Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The place, New Orleans.
The time, 1935.
The history, not our own.

Whoever said New Orleans was "The Big Easy" was a liar. With the Depression in tow, things are tough all over. Honest work's hard to get, and even dishonest work is scarce. Only thing that seems to be in supply is trouble. And even if you manage to avoid the crooked cops, thugs, street crazies and made men, if you can believe the scuttlebutt, things are even worse.

Some say there are things that go bump - and go killing - in the night.

But if that's the case, odds are someone's going to try to bump 'em back. And some folks seem to bump pretty drat hard. From roughnecks to reporters, from dames to joes, lawyers, sax players, people from both sides of the law, even (if you believe the stories) people who can tap into something strange: Grifters who can channel their personal vices into personal magic. Crazed Patent Scientists whose inventions (provided they don't explode) seem to defy the laws of science. They say some Voodooists walking around aren't just for show, they really got the know. Faith may be in low supply, but there are still a few people Blessed by a higher power. The weird stories about secret psychic soldiers may not be so out there as you'd think. And some even say...some even say some people are too drat tough to die, and come right back up from the grave.

Someone's gotta do something. Why not you?

I'm going to run a one-shot session of Deadlands Noir. This is an adventure, primarily pointed at new people to the Savage Worlds ruleset (but fans and anyone who played my prior games are welcome). To play, you need a copy of Savage Worlds Deluxe (the most current rules) and a copy of Deadlands Noir. If you don't have them, find me on #badwrongfun or shoot me a message, I can talk you through the basics. In fact, I'm linking to free quick versions of the rules and setting below.

Resources:
Savage Worlds Test Drive - a quickie summary of the rules.
The Deadlands Noir Companion Player's Guide a summary of some of the backstory of Deadlands Noir, and two Arcane Backgrounds - the Blessed and the Psyker.
Pre-Made Characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
I'm definitely interested, and haven't played as much of Savage World as I'd like. Edit: Character should now be complete.

Name:
Louis Broussard

Background:
The rules for cops are clear. Grift is expected and accepted, but you can't make waves. Shake down a street vendor for a few dollars, you're fine. But smack down a man who's tuning up his wife, and you're in trouble. At least when that man's the nephew of the mayor and connected to "influential people." Suddenly, every dollar you've ever received under the table, every morphine phial you looked the other way for, every favor you did while moonlighting, they dig all of it up and hit you with it.

Just like that, Louis was out. Service in Europe during the war, a solid arrest record, none of it mattered. In his 40s and dead broke, he was adrift and had only a lackluster Private Investigation gig to try and survive by. When there's a crime in his neighborhood, his former colleagues will drag him in for questioning just to harass him, but his pride won't let him leave. This is his city, he made his life here after the war, and he's not going to be run out. To avoid the stigma of his name, his agency is named "Doe Investigations" and claims a Johnathan Doe as its owner, but make no mistake it's just Louis and it's his last, best hope at making his way in the Big Easy.

Attributes:
Agility d8 (1 Point + Major Hindrance)
Smarts d6 (1 Point)
Spirit d8 (2 Points)
Strength d4
Vigor d6 (1 Point)

Skills:
Driving d4 (1 Point)
Fighting d6 (2 Points)
Intimidation d8 (3 Points)
Investigation (2 Points)
Notice d6 (2 Points)
Persuasion d4 (1 Point)
Shooting d8 (3 Points)
Streetwise d4 (1 Points)

Derived Stats:
Charisma 0
Pace 6
Parry 5
Toughness 6

Hindrances:
Poverty (Setting Default)
Enemy (Major) - Mayor's Nephew, name TBD
Stubborn (Minor)
Short Temper (Minor)

Edges:
Hard (Human Edge)
Sleuth (Bought with 2 Points)

Gear:

Cash on Hand $11

Boots, 3 lbs, $5
Hat, $3
Overcoat, 3 lbs, $15
Pants, 1 lbs, $2.50
Shirt, 1 lbs, $2.50

Bullets (Box of 100, Pistol), 2 lbs, $1.50
Flashlight, 2 lbs, $1
Lighter, $1
Shoulder Holster, $2.50
Wristwatch, $5

S&W DA (.38), 2 lbs, $25, Range 12/24/48, 2d6, RoF 1, 6 Shots

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 3, 2015

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Byers: So far, charsheet looks good. Just a reminder, the Poverty Hindrance players get in Noir doesn't count for total Hindrances, so if you wanted to take a Major Hindrance for more points, feel free.

