Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
David Wright *might* be available to DH when the Mets play in Baltimore in a few weeks.

I fully expect to hear of a "setback" as soon as he starts minor league games next Monday.

e:

quote:

Anthony DiComo
‏@AnthonyDiComo
Bartolo Colon just hit a batting practice home run. Absolutely everything is coming up #Mets these days

e2: Also I will never get sick of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk0uDUyrZ0g

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Woah. Lucchino out as Red Sox CEO.

quote:

@BostonGlobe: Breaking: Larry Lucchino out as Red Sox CEO, @Dan_shaughnessy reports

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's unexpected as hell.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
some people reporting he's "out" and some people are reporting he's "leaving"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well that sure is something.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well, the ownership of the Sox had to do something; whether or not it was the right thing remains to be seen. Lucchino always came across as a confrontational rear end in a top hat in what I had read about him. Not sure if that's entirely true or if it's just Shaugnessey & Co. grinding their axes again.

Also Travis Shaw is alright.

E: I mean, Lucchino was the guy who came up with the whole "Evil Empire" bullshit a decade or so ago.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 2, 2015

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Somebody gotta fall on that sword

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bill what are you implying

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/the-benches-cleared-in-fridays-giants-rangers-game/

(it's racism instead of Bumgarner just being a whiny pissbaby)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

N: Rizzo has now Rizzbombed in four consecutive games.

V:

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 2, 2015

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Mike_V posted:

Jesus Christ Matt Moore has been awful since coming back from TJ. Is he gonna find his stuff?

He's getting sent down apparently. Pitching Prospects.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

cya lucchino. if only he could take dan shaugnessy with him into a big awful pit of gravel or something

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Reformed Pissboy posted:

cya lucchino. if only he could take dan shaugnessy with him into a big awful pit of gravel or something

Speaking of Shaugnessy, does anyone have the link to Andino killing the Red Sox to the tune of Sweet Caroline? I want to send it to my friend from Boston on the anniversary this year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrChips posted:

Well, the ownership of the Sox had to do something; whether or not it was the right thing remains to be seen. Lucchino always came across as a confrontational rear end in a top hat in what I had read about him. Not sure if that's entirely true or if it's just Shaugnessey & Co. grinding their axes again.

Haven't the Red Sox used Shaughnessy as their hatchet man for the last like 15 years? Tomorrow he'll be breaking a story that Lucchino was railing hookers in the team conference room or something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The hatchet job will be that Lucchino didn't share Cheringtons vision and had tied the GMs hands and had forced some signing or another (Pablo!) and that's why he's gone.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

N: The Mets have won their 1st two games against the Nats and now are a single game out of 1st place in the NL East with the last game of the series tomorrow night.

V:

Lucas Duda is scorching hot right now, he has 8 HR in his last 7 games or something silly like that and the Nats IBB'd Cespedes to face him due to MATCHUPS and he promptly crushed an RBI double for the go-ahead score. Cespedes trade already paying dividends and it's been one game.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Timby posted:

Haven't the Red Sox used Shaughnessy as their hatchet man for the last like 15 years? Tomorrow he'll be breaking a story that Lucchino was railing hookers in the team conference room or something.

Shaughnessy is as much of a loose cannon as he is an ally from the perspective of the front office/ownership. In one of his books, Reversing the Curse(that I had the misfortune of being given for Christmas one year), he does a huge hatchet job on Lucchino, essentially saying that he was the sole reason why Theo left the FO in the first place (which is highly debatable and very likely wrong - sure Lucchino was trying to play GM towards the end but at the same time Theo achieved what he wanted and felt that the stress of the job wasn't worth the reward).

Basically what I'm saying is that Shaughnessy is a bad person who uses his admittedly decent writing skills to advance his own moron agenda. I personally can't stand reading his columns, and I'm certainly not alone in that opinion among Red Sox fans.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
So I brought up replays in the last thread and then wasn't online before the thread closed.

