Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a gripe that has nothing to do with spying.

When you search and click on things, they build a profile around you and then deliver you things that they think you'd want to see. Fine. A lot of people itt are saying 'sounds good.'

My problem is doesn't the internet become a bit of an echo chamber then? Every time I search, Google/MS presents me with what they think I'd want to see. Things that are more relevant to me not necessarily my search terms. The issue there then is when I search for some news or whatever, I get presented with things that are already going to confirm my biases. It becomes harder and harder to really get to the good info or info that the algorithm thinks I wouldn't be interested in (the opposing opinion). Instead of finding information and keeping an open mind, people just get fed more crap; whether it be politics, liberal/conservative, or even just regular every day poo poo.

Unless you intentionally search for things contrary to your opinion (so like almost no one), you'll get people typing in 'Obama' and getting back all kinds of bullshit about birth certificates and insane plots because that's what the algorithm thinks they want to see based on their previous searches.

You've searched for natural medicine and alternatives to western medicine? Well now there's going to be tons of anti-vaccine and homeopathy front loaded in your search results all the time.

The YouTube suggestions update is as small example of this. In the relevant videos below, where normally there's just poo poo related to what you're watching, they've started adding videos recommended for you. Alright cool but when I'm listening to Scarface I want to see Geto Boys in the list down there, not Slavoj Zizek.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i can't wait to upgrade my windows 7 to windows 10 to get a piece of these great app deals!

is that real

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

yeah, DVD play back is a patented thing that requires microsoft pay a license fee per copy of windows 10 sold. of course they have no interest in paying this fee for millions of free upgrades so they took out DVD playback capabilities

you say this like it isn't something that would get pitched and seriously considered at a meeting

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's hilarious to me that tech companies can just basically do whatever the gently caress they want because 50% of people are too computer illiterate to be able to form an opinion and 40%just straight don't give a poo poo or always go 'weren't they already doing that oh well.'

• Locked thread