Speaking of which, for any other players, when making your charsheets, note where you spent your points. It helps me calculate values and see if you over or under spent points.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Dedman Walkin posted:

Byers: So far, charsheet looks good. Just a reminder, the Poverty Hindrance players get in Noir doesn't count for total Hindrances, so if you wanted to take a Major Hindrance for more points, feel free.

Speaking of which, for any other players, when making your charsheets, note where you spent your points. It helps me calculate values and see if you over or under spent points.

I'm considering it, definitely, I put the two Minors out because it defined the character. Why'd he slap up the Mayor's nephew? Short fuse. Why's he still in the city? Stubborn. It just fit.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm new to Deadlands and SW, been looking for a pulpy game to spend some time on!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lets try this again yeah!

Name:
Raymond Deville (pregen)

Background:
Ray was a prize fighter—actually more of a stepping stone for better fighters. Still, he wouldn’t take
a dive to save his life…literally. The Black Hand put a bullet in him after he won the wrong fight. Just
like in the ring, he didn’t stay down. Now Ray does muscle work to make the rent, but one day he’ll
find the mook who plugged him…

Attributes:
Agility d6
Smarts d6
Spirit d6
Strength d8
Vigor d8

Skills:
Driving d4
Fighting d8
Intimidation d6
Lockpicking d4
Notice d6
Shooting d6
Streetwise d6
Stealth d4

Derived Stats:
Charisma 0
Pace 6
Parry 6
Toughness 6

Hindrances:
• Poverty: Times are tough all over.
• Code of Honor: Ray brought his ethics back from the grave with him.
• Loyal: He never abandons a friend in need.
• Vengeful (Minor): Ray avenges any wrong against himself or his friends.

Edges:
• Harrowed: Ray saw the inside of a coffin once. He still doesn’t really understand what’s going on
but he’s slowly figuring it out. +2 to Fear tests, immune to normal Fatigue, can only be killed by a
head shot.
• Cat Eyes: +2 to visual Notice rolls, no modifiers for Dim or Dark lighting.

Gear:

Used lockpicks, trench knife, Luger pistol with 1 spare magazine and 100 extra rounds, $13.50.

Cash on Hand $13.50

pre:
			Weapon Stats
Weapon 			Range 		RoF	Damage	AP 	Wt 	Notes
Luger (9mm)		12/24/48 	1 	2d6 	— 	3 	Shots 8, Semi-Auto
Trench Knife 		— 		— 	Str+d4 	1 	1 	Includes brass knuckles*
 *Brass Knuckles	— 		— 	Str+d4 	— 	— 	Can do nonlethal damage at no
									attack penalty

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Hmm. Highly interested here. I'm tempted to play a more heroic version of my namesake in the book (that handsome devil on page 114).

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Name:
Duke Coleman

Background:
Duke lived simple on the outskirts of the Big Easy. He was born in the house where his daddy was born, and his granddaddy, and his granddaddy before him, and he sailed the same dilapidated shrimper his daddy sailed, and his granddaddy, and you get the idea. As soon as he was walkin' he was learning to man the shrimper. Shrimpin' was all that was on little Duke's mind until one day his mama took him to a concert (shrimping wasn't an easy way to pay bills) where he saw a man with the strangest name, "jelly roll". This jelly roll's music was sweeter than any real jelly rolls he ever tried. Jelly Roll became Duke's idol, he listened to him whenever and wherever he could. At dinner that was the only thing he thought about, on the shrimper as well, and even while he was asleep. On his twelfth birthday daddy told him he was a real man now, and the "first mate" of the old rust bucket, but mama got him something he still keeps with him to this day, his first saxophone.It was a beat up, old hand me down practice instrument, not that his instruments have gotten better since. Through his childhood he played from the sun's rise to sun's set, the neighborhood kids would gather around and dance and frolic to his music every day. Now he tours the Big Easy, looking for a better life for him and his family, bogged down in tradition.

