Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

POSTGATE
GUNPOWDERGATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
where's bategate i bet it's hot

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I wonder if viletat is still discernible at this point.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

donkey salami posted:

Obama had to go all the way to Libya to get his gay on?

That doesn't seem veru convenient
he could just make out with one of his secret service agents like president kevin spacey

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

cams posted:

he could just make out with one of his secret service agents like president kevin spacey

Or have gay or trans interns. Whatever. I know if I was president I'd have some hot trans interns sbd mostly cause yeah so wife would be okay maybe not anything. Like okay you like coke 90 percent but sometimes you like sprite. Refreshing. In your mouth and rear end. So what. So coke doesn't need ti go crazy if you keep sprite in your fridge under your desk in the oval office. Beats going to Libya every week. Coke could loosen up and really if coke was open to some new flavors maybe sprite wouldn't look so goid. Crystal coke would it kill you coke honestly

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

donkey salami posted:

Or have gay or trans interns. Whatever. I know if I was president I'd have some hot trans interns sbd mostly cause yeah so wife would be okay maybe not anything. Like okay you like coke 90 percent but sometimes you like sprite. Refreshing. In your mouth and rear end. So what. So coke doesn't need ti go crazy if you keep sprite in your fridge under your desk in the oval office. Beats going to Libya every week. Coke could loosen up and really if coke was open to some new flavors maybe sprite wouldn't look so goid. Crystal coke would it kill you coke honestly

crystal coke sounds like a dangerous mixture of meth and cocaine

it would make an awesome product

and, no more poisoning us with unnecessary food dyes

the only thing that should be food dyed is my edible spermicidal lube

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
But we all agree that it actually happened because that guy made an anti-islamic youtube vid, yes? I am sure I saw Clinton on TV at the same time saying that.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
this is a good example of the american media dictating the 'issues' to suit their politics. this was never a story (the crack pot theories, not the attack) in the rest of the world, because it makes no sense and has no evidence.

obama is actually really liked outside of the US :O

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

let me in mom!!! posted:

didn't read thread cuz i dont understand the title but did anyone say bengayzi yet??

Wait, what does a topical ointment for muscle pain have to do with blowing up buildings in the Middle East?

Wait. Unless... !

donkey salami posted:

Yes, I agree.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
RIP vilerat

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Lascivious Sloth posted:

this is a good example of the american media dictating the 'issues' to suit their politics. this was never a story (the crack pot theories, not the attack) in the rest of the world, because it makes no sense and has no evidence.

(mitt romney walking away from his press conference about benghazi right after it happened, for non-uspol nerds)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
We're up all night to the sun

We're up all night to get some

We're up all night for good fun

We're up all night to Benghazi

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

cams posted:

i tend to be a "well the truth is somewhere in the middle" piece of poo poo and there is not a modicum of logic to benghazi people.

That's because you're not stepping back to look at the big picture. What happened at Benghazi as near as i can tell was that a bunch of spooks were doing spook things in an extremely dangerous environment and also a top ambassador was caught up in it and he and three others were killed which means there was probably some recklessness and negligence in the mix. Instead of swallowing hard and admitting that reckless negligence was at play and enduring the embarrassing fallout, Obama and Clinton immediately started pointing fingers and insisted that

GORDON posted:

that guy made an anti-islamic youtube vid, yes?

and gambled that this would become the narrative to get them out of hot water. And it did for several days. There is nothing that beltway journalists and social media progressives wanted to believe more than "islamophobic xtian bigots caused this!" So that narrative caught fire. Unfortunately for Obama and Clinton this was complete and utter horseshit, but as True Believers they probably at least half believed it themselves and knew their base would eat it up, so they went with it.

As the It Was The Movie narrative began to crumble, conservatives saw the opportunity to label the Obama administration as not only incompetent but also as lying sacks of poo poo. Pretty much everything that has happened since has been a fishing expedition designed to keep a pile of hamfisted spooking and lying in the spotlight. Which has brought out the usual suspects to conspiracy-theorize about what the spooking entailed.

Since the Obama administration is guilty as gently caress of incompetence and lying, progressives are ignoring that and pretending it's all about false charges from nutters. Most conservatives know the nutters won't find anything significant, but are happy to let them prattle on because underneath the whole thing is the lying and incompetence, and they hope people observing from outside the partisan sniping will catch a glimpse of it from time to time. And who knows, sometimes a fishing expedition will catch a whale.

So that is the 'logic' behind it. hth.

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp
everytime someone tells me 'liberal media' is a conspiracy and that they are just as hard on Obama I just point to the lol statistic that anti war protests dropped 90% from 2008-2009 despite 0 drawdown .

