Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I do believe that under the plant patent rules, none of the strains that are currently widely available can be patented due to the impossibility of proving creation,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

computer parts posted:

This conversation solidifies my belief that the opposition to drone bombing was about the "drone" part and the not the "bombing" part.

I did notice people didn't care too much when they were still called UAVs.

Obdicut posted:

It's actually an interesting set of problems because there's already brand loyalty in play. Can corporations trademark stuff like 'purple haze' and 'blueberry'? Are genetic patents for the strains allowable?

It's somewhat difficult to trademark something by the name it's already known as, unless you came up with that name. And of course trademarks can't be descriptive.

duz fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 2, 2015

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
When weed is legal will all incarcerated weed dealers have their sentences commuted

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bwee posted:

When weed is legal will all incarcerated weed dealers have their sentences commuted

At most, only if they aren't in jail for anything else.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

They would have to stagger the releases over several years in order to not create just a huge homeless population and automatic crime rate increase if there are not in place retraining etc.. otherwise you just released a huge number in the 100,000 into the population who don't have work, possibly no place to live, and with a recidivism of 80 percent I think in the US you would most certainly see a uptick in crime.

Basically releasing 100s of thousands of people into the public with no structure in place for support would just result in a uptick in crime and homelessness.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Brannock posted:

A glimpse at our future. "This is the way it's been and I've had to put up with it; why are you complaining about it?"

Stop thinking so terrestrially. The air above your property is not yours except insofar as you can effectively utilize it.

US v Causby, 1947 posted:

It is ancient doctrine that at common law ownership of the land extended to the periphery of the universe -- cujus est solum ejus est usque and coelum. But that doctrine has no place in the modern world. The air is a public highway, as Congress has declared. Were that not true, every transcontinental flight would subject the operator to countless trespass suits. Common sense revolts at the idea. To recognize such private claims to the airspace would clog these highways, seriously interfere with their control and development in the public interest, and transfer into private ownership that to which only the public has a just claim.

250 feet is well into the proposed air-travel corridors for drone traffic. You absolutely don't have the right to shoot down a delivery drone just because it's crossing your property any more than you have the right to shoot down an airliner in its own corridor. Drones will happen and should happen, and you are being a luddite. And in fact would have been one 60 years ago.

If you don't want to be visible from the air put up an awning. Or pass peeping-tom laws. Making aerial photography illegal to try and establish a "right to privacy" in a publically-visible space is just luddism, plain and simple.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 2, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hollismason posted:

They would have to stagger the releases over several years in order to not create just a huge homeless population and automatic crime rate increase if there are not in place retraining etc.. otherwise you just released a huge number in the 100,000 into the population who don't have work, possibly no place to live, and with a recidivism of 80 percent I think in the US you would most certainly see a uptick in crime.

Basically releasing 100s of thousands of people into the public with no structure in place for support would just result in a uptick in crime and homelessness.

How labor-intensive is large-scale weed cultivation? Because I think I have a work-placement idea. :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How labor-intensive is large-scale weed cultivation? Because I think I have a work-placement idea. :v:

"putting them to work on my farm picking buds" doesn't sound so good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, it's nice to say let's decriminalize weed but really if you did that you could create more problems.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, it's nice to say let's decriminalize weed but really if you did that you could create more problems.

Aside from the moral problem with keeping people incarcerated for what is no longer considered a crime, I can't imagine extended unemployment would be more expensive than what's involved in running prisons over-crowded with non-violent offenders.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hollismason posted:

To be precise, you would have to deal with short-term problems that have been created by the prolonged criminalization.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hollismason posted:

Give tax breaks to dispensaries that employee the released weed criminals.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Zeroisanumber posted:

Move to a non-garbage state. Civilization is just over the hills.

They're all garbage to me

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
If you expunge their record I'd imagine they'd be more employable, so that'd be swell. What happened post alcohol prohibition (I asked, with Google at my disposal)?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

District Selectman posted:

If you expunge their record I'd imagine they'd be more employable, so that'd be swell. What happened post alcohol prohibition (I asked, with Google at my disposal)?

No mass or automatic pardons but a number performed individually, is my understanding.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

District Selectman posted:

It was pretty difficult to actually go to long term prison for just drinking alcohol, and most of the dudes in prison during prohibition had broken multiple other laws.

Plus you have to understand, many states had banned alcohol on their own beforehand or didn't lift their bans until some times decades later. And since you were usually convicted under state law, well, national deprohibiton was no get out of jail thing, and if you were in federal prison you probably had done a bunch of other poo poo to get the feds on you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think I was operating on the false assumption that there was in fact over 100 thousand, apparently the number is closer to 50,000 for simple possession so really not that much to be absorbed. I just did some quick fact checking on it. It's still a large number but that would mean that a simple staggered release wouldn't ultimately have that much negative impact.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So this is local news as all gently caress, but I feel the thread will get a kick out of it, and it is tangentally USPOL in as much as poo poo like the confederate flag or Washington football team are.

