Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

So what's to prevent politicians from spending unlimited public money to get elected, and then shutting down government rather than raise taxes to pay for the $28 million worth of adbuys in the Atlanta media market for their Congressional-level campaign?

Smells like stupid to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

EugeneJ posted:

The Koch brothers are both pretty old - do they have some lovely Young Republican heir that we should be worried about in the future? Or will the craziness stop when they die?

Kochs merely head a foundation which amalgamates R campaign infrastructure. When they die, the foundation's sovreign wealth fund will continue to fund its operations for at least a generation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

An interesting wrinkle here: Zephyr Teachout, the new head of Larry Lessig's precious PAC, has been railing against Bernie for not calling for public financing for a while now.

In theory, their PAC should now start financially supporting Bernie, but at the same time Bernie really doesn't want PAC financing.

Why would he? Bernie's the great white hope of the 2016 election; I bet Sanders wouldn't even take cash from pro-nuclear groups and lobbyists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

EugeneJ posted:

What if Bernie gets the nomination - let's say he does and needs a running mate. Does he automatically exclude Hillary/O'Malley/Biden from consideration since they've all taken PAC contributions? Or is their PAC money off-limits at that point since they're just running for VP?

That's like asking what if Trump gets the R nomination.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

I would assume there's a limit (though the bill isn't going to pass anyway).

How can you limit free speech? Sounds like Sanders is proposing a modern alien & sedition act

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That story just goes to show why it should be legal in some cases to prevent employees from discussing their salaries with each other.

If your salary isn't disclosed online, you just ain't working a good career.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Unfortunately NPR doesn't have a transcript and I can't listen to the story at work. What are the white residents worried about at the town hall? Can anyone provides the quotes from the 25 minute mark?

They're worried about superhuman thugs

No, I'm not going off a transcript; I'm going off what I heard.

St Louis delenda est
NoCo delenda est
Segregation delenda est

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone remember I think it was maybe Salon or Variety, doing a article about how "founding fathers" would flip their poo poo absolutely at having a president who was the son of another president. I remember there was some serious writings by one of founding fathers about familial dynasties.

What do you think the founding fathers would flip their poo poo about more, the son of a former president running, or the wife of a former president running?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

A black guy being president IMO.

More or less than a woman being President?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Young Freud posted:

A good number of them, like Ben Franklin and Thomas Paine, were ardent abolitionists, if not later in life. Of course, abolition does not equal equality.

A few of them, like Jefferson, knew that it wasn't adultery when your property produce a bastard.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

welcome to white suburban conservatives. these people are literally like a solid third of the country and have complete political control in most cities, especially midwest rust belt ones like st louis

They control stl.

They don't control Chicago.

Chicago is no longer rust-belt; its greentrenpreneur.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

*Supports Gay Marriage*

*Sends children to all white school using vouchers*

I see you're a Sanders supporter.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

T. Bombastus posted:

Haha I honestly agree with you that most of that article was underwhelming, outrage-wise (there's a picture of them on a bus that looks like it started its life as part of a regional Greyhound subsidiary). That said, you are definitely ugly and probably stupid too?? also i think you might smell bad so
*Supports Gay Marriage*

*Sends children to all white school because the black schools got shut down*

*I am in Chicago, that is the joke*

Gee, maybe if you shut down the all-black schools, then black children will get to go to white schools? Whuda thunkit!

This isn't 1879 any more where folks shut down black schools and replace them with nothing; this is 2016, when black children have an equal right to education up until the age of 21 unless incarcerated as white children.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

The schools that have the largest influx of black students suddenly lose their funding as the white students there flee to other districts. Those schools are eventually shut down, forcing black families to send their kids to schools even further away from home, schools which will also eventually be defunded. Eventually you're left with virtually no urban schools at all and black students bussing out to the suburbs.

See, here's the thing: eventually you're left with new urban schools, a revitalized, racially integrated downtown, a strong tech and vencap sector, and black families living in suburbs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pathetic little tramp posted:

I wonder if the Senate was ever a deliberative body? Like, none of these speeches ever change anyone's minds because they go into the back room and get threatened to vote the right way or else big daddy corporate master won't let them slurp their cock like a whore come election time.

I agree, if only canes were still allowed, then then all that back-room threatening and 'debate' could be brought onto CSPAN

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

I see Boomers get a lot of hate but holy poo poo gently caress Gen X, that's a generation that loving loves Reagan cause "you don't know what the 70s were like he made us feel so much better." I swear to Christ I'm shocked when I meet someone in their 30s to 50s who isn't a racist conservative poo poo head.

Maybe Gen x felt like poo poo for a reason.

Maybe they need to feel like poo poo again, for a reason.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just once I'd like to see Biden cast some tiebreaking votes

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Sure let's just ignore that the Democrats hit 40 no votes before McConnell voted. These guys not voting yes is the sole reason Planned Parenthood still has funding.

