down, whatever).

Hills and cranes and hot air balloons are related questions but it's dumb to reduce all situations to existing precedents even when it's suboptimal. That's a fine line of argument for what the law is, not what it should be.

No joke, it's crazy how many retarded analogies popped up in such a short amount of time-- an extremely hard to track drone is nothing like a pole being erected on a property line or a Cessna or a helicopter or whatever. Obviously shooting it down brings up a lot of issues but it's not like there's a lot of solutions here right now for this sort of thing. Police aren't going to do anything unless you know who it is (and even then you better hope you live somewhere with a good PD), and identifying ownership can be essentially impossible if the people aren't stupid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait till the police department starts getting hand me down drones that just circle over cities for hours with video surveillance.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nonsense posted:

Someone attached an actual pistol, fired off a few rounds on video, and got in trouble, but nothing further is known (if he was even booked). At least he wasn't doing it in his backyard.

I believe that was a stock quadcopter which is sorta kinda different from a "drone"

Wonder how Chuck Grassley feels atm

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is the most 2015 thing I've ever heard of.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Obdicut posted:

Looking inside your house is different, that's invasion of privacy and covered by laws already.

Nobody is arguing that it's just fine to anonymously surveil your neighbors, but there are a lot of ways to do it that are completely legal. And no, knocking stuff out of the sky and letting it fall uncontrolled to the ground is never going to be a viable solution.

So, what's the law surrounding upskirt cameras? It seems analogous.

Edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/09/25/drones-and-laws-of-general-applicability/

Hollismason posted:

Wait till the police department starts getting hand me down drones that just circle over cities for hours with video surveillance.

... what do you mean wait?
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/nypd-drones-fight-crime-article-1.1799980
http://www.wired.com/2015/06/fbi-not-alone-in-operating-secret-spycraft/

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 1, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

San Francisco as gently caress.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Some idiot nearly crashed their drone into a jet at JFK yesterday so I hope someone figures out something to do with them.

This poo poo happens around 25 times/month at all sorts of major airports and military airbases.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I posted this in the :catdrugs: thread but wasn't sure - because the committee passed it, does that mean it's law, or does that mean now it can be debated in both houses, and maybe get a vote one day?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In many areas, you could probably erect a tall mesh roof over your yard if you really wanted, and maybe even mount things inside it to make it hard to see through, while still having air flow.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it was the most basic thing as well. So yeah, once someone actually comes out with a design where you 3D print part of the drone, then you "self install" the other parts you'll most certainly see it occur.

Also, I give it 2 years tops before someone uses a drone for murdering someone, like a civilian drone used to murder someone.

I'm not getting why you're bringing 3d printing into this. You can already build a gun with stuff from the home depot for way cheaper than a 3d printer will be in the next 10 years, and a basic drone is also cheaper. You can also use other hardware store parts to secure everything to the drone, and all of that will be faster than 3d printing. 3d printing adds nothing except extra expense, less convenience, and probably shittier quality.

It's not like there's sky-bound metal detectors that would be fooled by 3d printed plastic.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 1, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

I posted this in the :catdrugs: thread but wasn't sure - because the committee passed it, does that mean it's law, or does that mean now it can be debated in both houses, and maybe get a vote one day?

The latter, sadly. But the fact that it got out of a Republican controlled committee to begin with is a surprising (and good) sign.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

In many areas, you could probably erect a tall mesh roof over your yard if you really wanted, and maybe even mount things inside it to make it hard to see through, while still having air flow.

I'm not getting why you're bringing 3d printing into this. You can already build a gun with stuff from the home depot for way cheaper than a 3d printer will be in the next 10 years, and a basic drone is also cheaper. You can also use other hardware store parts to secure everything to the drone, and all of that will be faster than 3d printing. 3d printing adds nothing except extra expense, less convenience, and probably shittier quality.

It's not like there's sky-bound metal detectors that would be fooled by 3d printed plastic.

3D printing whether economical or not is a favorite of gun nuts now, because they all think that it's their back up plan when the government comes to take their guns.

Also, designing a real drone that isn't just a handgun taped to a rc copter would be something someone would come up with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Follow up: Jericho the lion has not been killed. False alarm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solkanar512 posted:

This poo poo happens around 25 times/month at all sorts of major airports and military airbases.

All the more reason to start throwing people in prison when they do it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Okay, let's simplify. I have a camera on a crane boom, and I move it over to look inside your house. I have nightvision and thermal vision, so curtains will not help.
What redresses do you have? It's not touching your property.
Since I am an rear end in a top hat, I am refusing to move it when asked politely.
In fact, I'm out of state and managing it remotely, and the land it is on is owned by a shell corporation so you don't know who to go to to ask politely.

FYI in many states it is illegal to record video or pictures of someone else's backyard if they have fences that block sight. There actually is a reasonable expectation of privacy in one own backyard.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mandatory lesbian posted:

I am hella uncomfortable that that's considered a "may" and not a "is"

Get over it. I've had these fuckers buzzing around 100 feet above my backyard for the past 2 decades.

