Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Updated the OP.

Hadlock posted:

Whoa. Ok, is FFVI supported by the existing FireTV? Because if so I am going to have to cancel my plans for this three day weekend and pick up about 8 liters of mountain dew and relive being 12 years old again. I never did finish the final boss battle in the SNES edition

Yeah

(but a snes emulator also works :ssh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Wonder if the wifi-direct remote will cause problems with 5ghz wifi like the roku 3/roku stick's remote.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What, no discount for prime members this time? Boooo, Amazon, boooo!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah

(but a snes emulator also works :ssh:)

Oh I thought this was the 3D remake, like they did for Final Fantasy 3 on the DS

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Oh I thought this was the 3D remake, like they did for Final Fantasy 3 on the DS

It kinda is.

http://imgur.com/a/kmjvt

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I don't have a 4k TV so not really worth a buy to upgrade my original firetv

I would like them to fix existing issues with containers and codecs. :long sigh:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well drat. I bought a FireTV and a gaming controller from Amazon like 3 days ago. At least I can return them! Definitely going to preorder the gaming edition.

Also does anyone know if the HDX 8.9 is going to get the new OS? Considering its still their flagship tablet despite the new offerings you'd think so, but Amazon has made some pretty weird calls in the past.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Another thing to note is the new FireTV supports HEVC for 1080p content as well as 4k content. So, there should be an increase in video quality over the old FireTV streaming Prime video even if all you have is a 1080p set.

Nice, yeah this is great. So like what, 15-20% improvement in resolution for 1080p displays?

Also I saw this in a wapo article

wapo posted:

Amazon has also boosted the new Amazon Fire TV’s brain power by a claimed 75% by adding a MediaTek 64-bit quad-core processor and dedicated GPU. This set up rivals the new Apple TV’s 64-bit A8 chip, and Amazon claims it also adds up to five times the processing power of the latest Roku boxes, and eight times the power of Chromecast.

I wonder if Google is going to update their Chromecast at some point? Seems way overdue for an update.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
What the absolute gently caress

quote:

The device specifications page on Amazon’s developer portal states that the USB port on the back of the new Fire TV is for “Accessories Only”, while the USB port on the 1st generation Fire TV is listed as being for “Accessories and storage.” Similarly, the specs for external storage for the new device say “MicroSD up to 128GB”, while the old Fire TV says “USB up to 128GB.” This is pretty damning evidence that you will not be able to connect and access a USB drive with the new Fire TV like you can with the existing Fire TV.

It’s possible Amazon made it so that inserting a microSD card into the new Fire TV will completely replace the /sdcard directory on the device’s internal storage. If that’s the case, it will solve the limitation on the 1st generation Fire TV which prevents some games and apps from being moved entirely to external storage. This would explain not wanting to implement the inferior USB storage system with a better method provided by the new microSD card slot.

http://www.aftvnews.com/usb-port-on-new-fire-tv-for-accessories-only-external-storage-only-through-microsd/

I just bought a goddamn 128 GB USB stick :mad:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hadlock posted:

Nice, yeah this is great. So like what, 15-20% improvement in resolution for 1080p displays?

Not resolution necessarily since that's sort of fixed, but fewer encoding artifacts at lower bitrates. HEVC is something insanely like 40%+ more efficient than h264.

I wonder if Netflix will start serving up HEVC streams for 1080p displays at some point too. It's in their best interest as it will cut bandwidth usage.

quote:

I wonder if Google is going to update their Chromecast at some point? Seems way overdue for an update.

There's been a few grainy leaks over the past few days of something new. I mean, it is overdue for an update, but it does what it does really well too.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

You have lost $30 and learned a valuable lesson.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
I was going to buy a refurb Intel NUC Core i3 to run Kodi/Openelec at my parent's house, but I think the FireTV is probably the better (and cheaper) option.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
I tried using both the amazon utility and adbfire, from windows 8 and windows 10, and followed the advice from earlier in the thread. Amazon Utility just instantly closed the console when clicking the sideload button, adbfire ran through a progress bar and said app installed at the end but I still don't see Kodi anywhere. I've reboot the stick several times as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fourteen posted:

I was going to buy a refurb Intel NUC Core i3 to run Kodi/Openelec at my parent's house, but I think the FireTV is probably the better (and cheaper) option.

