Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think Schumer needed some help writing this. A lot of the jokes were great but a good number were setup and told in a very 'stand-up comedy' manner. Needed some fine tuning.

I love Amy Schumer but it definitely showed that she went from having written nothing but two minute skits for her show to a full two hour screenplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Red Eye was a great bait and switch trailer. If only the entire thing had been the tone of the romcom first half of the trailer.

Actually that makes me wonder, did trailers for From Dusk Till Dawn give away the vampire twist or was it marketed as a straight crime movie?

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's always fun when they try to sell non-English language films, as you always get a voiceover but there's never any dialogue from the movie at all.

The Don't trailer from Grindhouse parodied the formerly widespread use of American voiceovers for even British (B-)movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

I love that 1996 was a time when Harvey Keitel got top billing over George Clooney.

Wasn't From Dusk Till Dawn Clooney's big breakout film role?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Safety not Guaranteed is one that wasn't exactly advertised in a misleading way, since it was advertised as a quirky indie romantic dramedy. But the only reason anyone even knew about Safety Not Guaranteed to begin with was the YTMND ad that popularized it, and I always thought it was disappointing that they obviously used the publicity for that to shoehorn in an unrelated script.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Having just seen No Escape, I can't believe that Pierce Brosnan got so underused in an action movie, especially after how prominent he was in the marketing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

But he's James Bond! He's a ringer! He does his thing then gets killed.

I actually felt like his role drew a lot from his role in The Matador.

well why not posted:

There were a lot of advertisements that kind of explained the premise where I was, unfortunately. Seeing that movie with no clue of what it is would be an amazing experience. It'll be interesting to see what the next generation of kids think of that - with the hype subsided does The Matrix hold up? I watched it recently and it's still a great film, but I do wonder how it'll be received in the future. Fun fact: The word 'Internet' is not present in the script.

I remember talking to my college undergrad students about The Matrix a year or two ago and most of them hadn't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And there was a part near the end when Brosnan goes off on a speech about how neoliberalism fucks over the Third World and the coup was directly a result of Owen Wilson's company taking over the country's water supply and how the rebels are just doing what they're doing to protect their own kids, but it's literally just that one scene, it's immediately undercut by a joke about eating a dog, and the rest of the movie is right back to the evil Asian mob with nothing else on that revelation coming up again.

Although it is funny to think that (minor spoilers for the end if anyone cares) the Vietnamese army saves them at the end.

• Locked thread