Attributes:
Agility d6 (1 point)
Smarts d8 (2 points)
Spirit d6 (1 point)
Strength d4
Vigor d6 (1 point)

Skills:
Agility: Driving d4 (1 point)
Spirit: Persuasion d8 (3 points)
Persuasion: Streetwise d6 (2 points)
Agility: Swimming d6 (2 point)
Agility: Boating d8 (3 points)
Spirit: Perform (Sax) d8 (3 points)
Agility: Fighting d4 (1 point)

Derived Stats:
Charisma: 2
Pace: 8
Parry: 4
Toughness: 5

Hindrances:
Poverty (Default)
Pacifist (Minor): Will only fight in self defense
Clueless (Major): -2 to most Common Knowledge Rolls

Edges:
Attractive (Novice): Charisma +2
Fleet-Footed (Novice): +2 Pace, d10 running die instead of d6

Gear:
Sweater ($3)
Used Slacks ($2)
Worn Loafers ($4)
$19.00 cash
Lighter ($1)
Pack of Cigarettes ($1.20)
Old Saxophone ($30)
Wallet ($2)
Motelroom Keys
Lucky Anchor Keychain ($0.25)

Unstoppabro fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 5, 2015

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I'd be interested, assuming there's room left. Maybe an alcohol-based Grifter? I assume we're starting at Novice, would Veteran of the Concrete Jungle be available?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Name:
Dr. John Beattie

Background:
Dr. Beattie was a talented surgeon who went to school up North at Harvard. He and his wife Alice came down to the Big Easy to be closer to Alice's family. However, a car accident killed Alice and left Beattie nearly crippled. In his grief, he began to study all the latest advances in medicine, everything from the great universities to two-bit patent scientists selling snake oil. He began to experiment, eventually healing himself. He was obsessed with healing the kind of injuries that had taken his wife from him. He still talks about her as though she were still there talking to him.

At night, he somestimes wanders graveyards, accident sites, and the odd city morgue, looking for... something. Even he isn''t quite sure yet. But there's something calling to him. Something that needs him, needs his help.

Despite that, he still takes patients. His practice isn't quite what it was, but there are plenty of people willing to overlook a bit of eccentricity for decently-priced medicine. His clientele is a bit seedier, but he gets by. HIs wife's cousin Helen and her husband Arthur check in on him periodically, worried about his strange behavior.

Attributes:
Agility d6 (1 points)
Smarts d10 (3 points)
Spirit d6 (1 point)
Strength d4
Vigor d4

Skills:
Fighting d4 (Agility, 1 point)
Healing d10 (Smarts, 4 points)
Notice d4 (Smarts, 1 point)
Repair d8 (Smarts, 3 points)
Taunt d6 (Smarts, 2 points)
Weird Science d10 (Smarts, 4 points)

Derived Stats:
Charisma: 0
Pace: 6
Parry: 4
Toughness: 4

Hindrances:
Dark Secret (Major)
Lyin' Eyes (Minor)
Vow (Hippocratic Oath, Minor)
Delusion (His wife's ghost is haunting him, Major)

Edges:
Comfortable (Novice)
Arcane Background: Patent Science (Novice, bought with hindrances)
New Power: Boost/Lower Trait (Novice, bought with hindrances)

Powers:
Healing (Dr. Beattie's patented healing salve)
Boost/Lower Trait (Dr. Beattie's Invigorating/Debilitating Radium Rays)

Gear:
Overcoat ($15)
Doctor's Bag ($20)
Apartment (Average, $50)
Repair Kit ($10)
Wristwatch ($5)
Mauser M1896 ($25)
Knife ($1)
Bullets ($1.50)
$22.50 in cash

JackMann fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 4, 2015

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm interested. How long are you keeping the recruit open for?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I figure until I get at least 6 or so players.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry Allen
This is Harry as a Novice character. If the Veteran edge is allowed I'll consider taking it and rewriting this a bit.

Background
While not necessarily a bad fellow at heart, Harry was never one for following the rules and spent much of his youth in the city of Memphis well-known to the local police. At the age of 15 Prohibition came into fashion in the North and Harry decided to join up with a few entrepreneurial "friends", ditch his parents and make his fortune in the bootlegging trade. Unfortunately, the rum-running trade along the Mississippi was quickly dominated by organized crime and Harry didn't like getting pushed around by the mob any more than he liked being pushed around by the police. Rather than join up he headed east and make his living driving back and forth across the Mason-Dixie selling hooch.