The FireTV is the better option simply because it comes ready out of the box (OS preinstalled, Ram, Hard Drive), but more importantly, it comes with a great remote control, preconfigured and ready to go. I really enjoy the fact that I don't have a wireless keyboard and mouse floating around my living room.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Legdiian posted:

You have lost $30 and learned a valuable lesson.

Always bet on Benoz :dukedog:

Crimpanzee posted:

I tried using both the amazon utility and adbfire, from windows 8 and windows 10, and followed the advice from earlier in the thread. Amazon Utility just instantly closed the console when clicking the sideload button, adbfire ran through a progress bar and said app installed at the end but I still don't see Kodi anywhere. I've reboot the stick several times as well.

When Amazon Utility closes that quick, it usually means it isn't connected to your stick. Check your IP, click the connect button again, and (at the bottom) it should say connected to [whatever ip]

After you sideload it, you can find Kodi under Settings -> Applications -> Manage Installed Applications

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 19, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the new fire tv's audio thing work with a old fire tv?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Abu Dave posted:

Does the new fire tv's audio thing work with a old fire tv?

What do you mean? The voice remote?

Maybe when the new OS launches. I remember reading something about Fire OS 5 preview setting up its own wifi hotspot for remotes/controller.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I meant the new game controler with the audio jack, the answer to my question is no though unfortunately. Only works with the new Fire TV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
AFTV ran an article saying that Alexa will have visual cards for music/audible/lists/sports/weather/traffic/questions/wikipedia but you'll still be able to do everything the echo does including skills (just audio only)

http://www.aftvnews.com/some-of-the-things-youll-be-able-to-do-with-alexa-on-the-fire-tv/#more-9470

And I read that some time in the future, we'll be able to launch apps via Alexa.

Abu Dave posted:

I meant the new game controler with the audio jack, the answer to my question is no though unfortunately. Only works with the new Fire TV.

That's really weird. I thought it would have been a software thing.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 24, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new Fire TVs should start shipping today for delivery on the 5th. Certain Best Buys already have them out on the shelves.

Other news:

- Digital Trends posted a review of the new Fire TV
- Tivo is launching a Fire TV app next week.
- OlliOlli 2 was released. $14.99
- A nice technical article on porting Shovel Knight to the Fire TV

If you can think of anything else I should put in the OP, please tell me.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 3, 2015

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I'm hoping the deal for $50 Best Buy credit after pre-paying for 3 months of Sling TV service works on the new Fire TV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Still waiting for UPS to show up with my Gaming Edition. I'll post a trip report a few hours later.

And Twitch updated their app.

quote:

Amazon friends, we’ve got a awesome news to share with you. Starting today, you’ll be able to download a newer, shinier, fuller version of the Twitch app on the latest Amazon Fire TV devices.

Landing-Signed

Our app update gives you a more personal viewing experience on the new Amazon Fire TV, including the ability to login and follow content you love, an integrated chat experience and improved search. Here’s the full breakdown of features you can expect:

- View live and recorded video of top games, players & esports events.
- Follow channels and games you want to keep tabs on.
- Use our unique emote selector to easily interact with other viewers in chat.
- New profile pages to learn about broadcasters you’re interested, including the ability to check out their VODs.
- Hi-res video (1080p) support for new Fire TV devices.

http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/10/announcing-our-new-fire-tv-app/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 5, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got mine. I'm at work though until this evening so I won't be able to play with it until later.

One thing I just discovered though. I just got a new TiVo Bolt which has Amazon support. To my delight, I noticed it will output native 24fps content from Amazon Instant. I just looked up that same info for the fireTV and it turns out that it currently can't support 24fps output (apparently it's an experimental feature in FireTV OS 5).

So, that kinda takes the wind out of my new FireTV delivery when a not-amazon device has better support of Amazon's own streaming service.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone get a newer FireTV yet? A few people on the subreddit seem to be reporting its local ADB is disabled. Do these ship with FireOS 5?

I blocked updates on my router until we get some confirmation that Firestarter can continue to function.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone get a newer FireTV yet? A few people on the subreddit seem to be reporting its local ADB is disabled. Do these ship with FireOS 5?

