Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The so called "hero" endangered the lives of his fellow astronauts and put the entire Mars mission at risk with his little stunt.

What happens when that bum ticker of his finally gives out a million miles out from Earth, huh?

How did he smuggle a two year supply of saline solution for his contact lenses onto the ship?

Vincent Freeman was a criminal who deserved to be caught and punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
his name wasn't very subtle was it

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I dont really remember this movie too much, I think we watched it in Biology class in like my sophomore year of highschool

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
That looked like an ideal society! The best (verifiable) people in charge.

Why haven't we tried this yet ?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

That looked like an ideal society! The best (verifiable) people in charge.

Why haven't we tried this yet ?

idk but I unironically endorse that societal model, knowing full well that I wear glasses.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I always assumed he finally had that heart attack right after they broke Earth's orbit and it was too late to turn around

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
in the movie GATTACA how come they had really powerful and fast dna analysis but screens and electronics too lovely to make for a clear id pic

how come they had to draw blood every time at the turnstiles when it was clear dead skin or any other poo poo would suffice

abble how come

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i would be pissed if my parents had the option of making me 7ft 20/20 vision with a 1 foot long dick but decided not to

same thing i guess with antivaxxers who let their kids get polio

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Applewhite posted:

idk but I unironically endorse that societal model, knowing full well that I wear glasses.

it seemed a bit lazy of them not to fix his problems after the fact

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Applewhite posted:

What normal, compassionate human wouldn't ?! We could eradicate genetically passed defects in 2 -3 generations

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Also the mission was to Titan you dumb idiot

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

what do tall, beautiful, healthy and well endowed people have to feel smug about if everyone is that way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Decebal posted:

What normal, compassionate human wouldn't ?! We could eradicate genetically passed defects in 2 -3 generations

20% of people still dont vaccinate their kids

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

i would be pissed if my parents had the option of making me 7ft 20/20 vision with a 1 foot long dick but decided not to

same thing i guess with antivaxxers who let their kids get polio

I'm pissed and my parents didn't even have the option.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Aralan posted:

Also the mission was to Titan you dumb idiot

Oh so it's an even longer trip.
You're not helping Vincent's case.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Should I like, watch this movie again? Is it an actual entertainment movie? Like I thought it was just a high production edutainment movie

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
we watched it after we did a bunch of stuff about like genes and things

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Applewhite posted:

Oh so it's an even longer trip.
You're not helping Vincent's case.

No, he was definitely a criminal. We have not so distant future laws against de-gene-racy for a reason

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He had spunk, though

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I 100% agree. I was like 13 when I first saw it and that's all I could think about the entire movie.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

he had the willpower to pass testing and beat the system, frankly he worked harder than any other hopeful

he deserved to go and get everyone killed because thats what happens when you got to titab

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Also wouldn't all the other astronauts in suits notice he was inferior when they went gay from space madness and saw his inferior unengineered dong?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Did u know that the name GATTACA is a reference to a nucleotide sequence? Pretty cool huh!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

what do tall, beautiful, healthy and well endowed people have to feel smug about if everyone is that way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

I guess they'll just have to console themselves with their utopian society.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nooner posted:

I dont really remember this movie too much, I think we watched it in Biology class in like my sophomore year of highschool

loving weird, me too

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
About Jude Law's suicide: who designed a furnace that locks from the inside?

E: I also saw this movie in science class. It's almost like the movie was designed to make you think about genetics and its role in shaping your destiny!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who the heck chooses immolation as a suicide method jesus christ

[edit] except for that one goon who set himself on fire

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

in the movie GATTACA how come they had really powerful and fast dna analysis but screens and electronics too lovely to make for a clear id pic

how come they had to draw blood every time at the turnstiles when it was clear dead skin or any other poo poo would suffice

abble how come

Because it was made in 1997. This also explains why the gym had one of those gyroscope things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOK3PCKH17E

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lol at all the people watching hollywood movies for education. did you all go to the Pepsi School of Refreshing Learning?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

waitwhatno posted:

lol at all the people watching hollywood movies for education. did you all go to the Pepsi School of Refreshing Learning?

I'm sorry you never had the magic of a class movie day in your childhood.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

waitwhatno posted:

You're not very familiar with the American education system, are you?

I watched stand and deliver over 10 times in school.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I went to the Pepsi School of Refreshing Learning

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
What angle do they take when teaching about the Crystal Pepsi era? I'm guessing they just gloss over the genocide

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It was still on shelves when I was taking my refreshment studies class so we just mentioned it but didn't go in to great depth

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

waitwhatno posted:

Oh that was nothing, the teacher who showed us GATTACA had us reading old science fiction stories (like "Harrison Bergeron" and "The Veldt") and watching television adaptations of different old science fiction stories. The idea was to make us think about how technological advances might change life. He was a pretty pretentious dude, tbh

E: An example of the TV adaptations was one about this old woman who hired a doctor to keep her alive through her old age. The treatments leave her only a head hooked up to machinery, and she wants to die, but the doctor is greedy and is keeping her alive against her wishes for the money she promised him. Ring a bell for anybody?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 4, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aralan posted:

Also wouldn't all the other astronauts in suits notice he was inferior when they went gay from space madness and saw his inferior unengineered dong?

They specifically mention that he has a huge cock, moron

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pththya-lyi posted:

Oh that was nothing, the teacher who showed us GATTACA had us reading old science fiction stories (like "Harrison Bergeron" and "The Veldt") and watching television adaptations of different old science fiction stories. The idea was to make us think about how technological advances might change life. He was a pretty pretentious dude, tbh

E: An example of the TV adaptations was one about this old woman who hired a doctor to keep her alive through her old age. The treatments leave her only a head hooked up to machinery, and she wants to die, but the doctor is greedy and is keeping her alive against her wishes for the money she promised him. Ring a bell for anybody?

Yeah I read that

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Nooner posted:

We watched the first half and then the next day we had a sub so I told her we were gonna watch the movie, and then when the teacher came back we watched the first half of the movie again

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

They specifically mention that he has a huge cock, moron
haha oh yeah I forgot about that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah I read that