Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

vainman posted:

I don't know anything but I think the real reason the jerseys will never take off is the top guys only fight once or twice a year before blowing out their knee or being bad-all-along and getting cut. That really isn't a lot of opportunities for me, the fan, to support my home team when I go out. Maybe if the shirts were more focused on the home countries or gyms they might be more successful but who knows.

e: oh, Bluedeanie already said this

You both might be right. We really don't know how this sport will be perceived in the future and if fighter kits will cost the same, less, or more in correction to demand. It's just too early to declare an entire business decision's future completely wrong just because a personal preference of not being a customer now. It will be funny, though, if the same people ask their kids or grand kids in the future what they want for Christmas and are told they want a UFC/Reebok fighter jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I wouldn't be surprised if Wahlberg is involved in the Ronda movie. You know the Rock is going to show up too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You're partly correct, but double-Rs are also h-ified, regardless of their location.
http://www.gringoes.com/articles.asp?ID_Noticia=1295

Also, the "regular" r isn't quite regular since they sneak in a d-sound somehow. That article explains it like the 'tt' in Butter (as pronounced by Americans), but I don't quite get that.

I remember in some CoD game the bad guys would just yell PORRA at you all the time, and they'd pronounce it por-ha, not pohha. I guess the r is very muted?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

fatherdog posted:

According to both Reebok and the UFC, all the money from Reebok goes to the fighters and the administration of the deal; it's not going to "the UFC".

Oh I guess an outside third party is administrating the money then, UFC should have fought a little harder on their contract with whoever that is, since they're getting like half da fwiggin money haha.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

fatherdog posted:

According to both Reebok and the UFC, all the money from Reebok goes to the fighters and the administration of the deal; it's not going to "the UFC".

Interesting. I was not aware of that. I had read reports that it was a $60 million deal. Are those just projections of what sales of the gear could be?

The article I was reading seemed to indicate that it was a $60 million check Reebok cut. If that was the case, where did all that money go?

Edit: http://www.cagepotato.com/ufc-reebok-uniform-deal-reportedly-worth-70-million-over-six-years/

This lays it out pretty clearly. The deal was over a 6 year period which is the part I was missing. So, yeah I suppose even if the fighters are getting every cent, it breaks down to less than what they might have been receiving from random lower level sponsors. That sucks.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 3, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

fatherdog posted:

TBH, the actual terms of the deal aren't bad at all (fighters wear reebok gear, fighters get reebok sponsor cash in lieu of their current sponsors, fighters get custom gear that they get a cut of the sales of) the problem is that the actual numbers involved meant most fighters were taking a pay cut. The UFC presumably did some negotiating with Reebok; they either should have negotiated harder or, if it was clear this was the maximum Reebok was willing to give, walked away and left sponsorship at the status quo until Reebok or another clothing company was offering a big enough deal that fighters would be getting money more in line with current sponsorship levels. I think probably the UFC accepted a suboptimal deal because they saw it as another step in their overall direction of legitimizing the sport, which has been a big part of their plan over the last decade.

Yeah, the UFC should have negotiated harder, and judging by their early dismissive comments I think the UFC actually was not aware of how much the fighters were making and therefore they probably did not even really know the value of their exclusive deal, which is really dumb. (Since most of the money is going to fighters, they also didn't have much of an incentive to really do their homework on this either)

As you hinted at, I don't think walking away was an option for the UFC. They were going to get away from the NASCAR-like logo soup on the clothing come hell or high water, because they are likely looking forward to making the sport more marketable when the Fox contract goes back up to bid. ABC/ESPN is likely to be more interested to bid against FOX if the sport looks more professional with clean uniforms.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Trast posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Wahlberg is involved in the Ronda movie. You know the Rock is going to show up too.

Mel Gibson as Edmond, The Rock as Scott Coker, Marky Mark as Nick Diaz

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

1st AD posted:

Mel Gibson as Edmond, The Rock as Scott Coker, Marky Mark as Nick Diaz

In the ultimate irony, Randy Couture as Dana White.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

Bluedeanie posted:

In the ultimate irony, Randy Couture as Dana White.