A small highschool in Goshen, Indiana (up in the northenr part of the state, neat Michigan) has a football team the "Goshen Redskins". There has been pressure lately to change the name due to its offensiveness. Here is an article on it..

quote:

Why so many people defend the Goshen Redskins mascot

GOSHEN – She wanted to defend her school mascot, the Goshen Redskins, so beloved by many yet targeted for change.

In front of hundreds of people at a public meeting, the young woman spoke passionately into a microphone: “You took away the one thing that we had,” she said. “It’s the Goshen Redskins for a reason.”

With fierce pride, she whooped and patted her mouth, a stereotypical Native American call.

As the Goshen School Board neared a decision last week on the controversial mascot, defenders of the nickname turned out in force, emotional and adamant against the contemporary grain. Many also spoke up asking for a change.

Board members voted 5-2 to retire the culturally insensitive name and mascot on Jan. 1.

The issue has divided and roiled the city, shaking a small, tight-knit community built on generations of those who identified as Redskins.

“Way to ruin the city!” someone shouted on the way out of the meeting.

With national attention from the NFL controversy over the Washington Redskins, there is plenty of talk about why the name is disparaging, invoking the bloody scalps of slaughtered Native Americans forced out as their lands were taken away.

But why, when some stood up to say here’s why this name hurts me, did others in the audience grumble expletives under their breath?

Why did some mascot defenders insist there was only pride, and no derogatory intent, so the name should stand?

“I just think we lose objectivity when it’s something we care about,” said Ed Hirt, an Indiana University psychology professor.

Team allegiances, he said, can be core to identity — no different from ethnicity or religion. To change it is a violation, severing a link to the past.

Imagine, he said, how Baltimore felt when the Colts moved to Indianapolis.

Imagine if IU were to get rid of candy-striped pants.

And that loyalty can be blinding, Hirt said. Just look at the legions of New England Patriots’ fans defending quarterback Tom Brady in DeflateGate.

In hours of debate over the Goshen mascot, defenders argued that not all Native Americans considered the name to be derogatory. They insisted that an unhappy minority should not be able to overrule a majority.

“It’s a spit in my face,” said one person, who countered those who found the name offensive by saying it was offensive to him that a change was being considered. “I’m probably going to cry.”

Native Americans who felt discriminated against, one person argued, should “suck it up and deal with it.”

The School Board ought to worry instead about raising graduation rates, some said, or spending the estimated $7,000 to $16,000 cost of changing the mascot in wiser ways.

“We want to keep it, so now we have to convince ourselves that it’s the right thing to do,” Hirt said.

But some in Goshen felt persuaded beyond their hometown loyalty. School Board President Catherine Cripe, who ultimately voted for the change, talked of how it resonated with her when Native Americans said, “We’re not real human beings to you.”

School Board member Jane Troup remembered visiting a Native American group and hearing a leader explain why the nickname was offensive to him.

Feeling ornery, she refused to use the euphemism “the R-word” and continued to say “Redskins” to him.

“Today, I feel guilty for having done that,” she said, “because I was not being respectful to him.”

Still, in the end, Troup was one of two who cast votes against retiring the name.

I have been going out canvassing two to three times a week (weather permitting) since March. It's the usual bit "Hello, my name is Fried Chicken, I'm out today for [candidate] for [position], have you heard of him/her? [candidate] is [candidate bio and talking points], do you plan on voting in the election this November? Would you vote for [candidate]? [spiel about how to get more information if unsure]. Finally, do you have any concerns that you would like to see [candidate] address? Thank you for your time, we hope to see you out in November, have a lovely day" And the "other concerns" is absolutely enlightening. If you want to understand why this country is the way it is, go out canvassing and just talk to people like that. Because overwhelmingly, the responses I will get are a predictable 3 part beat.
1) they want [road they have to regularly drive down] paved
2) they are concerned about police indifference/absence
3) pure loving spite on race or an imagined racial/ideological block

It's like god damned clockwork. Occasionally I'll get something else instead of #3, like a comment about zoning, or some other public service failing (eg trash pickup). But its a rare thing not to get some comment about some culture wars bloc that's usually framed in racial terms.

There's nothing particularly surprising about this article at all, except that the paper published it. Note that the writer doesn't identify the openly racist assholes except the last one, and that's only because she was one of the ones to vote.