Yes, of course the replays are conducted in NYC...by umpires. Who know what was called on the field and thus can avoid showing up their fellow umpires by not overturning the call. Why do they know what the call was? Just either make a call or say 'too close to call' and let the unknown call stand, letting them know what the call on the field was is just stupid.

For this season less than 50% of replays have led to an overturned call. This may seem like a pretty good percentage, but given that teams almost never challenge until they have viewed a replay and determined that the call was wrong, it seems pretty ridiculous to me. My personal basis for this was that the Tigers have had an astonishing 7 out of 19 challenges work out, and at least 15 or 16 of those challenges were clearly the wrong call.

It seems pretty evident to me from the games I've seen this year that if the call is even remotely close it will not be overturned. Even to a more extreme example than the NFL's replay rules. It's better than nothing, but it's still a lovely broken system. If a player beats a throw to a base, they're safe. It shouldn't matter if they were called out on the field and it was 'really close'. But that's how it's being called this year.

It just seems like a rule that could really use some improvements. At the very least just spell it out that something is only going to be overturned if it's an incredibly egregious call, and then we won't waste so much time on pointless challenges.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
N: Dodgers currently paying $85.75MM to eight players who aren't on their team anymore.

quote:

Hector Olivera, 3B (Atlanta Braves) | $28 million

Matt Kemp, OF (San Diego Padres) | $18 million

Dan Haren, RHP (Chicago Cubs) | $10 million

Brian Wilson, RHP (free agent) | $9.5 million

Brandon League, RHP (free agent) | $7.5 million

Michael Morse, 1B/OF (Pittsburgh Pirates) | $7.5 million

Ryan Webb, RHP (Cleveland Indians) | $2.75 million

Dee Gordon, 2B (Miami Marlins) | $2.5 million

V: I think the Olivera contract is the most startling because that was a signing made most recently by the front office and is now gone.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

N: Dodgers currently paying $85.75MM to eight players who aren't on their team anymore.

V: I think the Olivera contract is the most startling because that was a signing made most recently by the front office and is now gone.

Thats more than the Astros entire payroll

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

For this season less than 50% of replays have led to an overturned call. This may seem like a pretty good percentage, but given that teams almost never challenge until they have viewed a replay and determined that the call was wrong, it seems pretty ridiculous to me. My personal basis for this was that the Tigers have had an astonishing 7 out of 19 challenges work out, and at least 15 or 16 of those challenges were clearly the wrong call.

It is not true that managers only challenge when they are sure that the call is wrong. Managers often challenge when the game is getting late and the play is close, because they soon won't be able to challenge so why not. Managers also challenge often when a run is at stake, because a run in a tight game is so important, that challenging on the off chance that the call is overturned is definitely worth it even if the evidence doesn't suggest that the call will be changed.

The only real problem that I can see with instant replay is that the camera angles are often not very useful. When the threshold is indisputable evidence to overturn a call, there very often simply aren't camera angles to prove it. While what we see may suggest that the call should be overturned, that's not enough. But outside of having an extra dozen or two camera bays in stadiums, there really is no fix to this. And even if you had more cameras, the very nature of baseball, and sport in general, often leads to cameras being blocked, bodies being in the way etc.

I also can't think of any egregious calls from Jays games this year where I was outraged that a call wasn't overturned. There's been several calls that I thought should probably be overturned that weren't, but again that was pretty much always because the camera angles stunk, and while the views suggested one thing, suggestion isn't enough.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Why do they know what the call was?
First, what are you going to do, only give them camera angles where the ump isn't visible making a bang-bang call or quickly have a video guy crop him out? And second, football replay has always operated under the principle that there's a presumption that the call on the field is correct, and there's a high burden of proof to overturn it. This seems pretty sensible if you want replay to be about fixing egregious, avoidable errors rather than just second-guessing. Is there a good reason baseball should work differently?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is there a good reason baseball should work differently?

Because he thinks his team is getting screwed

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MassaShowtime posted:

The hatchet job will be that Lucchino didn't share Cheringtons vision and had tied the GMs hands and had forced some signing or another (Pablo!) and that's why he's gone.