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

kindermord posted:

That's because you're not stepping back to look at the big picture. What happened at Benghazi as near as i can tell was that a bunch of spooks were doing spook things in an extremely dangerous environment and also a top ambassador was caught up in it and he and three others were killed which means there was probably some recklessness and negligence in the mix. Instead of swallowing hard and admitting that reckless negligence was at play and enduring the embarrassing fallout, Obama and Clinton immediately started pointing fingers and insisted that

and gambled that this would become the narrative to get them out of hot water. And it did for several days. There is nothing that beltway journalists and social media progressives wanted to believe more than "islamophobic xtian bigots caused this!" So that narrative caught fire. Unfortunately for Obama and Clinton this was complete and utter horseshit, but as True Believers they probably at least half believed it themselves and knew their base would eat it up, so they went with it.

As the It Was The Movie narrative began to crumble, conservatives saw the opportunity to label the Obama administration as not only incompetent but also as lying sacks of poo poo. Pretty much everything that has happened since has been a fishing expedition designed to keep a pile of hamfisted spooking and lying in the spotlight. Which has brought out the usual suspects to conspiracy-theorize about what the spooking entailed.

Since the Obama administration is guilty as gently caress of incompetence and lying, progressives are ignoring that and pretending it's all about false charges from nutters. Most conservatives know the nutters won't find anything significant, but are happy to let them prattle on because underneath the whole thing is the lying and incompetence, and they hope people observing from outside the partisan sniping will catch a glimpse of it from time to time. And who knows, sometimes a fishing expedition will catch a whale.

Loony left!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

benghazi is so weird to me. at least 9-11 weirdos can at least come up with a reason behind it. what is the benghazi motivation, hillary clinton just really wanted those people to die out of spite?

The Republicans had a vested interest to make it look like Obama had some sort of Bush's 9/11-esque gigantic foreign policy/intelligence failure in the run-up to the 2012 elections, so when Ambassador Stevens was attacked and killed, the right-wing media pushed a particular narrative:

A. The Obama Administration was either lying or incompetent when it said that the attack on the Libyan embassy was a result of the anti-Islamic video, and not a premeditated act. This includes how supposedly the Administration refused to call it an act of terror (or, once it's pointed out that it was called an act of terror, that it was not called an act of terror soon enough).

B. The Obama Administration failed to respond appropriately to the attacks, and so Ambassador Stevens and his entourage died when he didn't have to. This is sometimes ties back to point A as far as the reason why the Ambassador wasn't saved was because the Administration didn't take the potential threat seriously enough (because they thought it was because of a video)

People just ran and ran and ran with this narrative until the supposed truth of the incident is now some undecipherable gobbledygook, but the original point of all this is "the official story released by the Obama Administration reveals a tragic and unfortunate series of events, but otherwise one that was handled in the best possible way under the circumstances. Since that would absolve Obama of any possible involvement in a scandal, obviously the official story is false"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I remember someone changed their name to BENGHAZI CURES MODS or something lmao

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Viletat was a code cypher the CIA and high ranking state department officials could use to decode secret messages

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

basement jihadist posted:

BENGHAZIGATE

GATE GATE VGE GATE GATE

GAMERGATE
BRIDGEGATE
GATEGATE

oh wow Watergate was a thing now we can be completely unthoughtful and uncreative and use this dogwhistle of paranoia power when we want to call something/think of something as a "conspiracy" or "scandal" because we added the word gate. GATE.

TEAGATE
ALAMOGATE

its a very controversial scandolous thing because i put "gate" after it oooh boy im such a clever pundit i hope i suck a cock big enough to choke on tonight and die

my favourite is "climategate", which was literally nothing at all

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
hilary doesn't want her emails released because it'll reveal she was in contact with an EVE faction that opposed goonfleet and that'll be the smoking gun

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

don't sign ur posts

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Republicans had a vested interest to make it look like Obama had some sort of Bush's 9/11-esque gigantic foreign policy/intelligence failure in the run-up to the 2012 elections

The narrative right before Benghazi was that Obama was at the tip of the spear of the Arab Spring and a bringer of peace and prosperity to the long-oppressed Muslim proletariat. The attack showed that maybe not all of those liberated were as welcoming as we wanted to believe (lol that sounds familiar), and that maybe having Vilerat and Co. in such a poorly secured location was a mistake. It's true that the administration's misdirection about The Movie handed Republicans a gift right before the election and i'm sure they were thankful for it every day.

quote:

so when Ambassador Stevens was attacked and killed, the right-wing media pushed a particular narrative:

The only narrative for days after the attack was that Islamophobic Christian filmmakers were directly responsible for inciting it. After that fell apart yeah they pointed a million candlepower spotlight on it. Watching the scrambling cockroaches ever since has been entertaining.

quote:

A. The Obama Administration was either lying or incompetent when it said that the attack on the Libyan embassy was a result of the anti-Islamic video, and not a premeditated act.