I blocked updates on my router until we get some confirmation that Firestarter can continue to function.

From what I read, they ship with FireOS 5. You can still sideload stuff. Firestarter's still broken due to an issue with ADB.

(him on the developer preview)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135/post62463523#post62463523
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135/post62479186#post62479186

sphinx02's an active developer though so I'm sure he'll figure out a solution once he gets the official build.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 5, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Still waiting for UPS to show up with my Gaming Edition. I'll post a trip report a few hours later.

And Twitch updated their app.

http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/10/announcing-our-new-fire-tv-app/

Thank god, that app has been awful. Hopefully they also fixed the problem where ads just dump you back to the index.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Gaming edition trip report.

- I doubt anybody cares about the box but when you first open it, it's the controller on top. Then the Fire TV. Then the accessories. The microsd card was just thrown in. No packaging besides the case. No special markings for the 'Fire TV edition' or whatever they're trying to pedal on the site.
- Controller feels nice. Lighter than the 360 controller (I guess because it doesn't have rumble) but it also feels looser. Triggers don't press in as much.
- Turning it on. It defaulted to German. But it immediately saw my controller when I put the batteries in and the next screen let me pick my language. Put in my wifi code.
- Software updates right out of the box! It rebooted once, tricked me into thinking it was done and returned me to another 'installing the latest software' screen that said 'This will take approximately 10 minutes to complete'. Which must have been referencing the entire process because it only took like three minutes to finish.
- It decided to update my controller firmware as the welcome video was playing.
- It's running Fire OS 5 out of the box.
- The white light on the front only lights up when you hit a button.
- It was able to correctly figure out my timezone and location.
- Alexa also talks to you the same way it does on the Echo while popping up display information. Voice search seems alot speedier.
- Alexa can't set a timer or alarm on the Fire TV.
- Here's a weird thing. When you trigger music through the voice search, it exits out of playback when you press back. So no multitasking through Alexa opened music.
- I had a weird issue where it wouldn't play music from the normal music section. It cleared up after I finished installing my apps and restarted the box twice.
- Downloading multiple apps to microSD card seems to cause performance issues. Or it could have been the box trying to pull all my Amazon cloud crap at the same time. Not sure.
- Prime stations support is in.
- Tablet Games on Fire TV category was removed so I imagine there's going to be alot of confused people wondering why Candy Crush isn't behaving like a normal game with a controller.
- MicroSD card seems to behave the same way as USB storage.
- Not every game that worked on the original Fire TV works on the new one. All the GTA games are MIA. None of them are showing up in my library or through search. Same with Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. XCOM. Modern Combat 4. NBA 2K15.
- No issue sideloading apps. It's the same process.
- No issues with Kodi. Every time you open Kodi from scratch, a giant mute symbol is in the corner. It seems to be some issue with the included game controller. The current workaround (that I know of) is plugging in a USB keyboard, hitting the + button until it's at 100% and than not exiting Kodi via Quit. Hit the home button and it won't actually hard quit.
- The USB drive doesn't behave the the same way. No notification when you plug in. No listing in the settings. No way to install media to it. And even stranger, it's listed as a SD card in ES File Manager. Mine's named usbotg. So if you cloned your Kodi installation, like me, you'll have to rescan your media from the new location.
- Firestarter kinda works. :siren: Startup application and Home Button Single Click Application still work :siren: So you can set Firestarter to the Home Button Single Click Application and easily access Kodi/the normal home screen without digging in the settings. Double tap home is broken. When you do that, it opens but the screen doesn't stop flashing.
- I played the first level of Shovel Knight and the controller felt good. No screw ups that made me blame the controller.

I'll post more tomorrow about emulators.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 6, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's the walkthrough I wrote up for Reddit about Firestarter.

- Sideload Firestarter. You can find the APK at http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135
- Open it. Scroll to Settings. Under Background Observation. Startup Application -> None. Home Button Single Click Application -> Firestarter. Home Button Double Click Application -> None.
- At this point, it should be throwing a ton of errors. What you need to do to make it stop is go FireTV Settings -> System -> Developer options and toggle ADB debugging off and back on.
- Now hit the home button. This will bring you to back to the Firestarter app launcher. I move Kodi right underneath FireTV Home so I can easily get to it. You can move apps around by highlighting them and holding the select button.
- You can also hide apps you don't want to see by going into the settings in Firestarter. Under App Listing Settings. Select Hidden Apps. Click whatever apps you don't want to show up in the Apps section of Firestarter.
- If you want to push files via ADB again, you have to force stop Firestarter first.

