Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

blue footed boobie posted:

Light at striker is fair. I don't think dm is much of a worry. Arsenal are a pretty good but not great team. They'll manage if they get 2-3 injuries and won't be "bad." They were always going to finish somewhere between 2nd and 4th, and I don't think there were any players out there that were really going to get them over the hump.

4th Place Trophy Mentality

Also, bad is relative, and you know that. Bad is 3rd-4th place with expectations rising this season, and the assumption there is a large sum of money to spend, a new quality keeper coming in, and the chance to splash for a big name.

United just shelled out 36 million for a 19 year old who Henry described by saying "he has pace". Letting them basically get Schneiderlin without a fight really sucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Shut the gently caress up you worthless pieces of poo poo

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It would have been nice to have signed schneiderlin and a_striker, but they just as easily could have spent 65m on schneiderlin and icardi/lacazette/Jackson Martinez and finished 3rd. I just can't get worked up about it.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Every big team spending all the cash realizes they have a chance of not winning it this year, even the mighty City. That is hog wash.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
If you think schneiderlin and a_striker were going to win arsenal the premier league or cl then Idk what to tell you.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
T Fowl vs Pragmatic_Gunner69

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

African AIDS cum posted:

lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

African AIDS cum posted:

lol someone make a new thread so I can change the title to this

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

lol someone make a new thread so I can change the title to this

Also do the needful

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think it is reasonable of Wenger to not spend £50m+ to finish 2nd instead of 3rd or 4th.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I For one can't wait to see the new Henry/Zidane in action. I bet he'll not disappoint in any way whatsoever.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014

It would have been nice to have signed schneiderlin and a_striker, but they just as easily could have spent 65m on schneiderlin and icardi/lacazette/Jackson Martinez and finished 3rd. I just can't get worked up about it.

i agree, Arsenal should not try to win at sports

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I like Wenger and have a whole lot of respect of the way he does things but Luis Suarez came pretty loving close to winning the title with an extremely flawed Liverpool team so one good player can make a difference.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ewar Woowar posted:

I like Wenger and have a whole lot of respect of the way he does things but Luis Suarez came pretty loving close to winning the title with an extremely flawed Liverpool team so one good player can make a difference.

Right but that player wasn't out there this year and I'm not going to lose my poo poo over not signing Jackson Martinez.

If a bunch of other teams made a bunch of awesome signings I'd be melting down like T Bowl, but there wasn't anyone out there that got my panties wet so I'm just going to watch the foot and hope arsenal win some games imo.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 2, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
nice meltdowns

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Realistically, Arsenal have one fit striker who most people agree isn't good enough to mount a title challenge. Theo Walcott is not a striker. Welbeck is supposedly coming back, but has been injured since April (he's also Welbeck). Would it really be the worst thing in the world to throw some cash at a Dybala/Morata/Fekir/Lacazette and see if it works out?

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Arsenal is freaking poo poo

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Broletariat posted:

Realistically, Arsenal have one fit striker who most people agree isn't good enough to mount a title challenge. Theo Walcott is not a striker. Welbeck is supposedly coming back, but has been injured since April (he's also Welbeck). Would it really be the worst thing in the world to throw some cash at a Dybala/Morata/Fekir/Lacazette and see if it works out?

No? It'd be cool if arsenal spent some money. It's not my money. I just done see the point in losing your poo poo about it this year.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I for one think it's funny to watch the meltdowns

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Couldn't Arsenal still sign Berbatov, Yakubu, or Ba? I would unironically enjoy having to rely on them when Giroud all the strikers are injured/dead in a couple months.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Yak is in Turkey, signed for Kayserispor two days ago.

Demba Ba is in China with Shanghai Shenhua.

So yes, Arsenal could still sign Berbatov, probably.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Arsenal are still contenders, though definitely weaker now than City and Chelsea on paper. What bothers me is that Wenger seems stuck in the same miserly mindset he got by with when we moved into the Emirates. There were several players that we were linked with, including Pedro, who would have been a major upgrade to what we have now, and he went for £21m. That's like half a Martial. We didn't even take a shot at him.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Breath Ray posted:

vic reeves voice: ibarbo

Lmao

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Its funny as hell that arsenal fans made thousands of speculative posts in the transfer thread and they bought nobody at all. Lol

You know what, it is. I can laugh at myself, like a grown-up

:qq:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I am proud of Wenger for learning a lesson from a man who beat him twice last season. For the first time ever he's not thrown £20-£50m away on an overrated panic buy just because the fans are crying for new signings. Did his business early and left it at that.

Good for him.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Right but that player wasn't out there this year and I'm not going to lose my poo poo over not signing Jackson Martinez.

If a bunch of other teams made a bunch of awesome signings I'd be melting down like T Bowl, but there wasn't anyone out there that got my panties wet so I'm just going to watch the foot and hope arsenal win some games imo.

Suarez wasn't that player when we bought him either. He was still a headcase admittedly.

I think it's just surprising that you didn't get another back up striker and defensive midfielder considering A. You have no depth there. B. The players you have there at the moment are either not good enough for trophies or not very experienced. C. You have plenty of money. D. You're playing in a league and three cup competitions and will pick up injuries/have to rest players.

There were plenty of players available and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Given your back up defensive midfielder is a clearly past it Arteta and your back up striker is Clearly Not A Striker Theo Walcott it would really not be difficult to improve upon.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I reckon if the clubs did an IPO arsenal would come out top

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Jackson Martinez and Morgan Schneiderlin could have both been obtained by Arsenal at reasonable fees and really pushed the team up a level, but nah..... we let them both go, one to a direct competitor because of slight wage disagreements.

It's weird to think to me too on paper I see Atletico Madrid as a stronger team than Arsenal this year with the Martinez signing, even after losing Turan and Mandzukic.

e: I am done with this thread though, meet you over in September.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 2, 2015

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is €35m for a nearly 29 year old striker who has only played in the Columbia, Mexico and Portugal really all that reasonable?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

MrBling posted:

Is €35m for a nearly 29 year old striker who has only played in the Columbia, Mexico and Portugal really all that reasonable?

In 2015, yes, and if Atletico Madrid can afford him, Arsenal loving can.

People wanted to spend €60 on Benzema or €55 on Cavani, so take it as such. (almost 28, almost 29)

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

MrBling posted:

Is it your money? If not, why do you care?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Shitshow posted:

Is it your money? If not, why do you care?

I don't care at all.

But Wenger doesn't really like overpaying for players and in the market, Martinez would qualify as overpriced.

The same thing is happening with Spurs where Levy seemingly has not realised that players are more expensive now because all the PL clubs are insanely rich. It is infuriating.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Jackson Martinez would've been a peak Arsenal signing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
And Arsenal's only big signing happened because the player didn't want to move his family.

• Locked thread