Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

I see an insane number of loaded F-250/350's and big GM/Dodge equivalents running around, and those fuckers are 50-60K, so I fail to see how a hypothetical 30-40K Tesla is just for Richie Rich.

I mean, I can't afford one, but obviously a lot of people could.

Actually I bet if we plotted out a graph with data points on value of Pick up truck and actual wealth of the individual it'd probably be reverse corollary.

People who buy those things often aren't really in a financial position to do so-if they were, they tend not to buy beefy pick up trucks, but actual luxury vehicles

Its anecdotal, I guess, but the point is the same person that buys the $50K truck is probably not the same person that would actually go for a $50K Electric car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least the subsidies are creating US manufacturing jobs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Actually I bet if we plotted out a graph with data points on value of Pick up truck and actual wealth of the individual it'd probably be reverse corollary.

People who buy those things often aren't really in a financial position to do so-if they were, they tend not to buy beefy pick up trucks, but actual luxury vehicles

Its anecdotal, I guess, but the point is the same person that buys the $50K truck is probably not the same person that would actually go for a $50K Electric car.

Well supposedly the most popular car for millionaires is the F150

http://blog.lendingclub.com/incredible-statistics-about-millionaires-in-america/

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

etalian posted:

Telsa would have been hosed if the Obama administration had not given them a DOE loan when they where cashed starved during their growing phase.

The $450 million dollars loan held them over until they were financially able to turn the corner.

Thanks Obama!

reminder the big 3 got nearly 100 billion in the auto bailout and they still make nothing but rolling shitboxes

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jastiger posted:

Pickup trucks are the luxury vehicle of anyone that doesn't have a residence in an urban (NYC) area.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JnnyThndrs posted:

I see an insane number of loaded F-250/350's and big GM/Dodge equivalents running around, and those fuckers are 50-60K, so I fail to see how a hypothetical 30-40K Tesla is just for Richie Rich.

I mean, I can't afford one, but obviously a lot of people could.

you can write off pretty much the entire cost of trucks as business expenses

same reason every other car on the road was an excursion or escalade 10 years ago

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Well supposedly the most popular car for millionaires is the F150

http://blog.lendingclub.com/incredible-statistics-about-millionaires-in-america/

Yeah what others said. I think its generally a "Business Vehicle", especially if they are in contracting or a small business owner.

computer parts posted:

Pickup trucks are the luxury vehicle of anyone that doesn't have a residence in an urban (NYC) area.

I dunno, maybe. It is striking to me as someone that deals in auto insurance with people, that folks that have the BEEFY PICK UP TRUCK are not good with money. I mean why spend $50K on a luxury pick up when you could put that same money towards a nice family vehicle or sedan. Its a status symbol for people that think vehicles are status symbols but don't want to come off as well-off. Its a weird social phenomena I think.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

But how will people know that you're a Real Man if you don't drive a giant truck?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Jastiger posted:

Yeah what others said. I think its generally a "Business Vehicle", especially if they are in contracting or a small business owner.

I dunno, maybe. It is striking to me as someone that deals in auto insurance with people, that folks that have the BEEFY PICK UP TRUCK are not good with money. I mean why spend $50K on a luxury pick up when you could put that same money towards a nice family vehicle or sedan. Its a status symbol for people that think vehicles are status symbols but don't want to come off as well-off. Its a weird social phenomena I think.

can't haul poo poo in a sedan

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

comes along bort posted:

reminder the big 3 got nearly 100 billion in the auto bailout and they still make nothing but rolling shitboxes

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

Ford does decent.

They also didn't actually get money from the bailout, but still.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

can't haul poo poo in a sedan

Lol the F150 hauls fine. You know mother fuckers aren't getting a $60K truck just to haul stuff. There are far more efficient ways to do that, especially if they have a family.