Hahaha. What's even funnier to me is I could picture Randy lobbying for an audition and convincing the unknowing casting director that he's the perfect fit and then offering the UFC to pay him to drop out of the role.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Kurohashi posted:

Hahaha. What's even funnier to me is I could picture Randy lobbying for an audition and convincing the unknowing casting director that he's the perfect fit and then offering the UFC to pay him to drop out of the role.

That actually does seem like something he would do. :lol:

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

saw on pyf gif thread

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I wanna see this

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-190-mauricio-shogun-rua-quinton-rampage-jackson-accepts-challenge-080315?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Shogun/Rampage II is gonna be even uglier than the Shogun/Nog rematch but it's the best match for either guy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Make the drat masters division already.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I hope this happens and then the UFC signs Arona just in time for that rematch, too.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

Make the drat masters division already.

or just create the Bisping division where everyone who's too old from 170 to 205 gets in line to go to a decision against Bisping. UFC could definitely get 10 years out of that.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

fatherdog posted:

I hope this happens and then the UFC signs Arona just in time for that rematch, too.

For which one in particular? Both totally works too.

Bubba Smith posted:

or just create the Bisping division where everyone who's too old from 170 to 205 gets in line to go to a decision against Bisping. UFC could definitely get 10 years out of that.

While Bisping's body wouldn't last another 3 years of that I agree there'd still be another 7 years of people calling his corpse out and getting him mad over twitter.

Kurohashi fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 3, 2015

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

UFC Pride division. They're too proud to retire and most fought in Pride. It just works.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Bubba Smith posted:

Shogun/Rampage II is gonna be even uglier than the Shogun/Nog rematch but it's the best match for either guy.

I still can't believe Shogun/Nog 2 got FOTN and not the super competitive Bantamweight TUF finals.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
brazilian portugese pronunciation seems very regional. Due to bjj I've really only heard rio style accents but recently I've been on a project with brazilians from a few different areas and they're constantly contradicting each other on how to pronounce things. They even sometimes don't understand each other. Speaking the same language from the same country.

Now that I know this I just kinda shrug and move on when stuff gets pronounced differently.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Northjayhawk posted:

Yeah, the UFC should have negotiated harder, and judging by their early dismissive comments I think the UFC actually was not aware of how much the fighters were making
I am pretty sure the UFC would generally know how much people made, I think its more that they didn't/don't care.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

fatherdog posted:

TBH, the actual terms of the deal aren't bad at all (fighters wear reebok gear, fighters get reebok sponsor cash in lieu of their current sponsors, fighters get custom gear that they get a cut of the sales of) the problem is that the actual numbers involved meant most fighters were taking a pay cut. The UFC presumably did some negotiating with Reebok; they either should have negotiated harder or, if it was clear this was the maximum Reebok was willing to give, walked away and left sponsorship at the status quo until Reebok or another clothing company was offering a big enough deal that fighters would be getting money more in line with current sponsorship levels. I think probably the UFC accepted a suboptimal deal because they saw it as another step in their overall direction of legitimizing the sport, which has been a big part of their plan over the last decade.

You think it's about what's "good for the sport?" I feel it's more like "welfare of the fighters" - at least those outside of the top handful of stars - is priority #1,048 on Dana's list, right after maintaining sufficient supplies of scalp wax, and remembering to wipe the coke crust off his upper lip before going out to talk to Joe on camera.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

what's good for the sport is absolutely what's best for UFC's business since the two are tied together in North America and huge sections of the rest of the world.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Didn't know Pat Cummins was into Mad Max cosplay

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/3/9088923/the-intricacies-of-weight-cutting-with-george-lockhart

Long and detailed article, pretty interesting.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

How are they going to stop fighters from using IVs to rehydrate? Are they going to have a chaperone with fighters the 24 hours after their weigh in? Didn't Aldo already say gently caress you I'm going to do it anyways?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat posted:

I know I'm kinda of late to the party, but when I saw Bethe slump to the floor after all of that trash-talking I immediately thought of the GTA 5 'Wasted' scene.