Luchinno is 70, and had already been taking a less active role with the Red Sox. He's been spending most of his time recently working on the acquisition of the PawSox and trying to con Providence into building them a new stadium. I'll be surprised if there are any hatchet jobs done on a co-owner of the team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

presented without comment so you can enjoy it fully

http://www.gfycat.com/TotalAmazingHyracotherium

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

IcePhoenix posted:

That should be paired with him striking out Ryan on a high fastball at 85 MPH to end the inning.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

That whole AB was pretty great.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Anyone have any idea what was going on at the beginning of the first inning in the Mariners game? Lloyd was asking the umps about something, and they checked something on the monitor and then started the bottom half of the inning. I was watching in a bar w/o sound and haven't been able to find anything on Twitter. Anyone catch that?

E: Nevermind, apparently it was some issue with the dugout video feed. Boring.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

IcePhoenix posted:

LaLob Lives

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The big problem with replay is the existence of the Coach Challenge in the first place, why the gently caress are we gating the ability to get calls right behind some arbitrary gamesmanship by the teams? I don't want to see bad calls standing because the team already used up their challenge, and I don't want to see good calls getting challenged because "well, we may as well hope it gets overturned." Just have someone loving watching the replay and calling the umps on the field if they need to take another look at it, gently caress, this is so simple.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: wrong tab

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Mornacale posted:

The big problem with replay is the existence of the Coach Challenge in the first place, why the gently caress are we gating the ability to get calls right behind some arbitrary gamesmanship by the teams? I don't want to see bad calls standing because the team already used up their challenge, and I don't want to see good calls getting challenged because "well, we may as well hope it gets overturned." Just have someone loving watching the replay and calling the umps on the field if they need to take another look at it, gently caress, this is so simple.

Baseball is already slow blah blah blah pace of play blah blah blah human element blah blah blah.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I bet it would be faster to just review the plays that need it than to have to take 2 minutes for every OF assist at home because one team has their fingers crossed about a blocking-the-plate technicality

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone please forward this to Alfredo Simon so he can see how to throw a proper loving eephus.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

So how/why did Cespedes wear out his welcome in Boston anyways?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

davecrazy posted:

So how/why did Cespedes wear out his welcome in Boston anyways?

If you believe the rumors it's because he wasn't willing to move to right field. Really though, the boring no drama answer is that he was the most sensible of the billion outfielders they had on the roster to trade for pitching. His contract says you can't place a qualifying offer on him after his contract expires, so if you don't think you're willing to pay what he wants ship him out and get something in return. Plus, for one reason or another he had the highest trade value of all the guys they were willing to move.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mornacale posted:

This is basically what happens though. The RULES of replay are dumb as hell, but thats not how they're actually applied. Have you EVER seen an umpire say "no I will not review this because you already lost your challenge?" I haven't. Umps are reviewing anything that needs review regardless of previous success/failure, and other than that Giants game with plate blocking at the very start of last season I cannot think of a single egregious example of replay outcomes being dumb and bad.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

howe_sam posted:

If you believe the rumors it's because he wasn't willing to move to right field. Really though, the boring no drama answer is that he was the most sensible of the billion outfielders they had on the roster to trade for pitching. His contract says you can't place a qualifying offer on him after his contract expires, so if you don't think you're willing to pay what he wants ship him out and get something in return. Plus, for one reason or another he had the highest trade value of all the guys they were willing to move.

I know there's also dumb rumors that he's clubhouse cancer that's why he gets traded so often now

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Porcello to the DL with :airquote: tricep tightness :airquote:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Do the Cardinals re-sign Heyward with their upcoming TV deal lining their pockets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
Apparently multiple angels players are real pissed that CJ Wilson opted to get surgery instead of pitch through increasing elbow pain, and the Angels org isn't exactly standing behind him either. Once again, gently caress the Angels always and forever :ughh:

• Locked thread