The incompetence was getting them killed in the first place. The lying was trying to cover up why it happened by smearing ppl that had nothing to do with it. So it's "lying and incompetent" you were looking for try to use ur words more carefully.

quote:

This includes how supposedly the Administration refused to call it an act of terror (or, once it's pointed out that it was called an act of terror, that it was not called an act of terror soon enough).

lol i'd forgotten about how they tried to call it a demonstration when they knew it was actually a premeditated attack thanks for reminding me.

quote:

B. The Obama Administration failed to respond appropriately to the attacks, and so Ambassador Stevens and his entourage died when he didn't have to. This is sometimes ties back to point A as far as the reason why the Ambassador wasn't saved was because the Administration didn't take the potential threat seriously enough (because they thought it was because of a video)

The Botched Response stuff isn't that interesting to me and not nearly as important as the gently caress up in having them there in the first place. and lol u dumbass they never thought it was a video that's what they wanted you to think.

quote:

"the official story released by the Obama Administration reveals a tragic and unfortunate series of events, but otherwise one that was handled in the best possible way under the circumstances. Since that would absolve Obama of any possible involvement in a scandal, obviously the official story is false"

It's probably not evident to ppl who are so convinced of their righteous infallibility, but lying your rear end off and smearing innocent parties in order to cover your rear end is not "the best possible way under the circumstances" to handle things. And the insistence that it was is the reason this keeps coming back and biting you in the rear end.

lmao i just seriouspoasted in gbs a lot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

cams posted:

But for Benghazi truthers, the scandal is much, much more interesting. There are actually two camps: regular old Benghazi truthers believe that the CIA was arming Syrian rebels out of the Benghazi annex, while the ultra truthers believe the Obama administration colluded with terrorists to stage the kidnapping of Ambassador Chris Stevens in order to set up a prisoner exchange that would made President Obama look like a tough peace negotiator right before the election. Some people with surprisingly solid credentials buy these theories. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul has hinted he's a Benghazi truther, floating the idea that the CIA annex was attacked because it was part of a secret gun-running operation. Retired Admiral James Lyons, who commanded the U.S. Pacific Fleet in the 1980s, is a Benghazi ultra truther. The Atlantic Wire spoke to Lyons to better understand his theory.

I've never actually understood the whole :tinfoil:BENGHAZI:tinfoil: thing but now that you've explained it in your post it's even dumber than I could have imagined

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
but whats benghazi?

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Lascivious Sloth posted:

that's p funny cause he's indistinguishable from bush, who was hated.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Dr Tran posted:

RIP vilerat

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Clemocracy posted:

everytime someone tells me 'liberal media' is a conspiracy and that they are just as hard on Obama I just point to the lol statistic that anti war protests dropped 90% from 2008-2009 despite 0 drawdown .

yeah CNN dropping thier anti war protests was bullshit

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I heard those muslins did it cause they were jealous of vilerats wicked sick dragon tat and also were Raiders fans confir/deny

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If Hillary Clinton said she had no ulterior motive to push her false narrative about a debunked video, then no one died at Benghazi. Why would Hillary lie to people? Hillary/Satan 2016.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm really worried about Benghazi. I think about it every day. It is as much a part of my routine as brushing my teeth.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
He should be mad that 13 embassies were attacked while George W. Bush was president. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/may/12/john-garamendi/prior-benghazi-were-there-13-attacks-embassies-and/ But I guess those don't count because Bush was white and Obama is black.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

You lost Mitt, no need to dwell in the past

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Yaos posted:

He should be mad that 13 embassies were attacked while George W. Bush was president. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/may/12/john-garamendi/prior-benghazi-were-there-13-attacks-embassies-and/ But I guess those don't count because Bush was white and Obama is black.
Bush totally allowed all of them to be overrun and the ambassadors assassinated.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
it was a consulate for gently caress's sake

cams
Mar 28, 2003

kindermord posted:

lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Does anyone have that eve chat log from right before he died?

Call his wife, family? No playing eve

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nooner posted:

Does anyone have that eve chat log from right before he died?

Call his wife, family? No playing eve

I think it was something along the lines of "hold on there's gunfire nearby" and he didn't come back.

I also thought the whole "scandal" or whatever was just incompetence. Like someone called Hillary in the middle of the night and said "uhh these guys out here are getting rowdy," and she said "lol you'll be fine," and went back to sleep.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

A Fancy Bloke posted:

You lost Mitt, no need to dwell in the past

I'm not Mitt but fyi his power crystal is being rejuvenated as we speak with surplus baby chunks from planned parenthood and he will be unstoppable in 2020.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bush totally allowed all of them to be overrun and the ambassadors assassinated.

Not only that he blamed it all on an Amazing Atheist video.

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did Goonswarm kick him out when they found out he died?

• Locked thread