Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Welcome once again to the USPOL thread! As we continue our trek into the second half of the year, we’re finally starting to see some fun creep into our political lives with Trump, Republican debates, budget battles and more!

So cheers, and enjoy everything the thread has to offer, including an extra dose of presidential chat thanks to RSF!

114th Congress Bingo Card

The 114th Congress is off this month (by law!) so there won’t be all that much coming out of Washington for a while (and next month’s OP will be pretty barebones to boot) but there’s still plenty to report on from this month before we take a break!

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Did you know that Hillary may be losing in key battleground states already? As we know, this is obviously indicative of how the general election will go, so I hope it is obvious why you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
There was a South thread, too, but it's been dead since last July.

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

By the by, I don't have a clue what's the deal with my avatar. Some guy got pissy about gay marriage or something when the ruling came out and failed to make a good red text avatar apparently. :iiam:

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Obdicut posted:

The person who owns the drone can be potentially identified, too.

Good luck with that. (One of the fires for which a bounty was issued was over a month ago. And they still don't know who it was.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Barudak posted:

They are kind of poo poo at holding a sign while dressed as a statue of liberty and spinning it right now, so B seems a ways off.

‟DroneCast was started with a simple idea in mind: billboards, bus stations, and radio advertisements have become boring," DroneCast's Damien Kahmer explained. "People have become blind to this form of advertising, as it’s non-engaging and uninteresting. The question was, how can we fix this?”

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Klaus88 posted:

:dogbutton:

Do they even bother with ethics in whatever the hell courses are required for a degree in marketing?

“Truthfully, I’ll see what happens, but I’m not worried because we as a country are progressing at such a great rate with technology and innovation and why should the government…be the ones to stop us from doing this,” [GauravJit Singh, CEO of DroneCast] said.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Goddamnit guys the thread isn't even a day old and you already got my thread title changed!

I think you will find that this is in the OP already under the "War on Drugs" section. :ssh:

Please remember to read the OP each month! I put good work into it and it's not a complete recap!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Soonmot posted:

The name change was pretty good, tbqh.

I do appreciate the work that goes into the OP, that being said.

Yeah but now for the remaining 30 days of the month we have a title that has absolutely no bearing on anything, seeing as the drone conversation is basically over. :shrug:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

When was the last time the thread title lasted 30 days? It changes all the time.

Literally last month, and every month before that except for June. :ssh:

Joementum posted:

Dude, just PM a mod.

Nah, not that critical. Just felt like griping/taking-a-pot-shot at standard USPOL thread behavior. I'm done now. :mmmsmug:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In other news, Obama's plans on emissions cuts have leaked, and they are going to be more aggressive (especially green energy requirements) than opponents expected. So expect even more lawsuits to stop their implementation.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Maarek posted:

Jugistmöstlugzurius

He said "essential," not "comedic"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Time, once again, to burst Diamond Joe's bubble. (As if his support for the war on drugs wasn't enough.)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BonoMan posted:

Goddamnit MIssissippi. Primary elections last night... the strongest Democratic candidate for the gubernatorial race was someone running on the campaign of expanding Medicaid and actually funding our education (which he have, illegally, not been doing for over a decade).

Of course she lost... to some random guy who never really campaigned at all, raised zero funds, didn't even vote in the primary himself and has no clue how he won.

Sounds familiar. Only one man can help her now...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MariusLecter posted:

If only he/she had a gun.

Now isn't the time to talk about gun control. People are grieving.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Time to hang it up, Rand.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

wow, Obama really changed the 5th Circuit

OTOH, 5th circuit is where his immigration policy has been getting repeatedly walloped.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Also a good question! The electors typically finish their business by mid-December, so he'd still be 34.

It's before the ballots are opened though.

It's probably a moot point though, assuming that Congressional age restrictions are any guide. Precedent in the House suggests that you can take the seat so long as you are the appropriate age when a session is convened. A number of 19th-century representatives were 24 when elected, and were 24 at the official start of Congress in March, but were 25 and appropriately seated, when Congress actually convened in October; another representative, John Young Brown of Kentucky's 5th, was forced to wait to be seated until the second session of the 36th Congress when he was over 25.

But even the fact that Lebron would be over 35 when inaugurated might not matter. In the Senate, precedent suggests that the minimum is just a suggestion (or perhaps applies so long as you meet the age at some point during the first session?). Henry Clay was first elected and served in that body while still aged 29.