Did you really never consider the existence of Ultralight and General Aviation before?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Right wingers on my facebook are going nuts over PP due to the video that came out and it's the most amazing chimera of "BABY MURDER FOR PROFIT" and "THE 3% ABORTION FIGURE IS A LIE" insanity. I know these people are a lost cause because they're far right tea party baby boomers but God drat. The freeper-grade tea party teacher (who hates unions) unironically played the "liberal bias" card when he posts nothing but far right poo poo constantly. I touched the poop. :(

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paul MaudDib posted:

Get over it. I've had these fuckers buzzing around 100 feet above my backyard for the past 2 decades.

Did you really never consider the existence of Light and General Aviation before?

100 feet and yet you don't own a water balloon launcher. Shameful.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Mr Interweb posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/07/30/steve_king_marrying_a_lawnmower_iowa_congressman_imagines_strange_desires.html

Unlike "joke" candidate, Donald Trump, King is actually an actual sitting member of congress. But yes, let's keep talking about how the Donald is somehow corrupting this otherwise completely sane and rational Republican party.

"Incident with lawnmower leaves congressman castrated, denies allegations about infidelity with his vacuum cleaner."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

A glimpse at our future. "This is the way it's been and I've had to put up with it; why are you complaining about it?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paul MaudDib posted:

Did you really never consider the existence of Ultralight and General Aviation before?

You should really consider standing your ground. Dude's clearly coming right for you.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Brannock posted:

A glimpse at our future. "This is the way it's been and I've had to put up with it; why are you complaining about it?"

How about "We'll make new laws for this the way that we make new laws for all technology, slowly and creakily, until then just try not to shoot things"?

Do you really think that the guy who shot it down is going to prison for 20 years?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This conversation solidifies my belief that the opposition to drone bombing was about the "drone" part and the not the "bombing" part.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Obdicut posted:

How about "We'll make new laws for this the way that we make new laws for all technology, slowly and creakily, until then just try not to shoot things"?

Do you really think that the guy who shot it down is going to prison for 20 years?

He's not getting poo poo as long as he can plausibly lay out an argument that the drone was watching his 16 year old daughter sunbathe. The jury won't convict.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hollismason posted:

edit:

Now that Marijuana Dispensaries are making real money, they can donate to real PACs, specifically SuperPacs so I see Marijuana being de scheduled across the US in 10 years or less.

We live in a Acceleration Culture, because of our information technonologies it's easier to connect with supporters and coordinate better organizations and such.
I, for one, welcome our Big Weed overlords.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Weed is not going to be legal where I live for at least 50 more years, so lol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Re-Scheduling Marijuana and still keeping in place efforts to shut down black market weed dealers and imports will be in 10 years. States may go along with it but it's smarter and saves more money to just re schedule it similar to alchohol and cigarrettes then go after black market production.

Give it 5 years and Colorado and Oregan making $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for lawmakers to go " Hrmmmm, it brings in massive profits and they donate to us? Hell yeah!"

Republican's will just reframe it as a "states rights issue".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

JT Jag posted:

I, for one, welcome our Big Weed overlords.

It's been a conspiracy theory for a long time that tobacco companies are well prepared to offer weed if it was legalized.

I believe it, but it's probably just a spitball memo made on a slow day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Equine Don posted:

Weed is not going to be legal where I live for at least 50 more years, so lol.

Move to a non-garbage state. Civilization is just over the hills.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

foobardog posted:

It's been a conspiracy theory for a long time that tobacco companies are well prepared to offer weed if it was legalized.

I believe it, but it's probably just a spitball memo made on a slow day.

Is that so much a conspiracy theory? I mean it's basically 'Okay, we sell running shoes and basketball shoes, there's this new sport skateboarding, let's sell skateboarding shoes.'

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I think it's more of an accusation of laziness and not conspiracy that big tobacco isn't backing the whole weed thing.

They're testing it behind closed doors, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Gyges posted:

He's not getting poo poo as long as he can plausibly lay out an argument that the drone was watching his 16 year old daughter sunbathe. The jury won't convict.

He'll most likely be offered something wrist-slappy and take it, because nobody who actually has experience with trials confidently predicts what a jury is going to do. (Except in general not convict cops). Unless he's a real take-a-stand type.

Judges are very good at telling juries that they may not agree with the law but they're not there to decide if they agree with it, but if the guy broke it, and they yell at defense attorneys who present a defense which is "The guy broke the law but still find him not guilty".

Warcabbit posted:

Is that so much a conspiracy theory? I mean it's basically 'Okay, we sell running shoes and basketball shoes, there's this new sport skateboarding, let's sell skateboarding shoes.'

It's actually an interesting set of problems because there's already brand loyalty in play. Can corporations trademark stuff like 'purple haze' and 'blueberry'? Are genetic patents for the strains allowable?

There's going to be weed lawyers now. Well, of a different kind than there was before.

• Locked thread