Or basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJbSvidohg

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:stonklol:

I don't understand how its political correctness run to not use an offense name for a public title.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Indiana is the Mississippi of the Mid-West so that makes sense.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What would it take, besides a loving miracle and a working government not looking to gently caress the poor to appease the rich, to make it unlawful to ask someone if they have a criminal conviction on a job application? Unless someone is applying to work somewhere that has an actual reason for knowing, like a bank or an elementary school or something, I really find it despicable that the question is allowed to be asked. Following the laughably piss-poor internal logic of the current public on the issue, once someone has "served their time" why should they be hosed if they apply to basically every job ever? They "served their time", by the public logic, and now they're out of jail but they can't get a job anywhere. Well what the gently caress do they think is going to happen as long as every McDonalds in the nation has them ticking the "are you a person we will never hire?" box?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SumYungGui posted:

What would it take, besides a loving miracle and a working government not looking to gently caress the poor to appease the rich, to make it unlawful to ask someone if they have a criminal conviction on a job application?

Presumably a law prohibiting it.

It's not like it really matters that much though since convicts aren't the ones that are vying for high paying jobs. If anything letting them in will just depress wages more (at least until you're literally at the minimum wage).

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

They "served their time", by the public logic
Hate to break it to you, but the public logic is that all criminals should be murdered.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Goddamnit guys the thread isn't even a day old and you already got my thread title changed!

I think you will find that this is in the OP already under the "War on Drugs" section. :ssh:

Please remember to read the OP each month! I put good work into it and it's not a complete recap!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SumYungGui posted:

What would it take, besides a loving miracle and a working government not looking to gently caress the poor to appease the rich, to make it unlawful to ask someone if they have a criminal conviction on a job application? Unless someone is applying to work somewhere that has an actual reason for knowing, like a bank or an elementary school or something, I really find it despicable that the question is allowed to be asked. Following the laughably piss-poor internal logic of the current public on the issue, once someone has "served their time" why should they be hosed if they apply to basically every job ever? They "served their time", by the public logic, and now they're out of jail but they can't get a job anywhere. Well what the gently caress do they think is going to happen as long as every McDonalds in the nation has them ticking the "are you a person we will never hire?" box?

This is an interesting example of class at work, and part of why recidivism is still a problem.

There are tons of high powered folks with multiple DWI/DUIs, guys who did brief time in minimum security facilities for insider trading, folks with possession of cocaine convictions, and it doesn't affect their job hirability a whit. They tend to be lawyers, brokers, bankers, etc.

But if a guy wants to make hamburgers or ring a cash register or do basically anything but mow lawns or work day construction, well, we're going to need a full background check and to speak with your probation officer, and if you tell anyone about it, you're going to be out on your rear end quick because most of the customers will be terrified of you and you might make some of your co-workers uncomfortable.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Presumably a law prohibiting it.

It's not like it really matters that much though since convicts aren't the ones that are vying for high paying jobs. If anything letting them in will just depress wages more (at least until you're literally at the minimum wage).

It would probably require criminal history to be a protected status like veteran, gender, sexual orientation (current by executive decision, hopefully in future through actual law), although they would have to build in a lot of exceptions; it should probably matter that someone had been convicted and imprisoned for vehicular manslaughter under the influence if they're applying for a CDL, for example.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If by some miracle marijuana becomes federally legalized you can look forward to the inevitable court case where termination for use off the job is still considered legal.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Equine Don posted:

If by some miracle marijuana becomes federally legalized you can look forward to the inevitable court case where termination for use off the job is still considered legal.

Can't people be fired if they're given a DUI?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Equine Don posted:

This is pretty well accepted, and the comparison is the substance use rules that professional athletes have to follow. When Washington and Colorado legalized weed, the NFL in particular made clear it was still on their prohibited list, so it was still something they could use to fire you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like any other crop, it's very labor intensive to grow, harvest, and process.

I worked for one of the bigger Marijuana companies in Denver as a marijuana trimmer and lasted only for a whole week. I was expected to be able to trim ten plants per work day by the end of my first week. The plants were the full length of five feet and had to be hung from a chain attached to the ceiling so that I could inspect them and separate the scruff from the part of the plant I would trim from. I was able to reach five per day, but it was something that I had no experience in doing before in my life and was let go. I don't even smoke and just did it because I had been unemployed for almost four months and thought that I'd give it a shot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Can't people be fired if they're given a DUI?

Can you get fired for drinking responsibly at home?

Actually...I think the answer is yes. An employer could put a "no alcohol consumption ever" clause in an employment contract and have it be enforceable. That's my guess based on the general power of employers versus employees.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

foobardog posted:

This is pretty well accepted, and the comparison is the substance use rules that professional athletes have to follow. When Washington and Colorado legalized weed, the NFL in particular made clear it was still on their prohibited list, so it was still something they could use to fire you.