There you go. Now you can easily get to Kodi and Amazon's normal home page without digging around in the settings.

And Amazon is going to fix the 5.1 issue with Neflix by October 22nd.

quote:

"Thanks for the feedback on Dolby surround sound and Netflix. We have identified the issue and will be releasing a software update to resolve it. We expect all devices to be updated by October 22nd. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused."

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 7, 2015

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
New FireTv currently priced at $80, so if you paid full price get your price adjustment ASAP.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

shoplifter posted:

New FireTv currently priced at $80, so if you paid full price get your price adjustment ASAP.

Looks like Slickdeals posted that it's $60 for students today only.

Edit: I have the previous generation FireTV, and while I'm always tempted with new technology, I can't see any major upgrades moving to the newer model just for KODI use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

shoplifter posted:

Contacted and got the refund processed, I guess this is their response to the Roku 4.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Anyone having issues with their Gen 2 Fire TV freezing, random restarts, etc? Mine will do this while playing shovel knight, hbo go, sitting on the home screen, etc A few times I've had to simply unplug the power to it.

I wasn't sure if it was just 1st day bugs or if mine is just a lemon.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

shoplifter posted:

It shows up as $99.99 for me on amazon?

edit: it's gonna go out of stock any second, it said 19 in stock before I posted, now it's 7

edit2: In stock on October 19, 2015.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

PuTTY riot posted:

It shows up as $99.99 for me on amazon?

edit: it's gonna go out of stock any second, it said 19 in stock before I posted, now it's 7

edit2: In stock on October 19, 2015.

It dropped to $80 and then for a few short moments student prime let you buy it for $60. The base price was moved back to $100 but the Student Prime deal still dropped it to $80 in checkout.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sperg Victorious posted:

Anyone having issues with their Gen 2 Fire TV freezing, random restarts, etc? Mine will do this while playing shovel knight, hbo go, sitting on the home screen, etc A few times I've had to simply unplug the power to it.

I wasn't sure if it was just 1st day bugs or if mine is just a lemon.

Reviews are hammering it pretty hard right now, so it may not just be you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I finally got around to hooking up my fireTV and I can't use it apparently.

I have an HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver, but I only have a 1080p TV (and thus, no HDCP 2.2 support). The thing won't even boot, it gives me an error screen about my TV not supporting HDCP 2.2. So, apparently the FireTV tries to use HDCP 2.2 if it detects something in the chain that supports it (whether or not content itself is HDCP 2.2) and since I have an HDCP 2.2 supporting receiver but not an HDCP 2.2 supporting TV, the FireTV refuses to work.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What receiver is it? Some of them only have specific HDCP 2.2 inputs, can't you just swap it something else? That seems bizarre you would be locked out, in theory it should only stop you from watching 4k content.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

What receiver is it? Some of them only have specific HDCP 2.2 inputs, can't you just swap it something else? That seems bizarre you would be locked out, in theory it should only stop you from watching 4k content.

It's a 3 month old Denon X2200W. All ports are HDCP 2.2 compliant.

I have a Sony W900A TV, so only 1080p and no HDCP 2.2 compliance.

I can't even get to the setup, as soon as it boots I get this.

So, it apparently sees that the receiver is HDCP 2.2 compliant and goes "Oh, hey, something that's compliant, let's handshake away" and then it hits the TV and errors out. So, the FireTV must handshake HDCP 2.2 if the connection supports it regardless of what content it shows.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Reviews are hammering it pretty hard right now, so it may not just be you.

I see them now, I guess I'll just wait a few weeks and see if there are some updates to clear them up. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok, after completing the setup, updating, and then forcing the resolution to 1080p60 while connected directly to the TV, it seems I can have it connected to my receiver now without issues. Restarted the fireTV to be sure and it seems fine for the moment.

• Locked thread