It was during this time that he learned the art of Grifting. Harry ran into a homeless sot named Dirk and, being in a generous mood, shared a flask with the fellow. After being loosened up the man offered to teach Harry the art of Grifting in exchange for a regular supply of drink. Of course Harry wasn't a believer in magic but the drunk quickly changed that when he lifted the lad into the air with a wave of his hand. For the next couple of years Harry continued running rum, learning magic and evading the law. Unfortunately 1932 was a bad year for Harry: Dirk finally drunk himself to death (or more accurately stumbled in front of a speeding car) and an unfortunate double-whammy of a flat tire and a jammed gun got Harry caught with his hooch in Union territory. Fortunately, by then he'd mastered his magical powers and managed to blast his way out of jail. He headed south to wait for the heat to die down and then the blasted Union went and abolished Prohibition! Now he's found himself hanging out in New Orleans, low on money but unwilling to get a proper job or sign up with the mob...hopefully something will come along.

Attributes
Agility d6
Smarts d8
Spirit d6
Strength d4
Vigor d6

Skills
Driving d8
Fighting d4
Lockpicking d4
Notice d4
Shooting d4
Streetwise d8
Spellcasting d10

Hindrances
Rebellious
Wanted
Overconfident

Edges
Arcane Background (Grifter)
Hedonist
Liquid Courage

Powers
Burst (Firewater: taking a swig and turning whatever he drinks into hyper-concentrated alcohol which he breathes out in a blast of flame)
Deflection (Lucky Shot: attracts all attacks to his hip flask, which is also magically reinforced to endure the attack).
Confusion (Woozy: temporarily makes victim drunk)

Gear
(Used) Sawed off Double-Barrel (20$)
Knife (1$)
Shoes, Coat, Shirt, Pants, Hat (25$)
100 bullets (1.50$)
20$ worth of cheap booze.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 5, 2015

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Would hotwiring a car fall under Repair or Lockpicking? I figure it's not likely I'll get my hands on a car honestly...

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Looking over charsheets, here are my thoughts:

Byers2142 - We already talked in chat, your "John Doe" is good to go.

One thing I should point out, since so many people are buying clothes - you do start out with clothing, so don't feel you need to buy clothes to not start out naked on the streets.

Ryuujin - Usin' pregen Ray, no prob.

Unstoppabro - Deadlands Noir doesn't use the Guts skill. For scary scenes, you roll a straight Spirit roll. You can put those two skill points elsewhere. Since Duke is a sax player, I'll make a suggestion. Noir introduces a new skill: Perform. It's spirit based, and you have to pick a specialization when you pick it (like the Knowledge skill), like Perform (Piano) or (Singing) or, if you think Duke is up for it (Sax). Besides using it to play, once a week you can try to perform at a joint to make some scratch. Granted, might not be feasible for a one-shot, but you'll never know if info-hunting leads to a club.

JackMann - You only get counted Hindrance points for one Major and two Minor Hindrances. You can keep 'em both for flavor, (and since you PM'd me the Doc's Dark Secret - yeah, if this was a longer running game that would lead to fun and shenanigans), but you only get 4 points max. Nevermind, I forgot the Delusion is from your Patent Science.

Since OrionGates brought it up, don't pick the Veteran of the Concrete Jungle Edge.

oriongates - you have one more skill point.

Also, hotwiring a car is Lockpicking. Fixing it after a crash (or it getting shot) is Repair.

Any other questions, let me know.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 5, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

What's the deadline on submissions? Work's eating into my 'stare blankly into a screen' time pretty heavily right now, but it's looking to ease up soonish.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I was planning on starting next week, but if you finish up your charsheet Wendigo, I can kick things off a little early.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

FYI, I just put in my resignation at my current job and will start with a new company in a few weeks. While I'm transitioning, I might not be able to post from work, so my posting will primarily be after 6 PM EST. Shouldn't affect my ability to post in the game, but if something kicks off during the workday I won't be on top of it.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

With five players and two other expressing interest, I'm going to set up a deadline of Thursday to get char sheets to me. After that I'll close recruitment and prepare the game thread.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Things came up, so I'm extending the deadline to Sunday. After that, I'll start the game sometime next week.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Sunday is here, so it's time to close down recruitment. The five charsheets I got are in, so our characters are:

Louis Broussard, played by Byers2142
Raymond Deville, played by Ryuujin
Duke Coleman, played by Unstoppabro
Dr. John Beattie played by JackMann
Harry Allen, played by oriongates

While I start typing up the opening post, tell me how your characters met up with the others. Who knows who, who likes who (or just tolerates), that sort of thing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

I imagine Louis would know Dr. Beattie, two ways. First, Louis as a cop could have been there for the crash that killed the good doctor's wife. Later, as a PI, his knowledge of the doctor and his willingness to take seedier patients would have helped when Louis or a client of Louis's needs patched up quietly and at a discount.