So, I went and made this!
Ugh. My video got taken down. Not sure why- it isn't even the full fight, and my video was never monetized. Does anyone know what my options are for getting it back up? Because I'm really hesitant about making additional MMA/UFC videos if I have to fight copyright claims the entire time. And the whole thing's confusing since there are fan-made promo vids featuring several minutes worth of fight footage, with no copyright claim issues.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 3, 2015

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

This is an incredible read. Unlike Dolce he's transparent with his information to promote healthier weight cuts and knows that showing you know your science up front will lead to better trust with the clients that want your service due to that. Unlike the marketing maniac that is Dolce whom ends up working with clients that are not good fits for him since you don't know what you get until you've signed the contract with him.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

E: nevermind, b-league.

VVV Michael Bay must direct this epic.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 3, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Trast posted:

Mark Wahlberg will play Miesha Tate, The Rock will play Cat Zingano. Dame Helen Mirren will feature as Bryan Caraway.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

melon cat posted:

Ugh. My video got taken down. Not sure why- it isn't even the full fight, and my video was never monetized. Does anyone know what my options are for getting it back up? Because I'm really hesitant about making additional MMA/UFC videos if I have to fight copyright claims the entire time. And the whole thing's confusing since there are fan-made promo vids featuring several minutes worth of fight footage, with no copyright claim issues.

UFC is ruthless with taking down videos of finishes on recent PPVs. They don't even show the finishes on their own channels, just screenshots. I think they even try to crack down on GIFs.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

eric posted:

How are they going to stop fighters from using IVs to rehydrate? Are they going to have a chaperone with fighters the 24 hours after their weigh in? Didn't Aldo already say gently caress you I'm going to do it anyways?

Someone here also brought up: what will they do if a doctor says an iv is medically necessary? Cancel fights the night before? Because, technically it's always necessary because you're extremely dehydrated but are they really going to cancel high profile fights after a dude hits a minute clinic for saline?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Mark Wahlberg will play Miesha Tate, The Rock will play Cat Zingano. Dame Helen Mirren will feature as Bryan Caraway.

Helen Mirren as Ronda's mom or not buying a ticket.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Trast posted:

Helen Mirren as Ronda's mom or not buying a ticket.

Helen Mirren in every role. Helen Mirren as the Rock in the scene where they cast the movie they're all in.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Myles Jury is moving down to 145. But in actual important news, apparently there's a mass exodus of fighters from Alliance moving to Power MMA?

quote:

Jury will be training full time at Power MMA & Fitness while stating that several of his teammates will also made the same move. UFC lightweight Johnny Case will also join the team at Power MMA & Fitness along with Michael Chandler, Justin Lawrence and Luis Saldana.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lloyd Boner posted:

UFC is ruthless with taking down videos of finishes on recent PPVs. They don't even show the finishes on their own channels, just screenshots. I think they even try to crack down on GIFs.
Wow. That's pretty insane. Now I'm really hesitant to make additional MMA videos, including a few that I've already started. Youtube gives me the option of disputing the claim, but it sounds like doing that may not even be worth it, because if the UFC upholds its takedown notice (and it sounds like they probably will) I'll get a copyright strike.

This sucks.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 3, 2015

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
Going back to shirt discussion, anyone have a picture of that cool Japanese Josh Barnett shirt where he was drawn like a bobble-head doing the throat-slash? Or better yet, but more unlikely, a link to where I can buy it?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
beetlejuice v.o. : its me bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I've had ENOUGH.

We need to send a message to Dana that this is a SPORT, not a snuff film. And that means boycotting UFC until Ronda is gone. She does NOT deserve to be in UFC. Headliners should not be accepting fights against someone who barely has a pulse and loses in seconds. Why the hell are people OK with this? You pay good money to watch a second rate judo player maul fat girls who just figured out where the gym is and you're OK with that?? It's sick. Meanwhile Ronda refuses to fight Cyborg, Budd or Coenen because Dana is afraid she'd lose and he'd lose the only thing in his whole company that makes him money these days. If you don't boycott UFC immediately, you support this crap. /sherdog

• Locked thread