Every child learns the Senate requires a simple majority, not 60 votes, to pass something.

These guys not voting yes are the sole reason the majority of the R base thinks PP still has funding.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

There was a good talk on Charlie Rose last night with the then-US ambassador to KSA. The KSA royals couldn't accept that it was sauds who did 9/11 and their money which assisted in indirectly facilitating the plot, so they blamed israel and declared the whole thing a mossad action.

Maybe if Israel lived in a region free of antisemitic policymakers, like what we achieved with the removal of Morsi in Egypt, then America wouldn't be at risk from islamists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

They had a simple majority without them!

This is politics, JT Jag! Optics are more important than actual policy and procedure

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Probably the reams of data that shows preventive care saves money, would be my guess.

Most preventative care, like simple prostate screenings or yearly physicals; some, very expensive, preventative care is greatly over-utilized.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gounads posted:

Well.. it doesn't really show it saves money overall. It's using a comparison to years of quality life. If people die sooner, they may well use less healthcare and be cheaper.

Luckily, price isn't the only thing we should be considering.

Some people should die sooner, though. Until we're willing to admit that, we won't be able to have a rational dialogue on healthcare, whether its government's role or abortion.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

But think how much money we'd save on hospital bills if we just exterminated everyone in America right now!

Sometimes, individuals deserve a right to die.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Whats everybody drinking for the Trumpageddon?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grey Fox posted:

What the hell is up with these absurd prices on total garbage at campaign stores? Can you get around individual campaign donation limits by buying a bunch of this marked-up trash?

No, you can't get around limits. You're limited to a doublemax per person for campaign schlock.

They have these absurd prices because the purpose of a campaign is to MAKE SOME loving MONEY

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

You don't get around the limits, you simply maximize your actual receipts from the merch.

If you sell an actually $90 item for $100, say, your direct gain is $10. Find a way to sell a $5 trinket for $100 though and you're a lot farther ahead and probably got someone who wouldn't do a straight $100 donation.

Also SuperPAC money does not go to the actual campaigns, why is this so hard for people to get?

Well, it can go to the actual campaign, if you structure the mechanisms correctly.

But that's mostly for House races; Presidential don't need to spread the wealth.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Isn't it sexist to assume someone can speak to blue-collar women just because they're a woman?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

Blue collar women want jobs and Trump knows how to make jobs!

Blue collar women want Trump ya jooz, and Trump knows how to make Trump!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Basically he has to say the n-word.

"When Barack Obama said 'friend of the family,' what kind of example is he setting for black Americans who want jobs and the opportunity to work, rather than racist dialogue?"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

They're insane.

They're all insane.

Not really; they're all opportunists, like all politicians. They're playing to different bases.

The only one who is genuine is Trump.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

Gee, I wonder what was going on in the 1940s that caused a sudden increase in the size of the US Military?

A jobs program that defeated proto-ISIL.

I wish we'd create 6 million jobs through a naval arms race. That'd be so baller.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Is it just me, or does Christie seem like a fat Rudy?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

"Our Navy is the smallest it's been since 1917!"

Man, we're running low on telegram machines in Washington.

Look, we've got operable rail guns in the navy. We've got autonomous aircraft. Why don't we have a modern fleet, both able to project offensive capacity with railguns and aircraft carriers which are able to operate solely autonomous aircraft?

This is why I support Trump's plan for "private single-payer" and the 10% tithe on capital gains proposed by Dr. Carson.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You know what'd be swell? If Republicans keep hosting these debates and kicking out the bottom candidate each month.

What better reality tv than American political theatre?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Who Wants To Be A Republican Nominee, coming this fall to Fox News.

i think you mean coming this fall to Fox

to be cancelled 3 episodes in

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Schumer's up for reelection in 2016. Gillibrand is only up in 2018. He is going to vote no, she's going to vote yes. It may be related.

When Iran cheats, and there's no mechanism for reimposing sanctions, watch as everyone who voted yes gabblegrobbles like a headless turkey to backtrack as fast as possible.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

I know you're just being you right now, but there totally is a mechanism for reimposing sanctions in the Iran deal. It's called 'snapback'.

Nobody's gonna snap back, and we know it. That's why the deal is absolute poo poo.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And why on earth would that ever happen? Guy's put in his time so unless you've got him with a live boy/dead girl, you're stuck with him.

Unless they really just want Durbin instead...

If it comes down to a question of whether I'm opposed to the Iran deal or support Durbin more, boy, that's a tough one.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It wouldn't, Obama is just loving with schumer because he's being an rear end in a top hat and putting AIPAC ahead of this foreign policy coup.

Schumer puts his constituents ahead of an unpopular president's agenda? :monocle: Must be an AIPAC plot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Schumer is an Israeli politician? :crossarms:

That's a bit anti-semitic. New York has one of the nation's largest Jewish populations, a population which Schumer represents.

• Locked thread