Deville is an rear end. Louis works for the semi-honest, Deville works for the crooks that prey on the semi-honest. He's muscle, no brains, and Louis looks down on him for it.

Pulling Louis in to the adventure or group is easy; he's a PI. When you need something looked into and not by the cops, Louis is who you talk to.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke plays gigs in cafes and bars all over New Orleans, so he's seen quite a few faces around town. He remembers answering some questions for a detective named 'Jon Doe' and regularly talking with Harry Allen in between breaks, one time Allen bought him a drink and Duke is still looking to return the favor.

Its gonna be a bit awkward pulling Duke into the group since he doesn't have much of a relationship with the law or the crooks crawling all over the Big Easy.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Unstoppabro posted:

Its gonna be a bit awkward pulling Duke into the group since he doesn't have much of a relationship with the law or the crooks crawling all over the Big Easy.

Depends on what the scenario is, but the way I see it there's also the bad guys who are doing bad things, and the victims. Tie Duke to the victims, maybe?

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Actually that's a pretty good idea

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Unstoppabro posted:

Actually that's a pretty good idea

Don't say that, I am only allowed to have one good idea a game!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Lets see...Harry and Ray probably find themselves in a similar line of "work" and Harry may be canny enough to spot that Ray isn't exactly normal anymore. He might be friendly with Ray out of interest in his "condition"...or maybe because he figures staying on the good side of an undead slab of muscle isn't a bad idea. The two of them might even stay in the same flophouse

He could also be connected with "John Doe". Maybe he's made some cash "consulting" on a case that has the whiff of something unnatural about it. Harry doesn't actually know much about the occult other than his own Grifting but he does at least know that it exists and he's willing to throw out a line of BS to make a buck.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Will try to have the gamethread up by Friday at the latest. Sorry for the delays, folks.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Slink through the shadows, and check out the game thread.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's always work for a Doctor. Especially one who doesn't ask questions. Not that Dr. Beattie intended to have the clientele he has, but he has his own problems, and there are benefits to patients who don't have anywhere else to go. He's finally gotten his healing salve in order, and the radium rays work almost all the time. Except when they don't, but even then he's learned an awful lot. Of course he knows Louis. The man was so kind when Alice... Well. And a good patient since then. Even bringing him other business. Quite thoughtful.

Raymond. He'd been the doctor for a fight where the man had fought. He'd done quite well. John wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of those fists.

The musician, Duke. Perhaps a patient. Roughed up by someone who thought he looked like an easy mark. Maybe just a winter cold.

Harry, now. That's one who doesn't talk a lot about his doings. Still, John's not going to refuse anyone in need. The grifter's business is, ultimately, his.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

So the game is going to slow down this week. I just found out I got work training starting Tuesday running through Friday, so expect things to slow down until Friday afternoon/Saturday.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Training is done, will post more stuff on Saturday.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

With my week of training, and Labor Day weekend done, sound off if you're still here and interested in continuing the game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Yup, here and interested.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Still here, still interested, we will get through one of these eventually.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry, I'm still about. Just a bit slammed at work. Some work from my shop was a bit sloppy, so my commander's been hitting us pretty hard.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Being a bit distracted by life concerns, but still here and on board.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

4/5 players responded, just need Unstoppabro to respond. If he doesn't respond in a few days, I can still run things with 4 players.

Everyone else, feel free to post in the IC thread, make your plans and do your things.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

I think I'm already clearly going to the morgue with Doc, yeah? While the others investigate around on the street, and we all meet at the bar tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I have drill this weekend (18-20), and odds are I'll have zero internet where we'll be setting up, so from Friday Night to Sunday Afternoon I'll be unable to reply. But feel free to keep talking, either in the game thread or here.

• Locked thread