Of course the real answer would be IOKIYAR.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gardenald posted:

lol he couldn't think of anything for z

Want that shirt

Not even "ZZZ Obama asleep at the wheel"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fool_of_sound posted:

Eh, basically all the candidates got a few zingers. Trump caught the worst of it by far though.

And yet...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Granted online polls mean Democrats are crushing it, but apparently, what doesn't kill Trump only makes him stronger:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently Obama aides are leaking to the press that they would be okay with Chuck Schumer being ousted from his leadership position.

And why on earth would that ever happen? Guy's put in his time so unless you've got him with a live boy/dead girl, you're stuck with him.

Unless they really just want Durbin instead...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

See, that second statement---- it relies upon the logic that "the interests of Jewish Americans are not the interests of Americans" ---- and that's antisemitic.

No, assuming that all American Jews are of like opinion and unquestionably support Israel's opposition to the Iran deal is anti-Semitic, and wrong.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

corn in the bible posted:

what, why cant the united states politics thread be used to discuss the election of the united states politicians

Because there's a D&D-lite full of poo poo posting to do that in. Serious election posting this far out? Come on.

EDIT: Unless you have something more constructive than "who should Bernie's VP be" I suppose

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

corn in the bible posted:

you do know that there was a debate, right?

Which is why the event thread was in that forum and there is a whole other thread in this forum about it (EDIT: was. Now that's probably in that forum too since it was also shitposty)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Antti posted:

2016 is going to be very different to 2008. There has been a lot of polarization during Obama's two terms, both in the politicians and the voters, meaning this kind of crossing over is less likely. In a way elections have become more predictable, at least on the national level. There's a lot less fluidity in how people vote.

Never underestimate the power of "divided government is good government!"

There's a reason Massachusetts has a Democratic majority in its state house, two Democratic senators and a Democratic House delegation, and still, somehow, has had almost exclusively Republican governors since 1990.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grapplejack posted:

If Obama hasn't signed it already she's going to put TPP through as soon as she gets elected.

Which just proves that Bernie, not Hillary, is the real racist, according to that recent pro-TPP article that claimed that opposition to TPP was racist (can't find the link ATM, but it was discussed last month)

EDIT: Here we go.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 9, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Swan Oat posted:

I also think that these black people are too disruptive and rude in their protesting. Perhaps if they would wait their turn and be calm, police would stop murdering them, and things would improve.

Love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's worth considering the facts in the situation: the two who interrupted the rally were not demanding anything of Bernie, but his supporters. You know, the types who all go "but he was a member of SNCC and therefore that absolves him of everything!" Those sorts of people are the insular types who don't understand or respect what BLM stands for, and I can at least understand the desire to shock these people into realizing it.

The only problem is that that rarely works, and usually backfires, from a psychological perspective. Humans are resistant to change, especially if it's being forced on them. This has been shown time and time again in the civil rights movement and elsewhere.

Now I'm not trying to say that these protesters didn't have the best of intentions, or that their motivations were wrong, or even that what they did was not the best action they could have taken, but, at least in terms of effectiveness, it's simply not going to work for a lot of people, especially privileged people, who tend to react badly to being shocked out of their privilege like this.

But then I'm talking myself from a stance of privilege, so I'm sure it's really a Scylla and Charybdis situation. Protest and block and risk losing support because you are disrupting what others want to do (but maybe you make a few people think) or don't protest, and get ignored because no one wants to have a rational conversation because they "have better things to do than to sit down for a few minutes to have a conversation and actually spend time caring about it".

So I guess I can be a little displeased at the outcome, but at the same time I can't really fault their tactics or intent. If you ask them to wait until there's a better time... Surprise! There is never a good time to talk about BLM, and that makes it hard to expect them to not do things like this.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
And more to the point with respect to "why not Hillary?" Bernie has to accept some responsibility bringing this on himself.

Yes, it's unfair that Hillary, who we "know" is worse, gets a clean pass, but she wasn't the one going to a rally where these things were going to come up (by which I mean NetRoots, not the Seattle one). She wasn't the one who botched "say her name" by listing two male names alongside Sandra Bland's. The blame for these things can only go to Bernie, and Bernie has to suck it up and make amends.

