Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

5: August of Icy Fail-Wind

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it? 724,000 and change

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk

where are the previous months April, May June July

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for at least a year, but if it's working for people there's no reason it couldn't go on longer

but august is summer why would it be icy south hemisphere best hemisphere, eat a dicksicle northie

oh you mean a dick-shaped ice-oooooooock? shut up

Long Walk 5: August of Icy Fail-Wind

Capntastic: 6k WHOA NEARLY DIDN'T MAKE IT BUT THEN MADE IT YAY!
Broenheim: 5k (and one submission) BROTASTIC! MADE IT!
sitting here 14k SITTING THERE W/ SMUG EXPRESSION ON HER DIAL B/C MADE IT!
painted bird 10k (5k by 15 Aug) :siren: FAILED :siren:
smeedoof: 20k NOTHING BAD ABOUT THIS SEAFOOD UNLESS BY BAD YOU MEAN MADE AND BY SEAFOOD YOU MEAN IT!
kurona)bright: 9k, 4 by 20.8 AWWWW JEAH IT'S TIME FOR THE BREAKDOWN COZ YOU MAAADE IT
marty: 75k :siren: FAILED :siren:
theblunderbuss: 4k BLAMMO BLAMMO, RIGHT IN THE loving MADE IT!
grizpat: 5k OLD IN NAME BUT YOUNG IN MAKING IT! WOOHOO!
jonked: 16k half by aug 16 YOU JONKED AT MY HEART UNTIL IT CAME RIGHT OUT! MADE IT!
neth: 10k STRONG BLACK PROUD AND MADE IT!
ironic twist: 4k, 25 subs NOTHING IRONIC ABOUT THIS TWIST WHICH IS THAT THERE IS NO TWIST BECAUSE YOU MADE IT!

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X3)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

6k words. At least one submission. :toxx:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
5k non thunderdome words :toxx:

edit: also per sebmojo's error, i will submit something as well

double edit: the submission is also a :toxx:

flerp fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 8, 2015

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Taking it easy this month. A mellow 14K :toxx:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
10k words, 5k by August 15. :toxx:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Bad Seafood posted:

Put me down for 20k again. Furthermore, I must give weekly progress reports every Friday. There is no benchmark I am required to hit for these progress reports, but if I wrote nothing (or absurdly little) then I should have to come in here and say "I wrote nothing this week" and own up to my shame.
:toxx:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I'm going to go for 9000 original words this month, with 4000 words by the 20th. :toxx:

This is going to be fun. :v:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
16,000 words by the end of August, with at least 8,000 words before August 16th

:toxx: that mother trucker.

August 16th Goal: 2331/8000

Jonked fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 6, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This is my last hectic month, so keeping it light again. :toxx: for another 5k and 5 submissions to paying markets.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
75k on the novel by the end of the month :toxx:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
The following is still in effect:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Carrot: Custom Avatar gift certificate for anyone registered in this thread by (month) 15 who finishes their novel (draft ok) or submits a short. Must also make your :toxx: obviously.

gift certificates are transferable (i.e. if you win one but like your avatar, you can give it to someone else)

theblunderbuss
Jul 4, 2010

I find dead men rout
more easily.
Gonna get my feet wet in here with 4k this month. Ideally to be submitted somewhere, but I should probably just try not to write complete poo poo first. :toxx:

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

I know it's the 4th and I've missed like, 3 days of word babble but this month I had better write a K a buck.

10K by end of the month on the YA Historical fic I started last month, I'd better get on that bitch

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
:toxx: for a ~2K story on the 20th and another ~2K story by the end of the month, 4000 words or more in total.

Also, :toxx: to send at least 25 submissions out to different literary magazines by the end of the month. Submissions, not 25 different stories.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

Submissions, not 25 different stories.

Are you sending out the same story to different places? What's the etiquette on that if two places bite?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Capntastic posted:

Are you sending out the same story to different places? What's the etiquette on that if two places bite?

Many literary magazines accept simultaneous submissions, and if one of them accepts you just withdraw from the others.

E: letting them know why, of course.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

Many literary magazines accept simultaneous submissions, and if one of them accepts you just withdraw from the others.

E: letting them know why, of course.

Ah, I am used to seeing "no simultaneous submissions please" and assumed it was pretty verboten to dick a place over after they read your poo poo and decided to like it enough to pay you.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

:toxx: for a ~2K story on the 20th and another ~2K story by the end of the month, 4000 words or more in total.

Also, :toxx: to send at least 25 submissions out to different literary magazines by the end of the month. Submissions, not 25 different stories.

You're nuts and i love it, I'll add 5 subs to my :toxx: because im a friggin babby

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A measly 756 words so far. Not even gonna try to make an excuse for this. All I can do is do better.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Started with 6595. Needed 16595 to make the 10k.

Success.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Somewhere around 3~4k this week but I lost a bunch of them so I'll have to make them up.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bad Seafood posted:

Somewhere around 3~4k this week but I lost a bunch of them so I'll have to make them up.

lol do you not back your poo poo up on Dropbox or better yet just use Google Docs

i thought better of you seadoof

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This is the first time I've ever made this mistake.

