Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm excited because this week is Jayson Werth chia pet day. Gonna get to admire some sweet chia chest hair soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:smith:

Was there ever a Cubs fedora day? I've got a Cubs floppy fishing hat, but no fedora.

Yes, I think it was last May, a Saturday game versus the Cards with Michael Wacha starting. I shipped both of the Cubs fedoras I got out of it to my Cubs fan father downstate.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Intruder posted:

I'm glad the Astros finally realized blue and orange are the best colors

I wish the Astros and Padres would go back to using their early 80s uniform colours. Back when I was little I used to follow baseball religiously over the summer and I loved their uniforms.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

The Twins already did the best World Series troll bobblehead, I'm afraid there's no topping it:

this was the best play in baseball history

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
When I was in NYC in 2009 one of the games I went to was a 40th anniversary for the 1969 championship team. Got given a t-shirt with the logo on the front and 69 as the number on the back. I've never worn it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The 2015 Mets will Save Baseball.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

It was definitely thanks to those umpire fans sitting behind home plate.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I just looked at the Blue Jays lineup against the Twins today and they are batting Tulo 1st.

They would have had a field day with Brad Radke with Tulo/Donaldson/Bautista/EE leading off the game.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Dubious posted:

this was the best play in baseball history

How does it feel to be literally worse than Hitler?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

seiferguy posted:

The Twins already did the best World Series troll bobblehead, I'm afraid there's no topping it:

They didn't make Hrbek nearly fat or white enough.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Requisite local Twins commercial from 2014.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31611689/teaching-how-to-play-first-with-kent-hrbek

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They didn't make Hrbek nearly fat or white enough.

Wonder how Ron Gant feels about being immortalized with an early 90s wispy moustache on a bobblehead?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I have watched this play dozens of times and I don't think there's even enough evidence that would let a video review overturn it. Gant makes hard contact and it all unfolds from there. Hrbek could have had a post-baseball career as a stunt double. He's smooth.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dingleberry Jones posted:

How does it feel to be literally worse than Hitler?

I don't know, you tell me.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Feels good, man

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Carlos Gomez after Astros beat Dbacks 4-1 posted:

"I'm fine anywhere, but I love here," said Carlos Gomez as the fog thinned. "Those guys make me feel sexy."

I like this guy and his use of the word sexy.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/140685512/carlos-gomez-loving-club-astros-environment

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

So he's outed himself as a former Up & In listener?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

I just looked at the Blue Jays lineup against the Twins today and they are batting Tulo 1st.

They would have had a field day with Brad Radke with Tulo/Donaldson/Bautista/EE leading off the game.

With the usual caveat that batting order doesn't matter much, it's odd to me that they trade for prototypical leadoff hitter Ben Revere and then bat him 9th.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Get your best hitters as many at bats as possible. Plus Revere's OBP is about 30 points lower than Tulo's.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

With the usual caveat that batting order doesn't matter much, it's odd to me that they trade for prototypical leadoff hitter Ben Revere and then bat him 9th.

John Gibbons is supposed to be a god amongst insects when it comes to baseball tactics (given the pool of managers in MLB) and I think this might just show that he gets what Revere is which is a guy who needs to get on base to be of use but doesn't do that enough to bat lead-off in this lineup.

Tulo
Martin
EE
Bautista
Navarro
Donaldson

There's the top 6 hitters. My God, that lineup disgusts me.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 3, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Carlos is the best.

After his extension with the Brewers, there's a story about him sitting with Ryan Braun in the dugout trying to start conversations about eating lobster and stuff. When Ryan asked him why the hell he was suddenly so interested in lobsters, he said that with his new contract he's a rich person now so he was trying to talk like a rich person. When he first came to the US, he said he ate exclusively Burger King because the BK by his minor league park had pictures on the menu so he could just point (he didn't speak any English) to order. He literally just loves playing baseball and brings an insane exuberance to it every time he's on the field. I will miss him a lot. He is the forever player of my heart.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

They didn't trade for him to be a leadoff hitterr, they traded for a dude that could get on base and catch baseballs in lf cause Colabello and Valencia couldn't do the second thing, obviously.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Oakland claimed Danny Valencia

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Carlos is the best.

After his extension with the Brewers, there's a story about him sitting with Ryan Braun in the dugout trying to start conversations about eating lobster and stuff. When Ryan asked him why the hell he was suddenly so interested in lobsters, he said that with his new contract he's a rich person now so he was trying to talk like a rich person. When he first came to the US, he said he ate exclusively Burger King because the BK by his minor league park had pictures on the menu so he could just point (he didn't speak any English) to order. He literally just loves playing baseball and brings an insane exuberance to it every time he's on the field. I will miss him a lot. He is the forever player of my heart.

He's super awesome and I'm very very glad he's no longer a Brewer so now I can just root against them as a horrible faceless Braun/Garza slimeblob monster instead of worrying that I will somehow hurt Carlos Gomez's awesome feelings in the process.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

DannoMack posted:

Oakland claimed Danny Valencia

I am mad about this, mad at the Blue Jays

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 3, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Well Joe Panik is dead and/or on the 15-day DL. The Giants 2B curse claims another victim.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Well Joe Panik is dead and/or on the 15-day DL. The Giants 2B curse claims another victim.

I'm surprised there isn't an entire room in the clubhouse dedicated to his safety.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Clearly it's because clones break down faster than normal humans.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Ben Revere actually strikes me as a pretty ideal 9 hitter. Gets on base ahead of the all around good hitters at the top of the lineup.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Carlos is the best.

After his extension with the Brewers, there's a story about him sitting with Ryan Braun in the dugout trying to start conversations about eating lobster and stuff. When Ryan asked him why the hell he was suddenly so interested in lobsters, he said that with his new contract he's a rich person now so he was trying to talk like a rich person.

lovely image, but so good.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

tadashi posted:

John Gibbons is supposed to be a god amongst insects when it comes to baseball tactics (given the pool of managers in MLB) and I think this might just show that he gets what Revere is which is a guy who needs to get on base to be of use but doesn't do that enough to bat lead-off in this lineup.

Tulo
Martin
EE
Bautista
Navarro
Donaldson

There's the top 6 hitters. My God, that lineup disgusts me.

I'm familiar with the "sort by OBP/OPS" line of reasoning but I wonder if some baseball analytics writer has looked at LHB/RHB placement in a batting order. I would think there's some advantage to be gained by making opponents burn their LOOGYs/ROOGYs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Time for Chase Utley.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Knit posted:

Ben Revere actually strikes me as a pretty ideal 9 hitter. Gets on base ahead of the all around good hitters at the top of the lineup.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. He hits for a good average but rarely draws walks so he doesn't get on base quite as often as you want your "prototypical" leadoff guy to.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Duda and Thor are your co NL players of the week.

Dudas slash for the past 7 days: 474/.524/1.632

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 3, 2015

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I can't believe Chase Utley is 36 years old. I don't know why, I just thought he was a bit younger. He will also be a free agent after this season since his vesting option won't kick in. He is also really really bad this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies used to keep guys in the minors forever and ever.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

davecrazy posted:

Duda and Thor are your co NL players of the week.

Dudas slash for the past 7 days: 474/.524/1.632

What was his line outside of that week

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

What was his line outside of that week

2015 so far: .249/.348/.489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001