If nothing else, you have to acknowledge that Hillary knows how to play the political game and has done so quite well here. You may not respect her tactics or positions, but from a political stance, she was absolutely right to stay out of the fray, because it worked, and her stance among African Americans is higher for it. (Since she could afford to play the political game and time was on her side) If you don't like that fact, then maybe you should take a few steps back and remember that politics is about appearance first and opinions second, even though us D&Ders (myself included) can often think and hope otherwise.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Also, he hired a BLM person recently. Was he wrong for doing that if BLM is so terrible for getting the message out?

My thought is that this is a good first step, but I'm not sure it's going to be sufficient. He needs to have a stump speech directly addressing race issues in an appropriate way if he wants them to really take him seriously (i.e. one without his normal twisting of them into economic issues). Until he does that and specifically addresses African Americans on issues that directly affect them on a daily basis, offering concrete solutions instead of rising-tide platitudes, I don't think people will think he'll have done enough. But I think hiring a BLM person onto his team will definitely stand a chance of pushing him that way, so he may still be able to pull it off.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Okay, that is good. Bernie is doing reasonably well then. But still, even the July 26 link has, buried in its footer, an attempt to link the economic and civil rights as "inextricably joined". Now this may be a fair representation of Bernie's views, but it's still not going to work for civil rights in this day and age. But it's definitely looking better than I thought it was.

Solkanar512 posted:

The rally was specifically for Medicare and Social Security, not Bernie Sanders.

That obscures the point. Yes, it wasn't a Bernie Sanders rally, but it is inarguable that a good number of people at that rally at that particular point in time were there to hear Bernie Sanders speak, regardless of the actual point of the rally. You can't hand wave the people who attend a Scott Walker speech at CPAC away by saying "oh they were just there for CPAC, not for Scott Walker".

There's a reason they specifically jumped in before Bernie spoke, as opposed to any other point during the rally.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 9, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Maarek posted:

I don't know if this was intended as a damning insult towards 'civil rights in this day and age' but it is one.

Huh? No, I was probably not clear. What I was trying to say is that a purely Marxist/economic analysis of civil rights (like that to which Bernie reportedly subscribes) is very probably a flawed one, given that economics cannot easily explain the persistent racist bias we see in policing, housing, etc.

EDIT: While it's true that the racial animus can perhaps be analyzed as historically rooted-in/created-by economic needs, I don't think it can be explained solely in that light any more, as I think racial animus now has an existence and set of effects unto itself.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 9, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Maarek posted:

No, I understood you. I am just agreeing that people considering "civil rights" as a separate issue from economic justice for poor black people is definitely a fair representation of civil rights 'in this day and age' and why this day and age sucks so bad. MLK got this 50 years ago.

Oh okay. I follow. I thought you were describing my personal opinions of civil rights as opposed to the current state of civil rights. I got confused! But it sounds like we're in agreement.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

September 18 and it's the same format as the Fox debate with the top ten in the Varsity debate and the anyone pulling one percent in the JV debate.

So when do they start playing musical chairs?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It was only good if you already like her.

I mean obviously people are going to judge it through the lens of their opinions towards her, so I think the only actual relevant opinion is that of the people who were hosting her and I don't k of what that is but the guy she was responding to didn't look too happy. If he said it was a bad answer would you say he was wrong?

Democracy Now! had an interview with two of the BLM activists involved this morning, so maybe you could check that out. (Hint: they were somewhat more accepting of Hillary's response than they are of Bernie's up to now)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Bad news. It looks like Deez Nuts is not actually eligible to be President of the United States.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Even so, it seems like certain government officials are taking Trump's message to heart, putting in place inspections to try to stem the tide of criminals flooding across the Mexico-US border.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Okonner posted:

Jesus loving Christ

* This is what people on LessWrong really believe.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

Well...it's a de-jure semi-state of war now b-baka...

For the second time in three years.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Klaus88 posted:

I want to say that Gerald Ford is the only Republican Ex-presidential that Homer Simpson hasn't immidentialy taken a massive disliking too and gotten into a fistfight with.

I dunno. He seems to like his Rappin' Ronnie Reagan tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sillyloquy posted:

Scott Walker deftly navigates around the birthright citizenship controversy.

I wonder if this guy needs to be told what his opinion is on what he ate for breakfast.

Well we should be unsurprised that he likes to punt on things.

• Locked thread