Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727092
I bought a 350 dollar Tigershark PWC off the side of the road. Rebuilt the engine, and a lot of other poo poo too.

The mechanics all work now, but it keeps sinking.

Some of the fiberglass hull was damaged, maybe 1/16 in. Dremmeled it out 1/8th in or so, sanded, cleaned with acetone. Filled it with Marinetex. It cracked in like 3 hours of use.

What do I do? West Marine suggested some GFlex epoxy since it's flexible. Should I dremmel this out again and use that? I don't want to keep laying different brand glues down to see what sticks(HEH), probably going to make the problem worse...

Basically most instructions have you working on wider, flat areas, you lay down fiberglass tape. This is at such a bizarre angle I can't find any examples on how to repair it.
Bonus super shady crane PWC lift pics

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Always glass it. It's not pretty, but it will hold.

Clean the area with acetone. Wait for it to dry. Sand well to put some tooth on the surface. Fill the crack with thickened epoxy (West Systems has a good thickening agent). Put down a layer of epoxy with a foam brush. Cover with fiberglass cloth and scrape on. Put down quite a bit of epoxy on top and scrape in with a soft plastic scraper. Make sure there are no air voids or creases, the cloth should almost disappear with the saturation. Let cure. Sand enough to smooth the surface. Glaze with another layer of epoxy using a foam brush and let cure. Sand and paint with epoxy paint or marine paint.

You can do the same on the inside if the crack goes all the way through and you can reach it. I'm guessing you can't but there's always hope. Just make sure you don't trap any moisture. I have a canoe that cracked through all the way and was fixed by this method. It's lasted 20+ years.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

mostlygray posted:

Always glass it. It's not pretty, but it will hold.

Clean the area with acetone. Wait for it to dry. Sand well to put some tooth on the surface. Fill the crack with thickened epoxy (West Systems has a good thickening agent). Put down a layer of epoxy with a foam brush. Cover with fiberglass cloth and scrape on. Put down quite a bit of epoxy on top and scrape in with a soft plastic scraper. Make sure there are no air voids or creases, the cloth should almost disappear with the saturation. Let cure. Sand enough to smooth the surface. Glaze with another layer of epoxy using a foam brush and let cure. Sand and paint with epoxy paint or marine paint.

You can do the same on the inside if the crack goes all the way through and you can reach it. I'm guessing you can't but there's always hope. Just make sure you don't trap any moisture. I have a canoe that cracked through all the way and was fixed by this method. It's lasted 20+ years.

Hmm. Do you think the West Six10 epoxy will work with glass? That was the guy's other suggestion.

Edit: Nm, the G/Flex 655 stuff they sold me will work fine for glass it looks. So, I guess I'll just get some tape or mat, cut the crack out again, sand a bit of a profile in, and lay in glass this time....thanks!

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 3, 2015

• Locked thread