I already made up the difference writing yesterday. Saved it this time as well.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Story for 8/20:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-O8J2UIfzRMMBDLCzzwDpa8QDEF0o9dDscq5NoLt-Is/edit?usp=sharing

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I hate my past self at this moment. Here's my intermediate goal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

5523 words but with a real good rhythm to them. I expect to break 10k over the weekend.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

9086 words.

Gotta get crackin'.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Holy poo poo gently caress this past week. This whole month I had nothing to write about and for the past few days I've been fulfilling all the :toxx:es I threw out because I'm an idiot and there's no loving way I'm getting banned because I can't put words on a page. I'm only getting banned for blatantly going against rules!

Anyways, here my stories. The first one is a rewrite of a Thunderdome story that won but I absolutely hate. I still hate it, but maybe hopefully it's better (spoiler: it's not). I went for a bit of a voice exercise in this, though I got kinda bored at the end and it kinda just stopped. Oh well. 1836 words

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19KOucfa3H1s5j2goGju1YecxvrLoPc7zmrcMGN7rwqA/edit?usp=sharing

Next up is this. I like the title. That's about it. Went for a super dialogue heavy thing that just went on forever but I think there's some ideas in here that can be mined and maybe be used to make a good story one day. I just kinda kept writing so I'd get this over with. 3057 words

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R-mQXLf0mkMfXuofjBMUaTa_GzEvyGVupUgwTiF5zyQ/edit?usp=sharing

And finally we get to something I kind of actually am happy with. I took some ideas from sin week's Thunderdome, but went in a completely different way (no sloths sadly). I went for a shorter, simple piece that does a lot of things that I'm good at while also going for a different tone, especially the ending. I think it worked out fairly well? Who knows, we'll have to see. This is also what I submitted to fulfill that toxx. Turned to be only 806 words when I expected it being much longer.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1snE_a2DtynqaLnp23erVVEDHBn2FMAx45HURoYB76qw/edit?usp=sharing

Also, here’s my proof of submission (I submitted to like three other ones too)

Shout outs to Sitting Here for giving me a little crit of what I submitted. Oh yeah also a thanks to Grizzled Patriarch for tipping me off to the Submission Grinder. You two are pretty cool. Overall, 5699 words have been written this month. So there, I’m done. gently caress.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Will be out of state until the 2nd and I will post my stuff ASAP so please don't murder me for being a day late thanks in advance

theblunderbuss
Jul 4, 2010

I find dead men rout
more easily.
Well, this month wasn't going too bad until I managed to gently caress my hip up enough to stop me sitting down for a fortnight. Just about managed to vomit out enough words to save myself the ban. Nothing remotely submittable, of course.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Capntastic posted:

Will be out of state until the 2nd and I will post my stuff ASAP so please don't murder me for being a day late thanks in advance

OK. As a general note I'm pretty chill about exact dates in this thread, but that's about the limit of my chillness to have the deadline still be meaningful.

Also be aware anyone can call in a toxx.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

8,882 Words for the month, which is 5,176 after subtracting Dome stuff.

And my 5 subs:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

16k, although a lot less of that is going towards my novel than I'd like. I've gotten bored with it, and side tracked by other projects. ALSO! I didn't write half the words before halfway through the month. If somebody thinks that's part of my toxx, and wants to rat me out... well, I guess I can't really stop you.

I think for September I'll do 20k words, and aim to have at least half of that go towards the novel.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
a 1900 word story, plus about 400 unrelated words at the bottom: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vs51yaH8eIuSs6J4ThXQppxiMtm14ai9tNZaTt_FpqM/edit?usp=sharing

Also, my subs: http://tinypic.com/r/o8yo9l/8 That's 21, the other 4 I did through email, and I can PM them if required.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I'm done.

Why are the last five hundred words the hardest to write.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Done.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm finishing up reading fro TD judging, will post my poo poo in a bit. but rest assured, it's done.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
This week is a big mess of different stuff.

I wrote 12K on my dumb side project that's quickly turning into an all-consuming vanity project. Starting count was 8050, current count is 20059

Plus another 1.7K on another thing that probably won't ever see the light of day

Aaaaaand a short piece of flash fiction for some project some goon is doing, about 730 words, which puts me a few hundred words over my 14K goal

On top of that, I sent out five submissions. I don't feel like screencapping anymore poo poo, but i can prove it if need be. I already got a positive rejection back from one mag, here's hoping the other rejections are as nice!

PROOOOMPT

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

And that's it for august! painted bird and Martello failed, painted bird for the third goddam time! capntastic is gettting.... oooh.... 19 more hours before his toxx gets called in! everyone else made it! see you in LONG WALK 6: REMEMBER THIS SEPTEMBER TO SET YOUR CLOCK TO MIDNIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
yeah i'm like why aren't i banned already, sheesh

• Locked thread