Tesla should make the same vehicle, but put it in a Ford F250 or Dodge Ram 2500 truck chassis, and charge $90K for it, but with all the same guts (so its technically slower and less responsive than the car)

It'd outsell a $35K exact same model, but in a sedan 2 to 1 I bet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Ford does decent.

Not true even though Ford did use the talking point in its ad campaign:
http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

During the 2009 recession Ford did receive $5.9 billion dollars in government aid for cap ex upgrades
focused on plants which produced more energy efficient models.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't know about pickup trucks but there was talk at some point about electric trucks in general. IIRC Musk was speculating and saying that they would actually be a lot easier to manufacture than an electric car from an engineering perspective, but they simply don't have enough batteries.

The "gigafactory" might change that though.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know about pickup trucks but there was talk at some point about electric trucks in general. IIRC Musk was speculating and saying that they would actually be a lot easier to manufacture than an electric car from an engineering perspective, but they simply don't have enough batteries.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Ford does decent.

the fed bought 16 billion in debt securities from ford motor credit

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

enraged_camel posted:

What a loving dumbass this guy is. LOL!

Here it is once more for you:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Didn't the government get all but $12 billion back? Not that 12 billion is pocket change.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Yeah, Ford definitely benefited from the bailout.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

he's terrified that more bad Terminator movies will get made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s92ftql59IU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

JnnyThndrs posted:

comes along bort posted:

Stop trying to ruin Real American Dreams.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

At least Ford and Chevy didn't take the money and then sell themselves to Italians anyway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Germstore posted:

At least Ford and Chevy didn't take the money and then sell themselves to Italians anyway.

Yeah, those loving etalians!

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, those loving etalians!

:rolleyes:

LMFAO this guy just doesnt get it! What a silly motherfucker!

Get this through your thickened skull!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Germstore posted:

the Fiat-Chrysler merger had predictably hilarious results

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

the Fiat-Chrysler merger had predictably hilarious results

Both are terrible auto manufacturers that make cars for poors or idiots lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Both are terrible auto manufacturers that make cars for poors or idiots lol.

Always fun reading reviews for the latest FIAT in auto magazines.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Always fun reading reviews for the latest FIAT in auto magazines.

Give us a snippet here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Give us a snippet here.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-fiat-500-sport-long-term-wrap-up-review

quote:

But the 500 never fully cooperated when we tried to drive it hard. The superlight clutch pedal offered all the resistance of overcooked linguine, and one logbook comment deemed the shifter to be “possibly the worst in any modern car.” Commenters left colorful, unprintable notes about the tepid throttle response as well as excessive wind and tire noise, large blind spots, and a ride that often crashed over bumps. High winds turned our morning commutes into wrestling matches with the steering wheel.

It's also around the same price as a Honda or Toyota while having worse bluebook resale value.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What's a reasonably good alternative to rubber tires.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How long until the the Chinese make their own ripoff version?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I want a Volt because I like unions.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

etalian posted:

How long until the the Chinese make their own ripoff version?

of a fiat or tesla?

if it's the latter

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099332_youxia-electric-tesla-clone-from-china-so-bad-it-makes-us-laugh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A sign of success is having the Chinese rip you off.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

you can write off pretty much the entire cost of trucks as business expenses

same reason every other car on the road was an excursion or escalade 10 years ago

Some friendly advice: You should hire a professional to do your taxes.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

idk this guy with the question mark suit seems pretty trustworthy

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-fiat-500-sport-long-term-wrap-up-review

It's also around the same price as a Honda or Toyota while having worse bluebook resale value.

Lol thats hilarious. How can that company exist with ratings like that.

Oh yeah because people are dumb and buy poo poo like PT Cruisers and Kia Souls

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Lol thats hilarious. How can that company exist with ratings like that.

Oh yeah because people are dumb and buy poo poo like PT Cruisers and Kia Souls

It's a mystery since the company also owns great reliable brands like Jeep now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

JebanyPedal posted:

Gay car????

So what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

JebanyPedal posted: