Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Timmy Cruise posted:

Doof doof doof doof

This should play in the background.

https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://...l8Im_wmWf7g4lUw

The system is down. The system is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves! :bahgawd: Now let's go break open that glowstick and pour it into HR's Mountain Dew. I heard they have to pump your stomach when you drink that stuff...

(I hate you guys, I'm going to have that poo poo stuck in my head all night now...)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves! :bahgawd: Now let's go break open that glowstick and pour it into HR's Mountain Dew. I heard they have to pump your stomach when you drink that stuff...

(I hate you guys, I'm going to have that poo poo stuck in my head all night now...)

Hard to believe the techno email came out nearly 14 years ago.

Here's some not-cheap-truck content. A lincoln "resto" has been occupying my garage as of late. Bought as a non-runner.

So far:
Had the transmission replaced.
removed tint from headlights and tail lights, buffed the headlights.
removed paint from badges(monsters!)
bought the only undamaged used grille within 2000 miles and swapped it for the lovely painted aluminum one
Drove to saskatoon and back to pick up a bumper, putting 1400kms on a rental car overnight.
Painted bumpers front and rear. The front had massive roadrash, the rear replacement was white.
Put running boards on
Polished 8 years of neglect off of the wheels
polished out pretty much every scratch on the body.

Before:

During:

After: (i have that hubcap in the garage. forgot to put it back on)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nice job man, good work.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kastein posted:

I was going to jam new firmware and a different SIM card on the iMetrik iLocate+ I got out of a wrecked BHPH Avalanche I found at a local picknpull, but if I had to go a different route, here's one of the things I'd do:
Premade boards route:
- arduino, Particle, etc. All the stuff the other guys already listed.

Roll-your-own route:
- Telit GE865-QUAD or similar cell radio (includes built in GPS and processor that can even run Python scripts and do delta-only OTA firmware patches)
- Taoglas SGP.18E or similar GPS antenna
- maybe an STM32Fxxx microcontroller

If possible I'd set it up to put my location on APRS with my ham callsign as well as reporting via the internet.

The easy option is just put some tracking software on a lovely prepaid android phone, wire it to a power adapter, and stick it somewhere deep in the dashboard.

I would rather have full control over my vehicle tracking system than rely on lojack and/or the cops giving enough of a poo poo fast enough to locate and recover the car before it gets beat to hell or sent to a chopshop.

e: another thing, I'd do a lovely job of hiding what looks like a tracking system as a decoy so any smart thief would find it, disable it, and think they were in the clear.

For killswitch type stuff, I'd do one of a few things...
- disable signal wiring from CPS to ECU.
- on a vehicle with a fuel pump ballast resistor (93/94 or so and earlier XJs/MJs) I'd put a relay on the ballast resistor wiring so it'd start and run, but only for a few seconds, then act like it was out of fuel.
- on a coilpack based vehicle I'd interrupt one or more coilpack trigger lines to make it misfire and run like a piece of poo poo for a minute or so before completely dying.
- maybe interrupt the alternator F, B, or I pin (depending on the type of alternator + regulator in use) with a relay to make sure it'll only run and drive for 15-60 minutes depending on battery life.

Basically, simulate the car being a janky piece of poo poo that broke down, rather than the classical "it just shut off" or no-start signs of an immobilizer system. You want them to abandon your piece of junk intact and find something better to steal, not realize you care enough about it to put an immobilizer in.

Having the immobilizer kill some but not all of the exterior lighting (one headlight, one taillight, etc) would be a great way to make sure they'll get pulled over for a pretense stop, which improves the chances of your car getting impounded after the cops notice the stolen mismatch plates and shitwads driving it rather than beat and/or chopped up.

This is amazing, I never even thought all of this was possible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

When i first got the truck back, i pulled the fuse for the fuel pump. I went to move it and forgot about that, and smoked out half of the neighborhood before it shut off.

Luckily it's a 7.3 powerstroke and it doesn't give a poo poo, I would have been bleeding injector lines on a 5.9 cummins or replacing injectors on a 6.0 powerstroke.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've run my w126 diesel out of fuel like 3 times (because the fuel gauge is vague at best and the reserve light doesn't come on) and I didn't even have to prime it the last two times to get it started again, old diesels don't give a gently caress

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
post is not edit!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've been taking the shifter out of the truck as another layer of security, and loving lost it.

I had to make a temporary one to move the truck around.

I'll have to get a big chunk of round stock and make a real replacement at some point.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Powershift posted:

When i first got the truck back, i pulled the fuse for the fuel pump. I went to move it and forgot about that, and smoked out half of the neighborhood before it shut off.

Luckily it's a 7.3 powerstroke and it doesn't give a poo poo, I would have been bleeding injector lines on a 5.9 cummins or replacing injectors on a 6.0 powerstroke.

I ran my 6.0 out of fuel twice last summer. I finally realized the fuel gauge is completely unreliable. And now it runs like poo poo. Injectors are in my future. My 7.3 could probably run dry on old sludgy crude oil and would fire up and run.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

One of my coworkers has a killswitch in his in his race truck (boxy 80s s10 with 6.0 lq9 and 200 shot of nitrous) for this reason. He had it at a shop being painted when one of the shop employees decided that taking the truck on a weekend joyride was a good idea. Dumbass drove it back to the shop on monday with the interior filled with trash and beer cans. Said coworker is currently trying to figure out the best way to wire a high output ignition coil to the ignition lock cylinder which would be tied into said killswitch. That boy gives no fucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

One of my coworkers has a killswitch in his in his race truck (boxy 80s s10 with 6.0 lq9 and 200 shot of nitrous) for this reason. He had it at a shop being painted when one of the shop employees decided that taking the truck on a weekend joyride was a good idea. Dumbass drove it back to the shop on monday with the interior filled with trash and beer cans. Said coworker is currently trying to figure out the best way to wire a high output ignition coil to the ignition lock cylinder which would be tied into said killswitch. That boy gives no fucks.

I was thinking about that with a stereo capacitor, but decided on a super loud alarm inside the cab. I don't want a junkie to poo poo himself inside my truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Stereo caps are low voltage anyways, no worse than sticking a finger in a cig lighter outlet.

what you want is a piezo or transformer based asszappitator setup. Would be better off with something like a .25 cement nailer blank firing gun mounted under the bed, electronically triggered by a whisker switch when someone pushes the lock cylinder in way too hard. If it doesn't wake you up it will sure scare them off.

Fake edit: probably illegal as fuuuuuuck

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Stereo caps are low voltage anyways, no worse than sticking a finger in a cig lighter outlet.

what you want is a piezo or transformer based asszappitator setup. Would be better off with something like a .25 cement nailer blank firing gun mounted under the bed, electronically triggered by a whisker switch when someone pushes the lock cylinder in way too hard. If it doesn't wake you up it will sure scare them off.

Fake edit: probably illegal as fuuuuuuck

Wire up some camera flash caps on a relay connected to wire woven in the seat.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Powershift posted:

My old box was busted as gently caress, and everybody wanted $1000 for a take-off. seemed kinda dumb paying $1000 for a box when a whole truck is $750, so i held firm with the statement that i would pay $200 for a box. My dad found one for $300 on kijiji, and by the time i got off my rear end to get ahold of the guy he dropped it to $200. He had it listed as "damaged', but all the damage is cosmetic in an area you can't see. it was in a front end collision with a toolbox in the back, so the front is bowed, and there were a couple broken spotwelds underneath, but nothing essential. the rest of the box is fuckin mint.

So so close to becoming a legend. Anybody who's ever pulled a box off a ford probably knows how lucky i was to even get 5.

Haha, look at you and your fancy star head bolts. My chosen year group uses carriage bolts on the top, and rust on the bottom. That said, I managed 6 of 8 once, but one of the slots for a bolt rounded out :(

It's somewhat easier for me to buy a whole non-running/wrecked truck just for the bed and then junkyard the rest.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
IIRC I got four out, broke one, and the sixth was holding down a piece of bed floor that was no longer connected at all to the rest of the bed on my dad's Ranger, so we just left it there and removed the bed. It's been a few years now though so I might be misremembering this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I slathered bedliner all over the roof today. The mediocre result is a direct reflection of my half-assed approach.

It was all going ok until my spray can ran out of propellant. i made a huge mess cutting it open and then just gooped it all on with a paintbrush.

I really wanted to paint it up nice and glossy, but we already saw our first hailstorm a few days ago. I figured bedliner would absorb the impact a little bit. Hopefully it'll look a little better once i get the rear window tinted, and clean it all up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're supposed to black out the hood, dude. I guess when you're a million feet tall the condition of the truck's roof is also noticeable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The hood is in pretty drat good shape. The roof had a pile of holes and rust.

I'm not sure it would make a good tofu delivery vehicle, anyways.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cut the roof for one of those Subaru roof vents.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Cut the roof for one of those Subaru roof vents.

Water intake for a post-work shower?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Are you going to paint the roof, or leave it black? I guess it heating up the cab isn't a big concern where you're at,and you have decent insulation anyway?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Atmus posted:

Are you going to paint the roof, or leave it black? I guess it heating up the cab isn't a big concern where you're at,and you have decent insulation anyway?

For every day where we get four hours of sundimness in the winter, we get just as many days with twenty hours of directly over your head lighting the forest on fire days of searing sunfure in the summer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hated how the bedliner roof looked, so i spent like 2 hours stripping it. back to square one, but the truck got kicked out of the garage for a different project, again. This time a father/son type deal

Big green bus.

Ok, maybe grabber blue. It's a monster bus. It's the heavierspec, but yet only 16 passenger. That means it has a 7.6 liter DT466 engine(pre-emissions), Allison 2500 transmission, giant disk brakes all around, heavy duty suspension and driveline. and 43" traction tires on 22.5" wheels. all to carry 1 more passenger than a ford van. The bus itself is only 25 feet long and 8 feet wide, with a 158" wheelbase a little larger than a CCLB 1 ton with the wheelbase of a CCSB. That means i can park anywhere a pickup would normally park and piss off a few neighbors.

It was a coal mine truck, so step 1 was stripping it the gently caress down and hosing it the gently caress off. Going at the undercarriage with a fire hose, the coal was flowing out as thick as oil.

The living space is about 7.5 feet x 16 feet.

What's left
-interior, it's all entirely up in the air at this point.
-Fuel tank. The tank in it only seems to be about 80 liters, which is only enough for ~400kms.
-removing all the god drat reflective tape that's all disintegrating.
-Regear. It's got a 5.67 rear end which means redline in top gear is only about 90kph, which also means 6th gear is programmed out
-do something to make it look less schoolbussey, i guess.
-replace 1 exterior panel and a couple feet of rub bar.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
build a bachelors den outta it. :D

Rules, second bus in ai.

E: you fucker, you got led indicators.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Total newbie question, but why would they program it not to use 6th if the rear gearing is too short? Seems like that'd be when you want to be able to use 6th.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Total newbie question, but why would they program it not to use 6th if the rear gearing is too short? Seems like that'd be when you want to be able to use 6th.

From what i understand, the ratios are so close together at that point, it only drops ~300 RPM at the designated operating speed of the bus. You would lose too much time shifting back and forth between 5-6 at 90kph, which is what a lot of schoolbusses are limited to. The high rear gear makes full use of the engine's power band without concern for fuel economy. Factory school bus tune is only 210hp/520ft/lbs, which is where they get their fuel savings. You can't put any more fuel through the injectors than it takes to make 210hp.

I got 10mpg at redline doing 90kph. If we can get 6th programmed in and a 3.55 rear end, it could do 12-15mpg.

I should also mention despite not weighing a whole lot, and not being designed for a trailer, the thing has an exhaust brake. Let off the throttle and it lets out a little sigh, and then starts dragging you down pretty quick. I could see never having to use the real brakes in the mountains and stuff.

cursedshitbox posted:

build a bachelors den outta it. :D

Rules, second bus in ai.

E: you fucker, you got led indicators.

I think that means we have to race.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 8, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

I think that means we have to race.

Drag race or canyons?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You bought a monster truck bus. I'm fairly sure my kid would die of excitement if I bought that home.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
NEAI Power tour?!??!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Do your neighbors run some sort of betting pool on what you're going to have in the driveway any given week?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You are a golden god and that bus is your chariot

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
If that thing isn't painted with a flame job and named "Cool Bus" your AI membership is being revoked.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Huge_Midget posted:

If that thing isn't painted with a flame job and named "Cool Bus" your AI membership is being revoked.

Or a P40 style shark mouth: http://www.ihatedecals.ca/collections/side-graphics/products/shark-decal?variant=6539287489

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo that bus is the stuff of dreams right there.

This thread just got 100 times better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This, i like.

KozmoNaut posted:

Drag race or canyons?

offroad?

slidebite posted:

Do your neighbors run some sort of betting pool on what you're going to have in the driveway any given week?

No, but one came and asked if i owned anything that wasn't obnoxiously loud. So far with this one, it's 2 very for, 1 very against.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can someone photoshop mashup that bus and fury roads gigahorse please?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Figured out at the car wash that the bus has the same turning circle as my pickup. It's wheelbase is only 20 inches longer than my pickup. It's identical to an extended cab/long box. All the space inside is gained from a short nose, an a very vertical stature. Anywhere a 1 ton pickup will go, this thing will go. You can street park it downtown or take off up a logging road. It does all the things a normal motorhome can't do.

3rd washing, there's still a pile of coal on top of the transmission and fuel tank. The inside is really fuckin clean though. There are guys who take the coal mine pick-ups, clean them, up, and sell them on, i can't imagine how hosed those things are. This bus wasn't hard to remove the entire dash, all the defroster vents and that were fed off of 1 easily removable box. both big heaters were easily opened up to clean inside. The trucks you can't clean that hard stuff without total dissasembly. At some point the new owner is going to have to pull the door pannel off to fix a window regulator or something, and have to shovel 5 pounds of coal out of the inside of the door. those engines being choked by a single 1 square foot air filter covered in coal. This thing has a pre-filter, and then inner and outer cone filters totaling probably 10 square feet. After cleaning all the coal dust out of this thing, i wouldn't even for a second consider buying a pick-up that came out of a coal mine.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Powershift posted:

No, but one came and asked if i owned anything that wasn't obnoxiously loud. So far with this one, it's 2 very for, 1 very against.

I hope every time he asked the question you revved the motor and shouted "WHAT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Shampoo posted:

I hope every time he asked the question you revved the motor and shouted "WHAT?"

Does Powershift even own anything obnoxiously loud? Does the Lincoln have glass packs or open headers or something and I missed it?

• Locked thread