Illinois is in the process of setting up medical marijuana. I was told, that as a teacher and under explicit state law, I can be fired for using medical marijuana. It was at a conference where we were talking about students receiving it as a prescription (because people freak out about that) and the retired state police officer stated that businesses can determine their drug policy and even if it was allowed for medical reasons legally, then a business could still fire you for using. I asked him that if that was the case, could a business owner who did not approve of any medicine (birth control, tylenol, etc) fire me for using those. The officer mumbled around and went to someone else's question.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At will employment means that if the boss doesn't like anything you can be fired.

In many states you can still be fired for political speech, who you have sex with (or if you didn't use protection) or if you eat too much.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Toyota is lame, and does hair follicle tests. Liquidate the owners and nationalize all businesses who screen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Goddamnit guys the thread isn't even a day old and you already got my thread title changed!

I think you will find that this is in the OP already under the "War on Drugs" section. :ssh:

Please remember to read the OP each month! I put good work into it and it's not a complete recap!

The name change was pretty good, tbqh.

I do appreciate the work that goes into the OP, that being said.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Nonsense posted:

I can't wait for drones to somehow be covered by the second amendment. Ya'll are weird.

Uh, I can wait on that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The pages of nonsensical drone-fear have been entertaining. Ultimately, I hope the impending regulations (if additional regulations are needed, and bad drone behaviour isn't already covered under existing privacy/sound/harassment behaviour which most of it probably is) follow logical and reasonable pfffftt it's gonna be a clusterfuck as scared old ladies (even those in the body's of young men) shriek about how someone has to do something to make drones go away forever argue against technology libertarians yelling about how the law should never ever apply to them.

I mostly feel bad for the responsible hobbyists who have been doing this poo poo for decades and are going to get hosed now no matter what happens or how responsible they are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Illinois is in the process of setting up medical marijuana. I was told, that as a teacher and under explicit state law, I can be fired for using medical marijuana. It was at a conference where we were talking about students receiving it as a prescription (because people freak out about that) and the retired state police officer stated that businesses can determine their drug policy and even if it was allowed for medical reasons legally, then a business could still fire you for using. I asked him that if that was the case, could a business owner who did not approve of any medicine (birth control, tylenol, etc) fire me for using those. The officer mumbled around and went to someone else's question.

That is a legitimate grey area now because it's illegal federally. I expect if & when marijuana is legalized federally they won't be able to fire you for medically using it but you're fair game for recreational use.

Also there will probably be a tightening of standards for medical use, less like California and more like East coast states.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

NEW YORK -- Several news organizations gained rare access Saturday into a private gathering of influential Republican donors hosted by Freedom Partners Chamber of Commerce, a nonprofit organization backed by conservative billionaires Charles and David Koch.

But journalists covering the three-day event, held at a luxurious California resort, had to agree to an unusual restriction. They weren’t allowed to report the names of any of the 450 donors attending without the individual’s permission.

The Washington Post’s Matea Gold disclosed in a Saturday night piece that her paper was “one of nine news organizations allowed in to cover the traditionally private confab, on the condition that the donors present not be named without their permission.” Politico’s Ken Vogel also noted the ground rules in his story published around the same time.

The Koch brothers, and affiliated groups, are expected to spend $889 million on the 2016 race. So the weekend gathering is a key stop for big-time Republican donors and presidential aspirants.

Journalists agreeing to the rules are provided a rare glimpse into typically closed-door proceedings and may get the opportunity to speak with donors, even some willing to allow their names in print.

The problem is that the ground rules could restrict journalists from reporting what's right in front of their eyes. If, say, Rupert Murdoch, or even a lesser-known billionaire, walked by, they couldn't report the person's attendance without permission. So it’s possible journalists end up reporting largely what the event sponsors want, such as fiery speeches and candidate remarks criticizing Democrats, but less on the power brokers attending who play key behind-the-scenes roles in the 2016 election.

Given the big-money donations at play, several Republican presidential hopefuls took a break from the campaign trail to attend.

On Saturday, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina took part in an onstage question-and-answer session. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz will do the same Sunday.

Politico’s Mike Allen is moderating the candidate sessions, which are on the record.

When asked about his role in the gathering, Allen pointed out to The Huffington Post that the candidate session are live-streamed and said that he maintained full editorial control over the questions.

Allen said the arrangement was similar to when ABC News’ Jon Karl moderated forums at a Koch brothers event earlier this year. Some journalism experts criticized Karl’s participation, suggesting that reporters shouldn’t be moderating partisan gatherings that aren't widely open to the press.

Organizers approached CNN's Jake Tapper about moderating candidate sessions this weekend, but he declined, according to a source familiar with the event. A CNN spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Freedom Partners did not respond to a request for comment on its journalist ground rules.

Our political media, ladies and gentlemen :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

The pages of nonsensical drone-fear have been entertaining.

I'm not sure how impeding emergency response vehicles or repeatedly flying around aircraft taking off or landing is entertaining to you.

• Locked thread